Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / blacklist -STUMPTOWN COFFEE- Greenwashing
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 2:07 am

They moved to Brooklyn six months ago plus ,I heard that the founder shit on the guy in Seattle who trained him , because they had a deal where if he was trained in this micro coffee buisness paridigm he agreeded to a non-competion deal with not opening in Seattle and what does he do, opens in seattle. And to top it off his fair trade certifications come into question because he is actually doing direct trade which is not governed.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 2:35 am

what in the fuck are you talking about???
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 2:59 am

Is moving to Brooklyn greenwashing? Since when is NY clean?
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 3:28 am

I've never lived / worked near one, so no big deal here-- but I guess I'd be interested on any gossipy links you can post about this...
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 7:18 am

plate o' shrimp ---- i just happened to be in Brooklyn yesterday and wound up buying a stumptown iced coffee. It was pretty good: pretty pretty good. i was just wondering what was up with this stumptown. don't worry, i'm in no danger of becoming a regular customer
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 7:20 am

oh yeah, and the place i went to was just some little ma & pa cafe - i just noticed they served this brand of coffee when i was in there
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 7:36 am

dunno bout their practices...but the coffee rules..
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 8:25 am

people love to piss on duane and a lot of their complaints sound really snipey. success attracts that shit, i guess. and after all, the guy opened his business 10 years ago. how long is a non-compete supposed to last? and fuck a non-compete clause. it's un-american. if people are worried about competition from upstarts they need to improve what they do or move on to another endeavor.

his coffee is really good, too. i'm about to brew some right now.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 9:06 am

I'm drinking some right now. I drink it EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Hate to say it, but I don't know one successful (key word) businessman who doesn't piss more than a few people off and he's got so many positives compared to many of his ilk that I ain't mad at him in the least.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 9:09 am

and fuck a non-compete clause. it's un-american.

trying to eliminate business competition is the most american thing i can think of.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 9:16 am

I heard they had to pump his stomach and found 2 gallons of semen in there and when they did a DNA test on it, they found out it belonged to the guy from Tiny's whos coffee is not fair trade.

Hmmm, let's see, Esmeralda Batch #1 or the Ethiopian Wondo this morning?
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 10:10 am

um, Starbucks did the exact same thing to Peet's. Lighthouse (the company here in Seattle that trained the stumptown folks) seems to be doing pretty well, but they aren't trying to be huge either.
Most (not all, but most) agreements like that have an end date.
I am fine with *ANY* company in Seattle or PDX willing to take on Starbucks.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 10:16 am

French press Italian roast about to happen...latte from one of the many dispensaries of the Stump later today...if I was in the Bay Area, I'd be at Ritual or Blue Bottle, but I live in Portland...good coffee is one of my rights as a human being...greenwash that.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 10:24 am

I'm with Bradx
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 10:41 am

and fuck a non-compete clause. it's un-american.

trying to eliminate business competition is the most american thing i can think of.

Of course, leach of those more talented or potentially more talented and railroad them from becoming competition. Not that that is what happened in this specific case.

What would Ed Anger say? That's my america.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 11:05 am

who cares.
you guys are a bunch of fags.
don't you have anything better to argue about?
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 11:07 am

if you buy coffee in a store you're getting
ripped off. make it at home and it costs
about 75% less.
an iced coffee should not cost $4.00
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 11:23 am

I dunno if he shit on anyone or not, but he sure comes across as a total dickhole in the couple of interviews I've read.

That ain't gonna stop me from drinkin' that shit, though, unless something better becomes readily available. I already gotta go 5 miles to get my Stump on. Sometimes make do with Tully's or Starbucks, or Brewed Awakenings, uggh.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 1:24 pm

Just buy the beans, a good burr grinder and an espresso machine or hell, a french press...make it at home. I love a Stumptown latte too, but was only getting them frequently when employees were giving us some deals!
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 1:25 pm

make it at home and it costs
about 75% less

Word. I make Stumptown at home everyday...usually can get it on sale for $9 a lb...not too bad.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 1:49 pm

i never drink at their locations, only drink at home

see also: headband & mustache thread.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 2:54 pm

i drink too much coffee to rely on home brewed alone - i mainly make coffee at home but if i'm away from home for a few hours i wind up buying a cup someplace.
the stumptown iced coffee cost me $2.25 at that spot. fair enough.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Every time I drag my ass the two long blocks up to my local Stumptown, someone behind the counter says "I got your coffee, Man".

Doesn't get any cheaper than that.

Go Stumptown!
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 8:47 pm

Can we back up about 20 posts? What the fuck is Greenwashing?

I buy my coffee at Sam's Club. and then I make it in a "COFFEE MAKER" nice and weak so I can drink a "HALF LITER" of it. In the U.S.A. we call it a GULP. Sure, maybe if me and the old ball-and-chain are out on a date I will indulge myself in an "EXPRESO" to bring a smile to her labios. Christ.

It's gonna be stumptown when I blow all your fucking limbs off with the .50 cal mounted on my hummer.

p.s. mounted on my hummer is copyright of me, this year.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 9:02 pm

ok but i got mounted on my hummer limo
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 1:09 am

somebody gimme a hummer then mount me in a limo
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 6:29 am

I heard they had to pump his stomach and found 2 gallons of semen in there and when they did a DNA test on it, they found out it belonged to the guy from Tiny's whos coffee is not fair trade.
His wife and kids who he ditched here in Portland for his employee would find that funny
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 6:51 am

So here's my bitch.
1.)The whole Stumptown buisness plan is small market gourmet beans to hipster/ buisness socially concoius people. People who don't buy starbucks, who don't shop at WalMart and probably spend their music money at local shops such as Goner. Here's the rub Duane yes has been in business10 years and that was about long enough for him to con enough people in PDX to support him and his coffee. It would ber kinda like if Goner sold the shop in cooper young and moved to Austin. It would piss me off. Stumptown is just another souless whore.
2.)Greenwashing-marketing con-alleging that your product is local, hence the name Stumptown- Alleging that your beans are fair/ direct trade when you cut the deals with the farmers yourself and no one else certifies it.
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 7:05 am

still dont know what the fuck yer talking about.

coffe what???

you caffiene junkies are disgusting.
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 7:05 pm

"Conning enough people" isn't what happened. That would imply that his coffee sucked and the only reason anyone buys/bought it was of the marketing, which simply isn't the case. That coffee fucking rules. I mean, I still buy the beans via mailorder because nothing around here approaches it, not even SAM'S CLUB!

Sure, when I first moved there and for a couple of years afterwards, I thought the whole thing was an annoying schtick. Going in there to buy coffee could certainly work my nerves, but anyone could feel that way just walking down the street in Portland.

Duane, shake them haters off, my man!
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 7:28 pm

Baba, are you or are friends/family associated with any coffee chains/roasters in portland, seattle or NY?
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 7:28 pm

If it ain't Chock Full Of Nuts or this (which I get at wholesale) I don't really waste my time on coffee at all. I guess I don't have much time being hip and impressing myself (or those around me) when it comes to caffeine anymore.
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 9:29 pm

I don't get the whole idea of somehow being ashamed of enjoying good coffee or whatever else simply because it has some hip cachet. Who the fuck cares what coffee you want to drink, good/expensive, bad/expensive or good/cheap or bad/cheap? That's yer own business and not even important enough to "impress" a soul, really.
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 9:42 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

if stumptown would get some sleeves printed up and hand 'em out to their authorized retailers, it would totally appeal to the lookit-me-and-the-coffee-I-drink within me. As it is I gotta shove the cup in people face, make 'em smell it and say "Yeah, that's right, I'm drinkin' Stumptown, baybay.!"

Maybe baba's a stumptown shill, workin' on the reverse psychology, there's no such thing as bad press viral messageboard advertising angle...
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 10:26 pm | Edited by: dale

Not really to impress anyone but everyone is coming to it's defense or bagging on it though, right? You can get just as good coffee (if not better) for half the price if you know what you're doing (or how to do it). Half the quality stuff is just a lie or marketing anyways. A lot of 4 and 5 star restaurants (in the midwest at least) serve Chock Full Of Nuts as their standard coffee.
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 10:53 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I haven't had Chock Full of Nuts since I lived in New Jersey, but remember it as being run of the mill coffee. They don't even offer whole bean, do they?

I've only been to a handful of 5 star restaurants, but was only impressed by the coffee in the Italian joint, so I don't think that's a good gauge.
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 11:01 pm | Edited by: dale

As far as average coffee it's the top but no, it's not all that exciting but most standard coffee is bunk anyways and most pricey coffee isn't worth the price. Italian coffee is a whole different thing. Italians make most things good (well, except for beer, heavy metal and Ramones wannabees maybe).
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 11:09 pm

If someone wants to move themselves or their business somewhere, who cares? It's a bit idealistic to say the least that everyone shares some utopian ideal of the "little man"...like everything that isn't run "D.I.Y." outta someone's garage is some sort of capitalist villain...Free trade is ideal...but other than some unsubstantiated accusations, you haven't proved anything to the contrary, except sounding like some crazy cat-person with a pony tail standing on his porch in some Crocs, waggling his fingers at passers by and complaining that the New York Times reporters aren't liberal enough.....relax...smoke some free-trade weed, and take a load off.......
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 1:10 am

fuck you , matto, you weren't there!

obama hope multi trade free bliss follow trade...
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 1:57 am

"Baba, are you or are friends/family associated with any coffee chains/roasters in portland, seattle or NY?"[i][/i]
yup , yup and yup. I know two local roasters in P-twn who about knew Duane house of cards. An academic, sociologist, in Seattle who studies regional and local food systems specifically the microcoffee buisness in Seattle , Portland and Eugene . And I have a first cousin who works on the CSCE/ coffee exchange in NYC as a buyer/taster.
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 1:58 am

coffee, another stupid drug.

drink up.
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 2:07 am

mormon
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 2:27 am

druggie.

whatever, though.

enjoy your crutch.
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 11:38 am

Oh, I GET IT.

http://www.nypress.com/article-19910-totally-stumped.html

Something that is good and was a local fave becomes ultra-popular therefore... it now sucks. Such an insecure argument.

(Portlanders, read that article and tell me that writer has no fucking clue...I'm sorry but a majority of Portlanders do not drive around in pickups listening to Toby Keith.)
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 12:14 pm

imprimatur?...milieu?....who the fuck talks like that?....i bet he masturbates with a thesaurus....fresh outta "four years of college"..and ready to break the big one! The New Yorker's gonna notice me! Or maybe I can intern at the Utne reader....so maybe there's something to the free-trade flim flam....but you gotta buy into the fantasy to feel like you've been swindled somehow...and I never did....it's coffee, really good coffee, and it's a business, not a hippy collective out in the woods... businesses exist to turn a profit, plain and simple...as I'm sure he will.
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 12:45 pm

Matto is right. I know a few folks who work at Stumptown. Baristas and service guys and roasters and bean packers. None of them really have great things to say about the behind the scenes goings on. Generally, the pay sucks but the benefits are good and you work with cool people. Nothing new about that.

Plain and simple, it's a for-profit business and a wage-slave job with an expensive but high-quality product. If you don't like it, you know what you can do.
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 12:46 pm

I think that dude wound up in Hillsboro (Sandy, Mollalla, Battle Ground, Ridgefield, whathaveyou) one day and thought it was still portland. Either that or Brad Paisley was playin' the Rose Garden every time he rolled by.

Popularity always has a backlash amongst the pseudo-cognescenti. Surely in another five years Stumptown will be too ubiquitous to be cool anymore, someone else who makes decent coffee and manages to get it in enough establishments to make it worth looking for will come in to fulfill socially conscious hipsters' needs.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 1:57 am

it's a business, not a hippy collective out in the woods... businesses exist to turn a profit, plain and simple...as I'm sure he will.
Yeah but look how lets say Discord Records has been doing buisness, they really have never strayed from their intial mission to capture D.C. music and they have a storyed history of being offered big bucks to sell which they didn't. And I know that comparing records and coffee beans are like apples and bananas but not really. If a buisness works to market themselves as independent , local and serving a specific market and has success doing that then way try capture more of a national market share. You alienate people that respect your original mission. And as far as turning a profit, we'll see their are only so many people out there who continue to believe in Stumptown as their own little gourmet , local , independent , hipster ,coffee company. And I dare say alot of people who live in Portland , Seattle and NYC who care about coffee are not going to still support Stumptown. I am definately not a taste maker or person who at the top of the trend world nor do I try to be. I'm just a guy who has seen another indy company who I cared about turn into everything I despise in capitilism. Enough said I AM NOT DRINKING STUMPTOWN.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 8:50 am

ohhps that got posted before
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 8:52 am

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 9:11 am

Nothing to see here, nothing to see
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 9:30 am

Discord Records has been doing buisness, they really have never strayed from their intial mission to capture D.C. music and they have a storyed history of being offered big bucks to sell which they didn't.
.... they also started putting out really shitty music..
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 11:29 am

Nothing to see here, nothing to see

Now I got billy joel stuck in my head.

Stumptown girl, she's been living in her.... blah blah blah.
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 3:48 am

His wife and kids who he ditched here in Portland for his employee would find that funny

Relax. Spin whatever Dischord title you like to listen to while actively not drinking stumptown coffee and pat yourself on the back knowing that you've done your part to Keep Portland Weirder.
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 9:51 am

minor threat or fidelity jones?

which discord title would be more suited to listen while I actively do not drink my stumptown coffee?
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 10:18 am

which discord title would be more suited to listen while I actively do not drink my stumptown coffee?

Hmm, not sure. How about Edie Sedgwick, whose release date on dischord in 1999 correlates with Stumptowns inception? Shitty album from a dischord catalog I'm not familiar with, but strong symbolic value nonetheless.

Or you could play it safe and blast the State of the Union Comp while actively not drinking your stumptown coffee.
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 10:34 am

I'd suggest the Autoclave 7" would be more appropriate for the pussiness of actively not drinking Stumptown coffee.
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 12:02 pm

always, always...

HIGH BACK CHAIRS!!!
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 12:16 pm

HIGH BACK CHAIRS!!!

Got me there. I was about to say "Shudder to Think", but yeah, High Back Chairs.
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 2:02 pm

Flex Your Head people...Void yourself of your fears...delude yourself with an Artificial Peace, then sound a State of Alert when your coffee roaster betrays you...Scream until your Jawbox breaks at the artifices of capitalism....and use your Gray Matter to find a way to put Fugazi in a sentence..
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 3:10 pm

OK, so I been rockin' a lotta my Discord shit and not drinking stumptown. Now I'm so straightedge I don't even drink coffee at all anymore.

Bradx was right about coffee even if he isn't keeping the edge, brah.
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 3:36 pm

Portlanders, read that article and tell me that writer has no fucking clue...I'm sorry but a majority of Portlanders do not drive around in pickups listening to Toby Keith

I kind of like his description of Portland - sure its an exaggeration, but not super far off. Seems like everyone thinks Portland starts downtown and ends around 60th or 82nd or something. Go to Duke's out on 140-something and Division and you'll find the Portland everyone in the inner-eastside seems to deny exists

Stumptown is good coffee and not everyone drinks it 'cause its some kind of hipster-badge, but plenty of folks do. And I fucking hate them Stumptown cafes!!! Every time I'm in there I want to lay out a huge fart just to distract everyone away from their Giant Robot mags for a moment.

And anyway, nobody's had coffee in Portland til they've drank Spella. That shit rules!!! Going for an affogato momentarily!
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Start passing the illusory magic marker and eye-black. Prep your Duane Sorenson effigies as we lock arms and form a human chain around the Division St. Stumptown and sing acapella versions of High Back Chairs in unison.
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Coffee is for closers!

last I checked, Portland was very closers-deficient.
Hell, they don't even have openers up there, just a lot of wanna-bes

the real issue is: Where the hell can you find Yankee Pot Roast?
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 3:58 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Oh, I damn near forgot. I live out where non-ironic cowboy hats are likely to be worn, although camo ball caps are really all the rage these days. Only Mexicans wear non-ironic cowboy hats 'round these parts.

Over the weekend, I rolled into the big city and kept an eye out for the types of folk that the writer mentioned. I only saw one rollin down Lombard, likely just pulled his boat out at Cathedral Park boat ramp.

Fishin' boat - check
Big Ol Truck - check
NRA sticker - check
realtree cap - check

Pretty small percentage of the hundreds of folks I saw. And I never even made it down to inner SE...
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 4:04 pm

This is the stupidest non-Brad X thread ever.
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 4:18 pm

for the first time in my life I just paid a prostitute to have sex with me.

I'm feeling really weird about myself right now.
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 9:32 pm

Seattle, Portland and NYC

Who ever thought they'd see those three lumped together with equal importance?
Posted: Aug 19, 2009 8:37 am

Well, I saw it coming a few years back...and can't say that fact helped me to want to stay in Portland. However, Portland is still by far the easiest place to live of the 3, though NYC is infinitely more interesting.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®