Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / If you had a free $25 iTunes gift card...
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 9:26 am

...what would you get?

I need some music I can play at work and that'll keep the energy level at a moderate-to-upbeat pace. I've discovered that instrumental music isn't a good idea...vocals, please. I am not averse to classic rock or soul comps either.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 10:55 am

Slayer.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 11:18 am

Do you ever come up with any ideas on your own? You must be the biggest drag in the world to live with. Lucky whatever your husband's name is!
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 11:29 am

No better work tunes than Talking Heads. I don't have iTunes on any computers ATM, but assuming they have 'em and assuming albums are still 10 bones, I'd just keep it simple and get 77 and Speaking In Tongues. That should leave you with $5 to blow on some Prince cuts:

"I Feel For You"
"I wanna be your Lover"
"Darling Nikki"
"When Doves Cry"
"Let's Go Crazy"
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 11:32 am

talking heads and prince fucking suck.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 11:38 am

throw it away/burn it...then just download whatever you want from soulseek
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 11:48 am

Another idea is to pick long songs to get your money's worth. There was this one bar that had a ripoff jukebox - fifty cents a song, so I'd always go for "Inna Gotta da vita" or however it's spelled.

Other choices:
"Machine Gun"
"Rime of the Ancient Mariner"
"Tarot Plane"
"Mirror Man"
"Smokestack Lightnin" (the Dead's version)
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 12:33 pm

Excellent choice. This guy did a pretty worthy cover!
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 1:44 pm

sly and the family stone woodstock experience
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 7:43 pm

"big balls and the great white idiot"
first 2 albums.

itunes classic, digital via vinyl.

pop pop pop..............
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 8:18 pm

in chicago: i would sell it to the currency exchange and take the cash. you'd get $23 cold hard cash.
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 12:10 am

Shuggie Otis
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 12:12 am

Wait a minute, did someone just say that Prince sucks?
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 3:53 am

Posted: Nov 4, 2009, 11:48 am    Quote
Another idea is to pick long songs to get your money's worth. There was this one bar that had a ripoff jukebox - fifty cents a song, so I'd always go for "Inna Gotta da vita" or however it's spelled.

Other choices:
"Machine Gun"
"Tarot Plane"
"Mirror Man"
"Smokestack Lightnin" (the Dead's version)

"Marquee Moon"!
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 7:12 am

in chicago: i would sell it to the currency exchange and take the cash.

In Memphis, you could sell it at the Citgo parking lot... Or maybe the Starbucks parking lot.
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 7:13 am | Edited by: Scott

I don't know about work. Any good music has always gotten me through, but I've noticed in the past few years that when I'm driving on a long trip and the drowsiness sets in, nothing perks me up like Honkey Tonk.
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 10:06 am | Edited by: Stephanie

i've been listening to The Sadies In Concert V1 every day at work since i got it. like a modern day Last Waltz. It's so great.

and DWIGHT YOAKAM.
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 10:49 am

and DWIGHT YOAKAM.

He was great in Crank 2.
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 10:53 am

and DWIGHT YOAKAM.

He was great in Crank 2.

Doc Miles
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 11:13 am

Do you ever come up with any ideas on your own?

Sure, asshole. But, unlike you, I like to hear what other people have to suggest rather than just listen to myself pontificate all day long. You're old enough where you should have already figured out that the concept of a "know it all" is the real drag to have to be around.
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 12:59 pm

Do you ever come up with any ideas on your own? You must be the biggest drag in the world to live with. Lucky whatever your husband's name is!

Not a drag at all Sir. What's a real drag though is your constant berating of people in every thread you seem to open. But whatever makes you feel better about your pathetic existence. I realize, in your mind, that you're some sort of important figure in the "scene." Funny that you can't see that your consistent "trolling" on this board proves that, deep down, you're just another washed up rocker who seems to be in constant need of attention. Why else come on here and trash everyone at every opportunity? Go ahead and flame on though. I and almost everyone else on the Board see your insecurities just about everyday and it's almost enough to make us feel a little sorry for your utter lack of self esteem.
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 1:57 pm

If I had a free $25 iTunes gift card, I'd re-gift it.
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 3:11 pm

If I had a free $25 iTunes gift card, I'd re-gift it.

I'm too much of a selfish bitch for that.

talking heads and prince fucking suck

Never liked Talking Heads but Prince certainly does NOT suck. I already have the Hits and B-Sides and that is played out at this point. "Prince sucks": HahahaHAHA. Speaking of, "1999" is one hilarious song.
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 3:45 pm

Wait, the guy with the most annoying wife ever is claiming to speak for everybody and is an armchair psychologist? (I can see why she chose you with that amazing personality!)
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 6:10 pm

Swap that card for a shortwave radio. Way more fun
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 7:22 pm

prince < queen.
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 9:19 pm

^ big Paul Rogers fan?
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 9:35 am

prince<queen<king diamond
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 10:08 am

prince < queen

Hmmm. My initial response would be "apples & oranges", but they sort of aren't. I'll go with, on an overall basis, given Freddie is dead and unable to suck like Prince has from time to time since the late 80's: prince=queen.

So, maybe I'll get some Queen for the old iPhone/Pod.
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 10:13 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I usually only like ye olde Queen songs, but "I Want It All" came on the radio at work yesterday and it ruled! - in a Bon Jovi, but better, kinda way
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 11:27 am

i love prince...............

buster
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 12:17 pm

Music for work?

Doobie Brothers.
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 12:22 pm

Stax comps are really good for working. The best Stax stuff for work (in my humble opinion) is Booker T. and the MGs. I know it's instrumental, but I find the organ usually makes up for the lack of vocals in terms of melody. That's what I'm rockin' right now at my desk!

Also, Prince rules. I'm a little obsessed with him, really. I went as Purple Rain opening scene Prince for Halloween! I listen to Prince at work a lot, but only on my office-mate's days off, since he tends to be NSFW... "Erotic City" ups my productivity but is highly inappropriate for the office.

I don't know much about Queen besides the big hits. I love theatrical music and falsetto vocals, however... where is a good place to start with Queen?
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 12:32 pm | Edited by: jerryd

nothing perks me up like Honkey Tonk.

i would say you can never go wrong with Waylon Jennings.

i've been listening to The Sadies In Concert V1 every day at work since i got it

Have you heard Country Club with The Sadies and John Doe?

Pretty amazing.

And you cant go wrong with Dire Straits. Great music to work to.
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 12:35 pm

you cant go wrong with Dire Straits

isn't that what that shrink at Fort Hood was listening to?
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 12:37 pm

I totally second the Stax comps. I was thinking about recommending the Top of the Stax comp, but I figured you already had it.

I also like the Jam, the Clash, and Replacements when I'm toiling in my classroom when I'm not reading and there are no students in the room.

Those Getz/Gilberto records are pretty great, and I like reggae a lot, too.

Those Rhino DIY comps are good, too.
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 12:46 pm

you cant go wrong with Dire Straits

I can only handle the first three records on a regular basis. Great for driving, pretty good for working.
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 1:19 pm

Also, Prince rules. I'm a little obsessed with him, really. I went as Purple Rain opening scene Prince for Halloween! I listen to Prince at work a lot, but only on my office-mate's days off, since he tends to be NSFW... "Erotic City" ups my productivity but is highly inappropriate for the office.

Wow. I am impressed like all get out by that Halloween idea. Maybe I will go as Morris Day next year and Ryan can be Jerome...who wants to be the girl I throw into the alley dumpster?

I listen to Prince all the time, if only to watch our sassy receptionist, Lorraine, shake her ass and sing "Do Me Baby" up & down the hallways.

I'd hang myself if I had to listen to Dire Straits in that place. Or any place.
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 2:16 pm

Wait, the guy with the most annoying wife ever is claiming to speak for everybody and is an armchair psychologist? (I can see why she chose you with that amazing personality!)

I read this whole thread to see what someone would say to this, but nothing happened. At least yet.
While wholly irritating, Ned does provide nice fodder for rhetort.

And, work tunes....Steely Dan
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 2:25 pm

You know I speak the truth.
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 2:38 pm

Steely Dan

noooooooooooooooooooooo....do you know how many times i've almost started a "someone please explain steely dan to me" thread? figured it wasn't worth it. WORST.

Have you heard Country Club with The Sadies and John Doe?

i haven't! I will!
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 4:28 pm

While wholly irritating, Ned does provide nice fodder for rhetort. [i][/i]

Of course the drag wife and her ever-suffering husband "rhetorted", but even that was a drag, because really it is pretty sad that such innocuous requests can provoke The Ned. It is much more interesting to hear about Crystal Lake's Prince costume and the fact that some people find Prince to suck.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®