Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / City of New Orleans
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 1:21 am

Anyone down there wanna cruz up to Memphis in November, Amtrak has a special right now: $37.50 NOLA-MEM. FYI

http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 7:12 am

I'm going down and coming back around the 24th. That's a preety sweet deal!

Going to get my ticket today.
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 7:49 am

E&J - come for thanksgiving.
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 10:56 am

now they're offering same price for the way down:
http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak/weeklyspecials

you gots to select the one from Centralia, IL, to NOLA but change the city to MEM (unless you're in Centralia!)

$75 RT. limited days in NOV
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 11:00 am

If only it were a high speed train... or at least as fast as a car.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 12:24 pm

Memphis to NOLA in a car, doing a few miles over the speed limit and stopping once for gas takes 5.5-6 hours.
We have made it in under five, but we were doing Mach 1.
The train took just over 7 hours the times I was on it.
And, we all know the ride back with a gigantor hangover makes the trip longer when driving. Stop to eat more, maybe puke, purge the guts through the dunghole, etc.
On a train, still just over 7 hours.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 12:30 pm | Edited by: bruce

Departs: 6:50 AM
Thu Nov 05 2009
Memphis, TN (MEM)
Station News Arrives: 3:32 PM
Thu Nov 05 2009
New Orleans, LA (NOL) New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
(NOL)

closer to 9 hours
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 12:40 pm

Who would ever wanna go to New Orleans? Worst town ever.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 1:41 pm

Who would ever wanna go to New Orleans? Worst town ever.

yawn.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 2:11 pm

closer to 9 hours

I know what the train schedule says, but the times I have been on that very train it has taken around 7.5 hours. I am not kidding.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 2:46 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

closer to 9 hours

yep, and that's if it runs on time. just about every time I've taken it or picked people up from the station it's been late.

trust me, I hate driving I-55 to memphis more than anyone else on here. the train is great for people who live in memphis coming to new orleans. gets to nola around 4pm, and leaves to go back around 2pm. but for those of us in nola trying to get to memphis, the schedule really sucks, especially for weekend trips.

I hate to be all "if this were Europe..." about it but seriously, it's pretty ridiculous what a pain it is to get from here to memphis. I'd gladly pay $150 for a r/t plane ticket, but usually they're at least twice that. meanwhile you can fly to atlanta, florida, any city in texas, and sometimes even chicago from nola for less than $150.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 2:54 pm

yep, and that's if it runs on time. just about every time I've taken it or picked people up from the station it's been late.
see that's exactly what i was thinking, did it used to have a faster train/differant route?
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 2:55 pm | Edited by: rich riggler

yawn.

See? The people are very boring there.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 3:03 pm

see that's exactly what i was thinking, did it used to have a faster train/differant route?

I don't think so. half the times I've picked people up from the station, the train was late because of some freak occurance. one time some people on the train broke into the bar and stole a bunch of beer. they had to stop at a station somewhere and cops came on the train and searched everyone and arrested the bandits. I couldn't make this shit up. another time it hit a car in hazelhurst, ms and they had to stop the train for 2 hours. sometimes they just have to stop the train a bunch for freight trains to pass.

it's usually not as bad on the way up to memphis because it almost always leaves new orleans on time. but on the way down, it might be delayed already coming from chicago.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 3:41 pm

Memphis is universally expensive to fly in to and out of. I have heard the whole "NWA is here, etc" argument, and I believe it to an extent. I can't figure it out.
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 10:34 am

me and jatard were waiting on the train 3 hours late...it hit a car and killed someone ..the paint was still smudged across the front of the train...psss last night micheal stipe was outside of the restaurant after eating, meeting up with some "dudes" he asked us if we knew a place to get late night food for his "friends" so we sent him to Yo Momma's...he goes "really, yo momma's?" fer sure bra
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®