Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / traveling to cuba?
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 1:44 pm

long story short - i know a lot about the ins & outs of doing so, but i have a couple practical questions i'd like to ask offline.

not for me, of course. i'd never travel to cuba *cough*.....

but, if anyone has & wants to talk, there's a couple questions i'm having a hard time getting answered.
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 1:53 pm

Frank Discussion of the Feederz has been there. You should fire him an email.
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 1:56 pm

commie
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 2:05 pm

cuba's beauty cannot be matched.
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 3:58 pm

I was there in the 90's --- went thru Cancun.
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 6:29 pm

I've been there, but I'm not American, so I don't know how much that'll help you ... fire away tho.
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 8:49 am

here's the main question --

can my friend - we'll call him Pestol Piz - easily get tix from cancun to havana for the same day/next day without first buying them or making reservations?
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 9:10 am

I know two people who have been to Cuba...one had a job smuggling illegal immigrants into the U.S....they had a fast boat and would pick them up under the shroud of night. He wrote a book about the experience, and I once told him he should turn it into a graphic novel, too which he took serious offence. I can't help it if he writes on a sixth grade level.

The other person was a girl I knew in high shool who's family were rich political fascists in Cuba and 2 members of her family were personaly killed by Che. She hated Fidel; dumb cunt. But she got in through Cancun to visit the country of her ancestors.

I'd like to visit Cuba when they release it from the trade embargo to buy music gear or an old Plymouth and to get some of those over-hyped cigars. In fact if you want to send me some cigars, we could work out a deal...I am a fair man.
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 10:08 am

I know two people who went, they both said it's a lot easier than you would think.
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 10:50 am

Buy as many cigars as you can out there. They're fucking great. Also, go diving if you can off the Bay of Pigs; that's pretty much the best diving I've ever done, so beautiful.
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 11:26 am

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 11:28 am

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 11:37 am

** You can enter Mexico and re-enter the US using only a certified copy of your birth certificate and a government issued photo id, such as a driver's license (BC/DL) In other words you do not have to show US Immigration your passport upon re-entry to the US. Probably half or more of US tourists who travel to Cancun use this alternate form of identification as their travel documents.

im going to mexico in february. do i really not have to get a passport? would like to save that money right now.
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 11:44 am

thanks for the effort, donkey.

(actually i, er uh - pestol piz - used to work at one of the organizations mentioned that helped/helps those who get in trouble for traveling to cuba so he's extremely familiar with much of the practical "if you get in trouble/how to avoid trouble"-type advice).

but, one of the big pains is not being able to reserve and/or pay for cancun to havana tix on an american credit card. so that's why the question about ease of getting tix upon arriving in cancun.
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 11:54 am

my friend - we'll call him Pestol Piz - easily get tix from cancun to havana for the same day/next

it depends when you want to go. there's loads of travel agencies in Cancun who do weekends in Havana and advertise it.
we had been there and resolved to go to Cuba the following year. I got the name of a travel agency somehow (i think the Cancun chamber of commerce), called them on the phone and arranged the date. then the guy came out to the Cancun airport and delivered the tickets and vouchers. Note: you'll need some spanish to do this.

You could arrive in Cancun, go into town, look for a travel agent, and see how soon you could go. Downside is you might get stuck in Cancun for a few nights, or it may be impossible. Then you can just go to Isla Mujeres or Tulum instead, or even Merida, which is a nice town.

another way to do it is book thru Canada, but most of their packages go to Veradero, a resort peninsula pretty much full of foreigners and no Cubans.

bring loads of dollars, cash. no other way to get money in Cuba. buy a good guidebook so you can find the good paladares (private restaurants) 'cause the food in the hotels/state restaurants is the worst I have ever eaten.
Cubans are great people pero hombre! difficult to understand their spanish - weird accent and really weird slang they all use. buen viaje!
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 12:04 pm | Edited by: roche

When I went, there was only ONE flight via Toronto each day ... ONE (learned that the hard way - leaving Cuba on stand-by was a nightmare) ... it looks like they have a few flights down to Varadero, Cayo Coco & Sta Clara now ... not sure where you are located or if that would make things easier for ya.
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 12:05 pm

can my friend - we'll call him Pestol Piz - easily get tix from cancun to havana for the same day/next day without first buying them or making reservations?

It is not illegal for Americans to visit Cuba so you have nothing to worry about. Our government just wants you to believe it's illegal. It is, however, illegal to spend Dollars in Cuba. You can get a flight same or next day. I believe you can still fly from Jamaica as well. CubaJet used to have really good deals out of Cancun. Make sure you visit El Oriente, it's the real soul of Cuba. And make sure you purchase everything with cash. You want to avoid any kind of paper trail (reciepts, brochures, etc.). This will save you a lot of questioning and headache on your return.

Good Luck.
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 12:11 pm

bring loads of dollars, cash. no other way to get money in Cuba. buy a good guidebook so you can find the good paladares (private restaurants) 'cause the food in the hotels/state restaurants is the worst I have ever eaten.

Dually noted on both counts ... bring cash (can't remember is they even took US funds) ... no where we found in Varadero took Visa & all three bank machines in the whole town were fucked. We found an agency that would get money wired to you for a 30% cut!

Didn't really try the traditional Cuban fare, but the 'regular' food was absolutely disgusting ...
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 2:31 pm

Bring lots of $1.00 notes
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 2:32 pm

also, don't buy cigars on the street, go to an official store. the street ones are fakes.
when we were there the number of Europeans (esp. Italians) whoring was incredible. believe they've cracked down on the sex trade however.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®