Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Peavey Rock Master Amps.
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 3:49 am

anyone ever had one...?? or used one...? I heard its not good to turn on the amp when the speaker cable isnt plugged into the cabinet...i did this by accident. Tips, suggestions..??
-Stupid.
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 8:21 am

You're probably gonna need a new output transformer.
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 9:53 am

yeah- in vacuum tube amps, when there is no load on the output transformer's secondary winding, the voltage generated by the power amp on the primary winding is enough to arc between the two and cause a permanent short.

the good news is that the OT is probably easy to get from Peavy.

Jm
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 12:25 pm

here's what happened, i was playing thru it, and put it on standby for a a half hour or so..then went to turn the stanby OFF and my tubes would not light up...?
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 1:01 pm

here's what happened, i was playing thru it, and put it on standby for a a half hour or so..then went to turn the stanby OFF and my tubes would not light up...?

totally untubular
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 2:42 pm

Was the speaker cabinet plugged in the whole time? If so you may have just burned up your tubes. Weird, but not as bad as the OT.
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 2:47 pm

output transformer: is this the chick transformer?
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 6:52 pm

Was the speaker cabinet plugged in the whole time? If so you may have just burned up your tubes. Weird, but not as bad as the OT.
when i 1st turned the amp on, the speaker cable was not plugged into the amp, i was figuring out why there was no sound for like 2 mins or so then realized the stupid mistake, speaker cable was not plugged into amp, then i plugged it all up and it worked, then later we took a break for a 1/2 hour, put amp on STANDBY...went back to play it, turned standby off..but tubes would not light up. ? total bummer...
-Tube Rider.
p.s. thanks for all the advice/help mr. Scott!!
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 11:00 pm

Hmmm...I think you're gonna have to take it to someone who knows more than me. I would think that if it was working fine after the speaker cabinet was unplugged that turning it to stand-by wouldn't do anything, but apparently, I'm wrong.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®