Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / USB turntables
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 11:57 am

Anyone bought one? Are there any decent ones out there that are relatively inexpensive?
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 12:22 pm

I got an ion usb turntable fairly cheap on Woot.com ($60 or so?). It's not a total piece of junk. I upgraded the shell & cartridge to some Stanton stuff, and it's decent. Does what I need it to do, which is make mp3s of vinyl without having to run an impossibly long cable from my hi-fi to my computer machine.
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 1:06 pm

i would compare speeds on your ION with cd versions or a different turntable. i got one as a wedding gift and after recording dozens of LPs and 7"s to iTunes, realized the fucking thing plays fast. Like NOTICEABLY faster, a whole note higher.. What a piece of shit!!
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 2:24 pm

i have an ion turntable and i really wasn't overly impressed with it. mostly because the cartridge and needle were so super shoddy. i barely touched the thing when i was trying to figure out what was wrong with it one night (after only having ripped a few records altogether), and the needle broke completely off. (mind you, i've handled quite a bit of equipment and have NEVER broken a needle EVER before. needless to say, i was pretty pissed as i hadn't really used it all that much.) replacement cartridges/needles are 30 bucks too, which is stupid because i bought the damn thing for around 60 dollars. good to know that you can replace the cartridges with another brand. i'll have to do that.

i never noticed the speed difference. mine really doesn't sound any different, so maybe yours was just messed up, dustymed.
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 2:28 pm

Yeah if mine has any speed differences, they're not overtly notable.

I replaced the shell & cartridge 'cause I had an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket at the time, so paying money to upgrade it didn't bother me that much. I think the tracking and sound quality are improved a great deal after those changes, but let's face it, this isn't meant to be some audiophile shit.
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 3:52 pm

Never, ever, ever in your life should you buy a USB turntable or one of those shitty all-in-one turntable,cd,radio, burner things that looks like an old console. They are complete shit made for folks who don't know any better. Buy a decent turntable with an even better needle (if you don't already) and spend the money you were gonna use on a cheaply made USB turd on a sound card.
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 5:26 pm

I don't even know what a "sound card" is. We have this iMic BS but it can be a total pain in the ass. I was just hopeful there was an easier way since we bought that thing.
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 5:40 pm

I know a really good one but I'm not giving you any more free advice.
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 6:04 pm

i've handled quite a bit of equipment

Ha ha!
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 7:56 pm

i've handled quite a bit of equipment

Ha ha!

Ha Ha
ha Ha!
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 9:55 pm

I'm just saying you may want to check the speed before ripping dozens and dozens of records. It's not something you'll necessarily notice if you don't do the comparison, but when I discovered it I was fucking pissed! Mostly because in comparison the faster speed DOES sound fast. And what Buck said, they are just kind of poorly put together and cheaply made. I don't really know what I was thinking even putting it on my wedding registry, I've already had a turntable hooked up into my sound card for years, but we couldn't come up with a lot of great stuff to put on the registry so we said fuck it. I never even ran the thing through the USB like it was designed, I just plugged it into my mixer like my old turntable. You would think that something that is advertised as an archival tool would actually be made with some quality, and well... i don't know, call me crazy but to me if you're "archiving" music shouldn't it be at the right speed?
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 9:55 pm

You're an archival tool.
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 10:44 pm

You should get one of these, take that bitch apart and modify it to get it to play right.
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 11:07 pm | Edited by: elle

you're right, dusty, but i didn't compare. the stuff that i recorded wasn't really overly stellarly recorded to begin with. so my points of comparison were kinda whatever. it doesn't sound terrible but i think you're right i probably SHOULD check it.

my ipod is about a piece of shit anyway. i give it a year before it goes kaput and dies.

same with my dumb computer.

i have a decent turntable. and a decent needle. but no knowledge of how to hook what up to anything besides speakers/amp. pls halp?

and scott and rumple - dammit i so walked right into that. :P
Posted: Nov 29, 2009 12:25 pm

I had one but ended up giving to the school because it was pretty weak quality. I prefer my stand alone CD burner. Just the straight sound from my regular turntable through the receiver and into the burner itself. Just like using a cassette deck for the most part (and it archives at the right speed). Once the disc is burned you can do any of that pop & crackle removing, track splitting (if you didn't already when doing the initial burn) etc with any generic computer audio program. It sounds a hell of a lot better, warmer and not as processed as the USB turntable into a computer burns I've heard.
Posted: Nov 29, 2009 1:37 pm

i have a decent turntable. and a decent needle. but no knowledge of how to hook what up to anything besides speakers/amp. pls halp?

if your mixer has the phone jacks and a tape-out jack, you can can use one of these cheap cords. hook the rca half into the tape-out jacks and then the other side just goes into your line-in or microphone jack on your computer. you should be able to use whatever audio program came with your usb turntable to record...

i recently got a usb turntable as a gift. it does sound a bit fast. the needle that came with it really digs into the vinyl, too. that definitly needs to be replaced...
Posted: Dec 2, 2009 11:03 am

usb turntables

SUCK BALLS

Wanna make some good digi copies of your recs? I have a sansui hi-fi receiver and analog-digi direct disk burner--- for 5 bucks a record i can make you copies that will sound really good. Just email me. Save plays on your vintage records !

chuckvicious at gmail dot com
Posted: Dec 2, 2009 4:07 pm | Edited by: Jesse Garon

the problem I had with digitizing vinyl was issues with the mic/line in on my laptop.

I bought an external "sound card" from Edirol (which I don't think is still made) which has RCA plug two channel (stereo) inputs and outputs and goes down to a USB connector. thereby avoiding the laptop problems.

then I used Cakewalk Pyro to tweak the digital files if necessary.

then my laptop died, I lost the Cakewalk software and it needs a patch to be reinstalled, so I'm back to zero. cannot digitize vinyl! I did buy some software called "Play It Again" or "Spin It Again" but it's nowhere near as good as the Cakewalk Pyro was. Easy to use however.
Posted: Dec 2, 2009 4:29 pm

Posted: Dec 2, 2009 4:34 pm

Digitizing vinyl is stupid.
Posted: Dec 2, 2009 4:43 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

Digitizing vinyl is stupid.

yeah, because it is stupid to listen to music in the car or make mix CDs for your friends

but if you dont have a car or friends, I guess it would be a waste of time
Posted: Dec 2, 2009 4:49 pm

Yep, it's the convenience factor. Not any different from making cassettes back in the olden tymes.
Posted: Dec 2, 2009 5:15 pm

I disagree. the USB connector (that Donkey points out) makes some crystal clear CDs, much better quality than a cassette tape.

I digitized The Rationals lp (STILL unavailable) using a new cartridge/stylus, the external soundcard and Pyro. Somebody told me it sounded like it came from master tapes.

Granted, digital will never sound as "warm' as other media, because it's a cut-off number, not an endless vibration.
Posted: Dec 2, 2009 5:18 pm

Vionel Ritchie is stupid.
Posted: Dec 2, 2009 7:01 pm

Donkey's right, the key here is the phono preamp, plugging an ordinary turntable into the soundcard input will not sound right because it is a line in, not phono in. Has something to do with the RIAA EQ curve present on a phono preamp.
Posted: Dec 2, 2009 8:29 pm

I've compared a few proper digitizations of good vinyl with the CD remasters available, and found the vinyl digitizations to have a superior sound quality. More to my liking, anyway. I don't do any pop or hiss removal, because most of my records don't exhibit any of that, I just do a straight rip using LAME encoding.
Posted: Dec 2, 2009 8:58 pm

Wanna make some good digi copies of your recs? I have a sansui hi-fi receiver and analog-digi direct disk burner

I got a Sony one but THIS is the way to go. To hell with those janky USB turntables and adding more clutter around the computer workspace when a stand alone CD burner is the way to go.
Posted: Dec 3, 2009 1:00 pm

plugging an ordinary turntable into the soundcard input will not sound right because it is a line in, not phono in.

I use a headphone plug out of the headphone jack on my receiver, adapting to the two RCA plugs into the USB soundcard/connector. This does give you another way of tweaking your output, by using the receiver's tone/balance/loudness controls, if you want.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®