Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 12:05 pm

i guess the fact that it's 1:00pm there and nobody's posted anything about the show last night is a sign that the rest of us missed a really good one, huh?

jerks.
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 1:21 pm

Yep. Ya did.
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 3:09 pm

Yes. Both bands were great, despite a dud of a crowd, then Jay Reatard played next door, then after party, then it was 5 am. Now, we're finally home.

going to sleep

photos later
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 4:18 pm

Here's a clip:
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 5:13 pm

Considered the after party but I was pretty wiped out. Being in a crowd of over 1000 people on a warm June night can do that to a person. Esp. when the hour drive home was still facing them.
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 5:45 pm | Edited by: michael baker

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 9:50 pm

I was right up front for both bands. The crowd was really tame for the Oblivians but definitely kicked it up for the Gories. I was definitely getting tossed around during their set.
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 11:59 pm

did anyone see meg white?
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 8:30 am

What was the after party?

Crowd was super stiff to start but got moving pretty good by the end of the Gories set. Hats off to southern crowds for just gettin loose right off the bat. I guess the 100+ degrees in the Hi Tone has folks closer to the boiling point to start with. Heh. Everybody in Michigan was saying how hot it was all week, but coming from Memphis it felt like Fall!

Jay was getting after it pretty good upstairs, and his merch table was crazy! Never seen that much stuff from one person/band out on the road. His new tee shirts are awesome.

Anybody go to the Old Miami on Friday night? Curious how Mike Hurtt and Jeff Meier's new band was. FineWine was playing some great records on Saturday night.
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 9:59 am

Had a great time O-G show. Venue and crowd was a bit too large, but I guess you kind of got to expect that with only 3 U.S. shows
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 10:06 am

he crowd was really tame for the Oblivians...
how is that even possible?
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 10:39 am

Show in Detroit was awesome! Gories were in WAY better shape than in Memphis - Mick's voice was mostly back & they definitely sounded more relaxed & confident (homefield advantage, I'd wager) They got my ass shakin' (but apparently nobody in Detroit could be bothered to get into it! - weird!) Oblivians were also really great - but I think they were better in Memphis - they even played 'Alcoholic'!!! CRAZY! Afterparty at Kroha's sister's place was great too - who'd a thunk that pop-tarts could be the perfect hors d'oeuvre?!?!?

I had a great time - drive back was LOOOOOOOOOOONG... traffic & construction + HUNG OVER-ness = unhappy Bill.

Thanks Detroit!
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 10:57 am

looooong time since I'd been in detroit... what a city. weird, stylish, shattered.

people's records was great. thrifting looked to be promising... gorgeous buildings, mostly unused. gotta get to the fox theater someday.

magic stick / majestic managers and such couldn't have been nicer. soundguys seemed to make the gories sound like the gories, too- pretty amazing for such a big space.

HAM KING! LAFAYETTES CONEY ISLAND!

can't wait to go back.
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 11:19 am

that show was great. Better than Memphis. Both bands were really solid and sounded tough. it's good seeing bands who probably made $100 a night if they were lucky, getting some good money. My only complaint is that the show either started too early(before 10) or there wasnt' enough people running the door, cause the line was around the corner when THE OBLIVIANS started.

oh, and if you are ever in need of a cab in the detroit area, call Arnett Johnson at 313.598.8574, proprietor of Voyager Cab. Servicing Hamtramck and Beyond. Trust me, it's a great voyage.
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 11:25 am | Edited by: Alex C

Detroit has some amazing architecture. It was crazy and disappointing to see all these beautiful buildings completely abandoned and falling apart.

I wish I could have made the after party but we got given the wrong address (8225 instead of 8115). At least we had a friendly cab driver who gave us a good tour of Detroit.
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 12:19 pm

who'd a thunk that pop-tarts could be the perfect hors d'oeuvre?!?!?

...and with the toaster in the middle of the display. Brilliant! I still want some more of that chili dip. Mmm....
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 1:17 pm

more importantly,
did the Oblivians play the Undercover of the Night disco?
I thought they didn't play it in Memphis, but listening back to the shows this weekend, they did a little bit of it on Friday.
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 1:34 pm

a little sliver of it was played by eric and jack while greg was tuning if memory serves...
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 1:41 pm

Was that Under Cover of the Night? Me & Joe Dirty was thinking it was Ram Jam.
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 1:56 pm

we did a very un-tight jam on it in detroit... fucking around in front of that many people is really weird. standing there like a dork 'cause your lame hippie strap fell off the peg and trying to play "static party" in front of a lot of people is really weird, too. but yeah, we did a bit. come see us in a week, it'll be the whole album!
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 2:42 pm

must be weird to play up on a high stage like that too i'd imagine.
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 2:43 pm

those few licks sounded good though! and Ram Jam would be epic!
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 3:32 pm

the spotlight on the Greg O drum solo...top notch!!! Sorry for the Dog Police heckle!!!
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 4:33 pm

i wish we played dog police, and that obscure song by Christian Hosoi you were calling for. Next time for sure.
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 7:18 pm

next time? come on!
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 9:11 pm

Sorry for heckling Christian Hosoi, aloha brah, and Dog Police at the stage. I remember using the "in Communist Russia toilet flush you" or some such shit to Russian Feeler.

Beckett's Cold List for the Detroit show:
1. 990/1000 people standing and staring at the show. Hopefully those people will get to see Shootyz Groove and Zodiac Mindwarp this summer and check off a few more bands on their Must See Before I Die Checklist.
2. Meg White supposed appearance but Rich Balls was standing right next to me so it was a lie
3. $10,000,000 retail value of vintage clothing worn inside the Majestic during the show
4. No puking
5. No Juggalos

Beckett's Hot List for the show:
1. Oblivians
2. Gories
3. 10 people dancing and yelling during the show
4. Cheap beer! $2.50 high life bottles at a show like this? I'm sure that I've paid $5 a bottle a decade ago at St. Andrews.
5. Volunteering at the merch table post show during the frenzy. 4 people can sell stuff faster than 2.
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 9:38 pm

Cold List:
The chubby girl behind me yelling, "DANCE OR GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY", loudly, between each Gories song -- That was just retarded.
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 9:45 pm

At least you called me chubby and not fat.
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 9:47 pm

3. $10,000,000 retail value of vintage clothing worn inside the Majestic during the show

Peg claims this is because you can thrift shop vintage clothing in Detroit. I ain't buying it. But, hey, i realized that Detroit is a stylish town - all that Deco craziness didn't come from pure functionality - and they're representing.

Weird to see, though. Memphis is t-shirts and whatever pants you had on last week.

Add to Cold List: E-Dog Forgetting how to play "Never Change."

Gott ind Heaven I am stupid sometimes.

Meant to go yell at Russian Feeler, too, but was too busy getting yelled at by Vanilla Gorilla's widow. Joe T shall reprimand me. Dang.

THANK YOU for the merch help... Lindsey & Useless forever!
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 10:04 pm

Cold List:
The chubby girl behind me yelling, "DANCE OR GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY", loudly, between each Gories song -- That was just retarded.

Was that the girl with the curly red hair? She was nuts and threatened to kill me at one point.
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 10:08 pm

E-Dog Forgetting how to play "Never Change."

You know E-Dog, I have that on video.
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 10:16 pm

it's a tough song to figure out. i'm all about "the changes."
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 11:08 pm | Edited by: dale

i wish we played dog police, and that obscure song by Christian Hosoi you were calling for.

With your apology from the stage and the sincere "Sorry guys" shrug you gave we knew it was sincere.

A PH person highlight was one dudes date saying "How can they be from Memphis? They aren't anything rockabilly! Are they serious?" (and yes she was)

Yelling "Jack White's guitar" and some kid telling me it wasn't Jack White's guitar.

Telling two guys straight out of Vice Magazine style that even Pete Doherty was standing in that line to get in and watching them quickly scamper off to find him.

Russian Feeler realizing some weed is better than others.
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 11:47 pm

I seen one hipster-douche-bag whose "vintage" clothing made him look like Peter Pan.
He even had a Shakespeare-type haircut complete with a funny little hat.

He came riding down the sidewalk on Woodward on a "vintage" bike.
It was so retro.
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 12:03 am

yes, tom potter was there.
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 12:12 am

He was my favorite celeb sighting. I heard him even let out a few "Woo!"s

The Smith Westerns kids wanted to go peek in on the show but they but weren't allowed to.
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 12:25 am

Yeah! We got to chat with TJ Potter about pugs. Tom rules.
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 12:26 am

Yelling "Jack White's guitar" and some kid telling me it wasn't Jack White's guitar.

Does Jack O have to give that back after the tour? I say, let em keep it.
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 12:35 am

HA!
HA!
HA!!

My Gories video has the heffer yelling
"Dance or Get the Fuck Out of the Way"
(its like 1 second into this video)
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 12:59 am

Did my sales pitch on Potter for west coast going east coast aka Chrome Spiders & the Menthols in Port Huron.
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 1:17 am

I'm just glad I got my hands on that rare Detroit only show split 7inch with the Oblivians cover of Dog Police and The Gories doing this song.
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 8:44 am

Beckett's Hot List for the show:
1. Oblivians
2. Gories
3. 10 people dancing and yelling during the show
4. Cheap beer! $2.50 high life bottles at a show like this? I'm sure that I've paid $5 a bottle a decade ago at St. Andrews.
5. Volunteering at the merch table post show during the frenzy. 4 people can sell stuff faster than 2.

Don't forget the pizza/dance party in the bowling alley immediately following the show! Those Detroit squares were looking at us like we were killing children or something! I mean - how can you NOT dance to some primo James Brown tunes?!?!?

And yeah - I don't buy it that Detroit thrift is THAT good - those people have to be shelling out some serious money for that vintage shit...

ALSO really great to see Aleks & J.G. - although Aleks incessantly snapping photos of me fashion shoot-style was really uncomfortable... DON'T LOOK AT ME! I'M HIDEOUS!!!!
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 1:11 pm

DON'T LOOK AT ME! I'M HIDEOUS!!!!

no way. You couldn't make a baby that cute if you were.
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 3:34 pm

TJ Potter about plugs

dude is no longer bald?
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 6:20 pm

Kosta - The old Miami was loads of fun on Friday, Fine Wine played records that made everybody jealous and the Part Stompers were bang on too. I think they are playing again in Detroit at CityFest with Gino Washington. Saw you in the line-up on Saturday and didn't see you again,we'll catch up with you at Gonerfest!
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 7:25 pm

I think they are playing again in Detroit at CityFest with Gino Washington.

and Hurtt is playing Hamtramck somethingorother too.
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 7:30 pm

i'm all about "the changes."
its "great" to have 20 changes in a 2 minute song!!! YES is good with stuff. Oblivians and Headcoats UFOdictator 666...( the future is killer )
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 11:53 pm

wait, are "changes" also called "notes?"

'cause that's what I mean. when you "change" from one note to another. I like it, but not too much!
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 12:00 am

we're getting deep in punk rock musical theory!
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 3:25 am

notes/changes..technical BS. Im not a fan of "working" on a 2 minute song that takes 3 months to learn...like a lot of "musicians" here in my town, people love talent here..they somehow think its gonna make em be on Star Search..Ed McMahon is dead and Star Search is dead, people in kalamazoo are wack jobs. Me, I like to ride my Honda Elite and listen to Jeffery Osborne on a SONY walkman..thats where its at!!!
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 7:39 am

The best "After-Party" was Sunday at The Carpet House. The biker wearing a Michael-Jackson-with-Zombie/Thriller T-shirt set the bar for the afternoon/evening. Jeff Meier dropped by with Fine Wine in tow, but left before the music got going. High point was the dude with mad scientist hair and no teeth, stumbling past and high-fiveing, showing up on stage ten minutes later killing it on a version of Purple Rain. Special mention goes to the guys barbecuing next to us horrifying my vegetarian pals (are they going to eat all that?!! - yup) The evening closed with dudes jamming Hendrix songs, including "Hey Joe" sung as "Hey Jude". A snippet of "Miss You" was heard at one point, but no "Undercover Of The Night". Oblivians and/or Gories would have seamlessly fit in at any point. Kosta, we missed you (and The Chairman)!
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 12:20 pm

I'm begging - please someone who was at Dan's sister's house send me the recipe for that chili dip!

I need it for my july 4th festivities!
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 12:40 pm | Edited by: m t millionaire

HORMEL CHILI DIP
1 can Hormel chili without beans
1 (8 oz.) cream cheese

Heat ingredients together in saucepan or microwave 2 minutes. Stir. Serve hot with tortilla chips.

(I told you that's all it was)
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 11:01 am

hey hey Detroit
rockin' rhythm & blues....
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 1:17 pm

[i]The best "After-Party" was Sunday at The Carpet House. The biker wearing a Michael-Jackson-with-Zombie/Thriller T-shirt set the bar for the afternoon/evening.[/a]
The Carpet House was great...We got there only about 2 hours before they finished up for the day, but whatta blast! Loved the biker who needed the woman to push him backwards so he could get going.

But the very large woman up front going nuts and shaking everything she had - and she had a ton in every direction - was pretty crazed.

Loved the version of Hey Joe.

Also, the vocalist who kept saying, "Put a ducat in the bucket!" let forth with a ton of insanely raw sounds at various points.
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 1:18 pm

Hurtt, Meier, and the rest of the Party Stompers were really great on Friday night. Hope they come to NYC at some point.

Greg did a fantastic 2 set afternoon thing at the Alley Deck on Sunday. Beautiful day for it, too...And food on the grill. That's my kinda afternoon.
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 3:34 pm

Greg solo

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®