Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / eric davidson's (new bomb turks) 1st book
Posted: Mar 3, 2010 10:51 pm

Posted: Mar 3, 2010 11:06 pm

Wow, it's not even out yet and it's been drastically reduced by $6.50.
Posted: Mar 3, 2010 11:19 pm

Sean and Joe on the cover!
Posted: Mar 3, 2010 11:20 pm

No clue if he used any of my dumb stories. probably not. hopefully not.
Posted: Mar 3, 2010 11:23 pm

mine were "too dumb" to send him
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 8:01 am

Sounds sort of ethnocentric. Everyone knows I love 90's underground rock as much as the next guy and NBT...but it wasn't "The Greatest Generation"....it wasn't the last generation of musical and cultural revolt A.K.A. punk. It may be the last generation of corporate bottomfeeders, because the corporate music industry is dead, with the help of the internet. Yes it was the last generation of music before the internet gained mass influence, and one day we'll look back on it and imagine how quaint it must have been.

Still if it's a bunch of RocknRoll stories I can't wait to read it. I'm just not going to cry that it's not the 90's anymore. The alternative boom didn't mean shit to me.
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 11:47 am

[i]Wow, it's not even out yet and it's been drastically reduced by $6.50.

HA HA FUNNY!
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 11:49 am

and people still ask me why I don't open a book store (in Detroit no less).
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 1:12 pm

that's not necessarily bad news for the publisher - when amazon does that, they still pay you their discounted amount off the cover price, not what discounted amount of what they're charging. (not good for independent bookstores, of course).

300 pages - must have put a ton of fucking work into this book! the cover looks awesome.
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 2:39 pm | Edited by: The Driver

that's not necessarily bad news for the publisher

It is when a sizable percentage of books shipped to stores don't sell, and then get returned after the title's sales window has closed.
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 3:12 pm

Is "gunk punk" a rebranding of this experience or is this a term that someone (or more than one person) used back then?
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 4:17 pm | Edited by: jenna

i'm no longer at hal leonard (which is backbeat), but i am curious as to why the spits are on the cover. ?? they weren't even a band in 2001, the end of this "era." right?

either way, this is just fabulous. i was strongly championing eric's tome when it was still just a morsel on his mental plate. not to pre-ejaculate before the curtain goes up, but there are two photos of tim and micha in here that will make you blush. thank GOD.
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 5:16 pm

The spits have been around a long time, but not that long. They played around for years before anyone gave 2 shits about the, but yes. The mummies would have been more appropriate.
I have never heard it called anything, but "garage" "garage punk" or "drunk punk"
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 5:51 pm

i wrote a story on the neccessary evils for the book that got axed, but it will appear on the blog version of the book sometime.

can't wait to read this. i'm too wasted to have many memories of that era.
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 6:14 pm

Contacted my Kalamazoo music expert just now. The Wood bros (Spits) left K-zoo in '91 or '92 for Seattle. So those dudes were in bands even further back than that.
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 6:38 pm

Contacted my Kalamazoo music expert just now. The Wood bros (Spits) left K-zoo in '91 or '92 for Seattle. So those dudes were in bands even further back than that.

Not sure how many bands they could have been in. I remember seeing them in the mid-90s and they could barely play. The spits played around for a long time in seattle, but not in 1992.
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 7:43 pm | Edited by: Useless Eater

L.A.P.D. Riot Midgets was here before they left in the early 90s.

And the internet isn't that hard to figure out guys. --> http://www.grunnenrocks.nl/bands/s/spitsthe.htm

I think that the Spits are on the cover so that guys like us would buy this book instead of the Muffs because then our wives would buy it. Or Rev. N0rb would jack to it.

Can't wait to read this. Davidson has a Steelgrip Starkey on the English language so at least I won't be giggling at American Hardcore style syntax errors that do no not compute.
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 8:00 pm

Should've stated that the Spits weren't till later '90s
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 8:02 pm

SPITS!!!!
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 8:16 pm

did i ever tell you the story about the muffs....
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 8:26 pm

do tell!
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 10:32 pm

ha ha bruce! i love that story so much I stole it for a song.

someday, dtrain. someday.
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 1:44 am

I spit on muffs cause I'm a gunk punk
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 2:30 am

"i've got my drill"?
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 8:03 am

^ inspired art pepper's "straight life."

dang, i guess somebody didn't make it to side 2 of live at barristers!
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 8:25 am

There's a side 2 ? woah!

You better call WFMU and tell 'em RIGHT NOW Joe!

they need to know this shit!
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 8:34 am

HEE-HAW!!!
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 9:36 am

"Sean and Joe on the cover!"

I'm flattered but that's not me,that's D-Lab- - uh,imean Naked Nick (wearing clothes here thank gawd!),the keyz guy i replaced.

The Spits started out of a previous band that Sean played in called The Quitters. They adopted the Spits name sometime around 1990 and played in KZoo and Detroit before heading west. They played a show in an abandoned bank building with Cum Dumpster! I played in a band w/ the drummer in Cum Dumpster a couple of years later! Wotta world.

I find it interesting that they'd use the Spits on the cover when the only write-up i ever read by Mr. Davidson seemed strangely backhanded.
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 11:26 am | Edited by: Beer Joint

In the old Columbus city paper Moo Magazine I remember hearing them called "cow punk" along with most any other Crypt band...those were the days....but "gunk punk" ...uhn uh....cow punk even seemed to catch on as a genre for awhile.

Did they mention The Makers in that synopsis? WTF?
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 6:00 pm

Damn Joe, I never saw Nick playing with the Spits only you. You are the BMOC of all Spits lineups.
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 4:03 pm

I'm all for punk rock, gunk punk, rock 'n roll, etc., memoirs.

Joey Shithead's is a good one. Not sure what some others are. There's plenty of "I was the next big thing" books, but not "I was never gonna be the next big thing" books.
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 4:54 pm

guilty of everything by john armstrong (modernettes) is really great
have wanted to read mike hudson's diary of a punk but still haven't

joey shithead is an awesome storyteller with some great stories so I'm sure that book is pretty decent
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 6:55 pm

if i had a nickel for everytime i kicked joey shithead out of wowsville....
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 7:06 pm

different joey shithead....woops.
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 7:16 pm

Posted: Mar 9, 2010 3:44 pm

diary of a punk

yeah, i read some article about it but haven't read the book. (he's the Pagans guy, for those not in the know)

the SST Story ("Enter Naomi") is kind of a personal memoir but seems to lack a point
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 4:10 pm

Posted: Mar 9, 2010 5:32 pm

Diary of a Punk is awesome! We got signed copies at Goner right now.
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 5:45 pm

i wonder if he's gonna have current loser bands play at his readings
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 6:14 pm

you have a band you're offering?
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 7:11 pm

different joey shithead....woops.

really some other punk goes by joey shithead?

hey there was a "teen idols" so yeah sure

phuggin' phaggits!!!
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 2:32 pm

Man those liner notes on the back of the Pagans Crypt reissues are really well done....but isn't he a journalist or something? Eric Davidson has an MA in English or something like that.

I'm going to rewrite Huck Finn with Punk Rock names.
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 11:39 am

Andy Blade from Eater wrote a book called "The Secret Life of a Teenage Punk Rocker" that i always mean to look for every time i'm at powells (but each time i somehow forget his name and the title of the book). there are a couple chapters of the book up here - it looks like a pretty funny read:
http://www.trakmarx.com/2005_04/16_andy_blade.htm

also, Dee Dee Ramone's book "Lobotomy" is pretty good, if for nothing else just because it's written in the exact voice that you'd want a book by Dee Dee to be.
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 11:42 am

..but isn't he a journalist or something?

He owns a newspaper in Niagara Falls. He's been a freelance journalist since the 70s
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 1:43 pm

the Mickey Leigh (aka Mitchell Hyman) memoir about his brother Joey was unacountably depressing.
I really didn't want to know all that about Joey Ramone. Ugh.
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 5:33 pm

A band i was in long ago played a festival w/ The Spits in 2000, & I saw them at a tranvestite bar in Seattle before that (Foxxxes?) ...

I didn't realize Cum Dumpster was even a real band ... we used to tell people that was our name, along with Vaginal Blood Fart or The Colon Sucking Fuck Pigs (dunno if those were real bands either, but I'd heard their names about the same time).

Lookin' forward to this book!
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 6:58 pm

you have a band you're offering?
tons of bands
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 2:33 pm

but not "I was never gonna be the next big thing" books.

Story of my life!
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 10:04 am

Andy Blade from Eater wrote a book called "The Secret Life of a Teenage Punk Rocker" that i always mean to look for every time i'm at powells (but each time i somehow forget his name and the title of the book). there are a couple chapters of the book up here - it looks like a pretty funny read:
http://www.trakmarx.com/2005_04/16_andy_blade.htm

I have this and the first half or 3/4 or so is great - all the parts about forming Eater and playing in Eater. Once Eater ends, there's a bunch of story left and it gets pretty boring pretty fast.

The Steve Diggle book, Harmony In My Head, is pretty great.
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 3:00 am

halfway through the book now - i like it because it was a scene that i was part of as a fan from start to finish - there are many interesting interviews and the book is well written - of little interest to anyone not part of the scene though...

http://www.blurt-online.com/features/view/648/

http://www.weneverlearnbook.com/
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 8:25 am | Edited by: eric o

Finally got these in stock, excellent price for a limited time ...13.99 on a 19.99 list... Beefy and full of stories from all kinds of gunked up punkers...

get it here!
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 5:15 pm | Edited by: Cole

I ordered one. I'm just now jumping into the scene, but this book looks cool. The 20 song download sealed the deal. It'll be cool reading about these bands while checking out their music.

The book's site almost scared me off. Alot of pictures of the dude from the Dwarve's dong.
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 6:36 pm

yeah... uh... huh.

although that was "a big part of the scene."

heh.
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 6:38 pm

looks like nick
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 6:44 pm | Edited by: Rich Balls

The book's site sealed the deal .... Alot of pictures of the dude from the Dwarve's dong.
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 7:21 pm

I'm just now jumping into the scene

you've been saying that for almost a year. yer like, a veteran!
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 8:11 pm

He owns a newspaper in Niagara Falls

what a coincidence! i got laid by a girl i meet at niagra falls.

you wouldn't know her.
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 8:22 pm

ahhhhh... the girlfriend in canada bit that doesn't really exist. nice try.
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 8:29 pm

you've been saying that for almost a year. yer like, a veteran!

Wow! I fell accepted! I'm no longer new!

The book's site sealed the deal .... Alot of pictures of the dude from the Dwarve's dong

That's what I meant to post.
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 8:46 pm

ahhhhh... the girlfriend in canada bit that doesn't really exist. nice try.

whatever joe! she's real!
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 8:52 pm

she's real!

SCORE!
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 12:53 am

almost finished - a real pageturner - love it!
Posted: Jun 28, 2010 7:26 pm

This book is great. It's gonna cost me time and money tracking down some of these bands though....
Posted: Jun 28, 2010 10:06 pm

They should rename it: Tim Warren, the biography!

Just kidding! hee=haww!

Funny stories, great pics too. I had done forgot all about the Billy Childish Jack White beef. Crazings. And the whole Jim Diamond thing...woah...

You should totally buy this book. From Goner!
Posted: Jun 28, 2010 11:10 pm

They should rename it: Tim Warren, the biography!

Just kidding! hee=haww!

No your not. He's a huge part of this book so far. I don't like him. He fucked a disco square.
Posted: Jun 28, 2010 11:27 pm

nah, that' where you are wrong cole, tim might fuck up. but he knows his rock

whoops thought you said he is a disco square, don't care about the other
Posted: Jun 28, 2010 11:48 pm

No your not.

I'm totally just razzin Davidson and you know it...ha-ha...

This book is incredible. Even Ned is in it!

The Gibson Bros, and Long Gone John and Billy and Miriam....this is incredible!

The Gories stuff is amazing as well. I love all these stories.
It's very inspiring stuff.
Posted: Jun 29, 2010 1:23 am

can't believe i saw Supersuckers/Rev. Horton Heat/Dwarves/ in the same year (1993) as New Bomb Turks' first European show + the Supercharger/Mummies double bill - Beguiled/Fireworks eurotour was a blast too! Mmmmmmemories...
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 9:17 am

"I just started a new band, Chelsea Girls. It's an all female supergroup doing all covers.... And my son, Clash, just turned four in November. He's such a funny kid, flippin' huge like me, with long blond hair, tight jeans, a constant dirt beard. His favorite saying is 'Rock and roll, fuck you,' of course. I've been working with the Center for Nonviolent Education and Parenting here in L.A. for over two years, helping parents to have a better understanding of what it is to love a child unconditionally."

Nashville Pussy's Corey Parks in We Never Learn.

I FIND THIS SO FUCKING HILARIOUS!
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 2:52 pm

I'm sorry, but all I could think when I was trying to read this was "Now I see why they didn't print the lyrics with NBT records."

The interviews are good, but the other writing is pretty embarrassing. You can't ape Crypt liner notes for hundreds of pages.

I hope this isn't the only book ever written about this era, because people who were already in the scene and who are looking to see if their band gets mentioned are the only readers who will be able to slog through it.
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 6:30 pm

I disagree. I just started reading it a few days ago and I'm almost finished. I think it's a page turner. I didn't go into it looking for literature or academia, just entertaining stories. My only complaint so far has been the heavy lean on Ohio bands and some self-congratulatory passages, but it's not a big deal. Overall, it's a job well done, IMO.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 1:52 am

It really is pretty fantastic.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 1:59 am

Just bought a copy. From Goner.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 10:12 am

"Now I see why they didn't print the lyrics with NBT records."

from memory the first lp didn't have a lyrics sheet, all those following did. he wrote some pretty good lyrics. great at times, even.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 12:18 pm

that's what happens when you download all that stuff 15 years after it came out and say you've been listening to it the whole time...
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 12:21 pm

that's what happens when you download all that stuff 15 years after it came out and say you've been listening to it the whole time...

can not figure out what the hell you are talking about
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 1:35 pm

someone said that NBT didn't include lyrics with their albums...someone else said they did....i said that's what happens when people download albums instead of buying them, thusly not knowing that the NBT did include lyric sheets on some of their albums.

you see, i was insinuating that "literary critic" above may be a poser and not know what the fuck he's talking about
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 1:37 pm

oh
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 5:22 pm

Man, I'm not looking for literary greatness here. This book is highly entertaining.
It's also turning me onto alot of bands that I didn't know existed.

I'm really digging the 20 song download as well.

I paid 13.99 for this from Goner. I'm more than happy about this purchase.

Bummer that most of these bands are no longer around. I'm late to the party as usual.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 6:08 pm

well gibson bros, new bomb turks, oblivions, and cheater slicks are playing next weekend in columbus
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 6:18 pm | Edited by: Cole

That's a helluva show!!!!! I saw a thread about it but since I really didn't know who they were I didn't really pay much attention. I know better now.

I had no idea Oblivians were playing. Man, I'd love to see them.

I just ordered my first Cheater Slicks record.

Fuck, that's an awesome show.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 6:40 pm

the train's rolling out friday morning, i think there's room for another...
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 8:48 pm

very cool man. I might can arrange this. This would be such a cool show. like a new converted Muslim headed to Meca....
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 8:59 pm

tommy has my number, will probably see him this weekend, i think you've been emailing him or something, about $100 for the drive but we have place to stay
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 9:04 pm | Edited by: Cole

thanks. money is not a problem. let me see if it's cool with job/family. cool of you to offer, that's an awesome line-up.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®