Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Memphis Pipes freezing!
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 9:14 am

hey, I woke up this morning and I hadn't left my hot water kitchen sink faucet dripping and no water was coming out. But I fixed it! I tuned on the non-working faucet, opened up the kitchen sink cabinets and put a space heater under there blowing at the hot water line, ran the hot water from the other faucets, and went outside with a blow dryer and put hot air on the line for about 5 minutes...it worked !

hope this can help someone else today.
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 9:23 am

heat guns (used for paint removal and other stuff) are hot as bejeezus and can help, too.

and keep your cold water line dripping! burst pipes are ballad of no goodo.
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 10:37 am

left it dripping last night but had rust coming out, at first, this morning. guess i'll leave it dripping during the day?

never had this problem up in the Rust Belt and it was, obviously, much colder up there? what gives?
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 10:39 am

less insulation here
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 10:43 am

Bruce is right.

This makes me a little nervous (both Bruce being right and the freezing pipes).
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 10:53 am

Pipe question:

Last night I ran all the faucets in my house: 3 sinks and 2 tubs. I ran a mix of hot and cold water. I ran a small stream of water that was less than the size of my pinky.

Overkill?
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 11:55 am

heat guns (used for paint removal and other stuff) are hot as bejeezus and can help, too.
Don't burn your house down.
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 5:03 pm

Overkill?
$10 higher water bill is better than frozen pipes. Don't burn your house down.
Amen
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 5:08 pm

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 5:35 pm

I've got a half basement/half crawlspace. I'm thinking I will set up a heater blowing into the crawlspace and one in the basement part too. Heat rises, so maybe that's the best way to heat this old house anyway, right?
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 7:23 pm

pipes freezing in Memphis??! Golly.
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 8:18 pm

never had this problem up in the Rust Belt and it was, obviously, much colder up there? what gives?

I looked up the frost line for "Michigan" not southern, not northern, but the state proscribed depth (which can be modified by city and county codes) is 42" as compared to Memphis' depth of 18".

We typically don't see these temperatures so they don't require us to bury our pipes that deep.

And once it's in the envelope of your footings, pipes and other footings can be higher/exposed.
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 8:26 pm

Last night I ran all the faucets in my house: 3 sinks and 2 tubs. I ran a mix of hot and cold water. I ran a small stream of water that was less than the size of my pinky.

you should only need to run it in one sink. cold water. furthest sink from the street.

I put a skirt around my house made of 4 mil plastic sheeting. It makes a lot of noise and does not seem to make the house any warmer, but who knows.
Posted: Jan 9, 2010 12:03 am

I nixed the basement heating idea. It's not that cold down there. I do have all the faucets drizzling though. Delivered one bottle of red wine to one friend with frozen pipes to try to cheer her up, and a space heater/thawing mechanism to another. Bummer.
Posted: Jan 9, 2010 1:28 am

My bathroom sink pipes froze this morning. Did as mentioned above... space heater and running the faucet. Took about an hour to thaw it out.
Posted: Jan 9, 2010 9:19 am

my hot water pipe to the shower froze sometime yesterday while i was at work. have had a heater on the pipe since last night and still no running water. not good. think i may have to crawl under the house and put the heater there to see if it will thaw out. uuuggghhh.

add that to my water pump going out on my truck while driving to work, and then getting my truck back last night and running out of gas on the way home, just to finally get there and not be able to take a shower, and that made yesterday the worst so far of this year.

i did get to watch "Running Man" though. that made up for everything bad.
Posted: Jan 9, 2010 11:58 am

I put a skirt around my house made of 4 mil plastic sheeting. It makes a lot of noise and does not seem to make the house any warmer, but who knows.

Did someone advise you to put that there? That's what You typically use as a vapor barrier under concrete slabs to stop the moisture in the soil from coming up where the slab cracks.

They might do it in Louisiana to keep the damp from outside coming in (and getting under your house) however, if you've got a leaky pipe or the water table rises, it's going to get wet in your crawlspace and it's going to trap the moisture. Think about a used ziploc bag that you had something wet in and you left out on your desk on a sunny day -gross. Or wearing a poncho on a wet steamy day -double gross.

Shit probably doesn't insulate for shit.
Posted: Jan 9, 2010 1:18 pm

I've seen it done on other houses around town so thought I'd give it a try. It's temporary. Not much moisture out there right now. I think it does actually keep the crawlspace a few degrees warmer than the outside, which is enough to keep the pipes from freezing.
Posted: Jan 10, 2010 11:28 am

It's temporary.

Oh, I thought you meant when you re-built you did that in the interior of the crawlspace. I guess it probably helps by not letting the air travel in and out (prevents convection but allows conduction).
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 8:44 pm

You folks have some fucked up houses- I have never had a frozen or busted pipe in any of the shitholes I've lived in, nor have I ever done anything to prevent it- clean living, I guess
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®