Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Anybody on here teach Jr High- High School?
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 11:02 am

I'm in my last semester of classes at the University and just turned in my application for an internship/student teaching. Anybody on here done this before?
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 12:26 pm | Edited by: Beer Joint

both my parents taught middle school and high school..that age sucks..you're going to hate it.

On the other hand, when my college roommate graduated college he taught middle school for a year....and then 2 years later was sleeping with some of his former students...I guess it's whatever works for you.

Sounds like purgatory to me.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Then again my Dad still loves it cuz he teaches ROTC and he doesn't have to put up with half the bullshit of normal teachers....if they talk back they're insubordinate, skip class AWAL...don't respect the chain of command, push ups are in order.

If you can pull it off, it can be a good thing....being a sub fucking sucks however.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 1:19 pm

jesse, teach ROTC! make them bring you cokes and say "sir, yes sir!"
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 1:32 pm

I run a kids music school with students aged 7-18. The bulk are jr high aged.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 2:35 pm | Edited by: jahna

both my parents taught middle school and high school..that age sucks..you're going to hate it.

Nah. Although I don't teach, I work in a school that has both middle & high school students. As with any group of people, some of the kids are really great, most are ok and a few just god-fucking-awful. Same goes for the parents. Same goes for the teachers, as well. (Actually, I wouldn't say any of the teachers are crappy this year. They're all ok and a few stand out as awesome.)

As for the process you have to go through to get to be a teacher... I'm not qualified to comment. (My job is fundraising/PR/marketing/communications for the school.)

But, count on getting sick a lot your first year on campus.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 3:31 pm | Edited by: Tommy Trouble

It's not too late to apply for dental school.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 4:11 pm

As with any group of people, some of the kids are really great, most are ok and a few just god-fucking-awful. Same goes for the parents. Same goes for the teachers, as well.

That's what I figure... I've done some classroom observations and a little bit of teaching for some of my education classes. When I've been in the classrooms I get the feeling that I'll like it. As for other teachers and the kid's parents, thats something I've actually wondered about. I dread working with a bunch of squares...

My certification when I'm done will allow me to teach grades 6-12, and I think I'd prefer a job at a high school. However, there seem to be benefits of teaching 6-7th grade.

Carney, got any suggestions on how you approach the discipline aspect of trying to teach kids that age? Basically, it seems like a slippery slope of trying to be "cool" and still the guy in charge. I wonder if I might end up getting walked all over...

It's not too late to apply for dental school.

Ha! Unfortunately my English degree probably isn't the best prerequisite for that.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Basically, it seems like a slippery slope of trying to be "cool" and still the guy in charge. I wonder if I might end up getting walked all over...

jesse, me and bret were talking yesterday about how chuck goshert is a great model for a teacher. anyone who has taken the time to get to know him knows he's brilliant and fun, but at the same time he's able to explicitly command a class's attention. he doesn't tolerate ignorance and has high expectations for his students.
i think if a buncha snotty over-priveleged white college students can respect him, i think a buncha snotty 13yr olds will respect you. i don't see much difference between the two of you in your approaches to knowing things and telling other people about what you know.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 6:00 pm | Edited by: Tommy Trouble

I was kidding. I've been teaching HS English for 12 years; I love it. I've been extremely fortunate to teach at a great school with great kids, parents and administrators. I've always either taught seniors or honors students, so I've never really had to deal with discipline.

Most teachers are ok, but sometimes they try to replace their own fucked up adolescent years by living vicariously through their students. As a result, the rumor mill can be vicious.
Just do your job, don't gossip, and it won't be a problem for you. The coaches are worse than the old ladies.
The best teachers generally keep to themselves unless they have a pedagogical topic or a student's progress to discuss.

Most parents are ok, but some are totally in denial about their fucked up kids. Those parents will fuck up your day every once in a while.

Most kids are great.

I've never had a bad experience with a principal. At my school they're generally ok.

Let me know what else you want to know.
sucta @ hotmail.com
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 6:03 pm

The coaches are worse than the old ladies.

tommy is a coach
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 7:16 pm

and apparently he's an old lady too
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 7:20 pm

worse
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 7:35 pm

I taught middle school and high school for 9 years. Take head to the "middle schoolers are way worse than high schoolers" rule. SO true. 10-13 year old boys are the dumbest, most annoying, most stubborn, most disgusting living things on earth. Enraging. They will piss you off to blood boiling levels.

I now work with kids with severe behavioral disorders, basically kids that are court-ordered, kicked out of alternative school, in juvinile/real jail limbo and they are no where as stressful as the middle schoolers...
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 10:09 pm

VR speaketh the sooth. Jr. High SUCKS.

DCR: I've got your number.

Bruce: I drank while watching the Kansas game on my computer and Precious at the same time. I would say something mean about you, but I'm just feeling too magnanimous right now. I guess I'll have to say something nice: I'm really sorry about your penis. I'm sure it will grow back soon.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 10:26 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda

Corporal punishment!
Infront of the class.

Assign the students demeaning nick names, and don't forget to brandish a loaded gun and comment on how you cannot wait to use it on another live victim.

Kill one (or more) of your students for SATAN!!!
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 5:16 pm

Thanks for all the good advice, especially littlemisslinda.

Tommy-thanks a lot man, I'll definitely shoot you an email in the future. It's cool to hear that you enjoy what you do.

I'd prefer teaching the seniors/honors classes myself, but I've got to just take what I can get for now. We'll see where I end up. They're supposed to let us know about our internship or student teaching placements by the end of this month.
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 7:21 pm

I'd prefer teaching the seniors/honors classes myself, but I've got to just take what I can get for now. We'll see where I end up.

That's what my mom said 20+ years ago when she landed in the same inner city elementary where she still works. She's had a couple of opportunities missed because of either teacher politics or local politics between the 2 local school systems. Basically she went to work for the city won't ever get a job in the county. I'd say do your research in the area you would be teaching for stuff like that. Find out what schools teachers shy away from and why; find who the crappy administrators are - crappy teachers and crappy work environment are sure to follow.

(You probably already thought of that stuff, but just in case)
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 12:41 pm

Two words: Summers off!
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 12:51 pm

I'd prefer teaching the seniors/honors classes myself, but I've got to just take what I can get for now.

Yeah,
My friend told me that all of the sudden he was the "enemy", just as he had remembered his teachers back in Jr. High.
This guy's super cool, handsome, tattooed, the bass player for trusty, and sobering consequenses. He said the students absolutely HATED him, and then he quit.

I think he just wasn't cut out to be a teacher.
Teenagers aren't supposed to be our friends.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 1:54 pm

I work for a university so I don't get 'em till they're 18. I think I like it that way.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 2:37 pm | Edited by: Beer Joint

My Mom was an art teacher...one day a 15 year old was leaving class and grabbed her tit...she screamed and he fell backasswards landing in a waste basket with his feet in the air.

At that age their hormones are racing and there's just no telling what they might do.

I was a teenage idiot, you all were teenage idiots, and it's safe bet that teenagers are still idiots.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 4:15 pm

so, jesse, watch out for kids who grab your tits.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®