Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Philadelphia
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 9:27 pm

What are the must-sees/do/eat?
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 10:13 pm

Probably goes without sayin, but compare and contast the cheesesteaks from the one with all the Vegas-lookin' neon and the other one across the street.
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 3:16 am

thats a great movie starring Tom Hanks.
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 8:46 am

there's some heavy duty 2nd hand record stores there.

go see love city play. if you like ratt cover bands.
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 11:00 am

Don't let the windows get smashed out of your car.
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 12:09 pm | Edited by: eric o

MUSEUM OF ART. Duchamp. Etant Donnes exhibit going on NOW (?).

And you can pretend to be Rocky and run up and down the steps.
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 12:13 pm

go to mutter museum of the philadelphia college of phyicians. medical anomalies like two headed babies in jars, etc. also, ye olde quaker prison is pretty cool as well.
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 1:01 pm

go see love city play. if you like ratt cover bands.

You don't even know WHAT we sound like.. you lost our 7" in a river of tears! haha

What are the must-sees/do/eat?

When are you coming?

Mutter Museum is rad as is the Art Museum... The Duchamp IS totally the coolest shit in there. Especially the glory hole!

What kind of stuff do you like VS how much time do you have?
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 1:28 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

I went to Philadelphia Once. Played the Trocadero....my amp was 730 feet behind me. Sucked. Had some chinese food in "chinatown". Sucked. The whole city was hot and smelly. Sucked. I hate Philadelphia.
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 1:54 pm

MUSEUM OF ART. Duchamp. Etant Donnes exhibit going on NOW (?)
yeah. definitely see this if you can.
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 2:37 pm

We'll be there over Thanksgiving. it's a work trip for the Millionaire, so we will have different random times to get out and do stuff.

Is is worth trying to hop on a train to NYC?
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 3:42 pm

Is is worth trying to hop on a train to NYC?
Best thing about philly is the proximity to ny, not counting it's always sunny in philadelphia and cheesesteaks.
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 4:03 pm

go to mutter museum of the philadelphia college of phyicians.

The Mutter Museum is a must see! You can see John Wilkes Booth's thorax, an engorged colon and a HUGE collection of trephanated skulls from back when mental health meant puncturing the skulls of living people.
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 4:34 pm | Edited by: rich riggler

it's a work trip for the Millionaire

Gay prostitution outcall?
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 4:39 pm

You should stay 'til New Years and catch the Mummers Parade. Never seen it live, but looks rad on TV.
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 6:38 pm

Gay prostitution outcall?

all expenses paid
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 3:26 am

I wanna go with you guys...im only an hour away..I'll wash up for this trip.
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 9:47 am

Where should we go to eat (besides cheesesteaks)?
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 10:11 am

i love philly. cheesesteaks are overated. they're good, but i bet most cities in america have a good cheesesteak place. philly is no exception. the steaks are good, but its not worth going out of way to get one. its fucking shaved steak with cheese wiz. good, yes...life changing, no.

if you like mexican food, check out this place

http://www.tequilasphilly.com/

kind of a lame name, but the food is killer...amazing salsa. try the one with pickled jalapenos..fucking amazing...

mutter....check
duchamp...check

too bad you weren't going near halloween, they convert that prison into one of the better haunted houses in the us...
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 10:48 am

thats where they make the creamcheese!
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 1:00 pm

flag of democary !!!!
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 1:02 pm

Etant Donnes exhibit is definitely ON at the art museum & is G R E A T
Tequila Sunrise Records
Cheap beers and burgers at Oscar's Tavern
Good olde tyme ice cream at Franklin Fountain
http://www.easternstate.org/
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 1:24 pm

The daytime prison tour looks awesome too.

love philly. cheesesteaks are overated. they're good, but i bet most cities in america have a good cheesesteak place. philly is no exception. the steaks are good, but its not worth going out of way to get one. its fucking shaved steak with cheese wiz. good, yes...life changing, no.

That's kinda what I was thinking.

so, NYC in a day - what's the one thing someone who has never been should do/see/eat?
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 1:27 pm

what's the one thing someone who has never been should do/see/eat?

find something else to do
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 2:40 pm

good info. i'll be in philly on nov 13-15 and staying downtown at the marriot on market. i'll be close to the mutter but are most of those other places walking distance?
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 2:46 pm

RECORD STORES:

AKA Records - 27 N. 2nd Street (Old City)

They got a handful of used.. mostly crap.. but tons of "New" stuff

Noise Pollution - 619 S 4th St (South Street Area)

A lot of crap, but if you ask to dig through the "New Wave" 45s (in boxes under used CDs) you'll probably find some great stuff for cheap. I've scored tons of early punk/post-punk singles like Magazine (first 3 singles), Colin Newman (A-Z singles), Wire, Gang Of Four etc... for like 5 bucks each

Philadelphia Record Exchange - 618 S 5th St (South Street Area)

1,000,000 Records... you could dig for a long time. They usually know their shit, but I've got all kinds of stuff there for cheaps.

Repo Records - 538 South St (South Street Area)

I wouldn't recommend this place on it's own, but it's like a block to two blocks from the other stores. Goodish for new.. and I've gotten good stuff here. But can be PRICEY.. and for shit that isn't even worth it.

Tattooed Mom's - 530 South St

Philly's punk bar... stop in for a drink between shops

Long In The Tooth - 2027 Sansom Street (Rittenhouse Area)

RAD store. Always have tons of stuff. Totally unpretentious and rad staff. Nice Prices! (Last time I was here... I went to drop of fliers and walked out with a STACK of shit. Most notably a 13th Floor Elevators FLEXI of Red Crayola... for $5. What?

Beautiful World Syndicate - 1619 E Passyunk Ave (South Philly)

As everyone else said.... AWESOME store. On the same block as "Cantina" which has some killer Mexican (I lived in the Southwest for a decade). Also near the famous cheesesteak places (yuck!)

tequila sunrise - 525 w. girard avenue (Fishtown)

Out of the way-ish... but a really cool shop
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 2:52 pm

If you go to NY.. take the one of the China Town Express (or one of the other) buses:

http://www.2000coach.com/

http://www.boltbus.com/

Chinatown is ALWAYS $20 round trip or 12 each way.

Bolt is nicer but varies AND you gotta buy a ticket in advance.

You can just roll up to the Chinatown bus and hop on.
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 2:59 pm

Now that I'm looking...

http://www.megabus.com

Haven't taken this.. but it looks like it's $5 each way most of the time and as little as $1 at others.
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 9:48 am

Thanks for the bus info. Was I retarded in thinking there was a train?
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 10:07 am

There IS a train. Amtrak. But, at it's cheapest it's like $90 RT.
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 10:19 am

Pretty sure you can take SEPTA train to Trenton and NY local into NYC for cheap.
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 10:51 am

looks like this thread covered all the bases. i more or less lived there for about 3 months in 2006. let me third (or fourth) the Mutter suggestion. Also, the food in Philly is AMAZING. I had some some top notch Italian, Greek, Vietnamese, but I'd have a hard time recalling the names of the places at this point. There are a couple of really awesome Belgian beer taverns (one around center city called Monk's, and another down in the "old city" that I can't remember the name of) with freakin amazing mussels - cooked up with carmelized leeks, bacon, bleu cheese, fume, fennel & garlic, etc etc and served with pomme frittes.
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 10:55 am

bourbon mayonnaise for dipping the fries...
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 11:27 am

Duchamp collection at Philly Art Moosem rules, but if youse likes yr art, Barnes Foundation in a Philly suburb is a MUST. I heard the other day the collection is worth $20 billion --- lots of impressionists/moderns, all hung the old fashioned way. and they might be tearing it down/moving soon!
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 1:30 pm

There IS a train. Amtrak. But, at it's cheapest it's like $90 RT.

ah. That makes more sense.

Belgian beer

wait a second
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 3:17 pm

fuck, how could i forget the birthplace of LARRY FINE!

http://www.jonsbarandgrille.com/about.htm/

food is just ok...but its the BIRTHPLACE OF LARRY FINE!
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 3:47 pm

so, NYC in a day - what's the one thing someone who has never been should do/see/eat?

Uh... no answer for that one. Been living here 20+ years and still haven't seen it ALL.

But, depending on what you want to do that day (food, museums, historical stuff, rock and roll stuff, obvious tourist stuff) I could give you some ideas.

Oh, and if you all need a place to crash, you're more than welcome to my couch/spare futon.
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 3:49 pm

fuck, how could i forget the birthplace of LARRY FINE!

no shit! I may have to go there just for the photo op
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 6:15 pm

wewhowait: going to a show when i'm there at danger danger gallery. where is and whats up with that place?
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 10:10 pm

wewhowait: going to a show when i'm there at danger danger gallery. where is and whats up with that place?

Danger Danger is in West Philly. It was a house show spot and then moved it down the street.. where it's STILL a house. haha

The show areas consist of the first floor and basement. Band's rotate between the levela so that there is never a time without music. It's actually a really great idea!

We played there last night and a four band show that started at 8:45 was done by 11:00pm. PERFECT!

It's also BYOB.

From where you're staying you would hop on what ever trolley goes up Baltimore Ave and get off at 50th. It'll literally drop you off half a block (at most) from the venue. You catch the trolleys at 13th and Market.
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 3:46 pm

any other tips?
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Been living here 20+ years and still haven't seen it ALL.

New Jersey is NOT NYC. And Philly sucks. Seriously.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 1:29 pm

Pretty sure you can take SEPTA train to Trenton and NY local into NYC for cheap.

True Eric.. this was how I got to NY when I was "staying at ____'s house" when I was a kid!

But the Bus shit will only take like an hour and a half to two and at MOST is 20 round trip.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 1:37 pm

any other tips?

The Belgian places mentioned are GREAT even if you don't like Belgian Beer.
They have a MENU of Beers from all over, including local drafts.
And the Mussels RULE.. 9.99 for a gigantic bowl that comes with fries!

Royal Tavern on Passyunk has great food. Probably one of the best burgers I've ever had. Also an awesome jukebox with everything from Os Mutantes - Motorhead.

Walking around Society Hill is really fun.

If me and the missus are around when you're hear we could probably hang out.
Posted: Nov 19, 2009 12:15 am

We're heading that way on turkey day so. . .
Posted: Nov 19, 2009 11:24 am

i was there last weekend and it was really cool. had a blast. i was REALLY surprised how cheap it was.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®