Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 1:21 am

Something that has stuck in my craw about the Sparklehorse thread is that idiots throw out the word ironic. The music that Marc Liinhous was making was utterly sincere. Much like Eliot Smith, who he will now be endilibly linked, he meant it. Call it sensitive or even precious, but it was not ironic. Much like the Oblivians and the Silver Kings doing things honestly and bad- ass in an age when scenes were defined by leather jackets and posturing- those guys were making honest music.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 1:48 am

I think most people have forgotten what the fuck irony even means, if they ever knew the definition in the first place

I blame alanis
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:07 am | Edited by: Beer Joint

I think talking about your motorcycle all the time and riding lawnmoyer and muscle car and also wearing a truck drivers hat and dressing like a truck driver but at the same time playing crappy, wimpy, introspective music in a band called "Sparklehorse" fits the definition of IRONIC swimmingly.

So go cry to your teddybear that somebody told you that your sucky music sucks.

thank you goodnight.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:09 am

GODDAMN!
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:19 am

Yes yes. But although the more I read the more I agree with Kierkegaard that irony can is "infinite, absolute negativity," I also see too many examples—dear jane austen, eg—that irony reveals truth, complex relations, and loftier states of mind. Irony in other words shd not suggest the opposite of the oblivians' "honest" music. Irony that is dishonest is often simply cheap sarcasm you're talking about, the hillbilly cousin of irony.

Alanis obscured the world fer sure but for whom—16 yr old girls? It has been abused by anchormen for decades, just to name one consciousness-saturating subgroup. "It's ironic that it's March and we are still having snow." Yuck

Go West Va!, he hopes non-ironically.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:20 am

I'm serious though...If he was into guns and motorcycles so much, then why didn't he write songs about those things, instead of the complete bullshit he did right songs about?

And then telling us we should like him because he worked for a distro and recorded in his basement...is like telling us we should like his shitty songs about nothing because he also liked guns and cool cars....fuck that.

Pen and Teller should do an episode of BULLSHIT about that guy.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:23 am

...and comparing him to Jay Reatard to me is really fucking offensive.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:28 am

i'm in louisville for 8 days in june--joan dark playing?
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 9:38 am | Edited by: Beer Joint

That could be arranged. I'll get you in for free if it's at a bar. I got your e-mail I'll keep you posted.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 9:44 am

i'll have tons of cash and a bunch of Pacific NW lesbians

with equal amounts of money and naivete--

english teachers!

june 10-18 ap reading at convention center
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 10:02 am

No one is telling you that you should like anything. When Break Up...Break Down came out did you think of it as whiny and introspective bullshit? Do you ever think about Harlan Bobo and call it ironic and bullshit? You know anything about Tav Falco? Because something doesn't fit into your notion of what music should be doesn't immediately make it ironic or insincere. I've heard that bullshit argument for way too many years is all.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 10:09 am

spaklehorse sounds whiny to me cause I don't like it and it seems whiny....introspective? not at all....lyrics are trite bullshit. They couldn't be any LESS introspective if they tried. I don't really understand how music itself can be ironic, but for your all sakes I hope you like sparklehorse "ironically"
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 10:13 am

harlan t bobo, reigning sound, hell, I even like some elliot smith songs, are all fine. what I've heard so far by sparklehorse is just gawdawful though

you know same way I can like slayer, venom, and hellhammer and still think deicide and cannibal corpse are big bags of suck
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 12:10 pm

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 12:19 pm

I think talking about your motorcycle all the time and riding lawnmoyer and muscle car and also wearing a truck drivers hat and dressing like a truck driver but at the same time playing crappy, wimpy, introspective music in a band called "Sparklehorse" fits the definition of IRONIC swimmingly.

So go cry to your teddybear that somebody told you that your sucky music sucks.

thank you goodnight.

Bwahahahaha! Keep that shit up and I might have to start checkin' this board again regular-like.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 12:48 pm

I dunno, some of that C&W crap the truckers love is awful wimpy, whiny and introspective...

and I agree that some Reigning Sound lyrics are totally cringe-worthy.
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 1:34 pm

Ironic?

haha! Ed Byrne is brilliant!
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 2:58 pm

Tav Falco plays rocknroll...I have no problem with it...I don't consider Southern Culture on The Skids ironic either....or the Beastie Boys....to me it's fine to emulate whatever culture you love. The word "earnest" comes to mind when I think of Harlan Bobo. I don't think Jonathan Richman is ironic at all, even though he talks like a little kid.

To me Sparklehorse's niavete smacks of redundancy, calculatedness and self-referentialism in very boring, annoying and bogus ways. I just know it's not my thing. I never knew who he was until he shot himself, that's never a good sign anyway.
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 3:16 pm

I feel like I have a right to dog on Sparklehorse, because there's lots of lame people who want to be indie stars all over, who consider him a real legend and success, even if they just heard about him the same week I did. As far as I'm concerned a lot of those people would poo on musicians I would consider true "indie stars", unless of course they got rave reviews in Pitchfork that is. That's the only reason I even feel like I should 'announce' that I don't like him. On a personal level, people should be free to love whatever music they want, if they don't like the awesome, exciting, liberating music that I like, and would rather listen to the drab, soundscapes of professional "indie" musicians....well that's their problem not mine.
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 3:25 pm

I always find it funny when people get upset cause someone doesn't like the music that they do...I would prefer that no one liked the music I did. Imagine it...no one crowding you at the show, always able to get in, no spending a bunch of money on some stupid limited release on ebay
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 4:11 pm

and I agree that some Reigning Sound lyrics are totally cringe-worthy.

I'd throw Jay Reatard into that sentence as well.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®