Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / District 9
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 11:28 pm

Too many secrets in District 9. Too many very convenient secrets . . .
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 11:53 am

it was ok...
def. not all that.
kinda boring at times and the jangly
handheld filming style kninda made me sick.
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 1:00 pm

i liked it.
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 4:47 pm

def. not all that.

for my birthday i'm taking the day off friday and being a slug, which includes a matinee of district 9. i assume its "all that" for smuggling in whiskey and eating shitty movie store hot dogs. prove me wrong.
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 6:37 pm

Just saw it. Liked it a lot.
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 6:52 pm

Went and saw it today and liked it a lot.

I turned to my son about a third of the way through and asked when it became animated. He gave me the "what in the hell are you talking about look."

Halfway through, still no animation. Ask him one more time. He tells me to shut up. Then i started thinking to myself, " Tim Burton is really taking a detour from his normal work." But what the hell, maybe he's going in a different direction.

Credits roll. Never any animation. Walk out and told my son that the movie was nothing like i thought it would be, mainly because i thought it was animated. About that time, we walk past the poster for "9" which was what i thought we saw. I say "see, the poster has animation!"

He then explains to me that they are different movies, to which i respond, "well, what in the hell did we just watch?"

I never heard of "District 9" before today.

With all that being said, i enjoyed it.

Can't wait till "9" comes out. Next month. Animated.
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 7:23 pm

You're an idiot.
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 7:23 pm

District 9 was awesome!
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 9:12 pm

i thought it was ok. i could've waited for the dvd.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 5:20 am

smoke machines scott, smoke machines.
please deliver to the buccaneer august 29th.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 9:12 am

I dug it. It is not a masterpiece but it was entertaining enough. Basically it's a good action flick with an interesting premise, an original setting, and thankfully it wasn't as completely stupid as most recent movies.

After a summer that brought us Terminator Salvation, Transformers 2 and G.I. Joe, it does look like a masterpiece by comparison, however. I hope it makes a billion dollars, just to give Hollywood the middle finger.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 9:23 am

Very "Alien Nation" in concept. Very "Hotel Rwanda" in commentary.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 9:24 am | Edited by: Janderass

After a summer that brought us Terminator Salvation, Transformers 2 and G.I. Joe, it does look like a masterpiece by comparison, however.

True enough, although I hate that this is where the bar is now set. I think D9 could have been a classic had they put more effort into creating a more solid story line. So many immediately obvious holes. Somebody wanna tell me what the hell the alien cobbled together a bomb with in the bio lab while under intense fire to help them to escape to the car park on the other side of the wall 4 stories underground? And Nigerians?!?? Sure they're fun characters to vilify, but Nigeria is 3000 miles from Johannesburg! Have the Nigerians really overrun all of Africa? Maybe.

It was fun though, I would go see it at the theater again in fact, just saying it could have been so much better.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 9:24 am

smoke machines scott, smoke machines.
please deliver to the buccaneer august 29th.

Blow that smoke out yer ass. Gimme a call when you're on your way.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 9:48 am

Sure they're fun characters to vilify, but Nigeria is 3000 miles from Johannesburg! Have the Nigerians really overrun all of Africa? Maybe

im not sure this is a valid argument seeing as there are plenty of pockets of varying nationalities in most big cities.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 9:55 am

insert

"you're a pocket of varying nationalities"

joke here.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 9:57 am

I'd buy that, I guess. It's not my biggest gripe, just a funny thing. Nigerians do "African Villain" on lock though.

I think because of the pace of the film (which was my favorite thing about it) a whole lot of shortcuts were necessitated.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 9:58 am

"you're a pocket of varying nationalities"

Oh, right. Thanks Eric.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 9:59 am

After a summer that brought us Terminator Salvation, Transformers 2 and G.I. Joe, it does look like a masterpiece by comparison,

agreed.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 11:03 am

agreed.

You're just jealous you didn't get cast for Destro.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 11:11 am

Somebody wanna tell me what the hell the alien cobbled together a bomb with in the bio lab while under intense fire to help them to escape to the car park on the other side of the wall 4 stories underground?

A stockpile of alien weaponry that the humans didn't know how/weren't able to operate.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 11:59 am

Did they have weapons in there? I thought that was the autopsy room where they were keeping the fluid.

Maybe I missed something, I was in the back of my truck with weed and beers.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 12:40 pm

stop with the spoilers already ya fuckers
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 3:42 pm

Saw it this weekend. I don't think you go into this movie already having a weird day. It just fucks you up worse. I thought it was great. Probably need to check it out again with a clear mind.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 5:43 pm

I don't think you go into this movie already having a weird day.
thats what i always say about true stories
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 5:45 pm

true stories
the movie
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 7:11 pm

Good film.
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 1:59 am

I want one of those trucks with the cheetah spots
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 10:35 am

Did they have weapons in there? I thought that was the autopsy room where they were keeping the fluid.

And a stockpile of alien weapons.
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 4:47 pm | Edited by: Dave B

SPOILER

LOVED IT. But why didn't they just kill the Nigerians and take the cat food?
Posted: Aug 23, 2009 12:22 am

Saw it FINALLY. I thought it was great. So when is District 10 coming out?

As far as the Nigerians, I figured they had a bad rap from all the internet scams lately, so the movie folk just made them the assholes w/ the crack/cat food.

Jerry D - there was also a trailer for 9, which was the first thing I've heard about it besides your post, and I kept getting tickled throughout the movie thinking how confused you must have been waiting for the little zipper guy to make an appearance.
Posted: Aug 23, 2009 12:32 am

Possibly SPOILER related

I've been checking my fingernails all day making sure they were firmly attached.
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 5:03 pm | Edited by: deadcityrebel

i really dug this one. i'm glad it wasn't the typical aliens come down, americans kick their ass, aliens go away movie. i didn't mind the "plot holes", it felt like i was supposed to be ignorant of inside information. never felt lost. i also don't mind having to think during movies. and i'm interested in seeing a sequel. will the main alien guy get shit from his superiors in trying to go back and save his folks? will he be able to return whats his name to normal? will whats his name go into space with all the other prauns? will the aliens come back and want to fight because their amigos got dissected? tons of things they could do with a sequel i think

i don't think i'm spoiling this for anyone since i'm probably the last person to see it.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®