Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Shitty hair metal arena shows in Memphis
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 1:31 pm

Living in MS I was always behind the times music wise. I remember when I thought that Mettalica was underground! Later on I started getting into punk from some late night cable show, Night Flight? I don't remember. Anyway as I was getting into Black Flag and SST stuff towards the end of that scene I remember hearing about the Antenna Club but couldn't find anyone to go with/take me. What I did do was go to countless shitty hair metal shows with freinds. here's the ones I remember. Anyone else want to fess up and admit they were there?

Motley Crue with Autograph Theatre of Pain I think mid south coliseum
Motley Crue with Whitesnake Girls,Girls,Gils? mid south coliseum
Alice Cooper with the Vinnie Vincent Invasion mid south colisuem
Kiss with Black n Blue Mid South Collisuem Crazy Nights tour?
Warrant/Firehouse/trixter mud island
ZZ top with The Black Crows not bad actually Pyramid
Bon Jovi with Cinderella mid south coliseum
AC/DC with White Lion mid south coliseum AC/DC are awesome but White Lion? yuk
Guns n Roses with Soundgarden Pyramid
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:10 pm

saw that Alice Cooper show and ZZ Top but waaaay before the Black Crowes were a band, I think Loverboy were the openers

saw Soundgarden open for Voivod...they were beyond awful

saw AC/DC a million times

saw wasp and saxon and tons of other crap like that
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:12 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda

Kiss with Black n Blue Mid South Collisuem Crazy Nights tour?

It was white lion also.

KISS was forbidden in my Southern Baptist Belleview Cult, and I swore to myself I was gonna see kiss as soon as I turned 16.
If my parents found out, fuk em!

68% Uncertain was attended a week earlier.
stoned outa mu minds.

Both by myself (except for SATAN, I asked him to be my date).
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:14 pm

SATAN is my date to most of the shows I go to.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:21 pm

I forgot Monsters of Rock! Anyone rember that? Scorpions, Van Hagar, Dokken, Mettalica and some shitty band who I can't rember, they sounded almost exactley like Led Zeppelin.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:22 pm

saw wasp and saxon and tons of other crap like that

Me too,
Sorry bout that Mark

Most of my friends either liked DIO, Gateful Dead, or shit like INXS & U2.
Almost none of them were musicians, and that's about the time I developed an arrogant, jack assed, attitude towards other people's musical tastes.

If they don't like MOTORHEAD, fuk em'.

It still spills over today
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:25 pm

saw that Alice Cooper show

Do you remember his guitar player? He was a body builder or something and was fucking HUGE!
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:27 pm

I forgot Monsters of Rock! Anyone rember that? Scorpions, Van Hagar, Dokken, Mettalica and some shitty band who I can't rember, they sounded almost exactley like Led Zeppelin.

I remember that day, but I hate all those bands.
Cameron Henson told me how "great" metalica was.

foolishness.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:29 pm

Do you remember his guitar player? He was a body builder or something and was fucking HUGE!

yeah,

MOTORHEAD never showed up.
I like ole' Alice so I stuck arround rather than getting my $$ back.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:33 pm

Dude, that was all I knew! That was the only shit I could buy here in the 80's. I also remember seeing Nirvana at the new daisy(my first time there) in 90 or 91 I think. I believe it was before Nevermind came out. I didn't know them, I remember that. Just went with friends.That was first "underground" show. Well i considered it underground at the time.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:34 pm

I attended all of the formentioned shows alone.

Kind of anyway.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:38 pm

Satan by your side?
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:41 pm

remember seeing Nirvana at the new daisy(my first time there) in 90 or 91 I think.

We were the few.
How many peeps were at that show, 40? 52?
It was underground.
I ditched satan that night for Arnold cuz she's better looking.
Bleach is a good record.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:47 pm

I found that fucker! What a douche!

http://www.themetalinquisition.com/2008/07/kane-roberts-renaissance-ma n.html

Also, I found out that Kip Winger was on bass!
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:51 pm

I belive ole' alice was more concerned with the stage show rather than the musical quality for that tour.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:56 pm

you think the south is bad, try alaska... my first show was yngwei malmsteen opening up for the scorpions (yngwei got nailed with an empty whiskey bottle and storm off stage third song in)... luckily i soon found the local crappy punk bands that no one has ever heard of but provided antidote to the above mentioned shit.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:57 pm

Have you ever heard any mentionings of Lemmy's remarks about being on tour with W.A.S.P.?
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 2:59 pm

10/07/91 - Omni-New Daisy Theatre, Memphis, TN
Set (incomplete)
Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam • Aneurysm • Drain You • School • Floyd The Barber • Smells Like Teen Spirit • About A Girl • Polly • Sliver • Love Buzz • Come As You Are • Negative Creep • Endless, Nameless

Notes
•The show was originally scheduled for one day later, but the venue, attendees, and memorabilia have confirmed that this is the correct date.
•Krist started the show by impersonating Vanilla Ice explaining his theft of the music from Queen's "Under Pressure" for his own song "Ice Ice Baby."
•Kurt was "really fucked up," according to a member of the security staff who was at the show.

Other Performers
Das Damen

This was that Nirvana show. Nevermind had been out about a month. I think there was more people than that there. You might be referring to an earlier show. Maybe a Bleach tour.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:01 pm

you think the south is bad, try alaska... my first show was yngwei malmsteen opening up for the scorpions

ooooooh LORD!

You know he's a Viking right, he made that point very clear to me.

He's got some death on his mindses.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:02 pm | Edited by: Mark Beef

yeah kane roberts....later on I was in a band with a guitar player who's biggest idol (next to ted nugent) might have been kane roberts

any of you memphis creeps seen Iron Maiden open for 38 special on their beast world tour?

and I'd love to hear Lemmy's remarks about wasp
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:03 pm

Have you ever heard any mentionings of Lemmy's remarks about being on tour with W.A.S.P.?

No, but when Lemmy speaks I listen.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:05 pm

was that Nirvana show. Nevermind had been out about a month. I think there was more people than that there. You might be referring to an earlier show. Maybe a Bleach tour.

Nope same show,
I was all "cheap whiskied" out and in front yellin' at em.
Still there wern't many people there.
53? 54? maybe 75 at the most.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:06 pm

any of you memphis creeps seen Iron Maiden open for 38 special on their beast world tour?

I wish
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:11 pm

It was far from packed. I wish I had known who they were. I was watching an important musician and didn't even get it. I was some hayseed who really wanted to run around on Beale Street and party.

....later on I was in a band with a guitar player who's biggest idol (next to ted nugent) might have been kane roberts

I bet you hated that fucker.

Iron Maiden open for 38 special

Maiden opening???? What a travesty. Wierd tour combo.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:15 pm

me too (well not with 38 special) and the year before the Dianno model opened for Judas Priest's Point of Entry tour....unfortunately it was almost 200 miles away from me and I had yet to learn to steal cars
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:17 pm | Edited by: Mark Beef

I bet you hated that fucker.

actually liked him immensely...especially when he wore a speedo and wrote "die fag die" on his chest

plus he played an iceman
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:17 pm

I saw the show by the way,but I didn't stick arround for W.A.S.P. cuz my ride was convinced there were way better things to do. Anyway, via T-Money, Lemmy was complaining that their whole show was synced up to a D.A.T. and it didn't work half the time, and called them "Posers".
That struck me as funny that he would use that term in it's proper context.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:20 pm

plus he played an iceman

PAUL FUCKING STANLEY!!!
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:22 pm

I am jealous of every one of those shows but Bon Jovi and Warrant. Wish I had been born about 10 years earlier. Motley Crue at one point knew how to channel late 70s glam sleaze into something amazing. ACDC+cannons+those about to rock we salute you= epic moment in arena rock madness.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:24 pm

I remember lucy lawless drinking blood out of a skull and rubbing wasp posters all over his crotch and ripping them up and throwing them in the audience....and the audience fighting over them. didn't quite understand that. but that audience never seemed like they were just coming from a mensa meeting
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:25 pm

motley crue was never anything good...you kids/history revisionists are stupid
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:29 pm

motley crue was never anything good
Yeah, they were bad. What's up the colisuem? Is it still there? being used for anyhing? Any of you guys know anyone who claims to have seen the Sex Pistols in Memphis?
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:31 pm

motley crue was never anything good...you kids/history revisionists are stupid
I cant say I'm a revisionist as I wasn't there to make an assessment. During their heyday I was busy dry humping the floor to Thundercats and smearing my boogers on the wall. If you don't think Live Wire is a good song I spose we just dont see eye to eye.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:32 pm

I always liked Mick Mars,

I mean Micky Ramone,

Joey's other brother, and another example for redbone to see what a "cool punk rocker" is.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:35 pm

mick mars is fine...cause he was a real 1000 year old corpse...the rest of them are complete shit...two words

hanoi rocks
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:37 pm | Edited by: Cole

I need some more Memphis music history. Just interested. How long has the Hi tone been around? When did it start happening? I went there on New Year's Eve for Davilla 666 and had a great time. I don't remember ever hearing about it before I started getting into the Goner scene though.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:38 pm

mick mars is fine...cause he was a real 1000 year old corpse
That's funny.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:53 pm

mick mars is fine...cause he was a real 1000 year old corpse...the rest of them are complete shit...two words

hanoi rocks

That's funny, and almost true.
The first idenity I had to "Glam Rock" was poision because I didn't know what the term ment.

I need some more Memphis music history. Just interested. How long has thi Hi tone been around? When did it start happening?

In the late 60's-mid 80's it was Kang Re karate studio.Elvis Aaron was all up in that shit. Elvis died, and Kang Re moved.
Started as a "Swing/rock-a-billy/coffee shop" in 97.
My friend and I were walking her dog (drunk) and she yelled at somebody in there for not selling beer.

The new owners are a "god send" compaired to dan and karen(the rockafuck coffee jerks).
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 5:26 pm

uh, you mean Dave.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 6:00 pm

Yeah I was there and it was like a bazillion degrees. They were hosing people down near the front of the stage. The opening band was Kingdom Come and yes, they were total Zeppelin worshippers with a squirt of Sabbath. Their song "17" is actually pretty rawkin'. I thought the frontman looked pretty stupid trying to look cool wearing a black leather jacket in the hot Memphis summer sun. Metallica was on their And Just Ass 4 Awe tour and were the main reason I went. They were still trash and most people weren't into them (good sign as far as I was concerned considering the audience). I remember Hetfield shouting "show some fucking life."

Onto others:
Iron Maiden and Twisted Sister at the Mid South Colosseum. The sisters actually put on a fun show as long as you didn't take it seriously, and how could you.

LA Guns opening for the Nuge at the Auditorium.

Yngwie Malmsteen opening for somebody (Rush?) at the Colosseum.
Fastway opening for somebody.

I generally avoided hair bands and stuck to power metal in the early and mid-eighties.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 6:15 pm | Edited by: Cole

Fastway opening for somebody.

I remember Fastway did the sountrack to a cheesy horor flick called Trick or Treat. I loved that soundtrack when I was 13. I would have loved to see them. They must have been notable if you don't even remember the headliner.

I'd like to see the movie again. I remember Skippy from Family Ties was in it. I remember the undead rock star killer shooting lasers out of his guitar. When your a kid nothing is more badass than that.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 6:22 pm

uh, you mean Dave.

drunk, and I dont give a shit
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 6:24 pm

you think the south is bad, try alaska... my first show was yngwei malmsteen opening up for the scorpions (yngwei got nailed with an empty whiskey bottle and storm off stage third song in)... luckily i soon found the local crappy punk bands that no one has ever heard of but provided antidote to the above mentioned shit.

ooh! i was at that show - it was yngwie, quiet riot and black & blue - aweful!
i lived in anchoarge from 81-86 and lucky me i got to see ozzy at west high,plus stuff like george thorogood, dio/dokken, ratt & the scorpoins.
i skipped the sammy hagar show.

except for throwing a roll of toilet paper at ratt & doing 'ludes for the first time @ dio, it was grim times indeed.

i should just stuck with skate death -
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 6:27 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda

Uh, I mean,

yeah, Rock-a-billy-what's-his-fuck.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 6:28 pm

Yeah Fastway weren't really a hair metal band, at least not at first. I mean, come on, Fast Eddie Clark on geetar, Pete Way on bass, Jerry Shirley from Humble Pie on drums. That young Irish dude on vocals was pretty good, too. I saw them twice actually. I'm sure now one of the shows was with Rush. I think the other was with Maiden and Saxon at the Auditorium.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 6:31 pm

Fast Eddie's one of my faves!
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 6:36 pm

I forgot Monsters of Rock! Anyone rember that?

Sho do. Julie Marsh & I were security guards for Wackenhut. $30 for the day & some ridiculousness backstage.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 6:38 pm

I saw Iron Maiden at the Auditorium North Hall but can't remember who opened that show...
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 6:39 pm

Ahhh...wes memphis does it again. Had to have been Saxon & Fastway. It was July 83.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 6:57 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I woulda enjoyed the hell outta all those shows except the B.J. and Warrant shows. Unless I paid less than $5 for those, then I woulda enjoyed them too.

The only other borderline one is Kiss.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 6:57 pm

As I was looking over my hair band concert list, something dawned on me. I'm going to throw myself under the bus. Most of those shows I have exuses for. I didn't know any better music, I was young, I just wanted to get out of the house etc,etc. The one show that I have no excuse for was the worst one. Warrant, Firehouse, and Trixter at mud island. That show happened at the time when grunge was blowing up and hair metal bands knew they were fucked. I knew and was listening to Minor Threat, Bad Brains and all that cool stuff. What the fuck was I thinking? There wasn't even any chicks going with us. I can't even use that excuse. I was a douche.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 7:00 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

It don't matter if there were chicks going with. I bet the hot slutty chick to stinky metal dude ratio at that show was way better than at the first Slayer show I went to.

Slayer was only like $8 tho.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 8:50 pm

There wasn't even any chicks going with us. I can't even use that excuse.

SATAN is waiting
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 9:04 pm

i should just stuck with skate death -

i ran track with the guitar player, tho he was a few years older...

don't forget the angry nuns.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 9:05 pm

SATAN is waiting
........to take me to hell where I'll be ass raped by the members of Firehouse for my hair metal sins.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 9:12 pm

what sins are you talkin' bout!
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 9:16 pm

the sins of going to terrible hair metal shows when I knew better! Everyone on this thread has basically said the same thing. "Those other shows aren't that bad, but I wouldn't touch Warrant or Bon Jovi". haha. I crossed the line.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 9:19 pm

I saw Mazzy Star in the 90s strictly for pussy possibilities.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 9:29 pm

mazzy star was fucking awesome with direct lineage to dream syndicate
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 9:42 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I still felt like a retard standing in line for it. I think it was only $12 at Pine Street, tho. Might have been called RCKCNDY or whatever at the time. Once I got in I discovered it was totally worth it, however.

Totally dripping.

If I could hit up a Leons show for $12 tonite, I'd totally hit that up!
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 9:50 pm

I saw INXS & and that awful band metallica but I didn't pay for the tickets.
I'm sorry I cheated on you, SATAN.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 9:52 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Shittiest hair metal show had to be Hammers Rule with Twixx or Quixx, or something like that opening up. Small bar show, however.

Listening to that cut now, I wouldn't mind seeing that shit again!!!!
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 9:53 pm

I saw Saint Vitus open for the Mentors with SATAN.

He told me he LOVED THAT SHOW!!!!!!
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 9:55 pm

with Twixx or Quixx, or something like that opening up.

Was it Kix?
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 10:00 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Holy shit! It was Kix! I remember a buncha Maryland between song banter that night. I dunno why I recalled two X's being involved.

Wow, they are hair masters! I seem to remember a big pink state fair stuffed snake in front of the kick drum, wrapping around the cymbal stands too.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 10:21 pm

Wow, they are hair masters! I seem to remember a big pink state fair stuffed snake in front of the kick drum, wrapping around the cymbal stands too.

My friend made fun of me because that was the only C.D. she had that I liked.

That's bad, I should have (did) been making fun of her.
She found Iggy, and that's what matters.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 10:25 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Damn, now I'm really trying to figure out the details of that show. I think that was an all-ages 6pm show followed by a drunk show afterwards where I hid in the bathroom when they did the kick-out-the-kids sweep.

And it coulda been:

Flotsam and Jetsam / Kix for the early show
Hammers Rule / Kix for the late show

Maybe Flots and Hammers switched for the openers, I dunno. I'm pretty sure I skipped the second Kix show cuz it was hard to stay out that late and I was prolly broke.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 10:30 pm

I'm guessing Flotsam and Jetsam played as openers for the second show, cuz that's the only way I could figure hiding in the bathroom as a kid to see a show. Cuz Flots just plain ruled!
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 10:35 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda

Like Kix, even through the ridicule, but I never saw any of those bands.

Hey SSSSSS, have you ever seen "TESLA"?

When one describes a "guilty pleasure" I can only assume tha they LOVE RAMONES, MOTORHEAD, AC/DC, JUDAS PRIEST, CRAMPS and KISS, and don't care which errant fag knows it.

Tesla falls into the relm of "Guilty".
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 10:38 pm

I like tesla for some gawdawful reason
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 10:45 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I like Tesla. I get stoked when the "we play anything" radio station cues up Little Suzi's on the Up. I remember my friend's nerd guitarist bro holed up in his room with headphones on playing along to Tesla tapes while we were spinning War Pigs and drinking Robitussin.

I would like to like Kix, cuz I'm a sucker for keyboard heavy metal, but man, their guitarists suck ass. Kix singer rules, tho.

Never seen Tesla, though.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 10:48 pm

One guilty pleasure listed above is Autograph, cuz I'll never forget this one broad with perky titties wearing an Autograph shirt sharing said titties with me.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 10:57 pm

You really need to start addressing me with the proper amount of S's.

SSSSSSS.

It's important.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 10:58 pm

Oh, and Slaughter. Also related to titties.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 11:10 pm

Any home grown Memhis hair metal? I remember Tora Tora. They weren't really hair metal though.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 11:21 pm

son of slam
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 4:55 am

I've done a lot of things for pussy

but going to an ass awful bullshit show has never been one of them

"yeah you go have fun and maybe I'll see ya later" that's about the size of it

I do like that terrible tesla "love is all around you" song for some god awful reason...I think it's cause Satan wants me to eat a herp sore
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 7:25 am

She found Iggy, and that's what matters.

Agreed. That's more important than finding jesus.
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 7:31 am

I said regarding Metallica in '88

They were still trash

I meant "thrash". Freudian slip?
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 11:34 am

Saw Kiss when I was 11...then saw Judas Priest when I was 13...
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 11:37 am

Any home grown Memhis hair metal?
Roxy Blue. They said they were metal. But they weren't.
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 12:14 pm

Saw Kiss when I was 11...then saw Judas Priest when I was 13...

I don't think I saw any of this stuff post 13...well Manowar...but they are ageless/timeless
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Kiss was 1977...

Judas Priest was 1980
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 8:09 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Roxy Blue. They said they were metal. But they weren't.

"THEY WERE ROCK STARS!! THEN SEATLE HAPPENED [...] ALL OF THE SUDDEN ALL OF THE ROCK FANS WERE INTO FLANNEL SHIRTS AND GOAT TEES!"

awww.
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 11:35 am

alice cooper/vinny vincent was auditorium north hall.
it was next year that motorhead bailed/left with just tora tora as openers.
same venue.

caught maiden opening for 38 special in jackson, ms that year. think it was 82. krokus was also one of the openers. ticket price - $6.98
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 12:13 pm

Did Motorhead EVER play Memphis?
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 2:34 pm

Did Motorhead EVER play Memphis?

I don't know but I do know they were supposed to open for Alice Cooper at the Auditorium in the late eighties. I went down there specifically to see Motorhead and they announced that Motorhead was having visa problems getting into the country and they wouldn't be playing. Talk about being disappointed and pissed. Of course you could get a refund as long as you did so before Alice came on. I stayed only because the dude I was with was there to see Alice, and we were in his car. I just saw cowboy posted about that show. I remember Tora. They sucked because their guitarist's sound went out for half the show.
Posted: Mar 2, 2010 2:49 am

Nirvana at the daisy two Sunday shows i was there
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®