Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / RIP - Rhino Records
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 10:05 pm

Posted: Sep 24, 2009 10:16 pm

fuck it.

i hate the youth of today and the 20th century is over.

r.i.p.

our world will be dead before we will be. what's gonna be arounbd when we're too old to do anything poroductive? at leat norton will still be around.
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 11:25 pm

Viva NORTON!!
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 11:40 pm

What a shame!!!

RIP

If they're hard-up for cash, they should sell the rights to "Head" to Criterion so they can make a super deluxe edition DVD!
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 4:34 am

hooray for MP3's!!! whats the lifespan on an MP3..?? 3 yrs?....compared to a cd wich averages 15-20 yrs. But wait.....records last twice that..??? mebbe?...i dont know.
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 4:44 am

Viva NORTON!!
& Ace Rds!
it's not as if they didn't know what would happen when they sold themselves to Warner!
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 8:21 am

virtual boxed set
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 8:33 am

Yawn. Seriously, take a quick look at the Upcoming Releases page. Ace has done a far more credible job of repackaging the past. Sundazed understood early the value of vinyl to this niche market, and outfits like Soul Jazz have done a far better job of re-marketing obscurities. Did anyone actually buy "FANNY First Time In A Long Time: The Reprise Recordings" (4 CDs!) ???
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 8:37 am

virtual boxed set

yeah - I caught that - and applaud the marketing genius behind that one!
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 9:00 am

Yawn.

Mebbe so, but I have bought a shitload of Rhino stuff over the years. Sure, some questionable re-issue choices (Shotgun Willie for 17.98?), and other labels have arguably done a better job. But, Rhino Handmade has also done some nice shit, Chris Bell re-ish being the latest. The Lee Hazelwood collection was pretty fine, and the Coasters box set. This isn't just about new releases, but probably also that back catalog sales ain't happening anymore, either.

I look at this as similar to when Tower closed - yeah, there may be other places around that you like better, so you don't give a shit. But the general trend ain't good, and it's going to effect those other places that you like better, too.
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 9:19 am

our world will be dead before we will be.
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 9:37 am

holy shit. no way!
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 11:45 am

The Stooges Funhouse Sessions.
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 3:13 pm

Those Devo releases on Rhino Handmade are awesome too.
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 5:46 pm

The Stooges Funhouse Sessions. Word.
Posted: Sep 26, 2009 2:25 am

Devo Hardcore vol's 1 and 2. Awesome. RIP. dont make em no more i herdzz.
Posted: Sep 26, 2009 2:16 pm

Rhino just put out that Where The Action Is boxed set. Maybe they'll make a few bucks off that.
Posted: Sep 27, 2009 4:39 pm

oh goodie, now I can stop feeling guilty when I ruthlessly pirate everything they put out.

finally I'm no longer the problem, but merely part of the aftermath! awesome!
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 11:13 am

Only went there once in the mid-80's and scored the Chocolate Watchband and Slim Harpo Comps. It was in the middle of nowhere as I recall. Still a great label despite what The Driver says. Just put out the Eddie Hazel album reish which is one of the best releases of any year. RIP.
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 1:24 pm | Edited by: The Driver

Well, my yawn was directed at what Rhino had turned into of late, and the inevitability of the latest announcement. Rhino Handmade would be a significant loss, no doubt about it (Riggler - Rhino Handmade reissued the Game, Dames And Guitar Thangs LP expanded to include the Japanese EP a couple years ago - is this now a general release? vinyl?) The Wikipedia entry for Rhino Entertainment is worth a read to give the current situation some background. Of note; "In 2003, co-founders and longtime executives Richard Foos and Harold Bronson left Rhino" (Foos then started up Shout Factory) As well, Doug Morris (who was behind the Time Warner acquisition of 50% of Rhino in 1992, through his position at Atlantic Records) went on to create Hip-O Records for MCA, (now Universal Music Group).

Schooley - I'd agree with your comparison to the Tower Records situation; ultimately, the discerning customer loses out. "...the general trend ain't good, and it's going to effect those other places that you like better, too" Same thing happened to the Book Industry.
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 2:17 pm

Yeah, Rhino reissued the regular Game, Dames & Guitar Thangs on lp this year domestically.
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 2:43 pm

cool - awesome record

You might also dig the album Tawl Ross (early Funkadelic guitar slinger) released, (as Tal Ross) "a.k.a. Detrimental Vasoline - Giant Shirley"
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®