Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Steve Albini, thwarted Santa Claus. Boo USPS.
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 8:28 am

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-sun-problem-1206-dec 06,0,7873762,full.column

Every Christmas, Steve Albini and his wife pack a rented van with clothing, cash and toys, then set out on a journey that would make even Santa Claus jealous.

Using funds raised at an annual Second City charity event, the couple distributes more than $100,000 worth of holiday cheer between about a dozen Chicago-area families -- down-on-their-luck households teetering on the brink of financial ruin.

The donations are, for some families, a life-altering event.

"There's so much money that it can literally save a family's entire year," said Albini, a Chicago musician and recording studio owner who has worked with numerous groups, including Nirvana, the Pixies and Jesus Lizard.

But a policy change by the U.S. Postal Service has Albini looking for new ways to make his makeshift sleigh fly this holiday season. Citing privacy concerns, the Postal Service altered its Letters to Santa program late last year. Instead of providing unedited letters to potential donors, postal workers now black out the names, addresses and phone numbers of people who write to Santa asking for help.

------------
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 8:32 am

(via Henry Owings)
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 9:13 am

dang, what a nice guy! hope the usps finds a way to quit fuckin that up.
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 9:13 am

ps steve, i'm kinda poor. please send help.
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 10:15 am

gosh, that is so wonderful that they do that. what a huge amount of money.

Another act of loving kindness, Fucked Up and some friends have recorded a benefit song:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/do-they-know-its-christmas-feat/id345 126169
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 10:50 am

I saw Shellac only weeks ago...they did a benefit show for Jason Noble of Rodan....Shellac kept taking breaks to read off raffle tickets....it was the most annoying thing.
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 11:40 am

Yule Log Bass.
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 11:49 am

yeah, i read about this last year. apparently a sex offender showed up at some kid's door bearing gifts after getting his name and address from the cpo.
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 12:08 pm

what happened to jason?
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 12:14 pm

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 12:54 pm

Steve King of all Assholes is no longer my hero. Helping the poor? Voodoo economics all the way
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 1:37 pm

Steve "Robin Hood" Albini.Helping the poor?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®