Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / i could never understand the popularity behind these bands...
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 6:00 pm

supertramp and golden earring. i mean, REALLY???
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 6:11 pm

You've never had Radar Love come on the radio while you're drivin down the freeway for a booty call, have ya?

And Supertramp had that electronic football sound in the Logical song, which totally rules...

At least they're both better than A-Ha!
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 8:20 pm

golden earring had KILLER 60s beat pop / psych songs. radar love... uhhhh i dunno.

supertramp, no way.
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 9:13 pm

twilight zone! hbahahaha
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 10:56 pm

Worse... "Loverboy" and "Vinnie Vincent's Invasion"
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 12:09 am

supertramp is awful...i can handle Golden Earring every once in a while..even with the cheese factor, haven't heard that 60's stuff Eric's talking about...but when I was in Haarlem NL, G.E.'s hometown apparently, about ten years back, the club had lifesize cardboard of golden earring at the back of the stage....rock!
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 2:02 am

golden earring is pretty rad. i can do without the supertramp though. "dreamer" gets stuck in my head every now and again and it makes me want to take a melon baller and scoop out that part of my brain responsible for torturing me like that. :P
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 2:10 am

yeah supertramp suck but their songs are really fuckin catchy
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 3:42 am

supertramp, no way.

Dreamer. You stupid little dreamer.

BRING ON THE TUBES!
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 3:48 am

(Fuck a bag of Tubes, by the way; they were responsible for making the bad-to-really-suck "Brent Mydland" period to the worse "Vince Welnick" "Tubes bad songs thoughtcrime" band.
If the Dead suck, it was Brent's fault.
Then worse, it was the Tubes fault.
There is no good reason to listen to the Dead past '77.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 3:57 am | Edited by: bradx

my best friend is a huge dead fan. just saw 'em a couple weeks ago and plays the live cd almost every time we hang out. there is a good reason for me to listen, though, because he will stuff half a gram of bubble hash into his bowl at a time and smoke the whole thing with me while we listen to it. then i pop in whatever i want and we crank that shit. lately its been alot of blue cheer.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 7:38 am

Worse... "Loverboy" and "Vinnie Vincent's Invasion"

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 8:58 am

There is no good reason to listen to the Dead
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 11:49 am

Chunk of Steel! Golden EarringS! on Searching in the Wilderness comp. Genius. They're from The Hague by the way, not Haarlem.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 11:52 am

Recently scored original Vincebus Eruptum lp and Summertime Blues/Out of Focus 7". Plus Grateful Dead_Europe 72 triple lp. All very listenable!
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 1:28 pm

Out of Focus rules!
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 3:05 pm

There is no good reason to listen to the Dead

not even copious amounts of free hash smoking???
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 4:39 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda

yeah, yeah, yeah.......

heart, bob segar, menudo, J.C.melloncamp,compulsive gamblers, Bryan Adams, eric clapton,.......

What's your point?

I thought you understood this, but I'll try it one more time......

If its not the ramones, stooges, or motorhead,

EITHER DON'T LISTEN TO IT, OR STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT IT!
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 5:03 pm

What about Kiss? And The Runaways?
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 5:08 pm

Kansas. And there was zero excuse for Van Halen to increase in popularity with Sammy Hagar singing.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 9:10 pm

Van Halen to increase in popularity with Sammy Hagar singing

no, its the same way the def leppard has gotten more popular since they have made the transistion to the nashville sound. all the chicks in the 80s that were fans are now listening to keeny chessney, so van halen with sammy totally makes sense.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 9:12 pm

What about Kiss?

like ICP, 8 year olds need something to obsesse over.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 1:19 am

Dave Matthews Band

again with this and say whatever you like back to me about it; as far as I'm concerned, DMB is background noise for people who hate music

also don't understand Phish and this godawful Boys Like Girls bullshit
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 1:33 am

phish are another one of those hippy jam bands for people who have taken waaaaay too many drugs. one of the worst in their genre, they play a bunch of notes but no real songs.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 1:52 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Dave Matthews Band

Used to be my all time least favorite. That new Wilco hit puts them on the new bottom, though. They somehow managed to take the worst elements of Tom Petty, Bob Seger and Warren Zevon and combined them to make the shittiest shit of all shitdom.

Sometimes you gotta pay your dues bein' a dumbass who listens to commercial radio.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 2:11 am

this thread really made me want to go back and listen to some supertramp! i never listen to the radio, so im gonna go ahead and do that right now.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 2:15 am

that was painful and i didnt make it through even half a song, but there are some catchy bits in there. frustratingly bad.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 3:17 am

Used to be my all time least favorite. That new Wilco hit puts them on the new bottom, though. They somehow managed to take the worst elements of Tom Petty, Bob Seger and Warren Zevon and combined them to make the shittiest shit of all shitdom.

Fuck man, it's THAT bad?! I actually like Wilco a little bit, but only after seeing them live; didn't click before that. I have no idea what you meant by that last part though. The DMB thing also relates to being shouted at for an hour and a half by some wasted girl in a bar going on about them as if golden manna fell out their asses and/ or mouthes; that doesn't help.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 4:06 am

The commercial radio bit? I listen to it about 40 hours a week. DMB, Wilco, Cage the Elephant, Matisyahu - some of the shit I put up with!
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 8:58 am

Are Wilco in the top 40 these days? The name of their rock-doc "I'm trying to break your heart" pretty much summed it up. He's trying a little "too hard" for my tastes.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 8:59 am | Edited by: ottawarockerdude

Summertime Blues/Out of Focus 7".

one of the best 45s i own. totally rules
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 11:09 am

The name of their rock-doc "I'm trying to break your heart" pretty much summed it up.

That's still a fun flick to watch, even if you're not a fan. In fact, it may be even more enjoyable if you're not.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 1:52 pm

Are Wilco in the top 40 these days?

No top 40, yet. That top 40 shit is wack these days!

So far, Wilco(the Album) has peaked at:

#4 on billboard 200,
#2 on rock albums
#1 Alternative albums
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 1:57 pm

Before that "you Never Know" song came out, I thought of Wilco as fairly tolerable crap that hippies that moved here from the Midwest REALLY loved, but was easy to tune out or ignore. Now I gotta hear that song a couple times a day!
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 2:05 pm

Hard to imagine now, but there was a time when Supertramp was seen as a sorta prog-pop band, if you will. Crime of the Century has some catchy tunes on it and the end part of School is pretty rocking. Not that, ahem, I'd be caught dead listening to them today or anything.

But, yes, Breakfast in America is easily one of the most annoying records ever made. Yuck.

I'm gonna have to go put on some Dyke and the Blazers now to clear my head.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 3:04 pm

I like Supertramp. There, I said it.
Dave Matthews Band makes me cringe. I saw them several times in my Early 20's because of women, and I have not forgiven myself yet.
Jeff Tweedy gets on my fucking nerves too.
Lately for me it has been a lot of NPR and the world Cafe. I have no CD player in the car, nor sound at work. So, the radio my coworker has is pretty much it.
Cage the Elephant. The singer broke a table at the deli when they played there a couple years ago opening for some shit band. There were 10 people there. He was trying to get something going as people had their smokin' turkey sandwiches, etc. I was about to kill the kid.
The song they have on the radio, while catchy, gives me a fucking headache. They do have other songs that are pretty good. They pay me to say this.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 3:44 pm

I prefer Jeff Tweedy to Joe Buddha.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 3:45 pm

i've got a weird affinity for supertramp, probably stemming from my sophmore year at college. my three roomates and I got robbed, leaving one of the guys' older sister feeling sorry for us. she gave us her turntable and all of her old vinyl, mostly consisting of bland and/or goofy AOR and mainstream "New Wave" stuff cicra '76 -'83. there was steely dan's aja, some styx, some bread, alan parsons project, bowie's scary monsters, i think some seger, stevie nicks, fleetwood mac ...and supertramp's breakfast in america. we would get really baked, put this one on and clown it mercilessly. but by the end of side one we'd all secretly be getting into it. I blame the drugs.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 3:48 pm

i can certainly can listen to and even *actually* like some real bullshit, but i've got to say Kansas is pretty fucking useless.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 4:21 pm

Kansas is pretty fucking useless
unless will ferrel is singing dust in the wind at a hobo's funeral
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 7:23 am

golden earring had KILLER 60s beat pop / psych songs. radar love... uhhhh i dunno.

Totally - they had years of good shit, and was "Radar Love" really THAT bad in comparison to so much other shit...and were they ever popular enough to bag on, when they had 2 hits total separated by like 20 years?

Summertime Blues/Out of Focus 7"

Amazing single. "Out of Focus" is just the best.

As for Supertramp, they sucked. But they were kinda funny, too, so over the top and so annoyingly catchy. A little more personality and they'd have reached Hall & Oates level kitsch.
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 12:06 pm

i definitely fuck with some Hall & Oates
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 12:35 pm

I prefer Jeff Tweedy to Joe Buddha.

Thanks Buddy. It feels like some sort of celebrity for being singled out.
But, I mean, I am not sure how to take it. Where is Jeff Tweedy in your list of things that you prefer? I mean, if he is in the top five, then I am sure that the fact that there only a few more things in life that are higher up than me should give me solace. But, if he is in the botom five, then I have some work to do.

And, Stella Artois is shit beer. Seriously. Shit.
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 4:22 pm

supertramp seem so catchy, i cant get dreamer or logical out of my head after this fucking thread. i love the sound of electric piano as an instrument, and with such catchy hooks it seems like a no brainer that i would like them, but i checked out some youtube vids the other night and they are just SO bad. i think i might put those songs on my ipod for a couple days and see if that works to get the motherfuckers out of my head.
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 4:40 pm

Well, the headliners at the big $250/ticket alt-rock fest out here were:

Dave Matthews
Pearl Jism
Black Eyed Peas
Tenacious D
Jason Mraz
Ween
Modest Mouse

how would you like to see that with 80,000 of your closest well-off friends?
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 11:33 pm

Choose your pick any of the whiny, millennial alternarock bands like 3 Doors Down or Nickelback.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 6:20 am

Well, the headliners at the big $250/ticket alt-rock fest out here were:

Dave Matthews
Pearl Jism
Black Eyed Peas
Tenacious D
Jason Mraz
Ween
Modest Mouse

how would you like to see that with 80,000 of your closest well-off friends?

Shoot me.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 8:23 am

I'd rather shave with a cheese grater than go to that concert.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 8:39 am

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 12:05 am

And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
Black Dice
Whitehouse
Yeah Yeah Yeahs

especially that last yin; suffered through them live once and I thought their first hit was a new Alanis Morrissette song- nuff said
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 6:41 am

Scott Rogers enjoys dick lice.
Posted: Sep 4, 2009 5:40 pm

and anal HPV
Posted: Sep 4, 2009 5:51 pm

just like when i find myself eating 7-11 nachos (ie: i know they are awful & i'm gonna hate myself the next day when i can't get that slimy taste out of my mouth) as someone who turned 10 in 1976 i do find myself listening to some commercial schlock and briefly enjoying it because though it's garbage, it's familiar garbage.

that being said, why the fuck are people talking about the almighty BLUE CHEER in this thread?

"one of these things is not like the other"
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®