Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / HAPPY KATRINA ANNIVERERY...THE FIRST FOUR YEARS
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 11:21 am

IT'S AFTER 11 IN THE MORNIN IM IN THE HARDWARE STORE SELLIN PANE AND ICE CHEST FOR THE GAME TOMARROW...IT NEARING THE TIME THE WINDS DIED DOWN AND THE SURGE CAME THROUGH THE FOREST...COUL'NT SLEEP LAST NITE BUT WHEN I DID I HAD A DREEM ABOUT A GERAFFT BREAKING INTO MY FRIDGE...louie
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 11:24 am

...sorry im beeing a hippie and gettin HEAVY ON THE LEVVEE...hope to rock with yall at the fest!!!
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 12:30 pm

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 12:31 pm

You survived it dude!!!! HI 5's all around!!
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 12:46 pm

wow..what an amazing thread Jack!! I just got done reading it..this oughtta be printed out..sell it at Goner : Goners Who Survived Katrina (Non Fiction)
-chris
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 1:30 pm

It still makes me sad 4 years later.
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 2:25 pm

Take a look around this place 4 years later and get more sad.
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 3:12 pm

Here's to you, Staph infection! Miss you lil' buddy.

SALUD!
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 3:35 pm

I wanna go back. Been there once. Had a good time..Die Rotz and Matt Muscle..French Quarter tourists...awesome.
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 5:20 pm

did they ever find alex chilton?
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 5:25 pm

...miss the Dirty Verti....hot sausage po-boys.....turkey necks and chee-wees...Chalmette sluts...Brian Turd.
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 8:39 pm

alex lived!

reread that thread. Whoah.
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 10:17 pm

I reread it too. Woah is right.
I thought about Katrina all day.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 2:22 am

i think this may have been the first time i read it all the way through. crazy. katrina came right on the heels of a bunch of my close friends out here all dying in a caving accident. i was kinda distracted. but, yeah i thought about all that stuff all day today. glad to be alive.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 3:36 am

I ain't got any other words outside of "sorry for the loss", "here's a computer thingy we set up at goner" and "here's a beer". Sorry about the big-screen tv at the Buc at the time, showing all the CNN craziness during the Royal Pendletons' show. Awesomeness in the front, depression in the rear if you were there.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 3:39 am

Anyway, the fambly is coming down there to eat wherever Terry Parkaway is cooking in NOLA next month or October (if he's cooking at all - sorry Shelby County sucked. You had the right idea.).
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 8:58 am

...oh and thanx for memphis takein us in and eatin oysters at ANDERTONS R.I.P.
...spent a lot of time on the back couch of GONER too...
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 8:59 am

GOD i dont know what we would have donr with out GONER!!!
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 9:01 am

man...i remember seeing whole forest full of trees standing sraight and tall...but stripped of there bark!!! look like a peace of unfinished saned furnature...HOW THW FUCK DOES TALK HAPPEN?
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 9:46 am

worst black lips song (i mean worst up until all the sony/ bmg stuff they've been putting out that i havne't heard yet).
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 10:22 am

oh yeah ...THEY DON'T HAVE SLUTS IN THE MET, BRAH!!!
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 10:22 am

AND THE POPE AINT CATHOLICK
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 10:30 am

...HEY AT LEAST WE GOT THE NO HANDED DRUMMER.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 11:49 am

HEY AT LEAST WE GOT THE NO HANDED DRUMMER.

AND he's a lefty??!!! woah!
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 3:11 pm

Katrina hit on my birthday.
I was in San Diego watching CNN with a group of 30 people from NOLA in town for a wedding.
We left on the 31st to fly our respective destinations.
I was heading to memphis, they were heading to Houston.
I told them to give me a shout when they get home.
My best friend looked at me and said "Dude, I don't have a home."
It still bothers me. I still can't understand what it was like.
To all who made it, next time, beers are on me.
To those who didn't, we miss you.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 3:45 pm

exactly. seeing everyone get a plan and work it out while dealing with all the bullshit has been pretty amazing.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 4:06 pm

If any of you Nola fugees and survivors want to make more of a bmmr out of your Monday, Democracy Now had a good show this morning dedicated to NOLA and the Gulf Coast.URL

I just read that goner hurricane thread for the first time and saw that friends were looking for me in the aftermath. Deeply touched.

NOLA FOREVER!
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 5:24 pm

Got that same feeling after we set up the computer lab at Goner and the look on WR's face looking at arial pics of the 9th ward.
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 11:49 pm

seeing everyone get a plan and work it out while dealing with all the bullshit has been pretty amazing.

That was inspiring. I remember multiple friends driving back down during multiple trips to gut and power bleach the mildew and mold while their kids stayed with us in Memphis. One of my pals has just about finished a complete rebuild on his slab and will be living in his home this Fall. I'm proud of everybody that dealt with it and moved forward and didn't use it as an excuse to stay in permanent limbo.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 12:37 pm

It was so surreal. I was in a hotel with a group of people that I would do anything for, realizing that there was nothing I could do but say "I'm Sorry". My best friend's house is on Academy, with his back fence on the canal in Metarie. His house was destroyed. And he found on on CNN.

I'm proud of everybody that dealt with it and moved forward and didn't use it as an excuse to stay in permanent limbo.

I feel the same way. I have some friends who are still in temp housing, but they are moving forward, slowly but surely. In our lifetime, we will probably never see anything like this again. I have so many stories that I can't even comprehend living through, even less being able to look back on as a building experience. Asolutely amazing.

If it's not obvious, I love that city.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 10:37 pm

Thanks for posting, Joe Buddha. I feel the same way, but I'm kind of embarrassed to get all gushy because...well, just because.
Though, I really would like to get that way about it.
I had friends from NOLA here in Memphis for a wedding that weekend. They had packed a bag for the weekend, and I was utterly floored to see what was happening to them. I said, "Well, when do you think you're leaving?" and I'll never forget her saying, "We just don't know, we just don't know if we'll ever be able to get back."
Indeed, they spent the next two or three months here. We went to Catholic Charities to get them clothes, and I wound up doing some volunteer work there...sorting, and sorting, and more sorting. I was very proud of Memphis and the Goners then...I felt like we all stepped up, unlike our fucking government.

I went to NOLA and Biloxi (have good friends there that lived a quarter mile from the beach...they're still rebuilding and were screwed by their "insurance"....lived in a FEMA trailer in their driveway for more than a year) 13 months after the storm and spent four days in SHOCK. I can't imagine what it would have actually been like if I'd LIVED there. I also got real, real mad when I saw the 9th Ward. What we (as in the government we) didn't do was disgraceful.

It really has stayed with me. Louie's story is just unbelievable to me, as are hundreds of stories I've heard since.
I spent all last weekend thinking about Katrina. Makes me so, so sad...but at the same time so in awe of the resilence of the residents of the Gulf Coast.
Hell, yeah...NOLA (and Biloxi, and Pass Christian, and etc.) FOREVER! I'm going back at the end of September, and I can't wait!
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 9:14 am

It was my pleasure Alisa. It really was.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®