Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Portland - Big Trees
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 7:31 am

So, Portlanders, we will be going out there from christmas to new years. Was thinking about renting a car and driving down to the redwoods in cali and renting a cabin near there for a few nights. But, apparently, those things are not near each other. So, I wanna know, how does a big douglas fir compare to a giant sequoia? Will the valley of the giants be as awesome as the grove of the titans? Are their cabins in the woods to be rented on a nightly basis near some big trees? Do you recommend this? I want to see some majestic splendor.
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 12:00 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Peterson Prairie Guard station is available on the 26th. About an hour and a 1/2 drive. Amazing views of Mt. Adams nearby. pic website

I've always wanted to spend the night in one of the fire lookouts, never done it, though.

There are plenty of private cabins for rent, also. I'm pretty sure the print version of the Oregonian still has a Vacation Rentals section in the classifies, damned if I can find it online, tho.

Oregon forests are cool, but not the same. OR/WA cascades are greener, wetter, more tightly packed than down there in Cali.
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 1:13 pm | Edited by: Matto

shit...there\'s plenty of gorgeous country within\' an hour or two of portland, you don\'t hafta drive all the way down there...check mt. hood of course....but also check out some of the stuff along the lewis river, between mt. st. helens and mt. adams in WA, like this......
http://www.lonefirresort.info/images/lewis_river_falls.jpg.... many spots like this spread all over the cascades, and not far at all from Portland
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 1:18 pm

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 1:33 pm

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 2:18 pm

yeah, but it's gonna be the end of december, so think snow everywhere above 3000 feet if not sea level, like last year. most roads to places like in gifford pinchot national forest (like lewis river) will be closed or not very accessible at best. renting a cabin on mt. hood is fun and gets close to skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing but those cabins can be expensive as most are usually meant for a dozen people. you could try to find a smaller one and reenact The Shining. the coast can be beautiful at that time. you can rent yurts or cabins out there. and there are big trees and crazy surf.
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 2:48 pm

yeah, that's a definate possibility...keep it in mind tho.....i used to work at this killer lodge off Lolo Pass on Mt. hood... clear creek lodge...she often has it booked around christmas, but i could she what she has available...
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 3:12 pm

Mt. Hood sounds like slang for a clitoris, right?
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 7:53 pm

If you're looking for pretty, Oregon is WAY too fucking pretty to bother with Cali in the same short trip...it's just one big playground of nature gloriousness....and furthermore, what they said...^^
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 7:55 pm

Oh and get in touch! We're REALLY good tour guides...remayoung at gmail dot com...
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 9:43 pm

Redwoods = AWESOME!

Everyone should check 'em out at least once in their life.
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 10:49 pm

I think they just wanted to drive down to Nor Cal for the primo buds.
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 11:27 pm

I've always wanted to spend the night in one of the fire lookouts, never done it, though.

I've done that, it's rad!

I would second the coast in winter as a retreat. Cabins, yurts, etc. and it's really blustery and green and wet and awesome.
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 1:37 am

Yeah-- driving to CA / redwoods will eat time. it's 6-7 hours to the CA state border. We're up here a ways. Heading southward, the terrain gets quite dramatic (on the interstate, no less) after Roseburg, so driving anywhere off that sounds like an ordeal. I wish I could recommend something outdoorsy but truth be told I usually hide indoors during that time of year. The natives' suggestions would have me beat anyhow.

you dragging Martel up here? or am I thinking of a different New Orleansian?
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 7:51 am

primo buds.
Yeah, her name's KAren.

ragging Martel up here?
yeah.

Thanks all for all the tips. Gonna spend the day at work researching the links.
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 11:20 am

You can take a right at Grants Pass, Oregon and take Hwy 199 over to the extreme Northern California coast. This not only brings you by huge redwoods next to the Smith River in California, but also goes right by the Oregon Caves Nat'l Monument, one of two marble caves in the USA and (I believe) open year round for ranger-led tours! There's a lodge there too.
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 11:53 am

I usually hide indoors during that time of year

Oh man.. and you're from Wisconsin!

I don't know how I got talked into going to Portland at xmastime. At that latitude the sun will be out for about 4 hours per day. If you're gonna be around, lets grab some beers.
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 12:23 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I spent a week in Cave Junction once in the mid-90s. Doin' speed, shootin' guns and rebuilding the engine for a Chevy Van.

It was nice, but I couldn't get outta there fast enough after it was all over. Made it back to Portland in 4 hours!
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 4:21 pm

Another good option would be driving up to the Olympic National Forest. Crazy old growth rainforest action, majestic trees, moss, etc. ant it's only 2-3 hours away. It'll be wet and chilly, and I'm not sure there are cabins up there. I know you can camp, and that there's a least some places to stay (I've stayed at the Lake Quinalt Lodge as a kid, but that probably isn't what you're looking for), but the Oregon coast might be a better option for cheap nightly rentals.

Bear in mind that the yurts and cabins on the coast are very minimally equipped, but they'll keep you dry. Other things to do on the Oregon coast: go to Astoria and annoy the people that live in the Goonies house.
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 4:23 pm

I don't know how I got talked into going to Portland

HAHA, don't forget to take your love beads and anal lube!
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 4:58 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

HAHA, don't forget to take your love beads and anal lube!

Fuck that, I ain't spending the extra $$$ to bring checked luggage.
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 5:22 pm | Edited by: Matto

Another good option would be driving up to the Olympic National Forest.
yeah...it is killer up there...but it's more driving than you think...gonna take you 3 hours at least to get to quinault, which is on the SW corner basically....4 hours plus if you head the other way up the east side an around to the top like we did a month or so ago...fucking gorgeous area tho...lemme dig up a Sol Duc Falls pic..
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 5:25 pm

here ya go...i fucking hate that slow shutter speed "waterfall" effect..but you get the idea..

http://georgewashingtoninn.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/sol-duc-falls-p hoto.jpg
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 6:44 pm

go to Astoria and annoy the people that live in the Goonies house

ha! that's what I did yesterday!
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 10:23 pm

Gonna spend the day at work researching the links.

maybe you should actually spend the day working you freeloader!
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 10:33 pm

Fuck that, I ain't spending the extra $$$ to bring checked luggage.

Well you gotta check your handgun anyways...
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 1:16 am

Oh man.. and you're from Wisconsin!

I know, living out west has made me somewhat of a weather-pussy. I really don't hate it, I'm just whining 'cause I'm staring down a whole week of rainy weather, the first sustained blast we've had since April or something.

Beers definitely. I'll be back in town from the 28th onward.
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 10:43 pm

The Fire Lookouts are great.. But you better get drugs/beers cause there isn't shit around.... Great time and cheap..
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 3:47 pm

So, I guess the other questions are: What is there to do actually in Portland? What are the top 20 beers in town? I hear there a lot of them and I plan on drinking heavily.

Anything of note happening in between christmas and new years eve?

also, anything happening in seattle on nye?
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 4:27 pm

Red Fang are playing a show at Doug Fir on 12/26. They play good metal if you like that sort of thing.
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 4:38 pm

You have to go to the Horse Brass. They have an ever-changing and huge tap-list from the NW and beyond and have been in the game longer than anyone in town.

One of my favorite beer places at the moment is Saraveza. Nice selection of rotating taps, plus 100s of different bottles, which you can also get to go. And the pasties are killer.

This blog is worth a gander.
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 4:49 pm

Go to Saraveza on N. Killingsworth and N. Michigan for a stellar beer selection. And awesome pasties not of the boob variety.
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 4:50 pm

Dammit! I guess you got to the pasties first leftpeg- at any rate- I second the pasties!
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 7:40 pm

Pasties as in the cornish potato filled calzone type things? awesome.
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 8:13 pm

I am so fucking hungry...
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 10:00 pm

eat my asshole, bith.
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 10:22 pm

Pasties as in the cornish potato filled calzone type things? awesome.

Yeah, and my pal Spence who makes 'em is an alright guy! And if you go over there, you may as well make an afternoon of it... a quick beer and sausage at Amnesia Brewing and some record shopping at Mississippi.

I'll be around too, if you wanna hang. Call me.
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 11:05 pm

Joe, I suck and lost your number, send me it please.

Beers to go....No open container laws in PDX?????
Posted: Dec 24, 2009 2:36 am

Beers to go....No open container laws in PDX?????

Oh yes, there are, but Saraveza is both a bar and a retail outlet, which means they can sell you bottles, cans, 6 packs, etc. On the other hand, at places like Amnesia where they brew their own beer, you can get a growler filled with beer to go. Not sure if many places do mason jars much any more, but here's a link to a site that compiled prices on growlers. Probably a bit out of date now, but still useful information.
http://www.bsbrewing.com/blog/2007/09/the-growler-index/
Posted: Dec 24, 2009 3:21 am

and if you drink too much the OLCC will force-feed you Hungry-Man dinners 'til you're sober enough to operate commercial logging equipment. it's in our constitution.
Posted: Dec 24, 2009 11:29 am

When I was in Hooper they just gave me soup and crackers.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®