Goner Message Board / ???? / RIP Rashied Ali
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 9:48 am

Gone off to interstellar space...

http://www.rashiedali.org/index.php?id=24
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 10:02 am

RIP
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 10:09 am

R.I.P.

got to party with him in nyc a couple years ago. shared a j with gerard melanga there too. meeting rashied was freakier though.
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 10:46 am

FUUUUUUUUUUCK.

R.I.P.
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 10:55 am

Bad news.
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 10:57 am

RIP

"Interstellar space" is the greatest of all time free jazz elpee
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 11:23 am

Earlier this year I finally dropped the cash for an original of Rashied's "Duo Exchange" with Frank Lowe and it was worth every penny. Holy smokes.

Another killer disc from later in his life is "Touchin' on Trane", with Charles Gayle and William Parker (a.k.a. By Any Means). I'm grateful to have heard many heavy gigs from them over the years. I recall one show at The Cooler, where the pot smoke was very heavy in the air. As he took the stage, he sat down at the kit, sniffed his nose a little bit, then took a deep, deep breath and let out a big laugh.

RIP, man. See you soon.
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 11:24 am

^ not too soon.
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 11:58 am

RIP. What a drummer.
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 12:12 pm

shoot.
nice guy too
he didn't play outside of NYC enough
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 1:08 pm

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 4:17 pm

My favorite Rashied Ali story was when he was recording that album with Rudolph Grey. They wanted to try one more number but Rashied had already put his sticks in his stick bag and zippered it. "Sorry man," he said "I'm already packed up!" RIP.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®