Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Jay Reatard - "Wounded"
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 11:42 am

What. The fuck.

I'm a fan of Jay, but if he's headed in this direction, I don't think I ever want to hear another note of his music again. Is this supposed to be dumbed down for his new indie rock audience or something?

Song's on his myspace if you haven't heard it.
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 11:39 am

Seriously? To me this sounds like everything else he's done but with a different arrangement, better production and more thought put into hooks.

The whole record's rad. It works like an album with bits and pieces contributing to the greater picture.

If you want 12 songs with exactly the same formula, sound and style just listen to all the other records in your collection.
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 12:18 pm

that last song sounds lots like Bad Man to me
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 12:36 pm

I'm a fan of Jay, but if he's headed in this direction, I don't think I ever want to hear another note of his music again. Is this supposed to be dumbed down for his new indie rock audience or something?

your fan-dom will be sorely missed I am sure. Take some tissue and dry your pretty little eyes...
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 4:24 pm

his new shit stopped being interesting to me years ago, but i still play not fucked enough, bedroom disasters, teenage hate, and the early singles on a regular basis. also wish him success in whatever type of music he chooses to play, motherfucker has worked hard enough and deserves whatever success he gets. i hope he plays music all the hipsters hate as long as he enjoys doing it and continues to sell records. one of the very few people who actually deserves whatever little bit of popularity he receives. so he got sick of playing four note punk songs, who wouldnt?
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 4:34 pm

I don't mind people who start as Sell outs. At least they're up front about it and you know where they're coming from. It's creeps like JR who I can't stand. Fake punk.
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 5:15 pm

Yeah, he needs to turn in his punk badge.
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 5:21 pm

You and your friends don't know the difference anyway, Meat.
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 7:36 pm

Ha ha I love the Goner board...Fake Punk rules

All the best KBD records were "fake punk"...yah think Big Balls and the great white idiot didnt have stardom twinkling in their eyes. Or The Pack?or everyone who picked up a guitar in the 70's?

What did Jimjim sell out? a scene full of striped tshirt dorks who drop "fag" nigger" everywhere...HA HA for being so stupid in the first place
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 11:52 pm

I don't think I ever want to hear another note of his music again.
man i get bummed out over comments like this. i'm stuck in a place that privileges copying copies over and over and over. to see somebody ignoring status quo is always more interesting. even if jay's stuff isn't the most appealing at times i'm pretty sure he'll be able to do something at some point that will kick a lot of ass.
Posted: Aug 7, 2009 12:59 am

JAY RULES!

FUCK THE HATERS!
Posted: Aug 7, 2009 9:01 pm

Jay does rule. I been hearing a lot of naysayers talking about him lately. Fake punk? Sell out? If copying copies isn't your thing you might as well toss out all your rock and roll records. Dude's been kicking ass and taking names since he was a little kid. He probably accomplished more by age 21 than most punk / rock musicians do their entire careers.
Posted: Aug 7, 2009 9:03 pm

deadcityrebel

Agreed.
Posted: Aug 7, 2009 9:43 pm

He probably accomplished more by age 21 than most punk / rock musicians do their entire careers.

And there lies the rub with most of the naysayers.

Fuck 'em...don't buy the shit if you don't like it...there is a motherfucker right behind you with his money out...get the fuck out of the way...and quit whining...it's so unbecoming of a self righteous punk
Posted: Aug 8, 2009 3:37 pm

The rub is that his new music sucks. But you wouldn't know that either Grandpa janglebox.
Posted: Aug 8, 2009 4:12 pm

I'd be glad to have it push that latest Wilco cut offa heavy rotation on K-Narc. It's good for radio rockin' only, though, not something ya pay to own.
Posted: Aug 8, 2009 8:15 pm

The rub is that his new music sucks

Your new music is great!
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 10:45 pm

Posted: Aug 9, 2009 11:16 pm

Q: How have people been talking shit? On the internet, you mean?

A: The internet is the easiest way to do it, but I don't put much value on those people.

ie, Record Shop Asshole
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 2:11 am | Edited by: Sunshine

A. "I didn't even drink alcohol until I was 20 or so"

Q. what year was this show?

or is that a bubbley pepsi

HA HA
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 8:56 am

A. "I didn't even drink alcohol until I was 20 or so"

Q. what year was this show?

That is Fallout Records and I *think* he was 20 at that time. If not 20 very close to it.

I am not finger pointing and I do think his sound is different, but could people turning on him have more to do with him being popular outside of this very small garage rock bubble?

I am not saying that in a snarky way, but this is a small scene. When I was in memphis for the Gorblivians, I hung out with people that I met at Garage Shock in the early 90s. It's the same group of people with a few variations.

You can't really expect someone to sound the same as they did at 15 and if he did that most folks would hate that after a while also.
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 9:00 am

You can't really expect someone to sound the same as they did at 15

yeah, exactly. i'm not crazy about what i've heard from this record but i'd be sure as hell more disappointed with a retread of a 10 year old record. as long as it's changing maybe i'll like the next change better than this one.
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 9:42 am

Grandpa janglebox.

Best Neddining since "Mike Diaper"!!!! STILL GOT IT!!!
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 11:05 am

who cares.
you guys are a bunch of fags.
don't you have anything better to argue about?

get money.
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 12:18 pm

That's what I am talking about

Only moneys real!
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Money Punk.
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 1:41 pm

I am what the philly crusties call...a House Punk. I live in a House,I pay for with Money. Lets make a list of everything Money gets you. You first Rich my man
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 4:28 pm

coke and beamers
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 7:40 pm

coke and beaners
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 9:33 pm

boston steamers
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 11:44 pm

little asian boys shaped like sex toys
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 9:25 am

Everybody likes to hate Pitchfork, but they've been Jay's biggest "mainstream" cheerleaders (even though they didn't review Blood Visions when it came out). Anyway, they gave the new record a 7.9/10. C+!!!

Review here: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/13371-watch-me-fall/
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®