Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Picture disc question.
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 1:05 am

I have about mmmm..4 picture discs LP's all but one sound like total shit..why? Currently playing T-Rex The Slider..picture disc..theres a big "Hmmmmmmmmbbzzzzzz" sound at the beginning..that makes me cry and bitch. Oh and holy shit I didnt know that Flo and Eddie did backup vocals on it!!!!
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 1:13 am

I got Powerslave picture disc, bro! It's a little crackly.
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 2:58 am

If I remember right, it's because the music is not exactly pressed into the disc like a regular record; something like it's pressed into a really thin and very noisy soundsheet-type thing which is then bonded to the thicker part with the picture on it. I read that a very long time ago, though... I think the only picture disc thing I have now is oddly enough a Marc Bolan interview set; six 7"s in a clear plastic folder deal that's supposed to hang on the wall; only listened to it once and, yes, it's heinously noisy- no music at all on it.
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 8:28 am

my new bomb turks - gotta gotta sinking feeling/feel it sounds absolutely AMAZING.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Bomb-Turks-Gotta-Gotta-7-Picture-Disc_W0QQitem Z360161707105QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item53db4f8461

i have few others that sound fine
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 10:22 am

I recently aquired a vintage Cars-My Best Friend's Girl/Moving In Stereo car-shaped picture disc in mint condition. It sounds great.
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 11:34 am

Posted: Oct 29, 2009 11:58 am

I have a Venom picture disc that is shaped like a goat's head. I remember it sounding as vile as they were.
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 12:21 pm

Bet it's still not as vile as the Adolf Hitler picture disc!!
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 12:54 pm

I have that Melvins 3LP set that are all pic discs, it doesnt sound bad at all...but as the pics are merely graphics (swastika, klan shield, pentagram, black panther, etc) and not a photo perhaps they are actually cut somehow rather than the soundsheet thingy.

I do have the Maiden "Piece of Mind" pic disc since it has their cover of "Cross Eyed Mary" as a bonus track and it doesnt sound as good as my regular LP.

Its a crap shoot I suppose.
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 1:06 pm

You're a crap shoot.
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 1:28 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

wow...tough check there Rich. I think you really knocked the wind outta me with that one. I mean really, the razor sharp wit and the timing in which it is delivered is really noteworthy. Youre like an AARP 1990s punk rock version of Oscar Wilde...now if only you could die in a hotel room in the next few days complaining about the wallpaper...
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 1:38 pm

i've got the picture disc of the boys' album that sounds fine. that said, it's such a sucky pain in the ass to find the beginning of a track if you're dj'ing. picture disc lp's suck. same with colored vinyl lp's. 7 inches, not so bad...
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 2:24 pm

it's pressed into a really thin and very noisy soundsheet-type thing which is then bonded to the thicker part with the picture on it.

that is exactly true and is the reason why they usually sound shitty. very susceptible to damage.
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 9:25 pm

Oh, and I think I've got a Jane Aire & The Belvederes 7" picture disc (Call Me Every Night/ Lazy Boys) that sounds pretty alright. Especially since it's something like 30 years old now.
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 10:44 pm

colored vinyls sound worse than black ones too
or they wear down faster or something
Posted: Oct 31, 2009 12:23 am

colored vinyls sound worse than black ones too

I only notice colored vinyl sounding worse if it's something kinda old (like from the '70s or '80s); and apparently that glow-in-the-dark Penetration album looked a whole lot better than it sounded.
Posted: Oct 31, 2009 12:38 am

so my black and white black and whites lp is only gonna sound half as good?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®