Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / New amps?
Posted: Jun 27, 2009 1:27 pm

Never bought one but I am tired of constantly fixing/replacing them. Don't care if it's solid or tube just loud and awesome. Suggestions?
Posted: Jun 27, 2009 1:48 pm

you might wanna try new friends...as far as mystery breakage is concerned..
Posted: Jun 27, 2009 2:56 pm

Yeah No shit....
Posted: Jun 27, 2009 4:56 pm

ive been playing a fender 212R 100 watt dual 12" combo amp for several years now with no problems. good, cheap, stageworthy amp.

LINK
Posted: Jun 27, 2009 5:22 pm

Anyone tried the newer Marshall combos? I'm pretty Marshall-weary but have heard the new ones sound good
Posted: Jun 27, 2009 5:59 pm

way overpriced for the sound they put out. paying more for a name on a mediocre amp. they dont have the classic marshall tone either. talking about their cheap line here, i have no idea about the more expensive high end models.
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 4:52 am

musicman amps. you never want nything else.
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 11:20 am

70's twins are tough as nails...I've beaten the hell out of mine and it keeps on goin'...can be pricey tho...musicman are killer as well..
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 12:22 pm

Peavy Classic 30 is reliable and has great break-up.
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 12:30 pm

those fender bassman reissues (4x10) are also almost indestructible. Loud, good sound, punchy and a good canvas to paint on with your pedals.
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 1:12 pm

a good canvas to paint on with your pedals.
you dipping into the Rose' again Joe?
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 1:53 pm

you dipping into the Rose' again Joe?

man, i aint slept but 3 hours last nite. paint on that.
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 2:35 pm

harsh..
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 4:28 pm

CRATE!
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 7:30 pm

Get used to it.
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 8:29 pm

You guys have a vagina monster yet or what?
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 9:05 pm

You guys have a vagina monster yet or what?

it's decided to take up squatters rites.
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 11:20 pm

it's gonna come out with a Crass patch and ask you for a quarter..
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 10:41 am

Crate might be a good bet partly because Loud- their parent company is about to go under (depending on what rumors you want to believe). A lot of Crate amps have come on the market for cheap in the recent past. I think this is because a) Loud has been liquidating to raise some cash and b) shops are afraid to keep them because their not sure what's going to happen with the brand, so they turn them over fast.

Crate has a pretty good line of vacuum tube amps- like most "affordable" brands made overseas, they have their faults, but they're not worse than others.

I'm a vacuum tube guy all the way and a firm believer that a well designed and or repaired amp can be reliable and bulletprooof.
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 11:09 am

Funny, I was just looking at Crate amps... I am tired of lugging this half stack and they seem pretty sweet for how cheap they are. All tube, class A, spring reverb, analog signal path... for $2-300?? I think I'm going to go give one test drive soon.

And I agree with justinm. Tube amps when done well and simply are worth it and if you are getting them repaired repeatedly I'd have your repair guy give the whole thing a once over to resolder any questionable joints and if it still gives you a lot of problems, find a new repair guy.
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 1:34 pm

Been looking at Crate stuff online. Owned a few eighties models and always been a fan but have yet to try a new one. Looks like I am going on my very first trip to Guitar Center this week
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 4:11 pm

I've had really good luck with the Traynor combo I bought new about 4 years ago. It sounds great and has a great warranty.
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 6:21 pm

Loud- their parent company is about to go under (depending on what rumors you want to believe)

Is Ampeg still owned by Loud? I know they still carry replacement parts for a lot of Ampeg stuff, but do they own the brand?

I guess I should order those knobs before their phone gets shut off.
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 7:47 pm

70's Music Man 410 or 212
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 8:37 pm

Is Ampeg still owned by Loud?

last i knew ampeg was ampeg, but thats not to say ampeg is the ampeg that it once was...i've got a selmer (gary, in) ampeg and its the shit.
but yeah, buying a music man is a guarantee of having a reliable used amp, fixing it will get you plenty of pussy.
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 9:46 am

Everybody and their brother is trying to get the Ampeg name and trademark out of Loud to make their own run with it. I wish someone would get it, then turn around and make an SVT that's actually reliable..........
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®