Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / camping near Portland
Posted: Jul 23, 2009 5:13 pm

Anyone know of a good place to go camping that is within two hours of Portland, on a river and is dispersed/rustic like? I don't like camping near other people and I am burning out on all of my reg spots
Posted: Jul 23, 2009 5:35 pm

Have you ever been around Detroit Lake? How about the McKenzie River or Clear Lake? A little further away, but, White Pass? Dumbell Lake? Eastside, how about Ochoco? There's tons of weird forest roads along streams between 26 and 380 between Mitchell and the Paulina Hwy. What are you looking for exactly? Car camping or a little hiking into or what?
Posted: Jul 23, 2009 6:33 pm

Detroit seemed a bit populated last time I was there but that was years ago and I prefer rivers/streams as lakes tend to weird me out with their stillness. Never been to McKenzie River I don't think. Car camping is nice and easy but I don't mind a hike as long as it isn't more than a mile for this particular trip because I have a lot of beer to drag along with me. So I guess the prerequisites are: 2hrs or less driving, river, no people. Oh and the coast is supposed to be shitty all week son nothing west of Vernonia I guess. Jeez I'm picky I guess
Posted: Jul 23, 2009 7:34 pm

Camping is for hippys...
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 8:38 am | Edited by: ryan brown

go past detroit lake and hit up Opal Creek. there are a few car camping sites in the park but the real gems are rustic sites which you have to hike in about 1 mile to access.

pros. the rustic spots are great. 40 foot cliff jumping into Opal Pool. natural water-slide along Opal Creek. hike in is quite easy.

cons. there is an old mining town called Jawbone Flats that hippies use for camps and wedding receptions and such in the park. avoid going on weekends. these folks won't be all up in your shit as they usually stay in their area but you might have to share some of the cool shit with them if they are there.

OPAL CREEK
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 1:49 pm | Edited by: Joe

Oh and the coast is supposed to be shitty all week son nothing west of Vernonia I guess

This nullifies my suggestion, but fuck it.

Going out 26, if you take the turn off for Spruce Run (pretty sure that's what it's called), which is right around Oney's, you can drive through the campground and down along the (I think) Nehalem River.

After a while, like say 20-40 mins, you'll come to a railroad bridge that crosses the river. Park and walk across the bridge and when you get to the far side, you can scramble down to the river from the right side of the bridge. It can be a little hairy getting your shit down (we usually bring straps/ropes and lower heavy shit from the bridge) but once you do you've got the whole river bank to yourself.

Cons: the bank is not super sandy (mostly smooth river pebbles), so a sleeping pad is a good idea, and it's sort of a pain to get in/out.

Pros: total seclusion, river, train bridge, close to town, etc.
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 7:36 pm

How about under the Burnside Bridge? I hear they have hella parties there....
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 8:19 pm

you'd hafta kick Little John outta the crows nest... he gets kinda cranky..
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®