Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / MP3 how-to help? Jack Stands?
Posted: Sep 14, 2009 9:44 am

How do I do this? I want to take CDs I've ripped onto my computer and create an MP3 link instead of having to burn CDs for people (can they then burn from that on their own computer?)

My computer maddeningly defaults to iTunes. I've got Windows Media Player, but is there a better music program for PCs?
Posted: Sep 14, 2009 2:01 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Hmmm,

Both iTunes and WMP can be made to rip to mp3 in their settings. You may need to install the mp3 codec. I like foobar2000 better than tunes or wmp, but it's a little tough at first.

If the CDs you've already ripped were ripped to wma or aac or some other shit, there are conversion programs out there that will turn them into mp3s.

To have a link for people to go to will generally be more work than burning CDs.
- You could run a torrent proggie and create torrents for them to download with.
- You could run an http and/or ftp server on your pc
- You could upload to filesharing site
Posted: Sep 14, 2009 6:26 pm

Oh boy. Thanks? I am a total computer dummy--most of that sounds like a foreign language!

Maybe I'll just suck it up and burn the dang CDs. I wish iTunes would stop hogging all my music operations though.
Posted: Sep 14, 2009 11:14 pm

I think I know what you're asking...
You want to share your mp3s with others, so they can download them and make their own cds?

*disclaimer* Sharing certain music files could be considered illegal.

That said,
I use SSSSSSS's second method, "You could run an http and/or ftp server on your pc".

Easiest, though, if you want to package all the mp3s up as a cd, put them in a zip file and upload them to a file sharing site.
Posted: Sep 15, 2009 7:38 pm

I don't have the mp3s yet. I don't know how to make 'em is the problem. Or run an http or ftp server on my pc.

I should probably leave this up to the professionals...
Posted: Sep 15, 2009 7:40 pm

you and me hav the same skillz.
Posted: Sep 15, 2009 11:11 pm

Hopefully this is in plain English, its not as complicated as it seems. really!

In 10 easy steps:

RIP!

1. Insert the CD and close iTunes if it opens automatically

2. Open up Windows Media Player (WMP)

3. In WMP, go to the Rip tab

4. Change/confirm rip settings:
(In my version of WMP there's a little arrow thingy leading to a menu on the highlighted Rip tab, on older versions you may have to go to the Tools > Options menu and select the Rip tab there)
- for Format select 'mp3'
- for Bit Rate select 192 Kbps
(Bit Rate is a personal preference - quality vs. file size)

5. Hit the 'Start Rip' button

6. WMP will by default put the mp3s into your 'My Music' folder, when its all done go there and find them.

ZIP!
(this puts all the mp3s into a nice little package easier to share on the internet)

7. You may already have ZIP capabilities depending on your version of Windows, if not google and download Winzip or WinRAR or 7zip or something and install (you can check if you already have the capability by seeing if you can complete the next step). I use WinRAR.

8. Select all the mp3s for the CD and right-click, there should be an option that says something similar to 'Add to archive...' or 'Create ZIP archive' or somethin.

9. The next steps will differ depending on what program is doing the zipping, but it should be straightforward. In WinRAR I just enter the ZIP filename, select the ZIP format and that's it. By default the ZIP you create will probably be sitting in the same My Music folder.

FLIP!

Now you upload the ZIP file to the internet somewhere where you can send your friends to download it.

I have a friend who sends me records as ZIPs using YouSendIt.com, but there's lots of file-sharing sites out there. Basically all you do is go to a file-share site and fill out their upload form and at the end they'll tell you the link to send people to. I don't really use any myself so I don't have any recommendations, but I'm sure others here can point you in a good direction.

Good luck!
Posted: Sep 15, 2009 11:20 pm

Petey = correct, miss faye.
Posted: Sep 16, 2009 6:50 am

You rock Petey. Steps 1 and 2 alone have made my day.
Posted: Sep 16, 2009 12:55 pm

You can streamline steps one and two by (assuming Win XP) double clicking on My Computer, right clicking on your CD/DVD drive, select Properties, click AutoPlay tab.

Select the Music CD drop down.

From there you can make WMP play cds that are inserted, or RIP cds, just view the files, do nothing, etc.

You can also go with the bottom option which will ask what you want to do every time a disc is inserted.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®