Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Alex Chilton is a GONER
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 7:38 pm

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 7:41 pm

goddammit
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 7:49 pm

fuck. bummed. FUCK! I think Big Star was lined up to play the Overton park shell soon. completely bummed.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:01 pm

my facebook profile pic (for the last two weeks or so) has been me holding up Radio City l.p. ('cause i found one 'o them zodiac sex posters and i have a room the same red as that Eggleston photo.) r.i.p.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:13 pm

wow. well. shit.

here's just part of the reason i'm a lil sad

http://www.furious.com/perfect/alexchilton.html
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:26 pm

This fucking sucks. RIP.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:26 pm

wow, indeed. memphis music has had a fucked up year and it's only march.

rip.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:36 pm

Heartbroken...so few artist ever make me "FEEL" (pun not intended) the way Big Star does...and it's no less intense now than it was when I was 20.

I sometimes get annoyed when I play them at work and people are talking or just oblivious to it...RIP to one amazing dude.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:41 pm

god dammit. this fucking sucks.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:43 pm

great article.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:45 pm

oh, no. my condolences to those of you that knew him in your own town.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:52 pm

oh, no. my condolences to those of you that knew him in your own town.
Alex was hanging with Goners???

But yeah, this really sucks. I was just listening to Big Star earlier today - unaware that Alex wasn't with us anymore.
totally blows. RIP.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:54 pm

Wow...bummer....R.I.P.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:54 pm

michael baker, you've got some great turns of phrase.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:58 pm

But I know that her soul has gone to heaven
There she is ever free from...pain
And to her a brighter crown is given
And no more she will wear the darkie's chain

A favorite moment from a favorite record.

Damn.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 9:01 pm

Very sad. RIP
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 9:01 pm

Alex was hanging with Goners???

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 9:03 pm

very sorry to hear this. rest in peace.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 9:06 pm

fuck. Rip
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 9:08 pm

damn, baker. thinking about that article is bumming me the fuck out.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 9:10 pm

goddamn. RIP.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 9:18 pm

My deepest empathy to his family and closest of friends.
It was a privilege to meet the man and talk to him a bit.
I am a huge fan.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 9:31 pm

i heard like flies ONCE. i remember it being pretty fucking cool. ignorant of hid accomplidhmnentd i knoe wh was a major plsayoer
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 10:11 pm

today, real proud to be a September Gurl...

first time I snuck into a bar to see some rock 'n roll, it was to see LX. Those Big Star records were such a huge piece of my youth. they were the soundtrack to riding around southern Wisconsin in my friend's Dodge Dart, smoking weed, singing along with Radio City or #1 Record...

such shocking news.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 10:24 pm

I loved Alex, and he was always real nice to me when I ran into him. He like, remembered me. "Aren't you..."
I'm so sorry he's gone. He was definitely one of a kind. Remember during Katrina every one was trying to find him...

Love you, Alex. Lord knows you'll rest in peace.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 10:42 pm

But I know that her soul has gone to heaven
There she is ever free from...pain
And to her a brighter crown is given
And no more she will wear the darkie's chain

A favorite moment from a favorite record.

Especially when the other dead guy starts hollering, right before the guitar solo.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 10:53 pm

When I think about the good love you gave me, I cry like a baby...

I really did love him.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 11:44 pm

like flies is one of my favorite records,.

RIP
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 12:17 am

i found a quick fix remedy to help not be so bummed out by this tonight.

go throw on kid congo and pmb's dracula boots lp. it instantly cheered me up.
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 12:48 am

Really sad. It wasn't unusual to see Alex playing to a few drunks on weeknights in bars in Memphis in the 1980's while simultaneously being lionized in national music press as a legendary musician and producer. RIP.
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 1:16 am

I just reacquainted myself with Feudalist Tarts the last couple of days (found a vinyl copy over the weekend). Big Star were and still are a big part of my musical diet. BUMMED BAD is how I feel.
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 1:51 am

Never understood why Like Flies On Sherbert had such a bad reputation, as it sounded great to me immediately. Couldn't listen to it today though; bummed me right out. Mentioned his passing to my mom and she didn't know who I was talking about until I said he was the guy who sang "The Letter." Anyway, RIP Mr. Chilton; 2010 can eat shit right about now.
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 2:21 am

Posted: Mar 18, 2010 3:15 am

was he in Sparklehorse too?
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 3:41 am

NOW THAT SHIT WAS FUNNY!!!!!
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 7:28 am

Posted: Mar 18, 2010 8:00 am

The worst news. RIP. Like Flies is amazing.
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 8:43 am

Goddamn! I saw the title of this thread and my heart sunk...then I thought maybe he's just wearing a Goner T-shirt....goddamn.
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 8:53 am

Too many good one, too soon. This just breaks my heart.
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 8:54 am

I listen to Cubist Blues practically every morning on my commute into work...it's my groggy, don't crash music. I like it better than Flies.

grrtch that's the premise for a TV show I think..har har.
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 8:59 am

I've Had It

RIP
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 9:46 am

RIP indeed.
He was always real nice to me in nyc. this totally sucks.
I remember seeing him at the knitting factory once when the power went out. He sat on the bar and took requests with an acoustic guitar. The audience was ecstatic! The show went on and it was really fun.

such a loss...
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 9:59 am

Posted: Mar 18, 2010 10:52 am

This is a response to the article Jeremy just posted....

"A few years ago on a festival with GOR in Spain, Alex introduced a new song and said "this is off the new record, people hate it, the critics say its horrible... don't worry, in 30 years you'll love it!"
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 11:31 am

Posted: Mar 18, 2010 11:43 am

Very Sad....R.I.P.
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 11:50 am

I went way back and listening to side 2 of Neon Rainbow. if you turn on just the left channel, all you get is Alex's preternatural soulful kid voice ...
Gotta Find Somebody.

sure Big Star is iconic, but the "Box Tops" tracks established him right away.

Thanks Alex!
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 11:51 am

so sad,

like Cohen said, Alex Chilton is an embodiment of Memphis music:

"hard different independent brilliant beautiful"

RIP to a rock'n roll legend
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 12:43 pm

Oh No!... this is a real drag. RIP
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 2:09 pm

One of the first "cult" musicians I really flipped over. I first heard him with Feudalist Tarts. I had to go back and discover all the Big Star stuff. One of the greatest. RIP.

Anybody see the impromptu set he did a few years ago in the big back room behind Ernestine and Hazel's? He announced it from the stage at the end of Big Star's set at the Beale St. Festival. It was all sloppy covers and Alex played drums for a while.
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 2:14 pm

Chilton & The Cramps

Posted: Mar 18, 2010 2:43 pm

Chilton & The Cramps

WOAH.
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 4:16 pm

pretty great
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 4:36 pm

here he is doing a kick ass version of DOMINO from the hot club in philly in 77...

http://www.mediafire.com/?myiyzxlyht1
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 6:09 pm

Fuck.
Posted: Mar 21, 2010 2:28 am

Westerberg's NYT Op-Ed on Chilton

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/opinion/21westerberg.html

Beyond the Box Tops

By PAUL WESTERBERG
Published: March 20, 2010

HOW does one react to the death of one's mentor? My mind instantly slammed down the inner trouble-door that guards against all thought, emotion, sadness. Survival mode. Rock guitar players are all dead men walking. It's only a matter of time, I tell myself as I finger my calluses. Those who fail to click with the world and society at large find safe haven in music to sing, write songs, create, perform. Each an active art in itself that offers no promise of success, let alone happiness.
Yet success shone early on Alex Chilton, as the 16-year-old soulful singer of the hit-making Box Tops. Possessing more talent than necessary, he tired as a very young man of playing the game touring, performing at state fairs, etc. So he returned home to Memphis. Focusing on his pop writing and his rock guitar skills, he formed the group Big Star with Chris Bell. Now he had creative control, and his versatility shone bright. Beautiful melodies, heart-wrenching lyrics: "I'm in Love with a Girl," "September Gurls."
On Big Star's masterpiece third album, Alex sang my favorite song of his, "Nighttime" a haunting and gorgeous ballad that I will forever associate with my floor-sleeping days in New York. Strangely, the desperation in the line "I hate it here, get me out of here" made me, of all things, happy. He went on to produce more artistic, challenging records. One equipped with the take-it-or-leave-it no, excuse me, with the take-it-like-I-make-it title "Like Flies on Sherbert." The man had a sense of humor, believe me.
It was some years back, the last time I saw Alex Chilton. We miraculously bumped into each other one autumn evening in New York, he in a Memphis Minnie T-shirt, with take-out Thai, en route to his hotel. He invited me along to watch the World Series on TV, and I immediately discarded whatever flimsy obligation I may have had. We watched baseball, talked and laughed, especially about his current residence he was living in, get this, a tent in Tennessee.
Because we were musicians, our talk inevitably turned toward women, and Al, ever the Southern gentleman, was having a hard time between bites communicating to me the difficulty in ... you see, the difficulty in (me taking my last swig that didn't end up on the wall, as I boldly supplied the punch line) "... in asking a young lady if she'd like to come back to your tent?" We both darn near died there in a fit of laughter.
Yeah, December boys got it bad, as "September Gurls" notes. The great Alex Chilton is gone folk troubadour, blues shouter, master singer, songwriter and guitarist. Someone should write a tune about him. Then again, nah, that would be impossible. Or just plain stupid.
Posted: Mar 21, 2010 10:45 am

Because we were musicians, our talk inevitably turned toward women, and Al, ever the Southern gentleman, was having a hard time between bites communicating to me the difficulty in ... you see, the difficulty in (me taking my last swig that didn't end up on the wall, as I boldly supplied the punch line) "... in asking a young lady if she'd like to come back to your tent?" We both darn near died there in a fit of laughter.
brilliant.
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 1:14 pm | Edited by: The Driver

We drove to Chicago last week to catch the William Eggleston Exhibition at The Art Institute. The show is overwhelming, even if you're familiar with the work; full of beauty and love and surprise (moments of tenderness) Of course, Alex is a presence. There's a sketchbook open to a page where Bill had drawn a mock-up of the Flies LP jacket (no bigger than a matchbook) opposite one of his marker doodle/drawings. We sat and watched Furry Lewis on the monitors. Later that evening, over drinks, K. handed me her cell phone and mumbled I think J's got bad news...

Video footage by William Eggleston from "Stranded in Canton," of Alex Chilton and Sid Selvidge playing "My Rival" in Memphis, TN, circa mid-1970's

Rest in peace.
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Nice clip. Thanks. Been listening to nothing but Chilton for about a week now.
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 9:37 pm | Edited by: Beer Joint

Chilton w/ Teenage Fanclub in Glasgow from 96 on youtube.....I know what I'll be coming back to tomorrow. I always liked Teenage Fanclub but don't know where they're from, Glasgow? I think.
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 2:33 pm

Westerberg's NYT Op-Ed on Chilton

way to squeeze one more ounce outta Alex, Paul.
can we look forward to your contribution to "Cigar Afficionado" about Chilton as well?
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 6:14 pm

We drove to Chicago last week to catch the William Eggleston Exhibition at The Art Institute.

wow. i didn't even know that was here. looks like i will be going very soon.
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 8:58 pm

man, that alone is a worth a trip to chicago
Posted: Mar 25, 2010 9:35 am

man, that alone is a worth a trip to chicago

The exhibition's up until May 23rd. I was a little disappointed to see so many C-prints, instead of those gorgeous and lush dye transfers, but the difference is subtle, and it's a treat to see rooms full of photos you've only ever seen reproduced in books and magazines (and on album jackets).
Posted: Mar 25, 2010 9:48 pm

I'd recently been telling anyone who would listen that Like Flies On Sherbert is the best album...a big loss!
Posted: Mar 25, 2010 11:34 pm

Really not into the Big Star show at the Shell.

I give 'em the SXSW show, though. Sounds like it turned out great.
Posted: Mar 25, 2010 11:39 pm

RIP Alex Chilton.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 12:14 am

Really not into the Big Star show at the Shell.

jeez, that's still on?
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 12:20 am

I want to order some Big Star records, I only have the first, but I hate being one those douches that buy something when the artist dies. What the hell, I'll live with it.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 1:19 am

It's good stuff. Don't worry about it.

You need 'em all. And solo stuff after that.
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 8:33 am | Edited by: greg O

It's shaping up to be a bad year for the guys who are the living, breathing calling cards of Memphis Rock and Roll. RIP
Posted: Mar 28, 2010 12:26 pm

Some asshole aggrivated me to wanting to jump off the damn bridge yesterday at work!!! But i dont think my friends could take off any more time to go to another funeral right now!!!
Posted: Mar 28, 2010 12:56 pm

Just kiddin' the air out on the street in nola has heads hangin too. Jay was an adopted part of our city. And alex has loved hear so long. Black Clouds!
Posted: Mar 28, 2010 1:13 pm

the living, breathing calling cards
if i had a maternalistic side, i'd tell all my favorite memphis musicians to wear helmets and buckle their seat belts and look both ways and all those other things moms tell us, but know we don't like to listen to.
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 4:02 pm

keep on keepin' greg! it was good to see ya last january even though it sucked cuz it was jays funeral...come to NOLA!!! i ll steel ya some cash if thats what it takes!
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 11:29 am

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2010/04/post_7.html

I can't attest for the accuracy of anything that this dude typed up, but maybe folks would like to read it.
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 1:46 pm

Wow...thanks for that thopkins
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 2:24 pm

Cohen ended his Chilton tribute with this: "He is an embodiment of Memphis music: hard, different, independent, brilliant, beautiful. We're lucky he came our way."

AMEN!!!
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 2:34 pm

Y'all should also read Tav Falco's peace on Chilton's demise : "(...) and now I wonder, as the last grain of sand has sped through the hourglass, who... will keep the rhythm? Raise our glasses to console the living for the loss of a comrade fallen in the snow, which in its chill and whiteness is purifying, rather than fallen in the desert, which is barren."

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=35628 182&blogId=531270850
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 2:55 pm

Posted: Apr 7, 2010 6:15 pm

really cool.

At least twice in the week before his fatal heart attack, Chilton experienced shortness of breath and chills while cutting grass. But he did not seek medical attention, Kersting said, in part because he had no health insurance.
this makes me want to puke.
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 6:38 pm

I just read that and loved it so much.
Not the part about no health insurance, of course.
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 6:40 pm

Next Story: Sting coming to New Orleans in June with an orchestra
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 6:59 pm

he shuda signed up for the Musician's Clinic!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®