Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Alright, here's your chance to share.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 12:57 am

Tell me why you think the Ramones are the greatest band ever.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 1:23 am

they arent.

end thread.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 1:41 am

Tell me why you think Jim Morrison was the Lizard King and could do anything.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 1:49 am

seriously though..

I'm a NAZI baby I'm a NAZI yes I am
I'm a NAZI schatzie and I fight for the fatherland

and...

Perhaps they'll die, oh yeah
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 2:23 am

Brad's right.

Plus, they're all dead and the Rolling Stones are still making shitty records.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 3:38 am

all i know is that my head hurts. if anyone blasted the ramones right now i'd probably kill them. then break the fucking record.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 3:41 am

here's the song i hate hearing most when i feel like that

Posted: Mar 13, 2010 8:26 am

the ramones are the american beatles, and the beatles are the greatest band ever.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 8:30 am

Posted: Mar 13, 2010 8:53 am

Tell me why you think Jim Morrison was the Lizard King and could do anything.

Holy shit this reminds me that The Doors were in my dream last night and they were playing some fest where they re-created some "classic" set of theirs which I understood in the dream but not now. At the end of the set Jim Morrison brought out his wife and two kids and was trying to get the crowd to donate to his family b/c they had fallen on hard times.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 10:14 am

The Doors were in my dream last night
ride the snake!
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 12:15 pm

Wow besides the fact that you all would have nothing to live for if it wasn't for the Ramones, because they inspired so many other people to start bands....

You guys are gay.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 12:19 pm

Without the Ramones there would be no Strong Come On or half of the other Oblivians songs...

eat your cornflakes and shut up...how about that?
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 1:17 pm

Without the Ramones there would be no Strong Come On or half of the other Oblivians songs...

come on
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 2:04 pm

Pill Popper and Strong Come On are the only two that come to mind.

I'd say the Oblivians were more blues-punk, with old R&B - I don't think they were a Ramones rip-off act at all. Oh, and their gospel record was TOTALLY Ramones, right?
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Not to say the Ramones don't rule ...
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 3:42 pm

somebody put something in my drink
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 4:30 pm

Ramones are the Beatles of punk. Lame-O, but pretty cool when you're 13 years old.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 4:33 pm

ramones did not invent I-IV-V

they have nothing in common with the beatles.

the doors were all legend and myth. the records are good, but their whole popularity was based on mystique. jim morrison was not the lizard king. he was not a shaman. he was a half decent singer who fancied himself a poet. he was also a shitty drunk.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 5:22 pm

Tell me why you think the Ramones are the greatest band ever.

Because I said so,
I don't give a fuck about what you stupid people listen to.
Not even curious.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 5:27 pm

Pill Popper and Strong Come On are the only two that come to mind.

I'd say the Oblivians were more blues-punk, with old R&B - I don't think they were a Ramones rip-off act at all. Oh, and their gospel record was TOTALLY Ramones, right?

You can thank Glenn Danzig, and Elvis Prestley.
It's the truth.
This is not an opinion.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 6:13 pm

ramones did not invent I-IV-V

they're both the most overplayed band of a genre.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 6:18 pm

i only like them cause littlemisslinda told me i have to
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 7:01 pm

misslinda knows best!
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 7:09 pm

yes, indeed
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 7:42 pm

At the end of the set Jim Morrison brought out his wife and two kids and was trying to get the crowd to donate to his family b/c they had fallen on hard times.

this sounds like the caption of a Raymond Pettibon drawing titled "If Jim never went to Paris"
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 7:54 pm

The Ramones were like Babe Ruth -- magnificent, hilarious and game changing. Before Ramones. After Ramones.
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 8:42 pm

the records are good, but their whole popularity was based on mystique.
They also happened to put on one hell of a fucking show....esp. with Dee Dee...it wasn't just recordings, they brought it live..
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 9:42 pm

One of the things I don't like about the Ramones is being forced to deal with a bunch of tattooed, punk rock, dip shits.

In other words,

ALL OF YOU!!!
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 9:58 pm

Lame-O, but pretty cool when you're 13 years old.

After initially getting burnt out on them in junior high, I only realized this year, with the informative experience of the past 20 years listening to every other kind of music, how powerful and perfect they are.

Kind of the opposite of the Beatles for me. All their stuff sounds the same, but the tiny differences reward repeated listening whereas with the Beatles, they did a lot of different stuff and experimented with a lot more sounds but ultimately the songs aren't very good/interesting (to me).
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 10:41 pm

the records are good, but their whole popularity was based on mystique.
was talking bout the doors there...
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 11:54 pm

So much b.s. in one sentence: it must be an Olympic record.

you're missing the point. they shared a producer, but i'm going something more obtuse here. i'm sorry you don't understand.
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 12:07 am

Really, Brad?!? I've seen you play music. In addition to how much music wouldn't exist if it weren't for the Ramones, I don't even think you, as a person, would exist without them.
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 12:11 am

the doors records are good

never heard one. true story.
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 12:28 am

Don't start now.
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 12:36 am

Really, Brad?!?
did i say i dislike the ramones? no, i didnt. i think theyre great, but greatest band ever? not even close. they have some of the greatest songs ever, but they arent the greatest band. i was way into them, but as a person i never idolized them or anything. they were an anomaly to me, they had long hair and seemed old. when i was getting into punk rock they were towards the end of the band, they were like the stones, they were around since before i was born and i expected them to be around long after i died.

i am a supercharger fan. i love stupid sloppy shitty punk and garage music, especially the songs, but in my mind, the greatest band ever would have a guitar player who could play some leads and a drummer who played some fills. the only really impressive member of the ramones was joey, and after 79 he stopped singing the high notes anyways.

ACDC were the greatest band ever. i appreciate simplicity but i respect simplicity AND skill.
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 12:44 am

Fuck this "misslinda" shit.

Because Jeff Gunn told me so.
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 12:48 pm

I've met lots of people in this world who claim to love "punk rock" bands but don't like the Ramones, and that's o.k., but I harbor a small amount of disrespect for their taste in music, and privately question their reasoning ability.

A fun activity in conversation:
When the subject of musical taste rears it's ugly head, repeat over and over how the RAMONES are just the best fukin' band EVER, and that Johnny is a superior guitarist in every way. This makes most musicians so frustrated they just don't know what to do.
Sometimes the other people are smart enough to catch on to what i'm doing, and fun time is over, but if luck plays a hand, name calling and shouting often follow.
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 12:55 pm

The Ramones are the best thing ever when you first hear 'em. Oh, and Rock n Roll High School came on TV one Sunday when I was a few months into a jail sentence and that was the best thing ever.

During times of freedom, there are thousands of better artists to be listening too.
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 1:00 pm

During times of freedom, there are thousands of better artists to be listening too.

Oh no!!!
The Ramones are the ONLY thing anyone should EVER listen to.
And that is a FACT!!!!!
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 5:19 pm

the ramones are the american beatles.

Nope. The Ramones were The Ramones.

If any Punk band came close to sounding like The Beatles by using brilliant harmony/melody--> The Buzzcocks.

and the beatles are the greatest band ever.

Nope again. Good, but overrated.
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 5:50 pm

If any Punk band came close to sounding like The Beatles by using brilliant harmony/melody--> The Buzzcocks.

like i said earlier, it's not necessarily a musical comparison. you mofos are way too literal.

BORING!
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 5:51 pm

BOING!
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 6:18 pm

This makes most musicians so frustrated they just don't know what to do.

i do this to all my jam band loving friends with the oblivians. i tell them the best band of the 90s were the oblivians, and that the ideal song length is 2:30. i say other bands play too many notes and their songs are too long and boring.

and you know what? i am 100% correct.
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 11:07 am | Edited by: Beer Joint

I can't even go back and read this thread it irritates me so much...

If you define "greatness" by a bands chops, then I heard this band RUSH was pretty good....Steve Vai has endorsements in guitar world he must be good. No joke that seems to be the predominant school of thought these days...like how I should listen to Sparklehorse or at least respect him because he was DUI....fucking shit. The music industry is dead who the hell isn't DUI these days?

I can see why Brad doesn't think The Ramones are the greatest band, because Dee Dee was a bi-sexual prostitute....I can see why Joe doesn't care for all the hype either, because he's more eccentric than Joey Ramone...well Johnny was a conservative republican, I can understand why Scott wants us to believe it was all hype....

But in the end, THE RAMONES ARE STILL THE GREATEST BAND IN ROCKNROLL HISTORY! Was Sparklehorse the greatest band in rocknroll history? As far as I can tell they were a group of "indie" studio musicians....I could a little respect of Elliot Smith's DUI background that was 20 years ago, but I personaly can not see jack fucking shit to respect Sparklehorse for outside of the golden rule.

THE RAMONES ARE THE GREATEST BAND IN HISTORY OF MANKIND....More important than Robin Hood and his band of Merry Men...more important than King Arthur and the Knights of The Round Table...more important than The Black Panthers! More important that George Fucking Washington...they're more important than those fags on the 1980 Olympic Hockey team...the greatest...greater than Muhammad Ali...the greatest fucking band of all fucking time. They're greater than "the Greatest Generation" combined....The greatest band FOREVER!
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 11:15 am

greater than manny pacquiao?
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 11:57 am

NO ONE EXPECTS THE MANNY PACQUIAO!...his weapons are fear and suprise...suprise and fear....and an almost fanatical devotion to karaoke...
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 12:09 pm

the Ramones are a little too prog rock for me

I like the Shaggs and King U
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 12:10 pm

and I'm total DUI
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 2:48 pm

Dee Dee was a bi-sexual prostitute....
sorry, dee dee was just bass player in the ramones. i liked how he handled the questions on the dvd interview, which i own. i think "its alive" is one of the best albums, top 100 for sure. the reason i dont think theyre the best band is because they arent. having some of the best songs doesnt automatically make you the best band. whoever backed up boyce and hart could play circles around the ramones. even the sweet were a better band than the ramones. i mean, they made all their best albums in two years. sure the later records all had at least one, and usually a couple good songs, but i dont think the "greatest band" would have recorded so many stinkers. the only spectacular things about the ramones are dee dee's songwriting and joey's voice, and both went downhill quick after 1978. one of the greatest? sure? but "the greatest"? not even close.
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 2:52 pm

or, more simply put, the ramones suck because they didnt have horns. king u kicks their ass. yukum yukum!
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 3:31 pm

DUI FTW QFT!
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 11:12 pm

Whoah, whoah, whoah, Beer Joint! I'm on you're side. I do think the Ramones where the greatest band ever. I said Brad X was all hype.
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 11:48 pm

youre all hype.
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 1:18 am

bradx is the antithesis of hype. he lives in the middle of nowhere. how does he even have hype??? fuck.
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 7:05 am

SELF hype. He's on here (and probably other sites) hyping himself 24/7. I was just joking earlier with Beer Joint, but now the you've cornered me on the issue, he is all hype.
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 7:37 am

BradX...you're in some sort of denial...don't make me dig up the lyrics to 53rd and 3rd buddy...and yes, based on a true story...so you're not going to weasel out of it that easy.
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 7:38 am

DUI is much punker than DIY...but not Sparklehorse.
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 7:42 am

Ramones = Greatest Band Ever

Sparklehorse = ?????????
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 1:02 pm

sorry, the Ramones could not even shine the Beatles' boots...
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 1:16 pm

the Beatles are overrated...quit sucking on your Moms babyboomer titties.
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 4:14 pm

i got babyboomer titties of my own to suck on.

SO DID JOEY.
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 7:13 pm

don't make me dig up the lyrics to 53rd and 3rd buddy.

anybody who has to "dig up the lyrics" to any song on the first four ramones records isnt going to teach me jack shit. i know all those lyrics by heart.

so whats your fucking point? dee dee was a male prostitute? good for him. i love dee dee. he was awesome. sounds like you have way more of an issue with it than i do.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 9:51 am

Alright, jackasses, if the Ramones weren't the greatest band of all time, then explain the fact that Head is the second greatest band of all time behind the Ramones!
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 10:01 am

all I know is I ain't listening to anybody who championed Sparklehorse no more
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 11:26 am

Alright, jackasses,
tattooed, punk rock, dip shits.

Not nearly as much name calling as I expected,

I can't even go back and read this thread it irritates me so much...

but the frustration is there, just as I predicted.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 11:28 am

then explain the fact that Head is the second greatest band of all time behind the Ramones!

I doubt very seriously they would agree.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 11:31 am

i sure don't.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 12:38 pm

It's a fact!
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 1:02 pm | Edited by: Beer Joint

BradX, this isn't some Fox News Crossfire TV show...

Your answer was complete denial: "Sorry but dee dee was just the bass player in The Ramones"

And after dogging on The Ramones, your trying to play the punker than thou game because I didn't write the lyrics from my own memory.

Typical.

I'm no communist, but I don't put up with bullshit rightwing fascist tactics like you're trying to employ.

there's a fucking paper trail of messages that prove your total lameness on the topic of The Ramones...free for any and all to read. All we got to do is scroll to the top of this page.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 1:14 pm

Sorry but dee dee was just the bass player in The Ramones"

DEE DEE IS THE RAMONE!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 1:17 pm

Dee Dee Ramone is the ramonsiest Ramone that ever ramoned.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 1:18 pm

what about elvis ramone?
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 1:26 pm

What about Linda Ramone?
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 1:27 pm

what about Ramon Ramone?
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 1:27 pm

..... what about Riff Randall (rock-n-roller)?
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 1:29 pm

what about Ramon Ramone?

what is this?
such foolishness!
I need some wheatgerm & riboflavin.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 1:46 pm

What about George Tabb?

Haha I cracked myself up with that one.

What about George Tabb? That's rich.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 1:49 pm

no, Doug Colvin
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 3:20 pm

George Tab is my favorite White Flag persona.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Your answer was complete denial: "Sorry but dee dee was just the bass player in The Ramones"

actually, it was dee dee's response in the "hey, is dee dee home?" DVD, but i wouldnt expect you to know that, as you are not a top tier ramones fan like me.

there's a fucking paper trail of messages that prove your total lameness on the topic of The Ramones...free for any and all to read.

your reading comprehension must be just as shitty as your ramones knowledge. buy a clue, dipshit!
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 4:41 pm

buy a clue, dipshit!

MORE NAME CALLING!!!!!

Champion!
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 4:44 pm

youre all hype.

Classic!
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 4:53 pm | Edited by: misslinda

Proof of Ramone superiority.

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 4:58 pm

yeah, and you always can scroll up and see these awesome ramones clips i posted:

seriously though..

I'm a NAZI baby I'm a NAZI yes I am
I'm a NAZI schatzie and I fight for the fatherland

and...

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 5:08 pm

I've seen em'.

The German Video is my fave.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 5:11 pm

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 5:14 pm | Edited by: misslinda

Even more proof that Ramones are superior.

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 5:22 pm

Well brad, I think St. Patrick's day is catching up with my retarded capabilities.

I'm just to drunk to be competent of bringing up the 1980 Cretin Hop video. How appropriate!!!!

1-2-3-4, cretins wanna drink some more!
4-5-6-7 all drunk cretins don't give a shit!
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 5:30 pm

marky's drumming is great, but i prefer tommy's style. i love the musikladen show too, but i think the don kirschner's clips are way better.

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 5:31 pm

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
its an appreciation for the lyrics, nothing more and nothing less.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 5:38 pm

I'm just still upset over Dee Dee's death.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 5:43 pm

Sheena's my fave outa' that 5
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 5:47 pm

yeah. and Johnny's just about to loose his blue Mosrite too.

I like the white one (with the "custom job") better anyway.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 5:52 pm | Edited by: misslinda

but i think the don kirschner's clips are way better.

yeah, alot of peeps like the earlier stuff (1st record).

My 4 favorite recordings are:
Pleasant Dreams
Rocket to Russia
Leave Home
Too Tough To Die
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 5:53 pm

In that order.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 6:06 pm

huh!

i like them in order, actually. second record maybe better than the first, mainly because of the production, its a close call. i think they were at their peak 75-78 and it was downhill from there, though all their records have at least a couple good songs.

dee dee was awesome. the dvd they released after his death with the interviews for the thunders doc is great. he comes across really straightforward and honest. i like when he goes to paris to be in a band with thunders and stiv bators, and ends up smashing johnnys guitar and cutting up and bleaching all his clothes.

also, in response to beer joint, 53rd and 3rd is just a song about a vietnam vet, a green beret, who ends up turning tricks and kills one of his customers with a razor blade. its not an autobiography, its a song.

everybody knows dee dee did some male prostitution. big deal. from what i read, he didnt enjoy it, could only do it when really drugged up, and once the band got going he was always with women. he didnt make an issue of his past, other people did.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 6:23 pm | Edited by: misslinda

i like them in order, actually.

yup,

most folks do.

Alot of people that I've met that claim the the Ramones as their favorite band say "Pleasant Dreams" stands out.
Most people don't like the Ramones as faniticaly "we" do.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 6:24 pm

Drunk & signing out!!!!
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 6:29 pm

have a good one.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 6:35 pm

signing out!!!!
no way! you're the main source of entertainment tonight
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:33 pm

Best thread ever.
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 9:26 am | Edited by: Beer Joint

BradX wrote:
everybody knows dee dee did some male prostitution. big deal. from what i read, he didnt enjoy it, could only do it when really drugged up, and once the band got going he was always with women. he didnt make an issue of his past, other people did.

Who cares if he did enjoy it BradX? If that's what helps you accept the fact that The Ramones are the Greatest Band Ever....then more power to you. Like John Lennon said, whatever gets you through the night.
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 9:29 am

Oh yeah and even after the band got going, he still turned tricks when no checks were in the mail...it wasn't until the swinging 70's were well behind everyone that he quit sleeping with men, and it wasn't always for money...sometimes it was just because he liked it.
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 10:21 am

pleasant dreams is the best ramones album
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 4:19 pm | Edited by: bradx

sounds like you have personal knowledge there, beer joint. if so, please share! because everything i have read suggests otherwise. dude, i dont care if dee dee fucked guys all day long. i like all kinds of gay shit. i like all kinds of niggers. i even like gay niggers! (little richard)

i mean, sure, gay behavior is a sin and if one lives in prideful defiance of Gods laws they will surely end up cast into the pit of hell, but that is their choice. we all have choices, and God gave us free will for a purpose.

i dont care if dee dee enjoyed all kinds of gay sex, but what i have read suggests otherwise. according to his own words, he was done hustling by the time the ramones started in 1974, and had his girl connie out turning tricks so he wouldnt have to. after they broke up he got together with his wife.

I didn't know what I wanted. I just wanted a roof over my head and I wasn't really gay and I didn't like sleeping with men.

And this went on for a few years and I became a miserable full blossom drug addict.

And somehow out of that came the Ramones. We got together.

I could stop hustling, and I still wasn't making enough money to support my drug habit, because the band didn't have a hit record or anything, they were just a club band.

And I hooked up with this girl Connie, who was a prostitute, and I lived with Connie for about five years during my playing with the Ramones. And Connie supported my drug habit by go-go dancing and turning tricks and I used to beat her and abuse her and sleep around with other women. And this went on until finally I wanted to get straight and I left Connie and I tried to leave a heroin habit behind. This was in 1978 and the band started in 1974.

And in`78 1 met my wife-to-be, Vera, who is totally different than anyone I had ever been with. -dee dee ramone

Dee Dee and I were married from1978 to 1995. -vera ramone
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 8:27 am

Brad X wrote: sounds like you have personal knowledge there, beer joint. if so, please share! because everything i have read suggests otherwise. dude, i dont care if dee dee fucked guys all day long. i like all kinds of gay shit. i like all kinds of niggers. i even like gay niggers! (little richard)

Uh yeah, Dee Dee tried to suck me off once....I don't know what to tell you Brad, if you understand music culture like you understand world politics I see little hope for you...I'm sure you've missed allot of stuff in the fine print.

I can't read the rest of this post, because I'm sick of all the hot air undoubtedly coming out of every orifice of your body...I'm just glad Windows doesn't include smell-o-vision.
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 8:30 am | Edited by: Beer Joint

Okay, I got a clothes pin on my nose, and I read the rest of your stupid post.

Dee Dee has talked about being at Club 54 or Max's and having dudes hit on him, or if he was lucky a dude and a girl, and because he didn't really care he would go ahead and get with them.

I think this discussion is pretty pointless...so lets drop it.
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 3:49 pm

Posted: Mar 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Am I the only one who loves End of the Century?
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 8:03 pm

probably...that ones a stinker for me

Dee Dee's not even on it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 11:21 pm

I think this discussion is pretty pointless...so lets drop it.

pretty pointless??? yeah, you've been rambling on and on for days about what a long time faggot dee dee ramone is when nobody gives a shit. i would say thats pretty fucking pointless. as far as your memories of something you read somewhere about dee dee, i dont trust it for two seconds. you cant even remember the words to 53rd and 3rd for fucksakes! dee dee's gayness must have really upset you if you remember his words about that but cant remember the words to his songs.

he was bass player in the ramones, who were a great punk band, but not even close to the best. he was a great soungwriter. who cares who or what he fucked?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®