Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Should I get a gun?
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 9:20 am

Guys in the cubicle next to me were comparing holsters. One of those guys is sane and level headed, the other, maybe less so. But there was a gun-owning employee who got fired a while back who would go fucking crazy AT WORK over the littlest shit (like not being able to make the drafting program, he was supposedly proficient with, work). Don't know if that guy carried at work... Supposedly, at a previous place of employment, he brought his hand cannon in and set it on his drafting board as he worked, cryptically muttering "I just don't know what I'm going to do today..." Luckily, I've got a line-of-sight on the parking lot so I can see anybody approaching the building.

I'm less afraid of the street people with their guns so much as the screwball coworkers with their stupid white-people-problems. I gotta protect myself from them, at work?

Employee Handbook only warns against employees who unlawfully carry weapons while conducting company business -lumped in same sentence as explosives and illegal drugs.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 9:49 am

unlawfully carry weapons

Sounds to me like you A-OK as long as you get a permit.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 9:50 am

Of course[b][/b] you should get a gun!
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 10:11 am

A-OK as long as you get a permit.

Yeah Scott, the problem is I don't trust these idiots. I guess, if I was packing, one of them could just walk up behind me and shoot me execution style.

I'm just worried about a breakdown where some idiot starts a firefight. I guess, since there are so many packers at work, they can shoot it out while I make for the exit. Nevermind, carry on.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 10:25 am

We're sitting ducks over here with all the parents we end up pissing off while we protect the kids they've abused and neglected...luckily, Garr's Fishin' Hole is directly across the street and well, all day long dudes in Gimme Caps and camo hang out on the front porch and they have a dry erase sandwich board advertising a sale on shotgun shells outside. I'm not really worried.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 11:00 am

Leave it at work if you get one.
I'm terrified of little boys and guns in the same house.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 11:04 am

dudes in Gimme Caps and camo hang

you got your own redneck spetsnaz!
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 11:24 am

Anonymous letter/email to HR merely saying that you feel uncomfortable with weapons in the workplace should suffice. I say anonymous because as soon as they get told to stop carrying, they'll want to know who. Unless it's part of your job, you shouldn't be carrying a fucking gun to work. I'm sure HR, if this is a legit place, would be extremely worried about such things from a legal standpoint.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 11:36 am | Edited by: Jon Juan

What you really need is one of these

Posted: Oct 13, 2009 11:54 am

"paranoia strikes deep,into your life it will creep" Sambeaux , you're such a hyper- opinionated judgemental asshole , I would say your fears are well founded.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 12:15 pm

At the printer I used to work for we had a couple if instances. While I was there we had a lady threaten to go to her car, get her gun and "Start Spraying mother fuckers". Not to mention she showed up to work drunk everyday.
Then, about a month after I left, a former coworker was shot nine times by another former coworker in the parking lot over a girl.
People carry their problems with them to work, just like they carry their work home. Guns at work = no bueno.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 12:30 pm

you should get a gun, you never know when the Greys are gonna attack.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 12:33 pm

Yeah, Muddy Spear and his people may be about to perform a hostile takeover in meeting room 1!

I also heard some Rogue Apaches are just behind the arroyo in the kitchen!

Also, there is a sleeper cell about to awaken in Shed #4!
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 12:51 pm

The irony is that I'm more afraid of the legitimate gun owners that I'm put into close proximity with than the thugs that walk up and down my street daily.

I would say your fears are well founded.

Exactly, the guy I described above was always trying to get ME to hang out with him outside of work and was always talking to ME about how the blacks wouldn't have talked to him like that 40 years ago. You just don't want to be close to a grenade when it blows up.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 1:17 pm

You just don't want to be close to a grenade when it blows up.

katherine told me about that guy a while back, right? the hippie dude thats also a powder keg. is that the one?
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 1:47 pm

Yeah. Speaking of HR, people tried complaining on him all over the place to the VPs, to their supervisors, nothing.

I forward one email about increasing penis size and I get a sexual harrassment "talking to".
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 3:01 pm

I went into the trailer park where two of the West Memphis 3 are from last week and my client yelled over at his friend about my car, "Hey mane, like mah new car?" and I turned and looked at his buddy who was about 6 feet away...he was shirtless and carrying a rifle over his shoulder and then he stopped, smiled and loaded it with a couple of shells and rambled on over the the bean fields!

Occupational fun. I never worry about those kids, but some disgruntled, racist hippie with a persecution complex and a gun fascination??? Um, yep.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 4:02 pm

The irony is that I'm more afraid of the legitimate gun owners that I'm put into close proximity with than the thugs that walk up and down my street daily.

Exactly.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 8:09 pm

Great idea Sam! Lets get some guns!!!!!

Whoo-Hoo!
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 9:28 pm

I understand they have gun lockers now that can scan your fingerprints. The future is now.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 10:09 pm

You can pay for your groceries using your fingerprint now. Your future is doomed.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 10:11 pm

you can pay for your groceries using a gun too, but everyone gets really upset.
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 10:18 pm

you can pay for your groceries using a gun too, but everyone gets really upset.

HEE-HAW!!!
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 1:40 am

If you do get a gun make it a quiet one!!!!!!!
http://www.impactguns.com/store/AWC-ABRAXAST.html
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 3:33 am

who the fuck pays for groceries????

chumps...
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 6:45 am

you better get yourself a... PEPPER SPRAY BOOGIE!
you get it in the eye & it makes you wanna cry!
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 8:13 am

i'm still trying to figure out how a dude from mangina is afraid of anything.

and how does one send anonymous emails anyway?
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 8:59 am

just sign it "anonymous". another question?
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 9:26 am

I dunno, get a gun if you want I guess. Any place where you have white people in the south, chances are at least half of them own guns and a sizable margin of them probably keep one stashed in their car. I try not to worry about these things. then again, my office has a big thick door with no glass and a deadbolt.

statistically speaking, you're gonna die in a car accident way before somebody shoots you in your office.
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 9:40 am

Memphis seems worse than New Orleans in terms of "stupid" gun violence. Last year, a soccer dad shot another soccer dad over a parking spot in the parking lot of an Olive Garden or some shit. I think it's all the repressed weirdo southern baptists worried they're not going to get into heaven. Post-Katrina NOLA seems like the wild west though with people getting shot on Frenchmen and the home invasions. If you're going to do a home invasion, you're pretty much fucked right? You might as well add Murder 1 to it?

But if somebody came into my house, cut my hand off, used it to open my gun locker and shot me with my own gun, I could respect that. Somebody in a Dually or SUV shooting me over my Obama/Gay Marriage bumper stickers is more likely to happen though.
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 10:13 am

I know plenty of people here and in memphis who have been victims of violent crimes, and I can tell you for a fact it wasn't some guy with a W sticker on his ford expedition committing the crime. I'm pretty sure brian turd didn't get lit up by a soccer dad. the kind of violence you're talking about is a freak occurance and buying a gun isn't likely to prevent it.
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 10:54 am

True. Gun violence that could be prevented by actually owning a gun is itself a freak occurence. I don't think anybody with a gun is really going to defend themselves against somebody else with a gun unless they get the drop on the other guy -and as a victim, this usually isn't the case.

The freak occurence wasn't all that improbable given the freak nature of the wacko employee we had that MGMT would do nothing about. It was fucked up.

i'm still trying to figure out how a dude from mangina is afraid of anything.

If it's any consolation, I'm the only member of Mangina who does not own a gun. And Matt's deathly afraid of snakes... Well, just black snakes.
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 12:04 pm | Edited by: saispas

Any place where you have white people in the south, chances are at least half of them own guns and a sizable margin of them probably keep one stashed in their car.

I will never forget opening my mom's glove compartment in the 90's (probably scrounging for money) and putting my hands on a pearl-handled revolver. My mother was the last person I ever suspected would have a gun, mostly because she's such a neurotic wreck I can see her giving it to the "bad man" if he was just asking her for directions.

Note: "giving it"="shooting every bullet available into the man"
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 12:06 pm

you're gonna die in a car accident way before somebody shoots you in your orifice
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 1:36 pm

ummm yeah. i was in my house when someone tried to break into it one time through the window where we had an air conditioner. flung open the door and waved a gun and let out the door a huge black barking dog. (although the dog wouldn't hurt a flea.) someone ran fast and no one had to actually get shot. i wouldn't ever shoot someone unless they were gonna try to harm me, but still. owning a gun is not a bad thing. people do dumb shit in memphis. the house two doors down from me, someone got raped in the house after a break-in. the girl down the street from me got her ass kicked and robbed in her front yard after coming home from work one night. i don't live in the hood either. and the time someone tried to break in and i caught them wasn't the only time someone broke in. someone once was successful and stole the video camera on the front room table and also my car was stolen once.

i dunno if having a gun in the house would prevent anything from happening, but at least it did prevent someone from entering into my house once when i was home.
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 2:49 pm

sam, if management turns a blind eye to guns then you should be allowed to bring one of the dogs to watch your back. i'd suggest the akita. they are bred for that sort of thing.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 3:28 am | Edited by: Uptight White

Those co-workers are irresponsible wannabes. Unless you are open carrying, you never display your gun, and you sure as hell don't pass one around at work unless you happen to work at a firing range or a gun store.

You shouldn't feel the need to arm yourself from your co-workers, and your boss needs to get better control of his staff. Don't get a gun.

Reading FBI crime stats is a good place to start if you are interested in quelling your concerns.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 11:20 am

Reading FBI crime stats is a good place to start if you are interested in quelling your concerns.

Where can one find the stats for the Memphis metro area that explain who's shooting whom? I kinda see where Sam is coming from here, particularly residing in one area of town and working about a block from the infamous Windjammer incident.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 2:10 pm

Those co-workers are irresponsible wannabes.

Duh, not directed @uptightwhite. Their dickswinging is just a lame posturing to make up for their failed dreams of playing football for UT or something. One day, they'll buy Harley's and frost their hair.

It's like the Memphis guns in bars argument. I mean, theoretically, it makes sense so long as the bar patrons are the ideal level-headed clientelle that all root for the same sports team. But I wouldn't trust any of these surburban cowboys to difuse any sort of situation at work with a gun any more than I would to allow them to calmly conceal and mind their own business sitting at the bar at Murphy's while Burn the Masses is playing.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 2:25 pm

'If you are so obsessed about the "cowboys" doing you harm ,then why don't you live and work in Orange Mound or Hickory Hill where you can feel completely safe and insulated from them. When you hear that window being foced open in the middle of the night ,you can rest easy that it AIN'T Billy Joe with his Ruger Blackhawk.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 2:33 pm

Saambeaux ain't gonna buy a gun. He's too cheap to even buy a real bass instead of a crappy joke one.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 4:53 pm

You're just jealous cause it's got a neck.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 5:22 pm

You're just jealous cause it's got a neck.

red?
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 5:38 pm

Guns don't kill people...............................TSOT kills people.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 5:49 pm

red?

Long and slender.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 7:11 pm

ideal level-headed clientelle that all root for the same sports team

like FIREMEN in asheville, nc?

http://www.wyff4.com/news/20187786/detail.html
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 7:20 pm

Another reason why I don't call 911.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 7:28 pm

another reason why i don't ride a bike
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 7:37 pm

Then we've got these jokers close by in Crittenden Co. Arkansas:

JERICHO, AR He was shot by an officer. Now arrest warrants have been issued for the Former Fire Chief in Jericho, Arkansas. Meanwhile, the officer who shot him is patrolling the streets. Investigators say Don Payne was shot inside Jericho City Hall after he confronted a judge over a parking ticket.

MyEywitnessNews.com caught up with Don Payne more than a week after the warrants were issued. He was on his front porch. "I'm sitting right here just waiting. I'm not a fugitive. I'm a person that works for the government just like them. I am an honest man." Payne says the actions of the Jericho Police Department are anything but. "These officers need to be checked out by the FBI. When people do like they do, they don't want to come out and talk. They're hiding stuff so, you can come and visit me any time of the week."

MyEywitnessNews.com received a lukewarm welcome by Jericho's mayor. "I'm doing my mayor's duty, what I'm supposed to do. My bookwork and everything lined up because we've been behind." Neither the mayor, nor officers would say when they plan to make the arrest. Both Payne and his lawyer call the charges senseless.

The Town of Jericho is currently without a fire department. Just days after being released from the hospital, Don Payne was fired as fire chief. His volunteer crew resigned after hearing about Payne's termination.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 8:34 pm

Crittenden Co. Arkansas

I had to go to court there once. There was a couple and their son there for the dad's fifth DUI or some such thing. He got stopped on the road to his farm. The woman looked like she had stepped out of the Grapes Of Wrath and the son looked like the hick guy on the Simpsons. I felt like I was in a movie.

The dad's name was Cletus. I shit you not.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 8:47 pm

Some folk will never eat a skunk, but then again some folk'll
like cletus, the slack jawed yokel
Posted: Oct 16, 2009 6:58 am

Apparently, guns don't kill people, rappers do.

Sam, you should hire me as a bodyguard. I once scared a burglar off with my flat mate's fluff remover. That's how scary I am.

I've been looking for an opportunity to live over there for a bit.

We could dance underneath the broken fire hydrants, and play stick-ball with the local priests.
Posted: Oct 16, 2009 10:48 am

caught up with Don Payne ... on his front porch. "I'm sitting right here just waiting." ... "These officers need to be checked out by the FBI. When people do like they do, they don't want to come out and talk. They're hiding stuff so, you can come and visit me any time of the week."

Sounds like the shooting is far from over.
Also, firebugs take note:
The Town of Jericho is currently without a fire department.

stick-ball with the local priests

We've had a lot of public interest in this lately over here, particularly court cases uncovering past games of "stick-ball" the Catholic clergy had played with young male parishoners.

TV has lead me to beleive that British people are really good with children. I've got 3 under four years, could you get all Supernanny on them like Jo Frost?
Posted: Oct 16, 2009 11:07 am

I've always been pretty good with children (and dogs*), and Jo Frost recently taught me some of the essentials of dealing with unruly kids, which is something I may have struggled with. It's fun playing around with kids, teaching them magic tricks and how to dance the boogaloo, but when they're screaming in your face, you gotta know what to do, right?

I can't promise I could teach them much, apart from a short history of snooker and its personalities, maybe, but I could probably do away with the boogeyman, and keep them safe until an adult came home.

(*See Victoria Stilwell for advice on dealing with dogs that people have fucked up. She's hot, and she's more than likely to bring up that always-awkward moment of wrapping a leash around the neck of the woman you love before they do.)
Posted: Oct 16, 2009 11:26 am

Warning: The last (and only?) time I babysat, the kids fed me Champagne cocktails, and I was passed out when the parents came home.

In my defence, one of the kids was a 14yr old girl, and the other a 10yr old lad. They'd been in bed for a while before I passed out, and I was pretty tired anyway, so it's not like I was super drunk.

So unless your kids know how to mix drinks, it's all good.
Posted: Oct 16, 2009 1:37 pm

what kind of negligent parent would leave their 14 year old daughter with you?
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 4:29 pm

well sam i guess that shooter in orlando was a disgruntled engineer that got shitcanned 2 years ago. might want to think about full or semi-auto.
Posted: Nov 8, 2009 2:36 pm

from 2008 FBI CRIME STATS
Top Murder Areas
compiled by Chuck Vicious
CITY / MURDERs per 100,000
new orelans 22
pine bluff ark 20
mobile al 16
jackson ms 14
Baton Rouge 13
memphis 12.6
sumter, sc 12.5
danville, va 12
coluumbus, ga 12
saginaw, mi 12
baltimore 11
florence sc 11
macon ga 10
goldsboro, nc 10
phili pa m.d. 10
visalia-porterville, ca 10
anderson, sc 10
birmingham 10
fayetteville, nc 10
jacksonville, fl 10
miami beach 9.6
littlerock 9.5

I think this stat that I have compiled is the best one to go by to judge murder rate in different cities because it includes their metro area.
MEMPHIS AINT THAT BAD COMPARATIVELY, but what's up with Pine Bluff, ARK ?
Posted: Nov 8, 2009 4:05 pm

Pine Bluff has been a mess for years. Next on the Arkansas scary list will be Forrest City.
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 3:41 pm

actually, i could be wrong, but according to my calculations if you live 80 years in memphis-- this means currently you have a little over 1% chance of being murdered. That is kinda high.
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 3:45 pm | Edited by: chuckvicious

most citys are about 0.4 - 0.6 % chance of being murdered, which- I guess isn't much different. however the 2% New Orleans and Pine Buff seems a little scary.

Think about it. You probably have known at least 100 people in Memphis. How many of them have been murdered?
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 3:47 pm

Not enough.
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 6:39 pm

You probably have known at least 100 people in Memphis. How many of them have been murdered?
I came close to being statistic (Sorry, Sambeaux) from a mugging in 1990. I spent six hours in the ER before they got me leak proof ( blood not piss). I was sorta assaulted a couple of weeks ago too - he was too fucked up on dat rock to do it right. The best he could do was kick me in the shin trying to knock me down. I am very close to taking the concealed weapons certification.
I knew two people in Memphis who have been killed in brawls I also knew a young women who died of a blood clot on the brain not long after she was beaten by her husband. Another if you count Lee Baker ,who I only knew slightly.
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 8:42 pm

But wasn't Lee Baker killed in Horseshoe Lake?

The only person I've personally known to possibly be murdered in Memphis was a girl named Bridgette Ballard, who went to West Jr. HS in West Memphis with me. The first and last time I heard anything about it was when I was in HS and she was on the phone with someone when she was in an apartment in Memphis and was apparently kidnapped. I only assume she is dead.

I had a friend at Central who was killed when his car was hit by a train on Estate, but that had nothing to do with this issue.

It isn't too hard to figure out where most of the murders in this city are happening and to whom they are happening.
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 9:21 pm

Watched me some first 48 the other night. Looks like I'm gonna make it, because I'm not cruising fags, buying drugs, an old lady, or gangbanging.
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 9:50 pm | Edited by: saispas

Looks like I'm gonna make it, because I'm not cruising fags, buying drugs, an old lady, or gangbanging.

And you are old enough not to worry about your mom leaving you home alone with your 18 month old brother while she goes to CitiTrends while the house burns down.
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 2:31 pm | Edited by: Beer Joint

Buying a gun is your American right...I say go for it. Get a 20 caliber thow, because it's the only ammo that's realy affordable anymore.

It's good enough for shooting rats in the junkyard, and an x-cop came into my hospital with his foot blown off from one...he was drunk shooting squirrels in his backyard and shot his foot...poor guy just has a nub now.
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 3:17 pm

http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php?action=vthread&forum=4&to pic=46608

A .22 is cool, but check out 49's aka Bodyguards....they're the coolest ever...good luck finding ammo.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®