Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Rowland S. Howard is a Goner
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 1:11 am

Posted: Dec 30, 2009 2:07 am

Damn!
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 2:17 am

he's on a couple of my top 20 records, total bummer,.
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 2:31 am

Me too. He made one downstroke sound like 100 scary movies.
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 3:37 am

RIP with your peers : Nikki Sudden, Epic Soundtracks, Tracy Pew, Jeffrey Lee,... (why are kick nave and the sad beats still alive??)
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 5:11 am | Edited by: T J Honeysuckle

Despite expecting this for a while, this was shockingly bad news today.
Rowland S Howard Loses Battle With Cancer
News posted Wednesday, December 30 2009 at 04:00 PM.
Australia's music scene has lost a true icon with the reported passing of Rowland S Howard today (December 30). While no official statement has been made by management, close friends of the guitarist have confirmed reports that he lost his ongoing battle with liver cancer at Melbourne's Austin Hospital this morning.
Howard, 50, was a former member of the Young Charlatans, The Boys Next Door (who later morphed into The Birthday Party) and These Immortal Souls. He penned 'Shivers', which became an underground hit for The Boys Next Door, and memorably dueted with Lydia Lunch on Lee Hazlewood's 'Some Velvet Morning'.
In 1999, Howard released his debut solo album, Teenage Snuff Film, which quickly became a cult classic. Its long-awaited follow-up Pop Crimes was released in October this year, sparking a run of well-received shows and garnering widespread critical acclaim (it topped M+N's annual Critics Poll earlier this month).
Howard's ongoing battles with liver cancer recently forced the cancellation of several shows including a spot on the Homebake and Summer Tones bills. He played his last gig at The Prince in St Kilda, where it all started, on October 29.
In his final interview with M+N, Howard said he was enjoying the renewed interest in his career. "It's very gratifying," he said. "When I play live, nobody calls out for 'Shivers' any more, because they are too young to have any kind of historical attachment to it ... It's peculiar in a way, it just seemed to happen on its own accord. And it's great, because no longer do I look out from the stage and just see a bunch of ageing ex-junkies."

Some more:
Early 2009 live review
Interview about "Pop Crimes" album, and stuff
"Pop Crimes" review

Final gig review
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 8:59 am

fuck

One of the few that was able to do something "new" with electric guitar.

R.I.P.
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 9:35 am

OH, NO!
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 11:06 am | Edited by: Uptight White

"Roland Around in That Stuff" is my favorite BP song and was the template for much of the late 80's Noise. He had some Memphis recording connections around 1990 in memory serves. RIP.
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 11:16 am

Memphis recording connections around 1990 in memory serves.

Shotgun Wedding (with Lydia Lunch)? was that cut at Easley?

and I will second the heaviness of "Roland Around in That Stuff" (and wasn't that a BBC only/non-LP song, at that?)
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 12:52 pm

This completely sucks. Gtr player for one of the world's great bands.
Too many people passed this year. RIP.
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 1:22 pm

Serious bummer. RIP
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 3:15 pm

Yes it was. The photo of him and Lydia playing pool on the Shotgun Wedding album was taken at the Saturn Bar.

Another underrated musician gone silent.

RIP Roland S. Howard
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 3:17 pm

I played that just last night.
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 3:20 pm

RIP. What a mofo on the guitar.
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 4:38 pm

bummer! he was great.
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 6:52 pm

First musician death in a while that actually hurts. He totally pushed me toward Link Wray before i'd ever heard that stuff. Someone mentioned earlier about how he could make one chord count as much as 100. Total reverb/ Jaguar(or Jazzmaster) abuse. Best hair in the Birthday Party! Early These Immortal Souls records rule. Really sad...
Posted: Jan 2, 2010 1:10 am | Edited by: T J Honeysuckle

Funeral is set for Thursday, at Sacred Heart, in his beloved St Kilda. There will be much love shared, and many tears shed.
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 1:52 am

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 9:18 am | Edited by: eric o

thanks for the post. party pies! RIP.
Posted: Dec 30, 2010 3:37 pm

It looks like there's a documentary in the works:

Here's a great live performance of "Life's What You Make It" (yes, the Talk Talk song):
Posted: Dec 30, 2010 4:59 pm

That looks awesome.
Posted: Jan 8, 2011 1:37 am

Documentary looks great.

Just got sidetracked into youtube hole, listening to that sound & those guitar lines. Jeezus!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®