Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Guitar tone question
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 12:20 pm

I'm thinking of replacing the plastic pickguard on my Ric with a home-made wooden one for tone reasons. Does it make enough of a difference to even bother? The wood has to be rather thin due to the length of the screws of the volume/tone knobs.
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 1:09 pm

Wood is always "warmer". Make sure you use audiophile-grade, quarter-sawn, old growth forrest wood, harvested by an indigenous person with out the use of growth hormones or pesticides that has been fertilized by an endangered species.
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 1:17 pm

Why not replace the knobs, too?
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 1:26 pm

I've actually read about replacing the knobs...

I like the way that they look, though
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 1:30 pm

I like the way that they look, though
Couldn't you keep the knobs themselves and put them on different pots with longer shafts?
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 1:44 pm

longer shafts
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 2:34 pm

this is plain weird.
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 3:22 pm | Edited by: queenothetwist

Posted: Jan 21, 2010 3:23 pm

WTF?
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 3:27 pm

What kind of strings are you using?

Amp? Effects?

I've never heard of changing a pickguard for tone reasons. There are many more options.
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 4:21 pm

For a Ric, the best thing is to put a super hot DiMarzio in the bridge position and a Floyd Rose tremelo w/locking nut.

Also, duck tape everywhere.
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 4:25 pm

Posted: Jan 21, 2010 5:19 pm

You could replace the whole guitar with a Gibson Les Paul, and put seymour duncans in
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 5:21 pm

Also, duck tape everywhere.

that dosen't help,

you silly willy
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 5:23 pm

Flat-wound strings and felt picks for that smooooooth sound.
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 5:29 pm

Why would you change a thing on a Rickenbacker? They're perfect the way they are!
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 5:34 pm

Those knobs that look like dice?

Built-in wireless transmitter?

It should be floatational.

Hello Kitty stickers.
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 5:44 pm

Hello Kitty stickers.

You can equally decent tone out of Sanrio knock-off stickers -AT HALF THE COST!
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 6:15 pm

Hahaha thanks guys

Don't misunderstand me...I love the guitar and the way it sounds/plays...I just want to optimize the resonance of its body/neck by cutting down on what I see as potentially disruptive materials (i.e. plastic).

The idea of the different pots is interesting; I'm gonna look into that
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 6:16 pm

"Why would you change a thing on a Rickenbacker? They're perfect the way they are!" and
"You could replace the whole guitar with a Gibson Les Paul,"

littlemisslinda and Joe T just gave you the best advice, you will get.

The majority of your electric guitar's tone is gonna come from your pickups and your amp. A bit from the wood of the body, and a some from hardware(nuts and bridges), but the bulk is the pickups/amp. A wood pickguard on a Ric would really just be for aesthetic reasons.
Think of it this way, You ever see a bullshit infomercial or ad that has some airflow doo-hicky you can put on your carburetor for 30 dollars that will then "increase your gas mileage by 3 or 4 miles to a gallon! saving you thousands each year!"? You have to ask yourself, If this was really the case, why doesn't a new Chevy cost 20 thousand and thirty dollars as opposed to 20 thousand dollars? A multi-billion dollar car company can't unlock the secrets to high gas mileage for me, but a small fish company can?

If natural wood really helped tone, why wouldn't there be more electric guitars that come from the factory natural or with natural pickgaurds? Why? because multimillion dollar companys like Ric,Fender,and Gibson have done research and found no real difference in sound.

Now if you want to slap on a wood gaurd just cuz it looks cool, I'm all for that.
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 6:20 pm

Part of the reason is aesthetic as well, yes. The plastic pickguard looks really cheap on such a fine geetar
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Also, I realize that adding a wooden pickguard wouldn't revolutionize the sound of my guitar, but it's possible that it could make a slight difference in sound.

Les Paul's are nice but I only weigh 127 pounds...the last time I played one of those it really killed my back
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 6:58 pm

The majority of your electric guitar's tone is gonna come from your pickups and your amp.

My guitar is made of lucite and it sounds great!
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 7:07 pm

My guitar is made of air and I can go from sounding like Ritchie Blackmore to Michael Schenker in a split second.
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 7:25 pm

"My guitar is made of lucite and it sounds great!"

My point exactly , Dan Armstrong Ampegs are great, but there is a reason they are shipped with multiple pickups, and a slot to slide even more pickups in.

semi-related. I want a Perfect Fits l.p. (and shows.)
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 8:32 pm

My Dan Armstrong made me do heroin. Lost all my teeth...
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 11:57 pm

Part of the reason is aesthetic as well, yes. The plastic pickguard looks really cheap on such a fine geetar

dude....no.

Rickenbacker has some of the most aesthetically well-thought-out designs out there. Most make "classic" Fenders look like utilitarian slop.

plus Ric designs are 1950s / 60s and that plastic was state-of-the-art back then!

but really, a pickguard swap is pretty non-destructive, so go for it. I can only scream and shout at you if it your mods involve mutilation by routing or refinishing.
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 8:49 am

Rickenbacker has some of the most aesthetically well-thought-out designs out there. Most make "classic" Fenders look like utilitarian slop.

JPK, white courtesy phone. . .
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 9:32 am

A Tele and a Ric are oil and water...and thank god for both of em.
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 10:16 am | Edited by: carney

I just want to optimize the resonance of its body/neck by cutting down on what I see as potentially disruptive materials (i.e. plastic).
My original response was meant to take the piss out of your idea. I hope you are kidding, but I am afraid you are not. So...

For $1000 US I will take your guitar and perform a tone exorcism. It's not the plastic's fault that it is a demonic tone-sucker. For an additional $500, I will infuse negative ions into the guitar making it always 180 degrees out of phase. To bring it back into harmonic balance I will then whisper a secret incantation, thus aligning the cell structure of the wood.

What about the rest of your signal chain? I think you also need a $700 10 ft cable. why go to all the trouble of "correcting" your guitar if you are not going to realize it's full potential as a tone machine. I've done similar work for Steven Seagall with amazing results, just ask him. This also worked wonders for Tim Stegall.
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 11:14 am

just buy a equametric paralyzer
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 11:39 am

don't get me wrong-- I love a good Fender, and the one Ric I do own is sort of a plain jane / oddball.

it's just that the classic Rics are pretty, pretty guitars. the binding, burst finishes, etc set them apart from Fender's more mass-production oriented sensibilities-- slab bodies, bolt-on necks, solid colors lifted from the auto industry. Those are all great in their own right, and they were certainly innovative back in the day.

anyway, sorry to derail this thread into TDPRI territory....
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 11:44 am

Simple question to answer...No it doesn't make enough of a fuckin differance to even bother!

If you do change it, just remember that I tried to tell you so.
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 11:48 am | Edited by: Beer Joint

What made Fenders great a million years ago still makes them great....they were originaly designed for kids to replace the necks! Any fucktard can set up a fender tele or strat. I would never buy any new Fender guitar of any kind, because they're the biggest soul sucking corporation around..but hell yeah, I'll buy them on the used market and mod the hell out of them...they were never meant to be pretty guitars...they were meant for garage bands to accidentally knock them over and spill beer all over them.
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 1:14 pm

I don't like fender, or 'ric' necks and find it strange that people prefer them.
One-because of egocentric reasons, and...

two-because I have weird hands (wide w/skinny, short, uber-double-jointed fingers that have the potential to make folks cringe).
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Posted: Jan 22, 2010 4:20 pm

Just saw the TV ad for this. ***Shudder***

Clapton is the most overrated shit in history, but that topic's been covered eons ago.
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 8:58 pm

Just saw the TV ad for this. ***Shudder***

Clapton is the most overrated shit in history, but that topic's been covered eons ago.

That's another reason I hate fenders
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 9:14 pm

have the potential to make folks cringe

The fingers have nothing to do with it, bro-bro.
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 11:40 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda

I am a lovely lady.
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 11:44 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda

Les Paul's are nice but I only weigh 127 pounds...the last time I played one of those it really killed my back

Try an S-G, Angus.
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 7:00 am

I love the shape of the pickguard. The design of the guitar is incredible, but the plastic they used on this particular model looks cheap and brings down the overall classy look of the instrument; It just looks out of place. If I designed a new pickguard I would most likely maintain the original shape and just use a better material.

I don't really like the way SG's play, but aesthetically they're great...

My friend had this great SG from the 70s with a dark walnut color and tuning pegs that looked like they were made out of pure silver...but, like every other SG I've ever played, the neck didn't do much for me.
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 10:25 am | Edited by: Beer Joint

dude ornette coleman's best shit was recorded with a plastic sax with broken buttons he found in the garbage...they're worth a buttload but only because they were so fucking fagile and a novelty...and oh yeah, coleman himself. do you really think it fucking matters what your instrument is made out of?

it's not worth it dude.

my most prized guitar is a guild thunderbird with velvet hammer pickups...I know good tone.....if you just want to do it for aesthetics that's one thing...but hell spray paint the plastic with sparkle paint or something...put stickers on it....do it to look cool that's as valid a reason as anything...fuck tone though....people wouldn't know good tone if it kicked them in the ass anyway.
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Tone [i]is[i] important...however, I'm not relying on just tone or cool hair or any other bullshit over substance; I'd just like to maximize great sound.

I do think it matters, to a degree, what instrument you're using, though.

I have weird double-jointed fingers, too. When I first started playing it was kind of difficult to do a lot of chords because of the way my fingers would (un)naturally bend)
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 1:56 pm

i really think you should pay more attention to your hair.
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 3:02 pm

most of your tone comes from your fingers...guitar and amp help, but mostly it is your fingers...if you practice, your tone will get better...its all how you fret those notes.
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 4:31 pm

....and see about making your fingers double-jointed too.
Make Johnny Thunders proud.
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 5:00 pm

All it takes is a hammer and a whole lot of vicodin and whiskey. You could even make yourself triple jointed.
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 6:15 pm

Most guitars have a tone knob. Turn it up if you want more.
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 6:28 pm

I have weird double-jointed fingers, too. When I first started playing it was kind of difficult to do a lot of chords because of the way my fingers would (un)naturally bend)

oh, my bad, I didn't read that.
Having double jointed fingers can be used to your atvantage.
About 5 nifty tricks, especially concerning the D,G,&B strings.
70's era bending craziness.
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 6:38 pm

My chello and piano teachers used to make derogatory comments about my double-jointed fingers.
I was too young to have balls enough to slap them in the face and yell "My parents MADE me come here stupid bitch".
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 7:13 pm

I also have a permanently broken finger on my left (fretting) hand...so I'll never be a jazz player (oh well).

What kinda tricks do you mean?

I started bending on the other side of the nut the other day...saw it in some country guitar video.
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 7:42 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda

I started bending on the other side of the nut the other day...saw it in some country guitar video.

"I am IRON MAN"
-Ozzy Osbourne

Take Me-Kiss
Mr. Speed-same
J.Thunders does all kinds of jingle-jangles by fretting all D,G,&B strings, but one that's most obvious is laying the distal phalanx of your index finger across d,g,b,(making them e,a,c#) and leaving the bottom e to ring.This gives finger #'s 3,4,&5 to run amuck and hit which ever notes of the penatonic blues scale your little heart desires, and the 3rd finger(joint bent backward) to bend g&b all kindsa ways, well maybe just one.....
gotta run to the liquor store, I'll post more tricks tomorrow.
linda
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 7:55 pm

Rad...it's three AM here and my girlfriend is passed out in bed next to me, so I can't try them out til tomorrow, but looking forward to it!
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 8:31 pm

When you play an electric guitar through an amplifier, the sound is produced in part by plastic capacitors and resistors in the amplifier - the pickguard is not part of the signal chain. If you can hear the difference between a wood guard and a plastic one, you have magical elf ears.

Body wood is just as important to tone as pickups are IMO. But the thickness of the neck is maybe a bigger factor for tone than the body wood OR the pickups. Telecasters (and some Les Pauls) in the 50's had big fat baseball bat necks and I think that's a big reason they sound so good. Allparts makes fat replacement necks for Teles and that's what I have on mine. It makes a big difference in tone from the standard size necks. I'm certain of that, because I've put a fat neck on and then put the standard back on 5 minutes later, and then back again - trust me, you can hear the difference.

Unfortunately, you can't change the neck on a Rick, but then again, to me, Ricks have a certain sound that only a Rick will get and if you want that sound, you get a Rick. For me, a Telecaster will do anything any guitar will do and unlike a lot of others, it will stay in tune while it does it. It won't sound exactly like a Rick or a Les Paul, but it will get close enough, with just a slight change in the volume or tone knob. Close enough for a beer bar, anyway. Plus you can use it as a weapon. A Rickenbacker or Gibson, not so much. Brian Venable mounted a bottle opener to his Tele.

As far as Fender being a soul-sucking corporation...Yes, they market their stuff to wealthy baby-boomers with ridiculous gimmicks, but so does Gibson and every other electric guitar company that was around back then. But you can also go to Guitar Center right now and buy a $100 Squier and it will sound fine and you can start writing songs on it and playing shows and making music on it. That's a wonderful thing and I'm glad Fender and these other companies make that possible.
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 8:42 pm

One more thing: one hour of practicing will make a bigger difference in tone than any piece of equipment. I know that's not a cool thing to say, but it's true.

Of course, that's never stopped me from obsessing over gear, either.
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 9:44 pm

But you can also go to Guitar Center right now and buy a $100 Squier and it will sound fine and you can start writing songs on it and playing shows and making music on it.

They've really developed the Squier brand in the few last years, too. They're making some pretty cool budget guitars now-- Jagmaster, P-90 Tele Deluxe, Squier '51, the whole Classic Vibe series-- and most retail for under $300. 15 years ago, practically all you could get was a Squire Strat in a solid color.
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 10:07 pm

15 years ago, practically all you could get was a Squire Strat in a solid color.
and that is what i got.
Posted: Jan 24, 2010 7:52 am

Yeah, Rics have great tone, hence why I bought one, but, like I said, I want to maximize the potential tone of its body/neck/wood. The purpose of this thread was to ask if it was worth the trouble to replace the pickguard due to sonic reasons, and, apparently, it is not.

I still may do it for aesthetic reasons, though...

Now I'm also waiting around for Linda's guitar tricks!
Posted: Jan 24, 2010 8:47 am

Retch!

I love hearing someone who does it well play a Tele (example: JKP), but every time I pick one up, no matter what amp or style of music I'm playing, it just doesn't sound right. I don't think it ever will. My hatred of Strats won't even allow me to pick one up.
Posted: Jan 24, 2010 10:31 am

a "Play Fender" official bottle opener appeared mounted to a tele in the 2006 Fender catalog(maybe in earlier ones, can't check now)- next to an "official" cap catcher and guitar/amp salt and pepper shakers. Wonder if B.V. was the inspiration?
Posted: Jan 24, 2010 10:38 am

The purpose of this thread was to ask if it was worth the trouble to replace the pickguard due to sonic reasons, and, apparently, it is not.

I still may do it for aesthetic reasons, though...

Hey, it can't hurt.

Thanks Scott, you are too kind.

They've really developed the Squier brand in the few last years, too. They're making some pretty cool budget guitars now-- Jagmaster, P-90 Tele Deluxe, Squier '51, the whole Classic Vibe series-- and most retail for under $300.

Man, those Classic Vibe Squiers are hands-down the best guitars for the money right now. They're as good as the Mexican-made 50's Classics and 60's Classics, and at half the price. The Classic Vibe Tele is the first Squier I've seen with the correct vintage-type hardware (Klusons, 3-saddle bridge, etc.) They got the color right and everything. If I was gonna buy a new guitar today, I'd buy one of those. They are great, great guitars.
Posted: Jan 24, 2010 11:47 am

I also have a permanently broken finger on my left (fretting) hand...so I'll never be a jazz player (oh well).

django reinhart did ok with only 2 (working) fingers
Posted: Jan 24, 2010 1:08 pm

True, but he was a gypsy and had resulting mystical powers
Posted: Jan 24, 2010 3:42 pm

I broke my left pinky playing football and it took years to get back up to snuff

django reinhart did ok with only 2 (working) fingers

That freak never even learned any RAMONES songs.
He sucks!
Posted: Jan 24, 2010 4:06 pm

I'll post more tricks tomorrow.

The other ways I was thinking about are diferent variations of "that". You can do that crap all the way up the neck. The 3rd finger is the most fun to do variations of bends using your backward "I.P." joint.

Some people get very drunk at post stuff on this message board, I'm one of them.
Posted: Jan 24, 2010 5:27 pm

Retch!

Those shirts would get you so much Snookiepuss down on the jersey shore
Posted: Jan 24, 2010 5:31 pm

Well, it's definitely an interesting technique...I was trying out other variations using different shapes, fret-board positions, etc. and I already came up with a decent little riff.

Unfortunately for me, though, my third finger is the one that is broken and I can't use it for shit for bending...I can't even make a fist with my left hand, but I can definitely bend with my other fingers.
Posted: Jan 24, 2010 5:34 pm

P.S.

This is a cool Fender shirt, although you can't see the whole thing (including the yellow guitar on the left). Too bad it has that stupid white guitar head at the top...makes it reek of all-over print t-shirts.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs148.snc1/5490_129990216 791_708306791_2951201_8054190_n.jpg
Posted: Jan 25, 2010 12:16 pm

They've really developed the Squier brand in the few last years, too. They're making some pretty cool budget guitars now-- Jagmaster, P-90 Tele Deluxe, Squier '51, the whole Classic Vibe series-- and most retail for under $300. 15 years ago, practically all you could get was a Squire Strat in a solid color.
You for got the Squier Hello Kitty series
Posted: Jan 25, 2010 3:56 pm | Edited by: fag lotion

A little back-of-the-neck pussy rub will, however, improve your tone.
Posted: Jan 25, 2010 5:29 pm

Hot damn that's a great looking guitar
Posted: Jan 25, 2010 7:29 pm | Edited by: frankenspline

and the Pete Wentz signature precision bass. because, he's like, one of the best bass players since...uh...like...the guy from Weezer or something
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 12:13 pm

Well, it's a precision Squier, so it's made for kids just starting out, who are at, say, about the same age as Fallout Boy fans.
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 3:27 pm

Fender sucks because they brag about how cheap thier parts are at trade shows...you're much better off picking and choosing on the used market...since they're basically like the Walmart of the guitar industry at this point...every year they shoot for lowere price margins.

As far as not liking a fender neck, they've made so many over the years, it's hard to believe that....get a short scale if prefer a gibson neck.

Gibson is a huge blood sucking corporation, but thier quality standards have suffered no where near that of Fender.....they're a total rip off usually, but that's besides the point.
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 7:49 pm

As far as not liking a fender neck, they've made so many over the years, it's hard to believe that....

Standard telecaster necks.

Play like crap, sound rediculous.
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 7:51 pm

Jimbo Hale loved the Hale out of telecasters, and said they get the exact kind of country twang he looks for.

He's crazy.
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 8:01 pm

Buck Owens AND Waylon Jennings. No fuckin' Strats for them!
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 8:18 pm

....and I'm crazy for buying their records.
They don't do ANY Ramones covers.

Jimbo Hale HATES the Ramones by the way.

Crazy old man
Posted: Jan 27, 2010 2:00 pm

So play a mustang...what the fuck? I hate the longer scale of fenders also...that's why you mod them.
Posted: Jan 27, 2010 4:01 pm

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 4:13 pm

Ahh, but the necks aren't metal. Check out Electrical Guitars from Florida to see how it's done.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®