Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Washing the dishes
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 12:12 pm

I'm a big fan of the 'two sponge' approach when living with other people. Other people tend to ruin a single sponge with the excess dirt, and then leave it in bad condition after only a few days, or even a few hours in some cases.

I try to introduce one 'clean' sponge for when the excess is removed from the dish(es).

I rinse my dishes well before washing them, so I wouldn't need a 'two sponge' approach if I lived alone.

Sometimes people go right ahead and scrub surfaces with the 'clean' sponge, and that's quite hard to take, although washing surfaces with a dirty sponge would almost be as bad.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 12:28 pm

Other people tend to ruin a single sponge with the excess dirt, and then leave it in bad condition after only a few days, or even a few hours in some cases.

Yes; I observed this phenomenon when the sponge is left to dry scrubby side up vs scrubby side down. I have ascertained that the sponge not fully squeezed out and left scrubby side up traps moisture and bacteria, causing the funky sponge smell and trapped goo. Unfortunately, the people I live with don't understand the two sponge method and I am resigned to using one sponge with more frequent replacements. Buying sponges in bulk helps.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 12:39 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I lean my sponge up against the backsplash or window sill, minimizing surface contact for optimal drying.

You might be able to initiate a color coded system for the two sponge method, most scumbags won't bother to adhere to the protocol, however.

I think it's well worth paying double the rent not to have to worry about such situations anymore. Sure I'm poor, but I know where my sponges have been!

Oh, and one roll of Scott TP lasts like 8 months! It's amazing, really.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 12:43 pm

I lean my sponge up against the backsplash or window sill, minimizing surface contact for optimal drying.

Good idea.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 12:44 pm

Oh, and one roll of Scott TP lasts like 8 months! It's amazing, really.

No toilet product lasts that long at my house. Do y'all shit at work or something?
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 1:06 pm

But has anybody determined a suitable approach to those dish sponge users who don't seem to understand that one must rinse the sponge out well after finishing?
After all, they've washed the dishes and you haven't. You don't want to come on all negative by criticizing their follow-through. But let's face it, an unrinsed sponge just doesn't last as long. And gets really stinky.
I understand this isn't necessarily a "washing the dishes" issue, but more a "living with others copacetically" issue.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 1:21 pm

one roll of Scott TP lasts like 8 months! It's amazing, really.

Not really. I'd rather use my hand than wipe with that sorry excuse for toilet paper.

I favor the green plastic scrubbies for washing dishes. They don't get scummy nearly as fast (unless you're using them to scrape cheese or fried eggs off of something).
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 1:27 pm

Those plastic brillo style pads go a long time without getting scummy too. Sinks with sprayers are the best! You can dunk and spray and half the time you don't even need a sponge.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 1:43 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I favor the green plastic scrubbies for washing dishes. They don't get scummy nearly as fast (unless you're using them to scrape cheese or fried eggs off of something).

I use the red and yellow ones primarily. My neighbor got some blue ones recently that are pretty kickass, though. I always sponge after the scrubby, though, as they miss spots.

I toss 'em in the dishwasher after scrubbing the gnarly egg, cheese, oatmeal, mashed taters or other gooey pot/baking dish.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 1:46 pm

No toilet product lasts that long at my house. Do y'all shit at work or something?

There's only one of me, but yeah, I shit at home 3x per week, max.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 1:47 pm

I use paper plates. fuck trees.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 1:48 pm

I toss 'em in the dishwasher after scrubbing

There's the rub. No dishwasher.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 1:48 pm

I use paper plates. fuck trees.

We do too sometimes, but I throw them in the recycle bucket now.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 2:25 pm

I favor the green plastic scrubbies for washing dishes.

i prefer guatemalans
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 2:40 pm

There's the rub. No dishwasher.

You got a pressure washer? I'd pressure wash the hell out of a cheesed up scrubby! Stick it on a nail in a 2x4 so it don't blow down the sidewalk!
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 2:49 pm

New place has a portable dishwasher. It is handy. I love it and it reminds me of R2-D2.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 2:54 pm

You got a pressure washer?

um...no.

portable dishwasher

I'd love one of those but there isn't even room for that in our tiny kitchen. Damn late 1800's house.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 2:54 pm

But has anybody determined a suitable approach to those dish sponge users who don't seem to understand that one must rinse the sponge out well after finishing?

If the sponge isn't filthy, I like to take advantage of the existing soapiness so that extra washing up liquid isn't used.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 3:06 pm

I had to alter my kitchen significantly to make space for a dishwasher, but it was one of the best things I've ever done. I never had one in any place I lived until about 6 months ago and always thought they were stupid luxuries. I was completely wrong. Our home has never been more peaceful and our dishes have never been cleaner.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 3:30 pm

We got one for the first time after being evicted last year.

There's something comforting about the sound of it churning away in the kitchen during the post-prandial period.

However, I noticed all our glasses are all fucked up now, with a few exceptions.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 3:44 pm

microwaving a dirty sponge takes the stink away.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 4:05 pm

The same can be said for dirty whores.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 4:13 pm

Wow, thanks for the vocabulary expansion, Jesse!
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 4:23 pm

I find that dish brushes are best for scrubbing off the big bits.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 4:33 pm

Used to have one of those with a suction cup that was the bees knees, just splorched it on the counter top after a session and it's ready to grab for the next.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 4:42 pm

I find that dish brushes are best for scrubbing off the big bits.

I like those but found them too difficult for the kids to easily manipulate, so we went back to sponges.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 5:16 pm

I find that dish brushes are best for scrubbing off the big bits

Exactly, and then move on to the 'clean' sponges.

My dad used to spend hours in the kitchen washing dishes. He was real good at it. I found out recently that it was just an excuse to avoid spending time with my mother watching Emmerdale, Eastenders and Coronation Street.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 5:53 pm

Exactly, and then move on to the 'clean' sponges.
I think you just need to school these roommates.

I found out recently that it was just an excuse to avoid spending time with my mother watching Emmerdale, Eastenders and Coronation Street.
Ouch! Although, I suppose you should really just pick one soap and stick with it.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 6:07 pm

Ouch! Although, I suppose you should really just pick one soap and stick with it.
Neighbors obviously
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 8:31 pm

drinking beer and listening to music is crucial when washing dishes
the dog usually ends up doing the dishes around here
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 9:01 pm

get married and get your wife to do it.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 9:53 pm

yeah, like that works...
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 11:15 pm

I get paid $14 an hour to wash dishes. I spend 30% of that pitting the cooks against waiters,50% sitting out on a crate out back shooting the shit,and 20% being a dish magician in that I give the illusion the dishes are clean.

best job ever
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 12:12 pm

http://media.photobucket.com/image/Chore%20Boy/datasuspect/choreboy-1. jpg
Chore Boy scrubbing pads are not only useful for cleaning dishes, they are also useful for making inexpensive homemade crack pipes.
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 8:44 pm

Let soak over night:
in morning when water is all cold and food stuffs are floating in sink..:
Feels real good on the hands:
Leaves grease ring around sink:
follow these steps over and over.
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 8:53 pm

Chore Boy scrubbing pads are not only useful for cleaning dishes, they are also useful for making inexpensive homemade crack pipes.

Chore boy is much better for smoking crack than for cleaning dishes.. if you want to scour some motherfucking shit, you need some SCOTCH BRITE pads, the virtues of which I cannot extol enough.
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 8:55 pm

whatever you do do not

I REPEAT DO NOT use your pooped panties to wash your dishes with

the spaghetti oh stains WILL NOT come out
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 9:24 pm

the spaghetti oh stains WILL NOT come out
vinegar and/or baking soda will help
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 11:03 pm

Chore boy is much better for smoking crack than for cleaning dishes.. if you want to scour some motherfucking shit, you need some SCOTCH BRITE pads, the virtues of which I cannot extol enough.
You know, I've heard talk that uppers give people the urge to clean compulsively, but I've never been to a crack house that was even remotely clean. If there are dishes at all they are inevitably dirty. Crack houses are generally dirty awful places. I wish there were less crack houses and more crack homes.
Posted: Apr 29, 2019 10:23 pm

Okay, okay. I totally have this brush to remove the the tough stuff. I use this dual sponge to clean the majority. I use this for my greasey, bacon pans. If my sponge or my brush gets grotty, say, because I'm scraping dried up parm cheese, I use the brush/sponge combo to erase said mixture by scrubbing the sponge with the brush. The Dobies are sacrificial - they are the virgin honeypot of my grease dispair. My dishwasher does the rest, after a good rinse, of course, and a knowledgeable loading of said dishwasher which most inhabitants of my house are complete morons. There is a pattern, PEOPLE! Microwave for the bacterial win and totes lean all three in the showstopper challenge.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®