Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / who turned you into good music?
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 8:28 am

-a cool record dealer turned me into the early Cramps, then the Knoxville Girls, the Cheater Slicks etc.
-a guy I met -who became a very good friend- turned me into 60s rock&roll (question mark, the chocolate watchband...)
-Evert Nijkamp of grunnerocks brought me into russell quan & mick collins stuff
-Judah Bauer himself told me about the Reigning Sound's Time Bomb Hi School record... he said it was the best record he heard in years ; I trust him...
these are the people who saved me from the usual crap; thanks a bunch to them!
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 8:56 am

what kind of stupid hippie bullshit thinking believes people can turn into music?
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 9:08 am

you're a treble clef.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 9:26 am

Go palm mute yourself.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 9:27 am

You're a double pick.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 9:28 am

ha
ok; people who turned you onto good music
...i too close to the o
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 9:29 am

-Judah Bauer himself told me about the Reigning Sound's Time Bomb Hi School record... he said it was the best record he heard in years ; I trust him...

Ned bait!
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 9:45 am

ned is a beautiful melodeeeee.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 9:47 am

michael baker is an f-hole.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 10:16 am

I'm a bit flat this morning, I think I can attribute that to my wife for waking me up early.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 10:24 am

Nobody has, yet. I have been resisting for a long time.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 10:53 am

well you should try, at least once ; it may change your life... & save space in your flat
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 10:56 am

I once thought I was turning into an Eat and Park sign after a Grateful Dead show. This is a true story.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 11:51 am

The Driver knows me too well. Judah only has Bob DylaN bootlegs at his place. He literally knows nothing about music as evidenced by his RS comment. Great dude and guitar player though!
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 12:13 pm

I'm a "tasty lick"
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 12:18 pm

I worked at Rounder records during the late 80's and early 90's. They had a distribution company and a mailorder company which had just about every record you could ever dream of, and a bunch of compulsive music hounds working there to inform a person about any type of music. It was the one great thing about working there. I worked in an office with JJ Rassler from DMZ and he was my main source of RNR knowledge at that time, although the exotica and lounge records usually came out at the vodka parties at his pad. To his credit, he's been sober now for over 20 years....still, those were some good times. He was the first person I met with an amazing collection of 45's.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 1:16 pm

There was an English dude who was painting my house in 1977. He would get the NME and Melody Maker every week and give them to me when he was done. That's how I learned about stuff like Subway Sect and ordered their record by mail from England. Nobody else in NY had it. I learned a lot from magazines back in the 70's. Lester Bangs turned me on to a lot of stuff- Velvets, Stooges, Reggae (his 2 part trip to Jamaica article in Creem was hilarious), UK/LA Punk, No Wave, Jazz, Minimalism-him and the Max's Kansas City jukebox.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 1:29 pm

First: Dad and Uncle Ric
Second: Bill Callahan, Scott Taylor, Shane Clark, Lisa Owens and Geoff Marsh
Third: Jill Simpson, Lee Gardner, Jay Nations, Todd Steed, Jon Wallace and Jon Tillson, Eric Friedl
Fourth: Marc Weinstein, Lucija Kordic, Jon Arnold, Jon Fellman, Bob McDonald, Steve Shiotsu
Five: Bob McCluskey
Six: Andy Earles, Glenn Danas, Dave Dunlap, Joe Machamer

At some point in there, it was all sort of mutual.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 1:51 pm

Robin Seymour of "Swingin' Time", Scott Regen of Keener 13, Dave Dixon & Bob Rudnick of WABX.
Cerphe, David Einstein and even Weasel of WHFS.
Lester Bangs woke me up to the fact that free jazz & punk rock had lots in common, and garage rock ruled.
the Public Library loaned me Charlie Parker records.
Reading NME and even NY Rocker. Did not like Melody Maker!
My sis, starting with "Johnny Angel" moving onto "Kick Out the Jams" and ending with Coltrane and Bob Marley.

and then it was all sort of mutual.
once I got the $ to buy my own records, and used record stores in abundance, could really go nuts

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR ALL THE GREAT SOUNDS!!!!
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 2:11 pm

There have been many foxy ladies that have turned me on, to good music.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 2:27 pm

grew up on Beatles, Beach Boys, Bee Gee's, Queen, Abba, Charlie Dorr. Later on in my "musical" life I discovered Swedish Alpine yodeling and fell in love.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 2:40 pm

I did a radio show Saturday mornings from 2-6AM at WTUL in New Orleans for a full year. WTUL has a great collection of vinyl. I listened to a lot of it through trial and error.

Also, Matt Hanks helped me out quite a bit. He worked at Autotonic in the mid-to-late 90s.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 2:57 pm

Mom's surf albums (first song I ever remember is Church Key - we were living in Orange County then)

Mom's Beatles albums

Dad's country, folk, and jazz records

A guy named Dave Legacy, who played me Marquee Moon for the first time

In the late 70s I borrowed two records from my Uncle Don and put them both on a 90-minute tape. Al Green - Let's Stay Together and Toots and the Maytals - Funky Kingston. That was a life-changer.

Critics - Trouser Press, Steve Simels' reviews, Rolling Stone Record Guide (for better or worse)

My ex-roommate Mark in SF

Various folks at Streetlight, including Weinstein and Steve Shaw at the Market St. store

In Austin: My ex-bandmate Kels, Charlie Burton, Dominic, all sorts of KOOP DJs, especially Scott (garage) and Jay (lounge), Roger Morgan, weird Richard

Last decade: Eddie Hankins, John Floyd, John Beifuss, and especially Dr. Ike
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 5:19 pm

me and windy would stay up and listen to david the worms modern music show and tape the songs we liked off the radio. once my dad told us that we were getting ripped of by pop music nowadays, so i started looking else where.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 5:38 pm

my dad had some surf and garage records, mostly stuff they play on oldies radio.

a friend of mine had some old comps from his dad with a bunch of good stuff on them, sex pistols, cramps, 80s punk etc.

mostly though it was my dad's neighbor, who had a band that played only originals and 60s garage covers. he let me tape his records, and thats where i heard KBD, BFTG, etc. i also ended up joining their band. i was 15 at the time.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 6:56 pm | Edited by: dont wanna be a fat boy

Earl, who owned his own record shop in Jefferson City. It was at his place where I heard Can, Graham Bond, The Sweet, The Stranglers and all manner of things, starting when I was about 10. Earl's the same guy I later traded some records with for my ARP Odyssey.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 7:08 pm

Other than Ma & Pa's CCR, Beatles, Buddy Holly & Beach Boys records, I just read and tried shit out. I was out in the middle of nowhere, and there was no one listening to anything beyond "the hits" around.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 7:24 pm

me and windy would stay up and listen to david the worms modern music show and tape the songs we liked off the radio. once my dad told us that we were getting ripped of by pop music nowadays, so i started looking else where.

yes

also, dad was all about listening to old country music and 50's rock and roll and referring to that as "real music" - which I liked but still listened to the new wave, synth pop stuff.

My high school years were spent listening to the AM oldies soul station as my car couldn't pick up FM. It was Oldies Soul or Sports Talk 7900...

Then, DCR would make me listen to stuff that held no appeal for me, but was in the back of my mind, then DCR started going to shows and telling me about them

Finally I started venturing out to see live music (not great stuff, but live) and realizing that I liked the loud and fast more live than recorded.

Also have to give props to the Scott Rogers/DCR tag team who would tell me about shows and bands and records to buy or listen to and then tell me to call the other one and ask them to verify the greatness of said band.

And all the people I've met in bands coming through Memphis that tell me about other bands, or that bring along a band I hadn't heard of and liked
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 7:26 pm

Also have to give props to the Scott Rogers/DCR tag team who would tell me about shows and bands and records to buy or listen to and then tell me to call the other one and ask them to verify the greatness of said band.

so no one has turned you into great music yet
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 7:26 pm

Scott Rogers/DCR tag team

somebody make a joke.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 7:27 pm

bam
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 7:37 pm

somebody make a joke.
*crickets chirping*
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 9:22 pm

Thrasher magazine
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 3:16 am

my dad has pretty good taste in music (for the most part) and is like this walking music encyclopedia from the late 60s to mid70s. my mom got me into joan jett and blondie.

i've always loved to do research and i just kinda wander on in to good stuff. internets help with that a bit too. i just start doing searches and checking shit out to see if i like it or not. hear some good stuff; hear a lot of crap.
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 4:15 am

i HATE niggers.
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 11:12 am

"Various folks at Streetlight, including Weinstein and Steve Shaw at the Market St. store "

I could also say every former Streetlight employee poached by Marc to work at the original Amoeba where I worked. That could mean Shiotsu and Kent R., but I forget so many others names! Tom something who was a Britpop fanatic with the tiny studio apartment that was floor to ceiling LPs. He sold the entire collection to move to the UK, THANKS TOM! Also, I want to say his name was Steve, an older guy with glasses who was an Amoeba buyer.

I loved how Amoeba basically stole nearly every good employee from Streetlight and Rasputins when they opened up.

Oh yeah, the Mod Lang guys were snobby, but definitely sold me some good records, as did Eric now of Mississippi but formerly of some east bay store...what was it called?
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 11:17 am

WAYNE COYNER (The Underground, Las Vegas)
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 11:30 am

Older siblings are always good for sharing stuff, and when I was in fifth grade my sister made this tape that had stuff ranging from the Doors to Elvis Costello. I wore that thing out.

I also have to give some credit to regular radio programming. I used to fall asleep at night with my walkman on the radio station, and one time I woke up in the middle of the night to Iron Man by Sabbath. It freaked me out when I was a kid.

Later I started skateboarding, and friends I met through that turned me on to punk music and other I guess "indie" stuff. I bought all the Pavement albums after I heard a song on a skate video. The videos always had cool music.

Finally, after trying to do a "77 punk" type band with some friends I met DCR. He gave me a Clone Defects cd.

I still stumble onto new stuff I like all the time through public radio, internet, or whatever. I've learned that there are some people out there who are satisfied to just listen to whatever is playing on the radio...and they don't dig any deeper than that. TO them that is all the music that exists or needs to exist. I was just never satisfied...always wanting to hear that new thing.
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 4:08 am

internet is great, but leaves no memory about turning you on to a great artist/band ; will anybody ever say "well I bought that great record thanks to thatshit dot com"?
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 9:19 am

Folks who've turned me on to some great stuff...Eric, Jack, Kurt from the Woggles, Wally(what was the name of the store he used to run over by MSU?), and even though he was usually a jerk, my interest in the hunt for vinyl was fueled by digging through Randy Renke's records.
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 9:29 am

When I was little...Jack Parnell, George Klein, Jon Scott...basically all of the AM DJs on WHBQ and WMPS and later WMC FM100 back in the early FM days.
Also my older brother and sister and later, Greg Roberson.
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 10:36 am

my dad's car racing albums taught me that albums could have all kinds of fun nasty noise on 'em. he bought my mom a sparks record every year even though she didn't like 'em- i learned that music can be quirky, cool, funny, and a little cruel. and his four freshmen and four preps records showed me that four white guys with crewcuts and varsity sweaters on the cover of an album usually means it sucks.

crappy top 40 radio and AOR rock DJs made me look for anything else to listen to. Thanks to my best friend's uncle for bringing the new wave and James Cribley and assorted punks for sharing the black flag cassettes in their walkmen in high school. breakin' hawaii for turning me onto electro songs i'm still finding. bill chen and kathy tryce for ridiculing everything that I thought was good and forcing me to listen to actual good, crazy music. And then Richard Martin proving that it's all good again. Classix Nouveau forever!
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 10:51 am

Slayer is the Alpha and Omega of my musical appreciation.
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 11:22 am | Edited by: sixelsix

Growing up listening to the radio in Philadelphia in the 80s, there were several people who were 60s and 70s holdovers still on the air people like Jerry Blavat (who's still going), Harvey Holliday, Ed Sciaky, T. Morgan, etc. Learned a lot from them.

There was this one guy in particular named Rick Allen, who had an overnight show on one of the classic rock stations. He was responsible for something he called "The Ricky Mess." The last hour was what he referred to as the 5'O Clock Compromise, where he played pretty much the same boring crap you could hear during the day on that station. 2 5, though, he pretty much played whatever the hell he wanted. Which included everything from Captain Beefheart to Badfinger album tracks (at a time when their albums were rather hard to find) to Jamie Brockett's "Legend of the U.S.S. Titanic" to Long John Baldry to Screaming Jay's "Constipation Blues" to then-new bands the station would not normally touch with a fifty-foot pole. And sometimes, he'd get into these rants in-between which made me wonder whether or not management ever listened in or was even aware of what was going down in the control room during those hours. A big influence on my WEVL show, for what it's worth.
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 11:37 am

oh, forgot Dr Demento. The first time I got to hear weird, wrong music on commercial radio. Jah bless him.
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 12:58 pm

leaves no memory about turning you on

internet is better for finding info on what you already dig, and then finding more of the same

for example, I found out about that live Gene Chandler rekkid right here on the Goner board
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 1:45 pm

Corith:
The HayLoft Frollic/Buddy Bain
JC "Honeyboy" Hill
Theo Community Center

Memphis:
Davis M., Jenny H., Mark K., Ron H., Bobby S., Monty R., Kerri G., Mike D., and all the people I hope to see at the Antenna Reunion

Lastly, my husband Danny
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 2:53 pm

oh, forgot Dr Demento

Man, I used to sit up on Sunday nights with my tape recorder waiting get a song that I hadn't heard before. There was one song that he played called "Cows" (I think). Anyways, some friends of mine did a lip synch interpretation of the song at the 8th grade talent show. I just remembered the line "I like Cows, they got skinny feet. I like Cows, they go moo when they eat." I am sure someone knows who this is, but I have never figured it out. Of Course, I haven't actually tried that hard.

I had a friend in grade school who had older siblings who were into DRI, Circle Jerks, The Cramps, The replacements and various other bands. So, we would steal their records and listen to them. My brother and his friends were all into Zeppelin, etc, so I got a lot of that too.

In High School my cousin married a guy who was a music freak. When I would come to Pennsylvania to visit, we would make day trips to Pittsburgh to Eide's and would just dig through CD's and records looking for gems. Whenever I hear Alice Donut I think of him.
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 5:59 pm

Psychotronic Video (RIP) columnists Art Black and Dale Ashmun
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 6:08 pm

I used to buy stacks of 70s Creem mags at Memphis Comics and Records when I was in HS and the review sections of those turned me onto a buncha cool shit...
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 6:12 pm

I used to cream into stacks of 70s mags at Goner records when I was in HS and the picture sections turned me on.
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 7:22 pm

michael baker is an f-hole.

yes,but i have big star video. still looking, mr drunk and unemployed?
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 10:40 pm | Edited by: Rich Balls

The guys at Car City Records and Record Graveyard - Norton and Sympathy Records.
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 10:43 pm

-My mom
-My cousin Paul
-college/public radio
-Creem and Trouser Press
-Liner notes and thank you list

So many years ago. Now it's my job to point my kids in the right direction.
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 2:07 pm

I have a CD of songs I dig that my sister made for me. They are redone as childrens tunes. There are some clunkers, such as, who would do a children's version of "Sober" by tool. But, there are some Bob Marley Tunes and a Sugar song on there that are pretty good. My kid's first CD.
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 2:10 pm

Sympathy Records.

That explains everything.
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 3:36 pm

I am sure someone knows who this is

I believe that's Cows by the Suburbs, an 80s band from Minneapolis

"I like cows and they like me"
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 3:57 pm

WAYNE COYNER (The Underground, Las Vegas)
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 4:06 pm

My father was in a Doo Wop band in the late 50's on Kilik and Ember-2 of the best Doo Wop labels. My parents best friend Doug was in The Fabulous Fahrquar (a great band) on Verve at the same time as The VU and Mothers. My Godfather was Baba Lou-one of the great WCBS AM DJ's of the early-mid 60's (he discovered The Shangri La's and was the first DJ to play The White Album in The US. Later went on to pioneer NYC FM radio as well. So I was always surrounded by good music from the time I was born. I don't know how I ended up this way though.
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 5:36 pm

I've never actually "turned into" good music but one time I shrunk down to two inches high and found myself INSIDE Ric Ocasek's guitar, looking out at the audience during that 79 Candy-O tour. It was weird.

I think psychedelics may have been involved.
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 6:48 pm

Sympathy Records.

That explains everything

Reptilian Records - that also explains everything.
Posted: Aug 22, 2009 2:39 am

I've never actually "turned into" good music but one time I shrunk down to two inches high and found myself INSIDE Ric Ocasek's guitar, looking out at the audience during that 79 Candy-O tour. It was weird.

I think psychedelics may have been involved.

Where's that Goner best post of the week thing now? A+
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 10:17 pm

Bro Mayes Sr. is a good man. He's right about the real music being from the 50's-60s. Very wholesome material.
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 10:58 pm

lookout... it's the ldscop!

CTR!
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 10:58 pm

i choose the left
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 7:55 am

Burritos and cheap beer turn me into good music everytime.....as for who made me think music wasn't complete dogshit that'd be Dr Demento and the TV show Fridays.....Wendy Orlean Williams Tits...I Like Sex!
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 4:21 pm

Arthur Conley, he liked good music
yeah yeah
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®