Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / stoner rock.
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 5:35 pm

man. i'm listening to these dudes called earthless right now. i usually can't stand this shit, but for some reason it hit right today.
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 5:38 pm

Hey Joey, 2004 called. They want their trend back.
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 5:42 pm

I should never have put out Spine Of God.
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 5:52 pm

Hey Joey, 2004 called. They want their trend back.
gimme a break. i live in the land trends forgot
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 6:04 pm

tell that to your sweatpants.
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 6:08 pm

i took a break from those. i'm wearing jeans today. clean ones.
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 6:21 pm

clean jeans suck! get some skidmarks.
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 6:51 pm

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 6:56 pm

farflung. electric wizard. pretty great shit. psych metal? stoner rock? stoner doom? sludge metal? I don't know whatcha call all this, but a co-worker of mine spins it constantly and I've been getting turned on to some shit. I've actually been digging Sunn((O quite a bit as ambient office background music lately too.
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 7:48 pm

Kyuss were gods
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 8:10 pm

gods of boring.
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 9:54 pm

electric wizard! do any of their LPs stay in print longer than 24 hours, though? even re-issues of re-issues seem to be long gone any time i happen to hunt for them.
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 10:03 pm

i'm listening to these dudes called earthless right now.

you'd probably like WITCH as well.
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 10:06 pm

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 11:03 pm

dude, learn to like for yourself, kyuss, qotsa, eagles of death metal. don't limit yourself, you gotta be free.
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 11:47 pm

yeah, i knew about witch from king tuff.
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 11:59 pm

dude, learn to like for yourself, kyuss, qotsa, eagles of death metal. don't limit yourself, you gotta be free.
amen. Regular John is a bad ass jam.
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 9:18 am

Earthless drummer is great. So is Red Fangs.
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 10:44 am

i dig some of that red fang shit
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 11:01 am

What you're finaly sick of music by effeminate boys with quirky senses of humor? Not me man...not me.
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 11:21 am

Does Goblin count? I know they were considered more prog, but if Goblin was stoner rock then I like it, if not I hate it.
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 11:24 am

Oh yeah, I like red fang and saviours too
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 4:48 pm

yeah, i knew about witch from king tuff

get brant bjork's "jalamanta". its pretty damn stony.
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 4:49 pm

Does Goblin count? I know they were considered more prog

DON'T GET ME STARTED!: http://glowingraw.blogspot.com/?zx=6e6fe2c5677edf9c
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 8:52 pm

i dig some of that red fang shit

as you should. check out pre-Red Fang band, Party Time. so fucking rad.
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 10:49 pm

Quit fiddle-fucking around and listen to Flipper.
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 12:58 pm

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 3:16 pm

I should never have put out Spine Of God.

Even noise rockers liked that when it came out. Fu Manchu are more Hesher hard rock revivalists than psychedelic stoners, but their early records rule. Also check out SLEEP.
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 4:04 pm

Fu Manchu

I loved 'em when I saw 'em, but I'm Hessian to the core.
Just went to check out what they been up to and they gotta record called Beach Blanket Bongout. I can only assume that what they're up to is JFA covers!!!????
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 6:03 pm

Also check out SLEEP.
at this point if you haven't heard them then you've missed the boat. sleep ARE awesome but thats like: its 2009, you're in your 40s and someone FINALLY says, "hey, check out black sabbath".
that said, HIGH ON FIRE are great, even if they are a chick band...
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 6:43 pm

i wasn't really into high on fire. i did an earthless pandora station and i heard tracks by most of these bands. sleep from what i remember was ok.
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 8:15 pm

Om slays High On Fire....proves that Al Cisneros was the genius in Sleep, not Matt Pike...Matt Pike is kinda a hamfisted one trick pony. The only good High On Fire record is their first S/T EP while all of the Om records are great.
Posted: Dec 15, 2009 12:31 pm

High On Fire slays Om....proves that Matt Pike was the genius in Sleep, not Al Cisneros...Al Cisneros is kinda a hamfisted one trick pony. The only good Om record is their first S/T EP while all of the High On Fire records are great.

Cmon dude--Pike is heir to Iommi's riff throne.

-Ryan
Posted: Dec 15, 2009 1:16 pm

Posted: Dec 16, 2009 8:57 am | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

Cmon dude--Pike is heir to Iommi's riff throne.

-Ryan

uhhhh...no fuckin way. Dude has only ONE solo and only ONE way to enter said solo, thats it...its cool, but after a dozen years, yawn. The Om records are infinitely more interesting

riff-wise, this sounds like EVERY High on Fire riff and came out 37 years ago:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4774441-524
Posted: Dec 16, 2009 10:17 am

Abdullah -s/t LP came out nine years ago, a masterpiece more in the doom than stoner vein. Meteor City records...essential.

Agree with the Matt Pike one trick pony thing. A lot like Stephen O' Malley. I like both of those guys but how many times can you recycle the same old dirge riffs?

Sons of Otis-Templeball, another stoned bluesy Godzilla stomp on your head. Highly recommended.

But the one that started it all Monstermagnet-Spine of God.
Posted: Dec 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Dude has only ONE solo and only ONE way to enter said solo, thats it...its cool, but after a dozen years, yawn.

i think its pretty hilarious. matt pike's a guitar players party dude. what more you want from the guy? his leads, meh, not so great BUT you know exactly where they're going (nowhere) and what they'll sound like (like a turd hitting toilet water). as far as his riffs go i think they're pretty damn good.
Posted: Dec 16, 2009 9:25 pm

I bought the last HoF because I'd been caught sleeping on Blessed Black Wings... I wish I woulda kept on nappin.
Posted: Dec 16, 2009 9:32 pm

is tsot opening for nick o when he plays high tone?
Posted: Dec 16, 2009 9:39 pm

we are riffers now.
Posted: Dec 17, 2009 4:05 pm

I bought the last HoF because I'd been caught sleeping on Blessed Black Wings... I wish I woulda kept on nappin.

on "the art of self defense" they do a good cover of celtic frost "the usurper"
Posted: Dec 17, 2009 4:14 pm

aw fuck it, just listen to AGONY COLUMN
Posted: Dec 17, 2009 5:34 pm

aw fuck it, just listen to DURUTTI COLUMN
Posted: Dec 22, 2009 10:00 am

at this point if you haven't heard them then you've missed the boat.

Good music holds up, but if someone is asking about Stoner rock in 09' they realize that most of the fleet left port over a decade ago.
Posted: Dec 22, 2009 12:08 pm

man. i'm listening to these dudes called earthless right now.

They do a great cover of the Groundhogs "Cherry Red". Pretty cool band, mostthey are more into a 60's vibe than most of the stoner rawk stuff. Stoner Rock is about as much of a catch-all as Garage Rock, some of its good, but most is crap, just like most other genres.

aw fuck it, just listen to AGONY COLUMN
Awesome fucking band, you had to be there for it to make sense. Wouldn't call it stoner rock, though. Arman, have you heard Stewart's new(er) band?

http://www.myspace.com/ignitor
Posted: Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Wouldn't call it stoner rock, though.

that was my point.
Posted: Dec 24, 2009 9:58 pm

Earth vs. Earthless
Posted: Dec 24, 2009 10:00 pm

One word: Wino
Posted: Dec 24, 2009 10:01 pm

The Heads (UK) have always stood out above the rest too.
Posted: Dec 25, 2009 3:13 am

st vitus pre Wino was better
Posted: Dec 28, 2009 3:50 pm

Red Fang again melted faces on Sat. Witch Mountain slays with new female vocalist.

Listen to Pentagram. Also Naam, Mos Generator and Sun Gods in Exile
Posted: Dec 28, 2009 5:45 pm

Naam

we played with those dudes a few weeks ago. they were really good (channeling DUST) and had more balls than early man and priestess to actually brave the snow and shitty weather from minneapolis to chicago....and priestess are from fucking montreal!!!!
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 9:02 am

somehow, i managed to miss the new goatwhore record till this week. not "stoner" at all. but it made me say "like, woah!!!"

Posted: Dec 30, 2009 9:30 am

The 70s stuff is way better....Yesterday's Children, Primeval, Josefus, Poobah, Leafhound, Rog and Pip, Tractor, Incredible Hog...etc...dozens of bands...
Posted: Jan 24, 2010 2:33 pm

Fuck all your poser stoner bands!

SLEEP Reunion this year!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®