Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / kings of leon
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 9:05 am

neither of us are fans, but a friend scored free tix so we went.

don't get the appeal. almost as much soul as the dave matthews band. but all the college girls were squealing with delight.

the only thing that saved the night were those squealing ohio state girls wearing little clothing & advertising love for free. none for me, however.
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 9:55 am

I don't get it either. My wife likes the guy's voice, I have no idea why.
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 9:58 am

I actually have a Kings of Leon anectdote...an old band I used to be in was touring with them and I went to go hang out with my old band. After the show, partying ensues. One of the KoL guitar players is this total Keith Richards wannabe guy...the haricut, clothing, cigarette hanging out as he plays, etc...So we are in a limo and my buddy from my old band and I are drinkin the really great tequila, just passin the bottle back and forth... this tequila was very very smooth..you coulda poured it on roadrash and it wouldnt have burned...good shit. Anywho the bottle gets passed to KoL guitar player dude...he is hesitant to take the bottle...he asks "Is it going to burn?"...seriously, this is what a 21st century rock star is...afraid to take a drink...I was getting drunk and obnoxious and I just laughed when he asked this and said "...And you wanna be Keith Richards?" He and another KoL dude just glared at me...they didnt like me very much.
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 10:00 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I like to sing along to their hit very loudly at work:

Waaaaaaaaaaahhh-ohhhhhhhhh. Your sex is on fieeeeee-ohhh.

I don't get it either, but find it nearly infinitely less painful than Dave Matthews.

^^^ holy hell those guys are pussies.
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 11:20 am

I liked them at Newby's.
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 11:51 am

I liked them at Newby's.

you would, faggot.
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 1:45 pm

Warner's Dude (Lyor Cohen) was praising them to the skies in recent NY Times profile.

they're the flavor of the month!
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 1:53 pm

I thought they were the flavor of this month last year, but they got staying power!
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 2:01 pm

na na hey hey yer givin' all yer cinammon awayayay
i said
na na HEY HEY
from the dawn of the night to the red morning light...

my band does that song, shittily.
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 2:08 pm

On a related note, what's up with that song by White Rabbits? Total Radiohead guitar ripoff!
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 2:16 pm

My wife likes the guy's voice, I have no idea why.

yeah, i heard people like his voice which confuses me because even i can sing better than that.
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 3:11 pm

I've mentioned this before, but I swear that in that Ford commercial, the singer kinda sounds like Elmer Fudd.

Is it just me?
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 7:24 pm

i tried to be objective & find something worthwhile about kings of leon. just didn't work.

i guess the problem is the couple friends i have who are usually reliable music-wise who are really into them. gonna have to set them straight.
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 8:02 pm

The only exposure (thankfully) I've had to them was when they were on Austin City Limits with Roky Erickson. They made me want to shoot the TV. Utter excreta.
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 8:05 pm

totally fuddy on that ford advert!
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 11:01 am

whaskley wabbits
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 1:06 pm

I was the assistant engineer on their first record. At that point they were all like 16-18 and just a bunch of humble country kids who'd only recently discovered secular music. I thought that record was pretty good but I've been less and less impressed with them as time's gone by.
But the session was fun because the engineer/producer was the son of Glyn Johns so I got to steal lots of cool recording ideas.
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 2:00 pm

two students i work with said OSU gave away 2,000 tickets (as part of the fees students pay). one said he had 5 extras he couldn't unload for free.

but, to be fair, it was in the basketball arena (surprisingly good sound quality) and it seemed like everyone but me knew the songs, words, etc.

i was just hoping for something more allman brothers-ish & instead got something dashboard confessional-rific.
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 2:26 pm

put simply:
they suck.
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 6:27 pm

Waaaaaaaaaaahhh-ohhhhhhhhh. Your sex is on fieeeeee-ohhh. na na hey hey yer givin' all yer cinammon awayayay
i said
na na HEY HEY
from the dawn of the night to the red morning light...

David LEe Roth thread...
Posted: Sep 26, 2009 2:26 am

Fleet Foxes.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®