wait - what?!?!
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 3:43 pm

The guy from Iron Maiden? RIP.
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 4:35 pm

the guy sitting next to Keith
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Damn.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 5:51 am

??? the father of the north ms allstars?
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 7:55 am

??? the father of the north ms allstars?

The father of inspiration and cool.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 8:07 am | Edited by: Rich Balls

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=35628 182&blogId=505940333\

JIM DICKINSON

R.I.P.

- epitaph -

I'm just dead, I'm not gone.

Jim Dickinson was the inspiration, creator, protector, and an esteemed member of Panther Burns. Jim was always there for me personally as a supporter and a guiding force long before I ever picked up a guitar, and he stood behind my efforts right up to the end - revealing in his taciturn, yet expansive way the mystery of what it is to be an artist. You are hardly gone, JIM. Your presence will remain eternally with us and with those who are listening to the echoes of your battle cry,
Power to the People .

- tav

P.B.F.L.
Panther Burns Forever Lasting
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 8:53 am

the guy of penned "Uptight Tonight"?
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 9:10 am

holy crap....what is up this year?! jesus christ.

RIP.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 10:29 am

Another icon gone. Unfortunately, we must get used to it. Rock and Roll is in the autumn of its life. The pioneers are all in their 70s and 80's and they will be passing more frequently.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 3:09 pm

SAD monday red beans will BE IN HIS HONOR!!!!
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 1:11 pm

rock and roll is in the autumn of it's life. Wow that just sounds so creepy...Like the Patrick Swaysie Christmass Joke that's been goin around...anyways...i'm just glad that we don't have autumn in new orleans...but God does love us that he gave us not one but two shrimp seasons!!!
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 7:18 pm

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 1:39 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

A global legend and under-acknowledged Mid-South luminarie has passed. RIP. My condolences to family and friends. Hopefully his legacy finally gets it's deserved recognition.
Posted: Aug 19, 2009 2:44 pm

Great piece here by Chuck Prophet:

http://chuckprophet.com/blog/
Posted: Aug 21, 2009 6:49 am

Yeah, this was shit news. One of the people who first brought Memphis to my (fascinated) attention, many years ago.
Posted: Aug 21, 2009 8:41 am

R.I.P.

Let's all get Dixie Fried!
Posted: Aug 21, 2009 10:00 am

Great piece here by Chuck Prophet:

http://chuckprophet.com/blog/

That was great...Thanks Jeremy
Posted: Aug 21, 2009 12:13 pm

http://joenickp.blogspot.com/2009/08/james-luther-dickinson.html

And still more great stuff, in Dickinson's words.
Amazing.
Posted: Aug 21, 2009 4:15 pm

Jim Dickinson tribute in progress on WFMU. I assume you'll be able to listen to the whole thing once it enters the archives.
http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/shows/32660
Posted: Aug 21, 2009 5:03 pm

I swear, as a Memphian and all that entails, that piece I posted is the greatest thing I've ever read about Memphis music, race, and the "Memphis thing." I've been trying to put my finger on it for many years, and finally feel like someone explained it.
Please read it.
It makes me really, really sad that someone who absolutely KNEW has passed.
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 11:02 am

FYI, in case you missed the 2-hour JD tribute on WEVL w/Jeff Evans and Ross Johnson, it will replay Friday noon - 2 CDT at 89.9 FM and wevl.org.
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm

someone explained it.

thanks for the link Alisa. interesting and lots to say about race relations in dem early days, and country days, and soul music days

as a non-Memphian, I got a lot of 'splaining from the Robert Gordon book.

race relations growing up in Detroit were way different than the South, I think, but a lot of that stuff in Joe Nick's recount rang a bell.
it's definitely a USA thing
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 4:12 pm

I loved the Robert Gordon book. I need to read it again.

I always got the impression that Detroit was kind of the Memphis of the north.
That, and Buffalo. I'm sure it was a whole nother thing than Memphis, though.
But yeah...I think if you grew up anywhere east of the Mississippi then you probably could relate on some level.
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 5:37 pm

I think if you grew up anywhere east of the Mississippi then you probably could relate on some level.

or at least around the mississippi river corridor
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 4:19 pm

it's cool what he said about the difference between the Delta and the Hill Country.

Detroit & Memphis share being intensely musical cities, where everybody was into everything (as JD points out), no matter "white" or "black".

a lot of change happened in Detroit because of the '67 riots, I guess Memphis never underwent that kind of thing.
"white flight" took Motown down

I can tell you one thing, now that I live out west --- the Midwest is truly unique, music-wise. I wonder if it's those mounds the native americans built?
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 5:34 pm

I guess Memphis never underwent that kind of thing.
mlk assasination kinda changed a bunch of stuff, i think a lot of things went internal though. more seething.
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 8:16 pm

mlk assasination kinda changed a bunch of stuff, i think a lot of things went internal though. more seething.

Watch the Stax documentary for more on this.
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 11:38 pm

Just remembering how lucky I was to do a Memphis Heritage Festival gig with Jeff Evans- we had a great combo with Dan Brown, Ron Franklin, Ross Johnson, myself and Texacala Jones. Backstage I was fortunate to talk with Jim Dickinson- he had a very unusual harmonica so I had to ask him about it. He had done a set (I only saw a little bit of it) with the Reigning Sound backing him up.
Also, backstage was the Billy Lee Riley- he looked great with cool shoes and his hair just right. I didn't talk with him- I was too timid- even though I have his Funk Harmonica record, but I didn't- but just being in the room with him was awesome.
They are gone- and reading about both men and their music is the tonic I need.
Walter
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 11:34 am

Last time I saw Billy Lee Riley was at the CFSF Heritage Fest. Dickinson was playing piano with him. It was insanely great.

The MLK assasination really did change things. Downtown was a ghost town for many years after that.
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 12:09 pm

You didn't miss anything Walter, PA wasn't working. Maybe one of our worst gigs. Jim was visibly irritated. Prior two engagements playing with Jim were out-of-sight though! At a show Robert Gordon(writer) put together we did a set with Jim where we also played with BB Cunningham. Before Jim came up and played with us we did a Lawson And Four More cover from the single Jim wrote both sides of. we did the B-Side "If you want me, You can find me" which is way more freaked-out than the poppier A-Side that had gotten decent airplay back in the day. Jim came up laughing and said "you played the wrong side!" Nope, I said. We played the best side! Still laughing he said"yeah, maybe you did!" What a character he was, wish i had gotten to know him better before I left town. Billy Lee was such a cool guy and continued to make good records up into the 90's. He used to come into sun pretty often when i was working there and he was very approachable for fans. Sue Millions was tellin me that when she worked at the vintage(junk) store Eddie World, Billy came in one afternoon with a pile of records and memorabilia he was lookin' to sell so he could get his car fixed.They couldn't pay much but he was happy to get it. Sad for a legend to be humbled into that position. He deserves bigger recognition for his late 60's stuff than he ever got. I later got the copy of the "live at the hawks nest" LP , which he autographed that day, off'a Eddie when he brought in a big pile of records he was selling to my store. I was so glad to get it. That's a tough LP! Sad that both of these guys are gone but their music is still VITAL as ever!
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 12:23 pm

Yeah it's kinda inaccurate to say Memphis didn't burn. Hell, the national guard were already in the streets before MLK even hit town. It's been pointed out to me by my parents where rioting in certain parts of town did lead to fires, thankfully it didn't spread though and that may very well be on account of it happening in Memphis. God knows tensions were high as the garbage strike already had people fuming. It surely did polarize the town though. Sadly it can be felt to an extent, to this very day.
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 4:55 pm

Just want to say, again

I can NOT understand why everybody's so proud of that preserved assassination site

altho I do understand significance of the Lorraine Motel
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 6:40 pm

maybe if you constantly remind people with the idea that assassinating a non-violent protester is morally and ethically despicable, then it will cause people to reflect on the poignancy of that particular protest?
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 6:47 pm

Hey Greg, found this on the interweb while looking for the release date...

"Despite some rumors, the singles 'Goin' To The River' / 'Let Me Tell You Baby' (Athens A-45-204, 196?/Checker 1070, 1964) and 'Wasted' / 'Greasy Spoon' (Hermitage H-45-814, 1962) issued as by Bill & Will apparently don't feature Billy Lee Riley. The both sides of Athens/Chess 45 are written by Riley-Sasser-Willis, who are actually Nashville songwriters Robert Stantley Riley, William W. Sasser Jr, and Jerry Leon Willis. 'Wasted' is written by Herb Ryals and 'Greasy Spoon' by William W. Sasser Jr-Randy Brimberry-Jerry Leon Willis. It's not yet identified who are really behind these records."
Still a total bad ass record! Thanks
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 7:27 pm

Thanks, Sounds like a white guy for sure though.Would be cool to know who it really is. What a great record.
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 12:22 pm

FYI, in case you missed the 2-hour JD tribute on WEVL w/Jeff Evans and Ross Johnson, it will replay Friday noon - 2 CDT at 89.9 FM and wevl.org.

i.e, right now. . .
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 4:49 pm

Initially, I was not too thrilled about the preservation of the Lorraine Motel, and the assasination site. Since then, I've changed my mind. I have heard so many people talk about what a moving place the National Civil Rights Museum is. And, it does make me kind of conversely proud that we took such a horrible place, and made it into something that explains (to the best of its ability) and honors the reason it's a museum in the first place.
I have never been able to go in there, though. I still stand in the parking lot...where the Cadillacs are preserved in their parking places and there is a wreath on the door...and cry. I can't imagine how much I would embarrass myself, and everyone in there, if I was to actually go in.

That said, me and The Driver and the chairman of the bored went down there one Gonerfest morning, just to show them where it was (they're Canadian.) We were all totally flummoxed to see some foreign tourists standing in front of the Caddys smiling and posing to beat the band! Like they were in front of Sun Studios or something! It was really weird.
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 7:30 pm

Parts of that were in the Scorcese Road to Memphis, the best of the series, which I taped like a dork and glad I did.

Also Gimme Shelter, which AMC showed uncut and uninterrupted, showed him laying on the floor next to Keith listening to the playback of Wild horses. Taped that too.

Great piece. Wish I grew up in Memphis.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 9:17 pm

The both sides of Athens/Chess 45 are written by Riley-Sasser-Willis, who are actually Nashville songwriters Robert Stantley Riley, William W. Sasser Jr, and Jerry Leon Willis.

According the liner notes of "Chess Rarities 1947-66", this is same Robert S. Riley who wrote The Prisonaires' "Just Walking In The Rain".
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®