Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / "Livin' for the City"
Posted: Jul 28, 2009 6:29 pm

"livin' for the city" is one of my favorite stevie wonder songs. actually, i'd say it's one of my favorite songs of all, ever. tryin' to cheer myself up today (yeah, i know. not like that song's very uplifting...) so i put it on. i'm not sure it's in every version, cause there are different cuts/edits of the song, but in the sorta outro part, where the backing vocals are going "liv-in, just enough" and he's sorta ad-libbing or something, there's a line that i've always thought was "the fuckin' crowd is shitty" or "the fuckin' chronic's shitty." i doubt either of these is correct. anyone know what it really is? i googled but most transcriptions of the songs don't include that part.
Posted: Jul 28, 2009 11:49 pm

I can't make it out either. It's "the funky" something something.
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 7:40 am

at 3'20 here

"the fuckin crowdy city?"
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 9:41 am

i wish i still had my copy of inner visions. i'd help if i could.

TOO HIGH!
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 10:11 am

I sold my copy some months ago ; don't like the production at all...
the cover by the DBs is good
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 10:17 am

don't like the production at all

is it kind of sterile sounding? i was wondering if i got it again if that's how it would sound to me. i haven't heard it in over 10 years.
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 10:35 am

well, it sounds quite cold to me ; I like "warm" production => I listen to 50s/60s/90s/00s music mostly (i've been raised in the 90s, accustomed to that "nirvana" sound, maybe that's the reason); luckily, some bands/artists managed to keep that warmness in the 70s/80s (Alex Chilton & Co, the Heartbreakers...) but certainly not S. Wonder... will give a spin to my uptight lp tonight though
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 10:48 am

nirvana sounds "warm."

wow.

get me outta here.
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 10:58 am

(as long as i remember nirvana!) there was plenty of dry guitars & fuzz, less drum kick & more snare drums than in the 80s sound, and definitely the bass was back in the background ; anyway, that's the way I remember it, it's been 10 years now that i didn't listen to it
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 11:00 am

that's what i call a warm production, the high frequency instruments in the front (voice, guitar,cymbals&snare drum), & the rest in the back (even thou I like some songs by Chic ;) )
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 11:21 am

Really? On a board where people think anything over a jambox recording is "over produced" you are complaining about Stevie Wonder? Really?
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 11:35 am

You do know that Stevie played all the instruments himself right? So a shit ton of overdubbing had to be utilized to make that record...so a "warm" sound coming from the room and a live recording wasnt entirely possible...also you are talking about the early days of synths and sequencers, engineers didnt really know what to do with them yet in a sonic context.

also, most importantly you are celebrating the 90s as a decade of amazing recording technique and the 70s as "sterile" and "cold", so that basically puts all of your opinions in the garbage can
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 12:06 pm

I like the Richard Pryor cover.....
Posted: Jul 30, 2009 3:55 am

also, most importantly you are celebrating the 90s as a decade of amazing recording technique and the 70s as "sterile" and "cold", so that basically puts all of your opinions in the garbage can
Uptight has been recorded by Stevie alone too I guess, & it sounds warm to me, so live recording is not the point
I'm just saying that in terms of production sound ONLY, early recordings by Nirvana sound closer to the Sonics to my ears than the Fleshtones' Roman Gods ; that don't mean Nirvana is better than Fleshtones in terms of composition, spirit etc...
imo, that warm sound has been dying slowly during the 70s, because of all of them synths and bad habit to put the drumkick louder than the snare drum (with a lotta exceptions, fortunately! LAMF rules) but to my opinion the 90s -slowly- updated that warm sound and maybe it has something to do with those grunge/neo-punk bands, wether I like it or not... the result is that the Mummies' records will always sound better than the Gruesomes'
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®