Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Malcolm McLaren is a goner
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 1:29 pm

[url=http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/malcolm-mclaren-die s-aged-64-1939621.html][/url]
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 1:31 pm

Just heard that. RIP.
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 1:31 pm

r.i.p.
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 2:01 pm

R.I.P.

We saw some of his films at Art Basel: Miami (2009) and he was still an interesting cat; making art and causing trouble.
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 2:08 pm

RIP

anyone who's boned Vivienne Westwood is pretty cool in my book...
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 2:14 pm

RIP
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 2:24 pm

duck rock, rip.
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 3:05 pm

round the outside.

round the outside.
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 4:22 pm

Ugh... I just announced this at work and everyone looked at me like I was speaking Martian... feeling geriatric right now.
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 5:21 pm

go seek your gang, yeah!
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 6:36 pm

*shrug*
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 6:39 pm

feeling geriatric right now.

like, avoiding being raped by agent oranges roadies in 1985?
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 6:44 pm

When they bust out the duct tape, all bets are off...
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 8:22 pm

It's OK...he's with Sid now.
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 11:46 pm

Didn't he create Hot Topic?
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 11:56 pm

avoiding being raped by agent oranges roadies in 1985?

all bets are off...

Ha! You laugh now... but you are useless against my powerful Shaolin many roadie beatdown technique, I will kill your duct tape until it is dead from my violence!
Posted: Apr 9, 2010 12:19 am

Didn't he create Hot Topic?
conceptually, yes
Posted: Apr 9, 2010 4:29 am

I seen him a few years ago on The Baron, where he was running for position as The Baron ( the mayor) of a tiny shithole in Scotland.
The whole town was extreme wee free christian lunatics. He got on stage and said " God is a sausage" and was run out of town. They were going to kill him. He came last. He called stuff like that Situationist, i just thought it was fucking hilarious. Skip in Peace
Posted: Apr 9, 2010 8:17 am

He is now with Sausage God. Rest in Casing.
Posted: Apr 9, 2010 2:48 pm

Cash From Chaos

RIP Great Rock-N-Roll Swindler
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 2:51 am

A friend of mine was wondering after seeing a picture of Malcolm why band managers always look so "straight." Obviously she's not familiar with his full-bondage-suit antics in The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle; unzipping the mouthpiece to talk about his invention "the punk rock" and things. Rocked a whole bunch of "Duck For The Oyster" yesterday in protest. RIP Malcolm

Ha! You laugh now... but you are useless against my powerful Shaolin many roadie beatdown technique, I will kill your duct tape until it is dead from my violence!

I am indeed laughing now; no idea what you're on about but, uh, thank you?!
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 2:52 am

I kick myself REALLY hard now for not buying that book on the Situationists years ago; that whole thing was EXACTLY where Malcolm was coming from
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 6:41 am

that book on the Situationists

I haven't yet seen a copy, but this new collection looks promising: "The Situationists and the City" by Tom McDonough
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 2:53 pm

I haven't yet seen a copy, but this new collection looks promising: "The Situationists and the City" by Tom McDonough

Thanks; I'll check that out later. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the particular book I looked at; at Quimby's in Chicago some ten years ago or more, so it's probably no wonder I don't right?! I just remember a lot of collage work and sloganeering that looked to be a direct and pronounced influence on Malcolm and on Jamie Reid's artwork as well
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 6:08 pm

pronounced influence on Malcolm and on Jamie Reid's artwork as well

Definitely. I think this has been fairly well documented.
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 6:30 pm

lipstick traces greil marcus
Posted: Apr 11, 2010 1:33 am

lipstick traces greil marcus

No it wasn't that one; I read that or tried to anyway. More of an art book; not a lot of explanatory text
Posted: Apr 11, 2010 2:26 am

i'm reading revolution of everyday life by vaneigem. situationism is one of my favorite critical theories. they seemed to want to have a lot more fun than the rest.
Posted: Apr 11, 2010 11:55 am | Edited by: The Driver

...or tried to anyway.

No shit. Throwing that book across the room was not nearly satisfying enough. I wanted a chance to throw it at the author.

I'm stumped on what book you saw. I worked in an Art Book store for years, and saw plenty of Situationist-related titles, often with illustrations, but yeah, heavy with text. The Situationist City by Simon Sadler comes to mind. I'm assuming it was in English? I'm sure Quimby's could have imported some small press or gallery item such as described ... now I want one.
Posted: Apr 11, 2010 12:42 pm | Edited by: The Driver

On the Passage of a Few People Through a Rather Brief Moment in Time
The Situationist International 1957-1972

http://www.ubu.com/film/si.html
Posted: Apr 11, 2010 12:43 pm

No shit. Throwing that book across the room was not nearly satisfying enough. I wanted a chance to throw it at the author.

The phrase "incoherent rant" comes to mind; I didn't understand where the hell he was trying to go with that and after no more than 50 or 60 pages didn't want to or care either. I enjoy some pretty out-there/ non-linear/ abstract things, but not when it comes to nonfiction. Greil Marcus has a whole stack of "cultural history" books like that doesn't he?!

I shouldn't have mentioned the Situationist book; get mad at myself for not remembering useful details about things and yet here I go. Sorry about that.
Posted: Apr 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Posted: Apr 11, 2010 8:58 pm | Edited by: eric o

guy debord society of the spectacle is the start... though not necessarily "fun" reading.

also andre breton Nadja, second manifesto of surrealism...
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 12:04 pm

instead of reading the situationist books, let's just put 'em up on the internetz so everybody's web browser can find them.
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 6:04 pm

though not necessarily "fun" reading
agreed, but some of the shit in there is mind blowing.
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 9:36 pm

not necessarily "fun" reading.

more fun than Greil Marcus!!!
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 7:12 am

Posted: Apr 13, 2010 7:34 am

McLaren & Meyer & Rotten & Vicious & me

john and lester and me

http://www.furious.com/perfect/bangsmarcuspistols.html

Posted: Apr 21, 2010 12:44 pm

YES!

(BBC) The family of punk impresario Malcolm McLaren have asked mourners to observe a "minute of mayhem" ahead of his funeral on Thursday.

McLaren's son, Joseph Corre, said fans should crank up their stereos with raucous music at midday on 22 April "in celebration of Malcolm's life".

"Put on your favourite records and let it RIP!" he added.

The funeral is expected to take place in Highgate Cemetery after a procession through London.

The cortege will be led through the streets of Camden, including Camden High Street and Chalk Farm Road.

Fans are being encouraged to pay their respects along the route, but McLaren's family have asked for privacy at the cemetery.

The music mogul died from mesothelioma, a rare cancer which is most commonly associated with exposure to asbestos, in a Swiss clinic earlier this month.

He was renowned for managing punk provocateurs The Sex Pistols, as well as his own musical projects in the 1980s.

Corre, whose mother is fashion designer Vivienne Westwood, announced the funeral plans on his charity website, Humanade.

McLaren's family have asked that donations be made to the charity, which fights human rights abuses, in place of floral tributes.
Posted: Apr 21, 2010 2:39 pm

I broke out my copy of "fans" 'cuz of this thread. Malcolm Mclaren had puffy areolas.
Posted: Apr 21, 2010 2:49 pm

Oh yeah, I've been saying that "god is a sausage" line to the people I work with. They're religious and all, but yet they agree with me when I say it.
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 1:50 pm

Malcolm was here.

(the funeral procession, and mourners)
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 9:03 pm

Adam Ant and Zombies! Malcom puts the fun in funeral.
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 11:01 pm

fuck yeah. life is better because of him.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 12:58 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®