Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Dec 19, 2009 6:25 pm

Ashamed to admit I liked it. There was some serious Titanic bullshit and ham fisted ploitics/morals and forced sentimentality but mostly is was a sick looking carnival ride for sci-fi-fantasy nerds (allo) and it looked real as hell
Posted: Dec 19, 2009 6:34 pm

loved it! and i saw it in 3D.
Posted: Dec 21, 2009 8:52 am

I saw it in 3D too....Sigourney Weaver as an avatar gave me a boner sort of.
Posted: Dec 21, 2009 9:36 am

I thought it was a visual masterpiece. I think it's a cinematic game changer.
Posted: Dec 21, 2009 10:56 am

I thought it was a visual masterpiece. I think it's a cinematic game changer.

Are you reading from the pre-release?

I'm considering going to see this while my fucked-up family takes over my house.
Posted: Dec 21, 2009 1:00 pm

Saw it in 3D & got kinda nauseous ... although that coulda been my hangover.
Posted: Dec 21, 2009 2:38 pm

i cried because of the True Love love story in it. and it's goofy animation!
Posted: Dec 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Watching rebel civilian Americans kicking the shit out of the arrogant military industrial complex was refreshing. Finally an American movie in the Post 911 world that doesn't suck the ass of the troops. About time!
Posted: Dec 21, 2009 8:02 pm

I hate space.
Posted: Dec 21, 2009 8:25 pm

I pretty much agree with everything posted so far...

Yes, we've seen this movie before. It's Dances with Wolves, Last Samurai, and every other movie where the white guy learns the ways of the indigenous culture and becomes better at them at their own shit.

I'm a bit sick of that plot, by the way.

Visually, I couldn't believe my eyes; it was well worth every penny. Don't not see this one in 3-D.

Weaver was okay, but Zoe Saldana is a true goddess.
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 10:22 am

Yes, we've seen this movie before. It's Dances with Wolves, Last Samurai, and every other movie where the white guy learns the ways of the indigenous culture and becomes better at them at their own shit.

Is this what you mean?

http://failblog.org/2010/01/10/avatar-plot-fail/
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 10:52 am

is it really unobtanium?

if so, i'm out.
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 3:33 am

yup
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 12:28 pm

A budget of $500 million and that's all they could come up with?
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 10:03 pm

Next time spend some of that money on a good story. Seriously.
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 1:54 am

unobtanium?

what does that mean?
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 3:04 am

'the fuck are y'all talking about???

(crawls back under rock)
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 4:34 am

Is this what you mean?

No this is what he means!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The Messiah Complex "
you like the quotes there Tommy?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/08/opinion/08brooks.html
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 8:28 am

Wow!!
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 8:42 am

Posted: Jan 13, 2010 12:38 pm

unobtanium?

what does that mean?

"Unobtainium" is an old joke among engineers and science fiction writers. When the science fiction writer says he wrote a story about an airliner that will go 5 times the speed of sound, the engineer replies "That would be nice, but if you're going that fast, the thing will heat up to thousands of degrees and melt the skin! What are you going to make it out of?"

The sci fi writer says "Unobtanium". Basically, it's a way to hand-wave away all of the technical problems by saying "we'll find some magical new material that will do what we need it to do. Meanwhile, let's get on with the story!" See also adamantium and corbomite.

As for the movie, I thought it was great. It's a technical masterpiece. If you want to see it, you've got to see it in 3D. Cameron uses the medium very subtly, and does things I've never seen before. It may prove to be The Jazz Singer. And if you're going to bitch about his writing, start with the inherent grandfather paradox in The Terminator.
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 1:07 pm

I watched the most recent Terminator movie after seeing Avatar again a few weeks ago...then I went to bed and had nightmares about apocalypse shit.
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 1:57 pm

When the aliens arrive, they will not be humanoid.
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 2:26 pm

Be careful

"This is an insult to the trully depressed."

I could say similar things about most of pop culture. Like when Beyonce didn't win her Video Music Award -an insult to the trully talented!
Posted: Jan 15, 2010 11:29 am

I thought the Floating Mountains was a pretty cool visual. It just goes to prove once more it takes a white man to beat a bunch of white men.
Posted: Jan 15, 2010 12:26 pm

I would say that Beyonce makes me the OPPOSITE of depressed.
Posted: Jan 17, 2010 1:16 pm

If you want to see it, you've got to see it in 3D. Cameron uses the medium very subtly, and does things I've never seen before.

I agree. However, I am a little biased because my brother-in-law did some of the animation for this movie. You're right that he does things with 3D that are really unique.

Most of the 3D stuff I've seen is really gimmicky, where debris and stuff just flies at you or something. This is different. He really made stuff look, well, just REAL. That first scene inside the space ship is amazing, it has real depth like you're looking at this really expansive room. Cool stuff.
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 2:01 am

saw it tonight.

HATED IT.
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 2:06 pm

I would say that Beyonce makes me the OPPOSITE of depressed.
You could hire her for your next party
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 8:29 pm

Dood, I'm totally saving up the royalties from my illustrious music career. Memphis Babylon don't fail me now!!!
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 9:16 pm

"Avatar is one giant 3d turd; suspension of disbelief only works when there is a story. I would have been better off if I taped two beer bottles to my head and watched Alf all afternoon."

-Bobby Anderson

Best review of Avatar I've read.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®