Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / turntable for sale
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 12:26 am

http://memphis.craigslist.org/ele/1599354699.html

SOTA Sapphire Turntable with Eminent Technology 2.0 Airbearing Tonearm with Monster Cable Moving Coil Cartridge $2,000.00
Audio Research PH3 Tube Phono Preamp $750.00

serious.
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 1:00 am

that thing is worth more than my car. Very Serious.
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 7:21 am

Yeah but can your ear tell the difference between that thing and $150 Dual?
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 7:54 am | Edited by: Scott

Tommy can tell the difference. Tommy, just imagine if you had that turntable AND your record weight!
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 8:00 am

Tommy can tell the difference.
DJ Twinkle Toes
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 8:09 am

DJ Suckle Nutz
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 8:11 am

It's a very nice deck. I looked at a Sota Comet, which is a few steps down from this one. I didn't like the manual speed change, though. I hate the idea of lifting the platter and changing the belt every time I want to play a 7". Also, there was no outboard PSU available that could do the speed change electronically.

Old Duals, modded ARs, Thorens are GREAT, but this is a step up. I'd rather have a used Linn, anyway.

Scott, the Sota doesn't need a weight, because it has a vacuum. It does have a clamp (as you can see in the pictures), though. Eat a dick.

My dream record players:
Merrill
Linn LP12
VPI The Classic
Thorens 160 HD
McIntosh MT10
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 9:40 am

most of my records are scratchy so a Bugatti/Lamborghini turntable would be worthless to me
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 9:42 am

I didn't like the manual speed change, though. I hate the idea of lifting the platter and changing the belt every time I want to play a 7"

that's why you get two of em.
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 9:54 am

I hear you, Rumple. I buy a lot of used records, but I buy new copies (or the cleanest copies I can find) of the ones I really care about.

I baby my good records...too many clicks and pops is unacceptable. I'm a true believer in the fact that vinyl sounds better, but there is a LOT of hassle and expense to get REALLY good sound out of records.

Bazooka, two Comets would cost more most of my dream tables.
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 10:02 am

but think about all the wear and tear you'd save by not switching the belt every other record.
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 10:28 am | Edited by: Cole

So whats a good affordable turntable? I'm just using one I bought at radio shack with some decent headphones. I have no idea of what a good setup would be. I've gotten far enough into vinyl that I'd like to upgrade. I'm also tired of using headphones.
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 10:58 am

Buy USED!!

Anything heavy is better than anything made out of plastic.

If you buy something from a well-known Japanese company, make sure it's OLD and was made when people primarily listened to records. Newer Sonys, Onkyos, Sansuis, etc. can be had for cheap, but they're mostly shit. I bought a used Sansui to match the stereo I had as a kid for $30.00 on ebay. It does the job, but it's pretty crappy. However, it's way better than the $130 Sony I bought new at Circuit City my first year out of college.

If I was replacing my current turntable, and my budget was under $500, I'd look at used Thorens, Regas, Music Halls and Projects. You can find good used ones around $300. Unfortunately, most (Thorens excluded) don't have automatic speed change. Some also have an outboard PSU that will regulate speed at the push of the button (Speed box-by Pro-Ject--should also work on Music Halls).

A lot of folks like even older Gerrards, Duals, ARs, Denons, etc.

Some people (mostly DJs) like direct drive turntables, where the motor is directly attached to the spindle. This allows you to scratch. Most audio-nerds don't like direct drive TTs (they think the motor can affect the sound). Regardless the Technics 1200 is a very highly regarded deck.

There is a wide variety of new turntables at www.needledoctor.com
The store is VERY expensive, but it will give you an idea of the variety and styles of new turntables.
From $99 to $150K!!
http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Show-All-Turntables?sort1desc =F&sort1=Item_ONLINECUSTOMERPRICE&range=

Also check out
www.audiogon.com for used stuff. I LOVE this site.

Ebay is also great. Belts are cheap!
http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-PL-10-Belt-Drive-Turntable-boxed-NR_W0QQit emZ250578143962QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item3a57 9f0ada

If you're tired of headphones, I'm guessing you'll need a phono pre-amp. I think the Cambridge Audio 540p is the best budget pre-amp out there. If you had an older receiver or integrated amp, it'll probably already have a phono output.
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 12:01 pm

That's the hook up! Thanks. I'm fixing to check all those links. Good stuff.
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 12:47 pm

Technics 1200 is a very highly regarded deck.

i have one of these and it's probably close to 20 years old now, if not more than that, and it still works and still sounds good. had to replace the needle, but that's it.
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 2:06 pm

if anyone in chicago is looking for a turntable i have a very nice thorens i am letting go for extra cheap. also, my NAD 312 amp is also on the block. get in touch!
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 2:59 pm

It's a very nice deck. I looked at a Sota Comet, which is a few steps down from this one. I didn't like the manual speed change, though. I hate the idea of lifting the platter and changing the belt every time I want to play a 7". Also, there was no outboard PSU available that could do the speed change electronically.

Old Duals, modded ARs, Thorens are GREAT, but this is a step up. I'd rather have a used Linn, anyway.

My dream record players:
Merrill
Linn LP12
VPI The Classic
Thorens 160 HD
McIntosh MT10

I baby my good records...too many clicks and pops is unacceptable. I'm a true believer in the fact that vinyl sounds better, but there is a LOT of hassle and expense to get REALLY good sound out of records.
Buy USED!!

Anything heavy is better than anything made out of plastic.

If you buy something from a well-known Japanese company, make sure it's OLD and was made when people primarily listened to records. Newer Sonys, Onkyos, Sansuis, etc. can be had for cheap, but they're mostly shit. I bought a used Sansui to match the stereo I had as a kid for $30.00 on ebay. It does the job, but it's pretty crappy. However, it's way better than the $130 Sony I bought new at Circuit City my first year out of college.

If I was replacing my current turntable, and my budget was under $500, I'd look at used Thorens, Regas, Music Halls and Projects. You can find good used ones around $300. Unfortunately, most (Thorens excluded) don't have automatic speed change. Some also have an outboard PSU that will regulate speed at the push of the button (Speed box-by Pro-Ject--should also work on Music Halls).

A lot of folks like even older Gerrards, Duals, ARs, Denons, etc.

Some people (mostly DJs) like direct drive turntables, where the motor is directly attached to the spindle. This allows you to scratch. Most audio-nerds don't like direct drive TTs (they think the motor can affect the sound). Regardless the Technics 1200 is a very highly regarded deck.

There is a wide variety of new turntables at www.needledoctor.com
The store is VERY expensive, but it will give you an idea of the variety and styles of new turntables.
From $99 to $150K!!
http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Show-All-Turntables?sort1desc =F&sort1=Item_ONLINECUSTOMERPRICE&range=

Also check out
www.audiogon.com for used stuff. I LOVE this site.

Ebay is also great. Belts are cheap!
http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-PL-10-Belt-Drive-Turntable-boxed-NR_W0QQit emZ250578143962QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item3a57 9f0ada

If you're tired of headphones, I'm guessing you'll need a phono pre-amp. I think the Cambridge Audio 540p is the best budget pre-amp out there. If you had an older receiver or integrated amp, it'll probably already have a phono output.

What a faggot!
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 3:17 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-PL-10-Belt-Drive-Turntable-boxed-NR_W0 QQit emZ250578143962QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item3a57 9f0ada

I've got that one stored in the attic coz i had some feedback problems with it.
That was probably at the time I had no neighbours complaining bout the music.
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 3:42 pm

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 4:55 pm

Gakken!!!

A bamboo needle AND the only record player you can record with!!
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 5:10 pm

that thing is wicked cool. dang!
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 5:20 pm

Instantly thought of the Mr. Show sketch with the Edison cylinders
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 5:33 pm

Well, Gakken also makes those Edison Home Phonographs. Instead of wax cylinders you can record on regular plastic cups. They're for sale on ebay for less than 30 bucks (not the cups!) and there's a couple of videos on yutube.
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 5:52 pm

i have one of these and it's probably close to 20 years old now, if not more than that, and it still works and still sounds good. had to replace the needle, but that's it

Yes! Those things are built like tanks. I was working at a stereo store in the 80s and got one that had been freight-damaged for 100 bucks instead of 400. There's a big gash in the front where a forklift went through the box and hit it but it works perfectly. I put an Audio-Technica AT 225LC cartridge on it, which normally cost 225 but I got it for 40 bucks from a special deal for people that worked at their dealers' stores. All I have to do is replace the needle every few years for about 60 bucks. It sounds great although all the high-end detail means that scratchy records don't sound too good (I have an old console stereo for my scratchy vinyl collection.)

It also has one of my all-time favorite TT features. It's a consumer model of the 1200 called the 1700 so it does have auto-return so you don't have to get up and lift the needle, BUT there's a switch in the back to turn off the auto-return so you can listen to locked grooves and old Studio One LPs where the vinyl is cut right up to the label.

Yes, I am a nerd.
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 6:52 pm

It also has one of my all-time favorite TT features. It's a consumer model of the 1200 called the 1700 so it does have auto-return so you don't have to get up and lift the needle, BUT there's a switch in the back to turn off the auto-return so you can listen to locked grooves and old Studio One LPs where the vinyl is cut right up to the label.

never heard of that feature. 1700, eh? rad.
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 11:00 pm

I got an Audio-Technica I bought new...that's the poor mans Technics 1200....same design just no engraved buttons.

If anything ever happens to that I suppose I'll buy a restored Rek-o-kut Rondine or something....

I listen to punk rock and I drink beer.
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 11:16 pm

I've been looking at this shit all day. I'm utterly blown away how big this whole fucking thing is. I tell my friends that I've been buying alot of vinyl and they try to sell me their sisters Men At Work albums. But man, alot of people are into it. You got 20 grand to blow, they have a turntable for you. I put in a couple of bids on ebay. We'll see how it goes.
Hey are these singles clubs cool? Anybody know one that would have some really good music? I like the concept, but don't know most of the bands. Thanks for putting up with my newbie bullshit.
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 11:28 pm

This is the description for a 20,000 dollar turntable, the Roksan TMS-3 .

Function of a record player is to measure the groove with respect to time. The more accurate is this measurement the better is the performance of the record player. To measure something accurately, a reference point and its precise location is required. During this measurement the record is rotating and only one thing could locate the precise position of the groove and that is the stylus tip. So it is of paramount importance to keep the stylus/record contact free from any disturbances. The reference point is the axis of rotation. So it is equally important to avoid any 'wobble' in the main bearing. Internal and external noise and disturbances would also impair the measurement. The stylus is fitted to the tone arm, which in turn is supported by the arm board. So the arm board/main bearing structure requires very careful design to ensure its complete mechanical integrity. The main bearing/platter/motor assembly should also work in such a way that the stylus/record interface is kept free from internal and external disturbances. In short the whole design unfolds from the stylus tip.

I'm sold.
Posted: Feb 17, 2010 9:19 am

those Gakken dudes are great!
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 8:58 am

Scott, I may be a faggot, but that's because God made me that way.

You, on the other hand, are lower than slug shit because you like to butt-fuck barnyard animals and little boys, and then you blame their assholes for being in the way of your dick.

I'd rather be gay than a filthy animal fucker like yourself.

The good news is that you'll be able to meet lots of new people friends in truck stop bathrooms, sexy.
That's a big 10-4, Easter Bunny.
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 10:10 am

Posted: Feb 18, 2010 6:22 pm | Edited by: eric o

If you're really good, you can hear the music by studying the grooves.

http://www.synthgear.com/2010/audio-gear/record-grooves-electron-micro scope/

dig it. (c/o @Blastitude)
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®