Goner Message Board / ???? / Official Goreblivians Memphis Role-Call
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 2:08 pm

Me + my roommate/good friend Elspeth
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 2:09 pm

Where y'all staying?
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 2:12 pm

What grade are you in?
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 2:12 pm

At Gina's. And, ahem, "roll" call is what I meant, but if there's some community theater types on here, feel free to tell us about your latest production.
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 2:15 pm

I'll be there with Franny.
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 2:16 pm

What about Matto?
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 2:58 pm

me and a buddy road tripping. hopefully be in on friday in time to see animal house at the orpheum
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 3:02 pm

Blake: Let me have your attention for a moment! So you're talking about what? You're talking about...(puts out his cigarette)...bitching about that sale you shot, some son of a bitch that doesn't want to buy, somebody that doesn't want what you're selling, some broad you're trying to screw and so forth. Let's talk about something important. Are they all here?
Williamson: All but one.
Blake: Well, I'm going anyway. Let's talk about something important! (to Levene) Put that coffee down!! Coffee's for closers only. (Levene scoffs) Do you think I'm fucking with you? I am not fucking with you. I'm here from downtown. I'm here from Mitch and Murray. And I'm here on a mission of mercy. Your name's Levene?
Levene: Yeah.
Blake: You call yourself a salesman, you son of a bitch?
Moss: I don't have to listen to this shit.
Blake: You certainly don't pal. 'Cause the good news is -- you're fired. The bad news is you've got, all you got, just one week to regain your jobs, starting tonight. Starting with tonights sit. Oh, have I got your attention now? Good. 'Cause we're adding a little something to this months sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone want to see second prize? Second prize's a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired. You get the picture? You're laughing now? You got leads. Mitch and Murray paid good money. Get their names to sell them! You can't close the leads you're given, you can't close shit, you ARE shit, hit the bricks pal and beat it 'cause you are going out!!!
Levene: The leads are weak.
Blake: 'The leads are weak.' Fucking leads are weak? You're weak. I've been in this business fifteen years.
Moss: What's your name?
Blake: FUCK YOU, that's my name!! You know why, Mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight, I drove a eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name!! (to Levene) And your name is "you're wanting." And you can't play in a man's game. You can't close them. (at a near whisper) And you go home and tell your wife your troubles. (to everyone again) Because only one thing counts in this life! Get them to sign on the line which is dotted! You hear me, you fucking faggots?
(Blake flips over a blackboard which has two sets of letters on it: ABC, and AIDA.)
Blake: A-B-C. A-always, B-be, C-closing. Always be closing! Always be closing!! A-I-D-A. Attention, interest, decision, action. Attention -- do I have your attention? Interest -- are you interested? I know you are because it's fuck or walk. You close or you hit the bricks! Decision -- have you made your decision for Christ?!! And action. A-I-D-A; get out there!! You got the prospects comin' in; you think they came in to get out of the rain? Guy doesn't walk on the lot unless he wants to buy. Sitting out there waiting to give you their money! Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it? (to Moss) What's the problem pal? You. Moss.
Moss: You're such a hero, you're so rich. Why you coming down here and waste your time on a bunch of bums?
(Blake sits and takes off his gold watch)
Blake: You see this watch? You see this watch?
Moss: Yeah.
Blake: That watch cost more than your car. I made $970,000 last year. How much you make? You see, pal, that's who I am. And you're nothing. Nice guy? I don't give a shit. Good father? Fuck you -- go home and play with your kids!! (to everyone) You wanna work here? Close!! (to Aaronow) You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cocksucker? You can't take this -- how can you take the abuse you get on a sit?! You don't like it -- leave. I can go out there tonight with the materials you got, make myself fifteen thousand dollars! Tonight! In two hours! Can you? Can you? Go and do likewise! A-I-D-A!! Get mad! You sons of bitches! Get mad!! You know what it takes to sell real estate?
(He pulls something out of his briefcase)
Blake: It takes brass balls to sell real estate.
(He's holding two brass balls on string, over the appropriate "area"--he puts them away after a pause)
Blake: Go and do likewise, gents. The money's out there, you pick it up, it's yours. You don't--I have no sympathy for you. You wanna go out on those sits tonight and close, close, it's yours. If not you're going to be shining my shoes. Bunch of losers sitting around in a bar. (in a mocking weak voice) "Oh yeah, I used to be a salesman, it's a tough racket." (he takes out large stack of red index cards tied together with string from his briefcase) These are the new leads. These are the Glengarry leads. And to you, they're gold. And you don't get them. Because to give them to you is just throwing them away. (he hands the stack to Williamson) They're for closers.
I'd wish you good luck but you wouldn't know what to do with it if you got it. (to Moss as he puts on his watch again) And to answer your question, pal: why am I here? I came here because Mitch and Murray asked me to, they asked me for a favor. I said, the real favor, follow my advice and fire your fucking ass because a loser is a loser.
(He stares at Moss for a sec, and then picking up his briefcase, goes into inner office with Williamson)
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 3:09 pm

The miss and I should be there.
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 3:14 pm

We're there! Me, my girlfriend, best friend and, as of now anyways, RPD3 and his woman.

Arrive Friday at 3. Leave whenever Sunday.
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 4:04 pm

What about Matto?
Judging from this post, I'd suspect not.
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 5:43 pm

I'd suspect not.

you'd be right...

personally, I couldn't hate all of you more...in jest...HAVE FUN kids, boy do I wish I coulda swung it!!
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 5:47 pm | Edited by: No Big Thing

Yeah!
Right about now (whats up)
It's time for the real nigga roll call
Now when you hear your city or state being called
You put your motherfuckin' middle finger up in this bitch
ATL, St. Louis, Alabahma, Chicago, The Carolina's, Naptown,
DC, The Bay Area, VA, Miami, New York niggas( U AIN'T KNOW?), texas

My finger's up Lil' Jon, it's up!
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 5:49 pm

personally, I couldn't hate all of you more...in jest...HAVE FUN kids, boy do I wish I coulda swung it!!
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 7:55 pm

i'll be there friday! (but i'm in memphis already since i live here. :P)
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 8:31 pm

Only going to the ultra-secret invite only show.
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 8:36 pm

You're coming over tonight?
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 9:27 pm

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 9:30 pm

Only going to the ultra-secret invite only show.

I'll be at the one for the inane in town. See all of you there!
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 9:42 pm

me & a buddy coming from ohio. staying at kings's court. on the road as of thurs a.m.

i believe beer joint and a couple of his friends from louisville are making their way down, too.
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 9:56 pm

Give that person a brief touch. Subliminal touching
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 10:01 pm

lindCee, Dutch and I are driving down from Kalamazoo in the KIA on Friday and meeting the Gourmet who's flying in from Vegas.

Itinerary for Friday:

10am - wake Dutch up by knocking on his door
10:30am - drive past a Wafflehouse with a top 10 ranked bathroom in the world according to the Travel Channel
11am - drive past nuclear power plants and gain supper powers
11:30am - time travel back into Central Time Zone
12pm - stop at Taco Johns in Kankakee, IL and talk about how Cuntpuppet is funny
1pm - first complaints about Illinois start
2pm - Dairy Queen and a shit
3pm - drive past birthplace of Jimmy Johns
4pm - be converted to Baptists by the fuckingham Effingham 200 foot tall cross
5pm - Surf Punks cd played for the 3rd time
6pm - road boners
7pm - stop for a candy cigarette break
8pm - get scared thinking about the time we watched Paradise Lost
8:10pm - score Master P chips and stand outside the Hi-Tone looking in
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 10:15 pm

"Supper powers". Essential!
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 10:23 pm

road boners

HEE-HAW!!!
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 11:49 pm

Taco Johns in Kankakee, IL

pick me up some green sauce.

-one of the ryan browns you know
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 11:50 pm

Hang out at Goner Records and wait for Eric O to sign autographs...then scream like girls like when the Animals played Ed Sullivan...
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 11:54 pm

P.S. lots of shit talking and bitching personal issues will come into conversation..tears may be shed..then get too sad to hang out in Memphis drive back home listening to Wilco and Fleet Foxes. Bummer Summer bra.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 8:02 am

I, the 3rd Greatest Lurker in Goner Board history, will be attending as one of the representatives of the "Dallas Asshole" contingent.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 9:07 am

You're coming over tonight?

I was talking about the Bacardi Silver velvet rope event.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 9:08 am

drive past a Wafflehouse with a top 10 ranked bathroom

Don't forget to upper deck 'em.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 10:42 am

We'll be there in about 33 hours!
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 11:28 am

Got 30 minutes out of town and had issues with the rental car. in the process of switching out vehicles now after driving 10 miles back towards Chicago. Hope we get there in time for Paynes.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 11:46 am

Hope we get there in time for Paynes.

No, you won't. Tomorrow maybe.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 3:32 pm

I'm in, of course. Got tickets for both nights. Joe, I'll be playing the role of the "very happy girl with a big glass of bourbon."

Is anyone else interested in going to see Animal House at The Orpheum on Friday evening before the Hi Tone? Movie starts at 7:15 and admission is $6. There's a full bar, so you can drink while you watch the movie on the big screen in a gorgeous old theater. Plentiful a/c, too - this weekend's gonna be a HOT one!
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 3:43 pm

this weekend's gonna be a HOT one!

Should I pack for rain?
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 3:48 pm

No rain...but you'd wish there was.
It's VERY hot here.

Hey Joe, will you still come for Gonerfest? I'm hoping this isn't and either/or thing for you. Either way, have a great time this weekend...
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Bunch of us rolling in from Asheville. Woohoo!!!!!
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 3:56 pm

i'll be cruising down beale street around the same time the movie is starting, gina. i'm giving ghost tours that night until 9 then running my happy ass to the hi tone asap. walk right past the orpheum on the tour, actually telling folks about the ghosts that live inside. (there's 6 of them).
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 4:11 pm

I'm going for black/gay pride week. But I might come check out the show.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 4:14 pm

which park are you going to be at?
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 4:23 pm

I'll be deep in the woods at overton on Fri. and I'll probably just use J.Waggs for home base the rest of the weekend
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 4:25 pm

thought you might be over at this one

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Event?oid=1530861
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 4:26 pm

Hey Joe, will you still come for Gonerfest?

Totally... already put in a request for time off!

How hot? Humid too I'm guessing?
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 4:30 pm

upper 90's
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 4:32 pm

and yes, very humid. feels like a goddamn sauna. i love this place, but geebus, it's fucking miserable during the summer.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 4:36 pm

Totally... already put in a request for time off!
Good! I'll probably miss running into you this time.

It is really, really hot. Puking hot. Hot as I ever want it to be. Hotter than I ever want it to be. Seersucker hot. Don't drink cheap beer hot. Very, very, very hot...and I hear it will be worse tomorrow.
AND YEP, HUMID TOO!
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 5:17 pm

Don't drink cheap beer hot.

it is NEVER that hot. ever.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 5:24 pm

theres nothing wrong with drinking cheap beer when its hot, the important thing is to remember you dont need to drink nearly as much of it. maybe only half as much as normal.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 5:37 pm

I'm going for both nights- dragging a great ol' crusty and fine American with me. If you smell an old dude lookin' sour and sporting a CRAMPS tee- tell Randy hey and buy him a beer.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 5:37 pm

Jeal-ous...
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 5:38 pm

Don't drink cheap beer hot.

I was contemplating this earlier... my one reward to myself for giving birth is to not drink shitty beer anymore if I have a choice...my question then is this, what are the "best beers" served at Hi-Tone so I don't have to ask?

I'm currently on a Negra Modelo kick in the name of breast feeding but I doubt they have it.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 5:43 pm

tell Randy hey and buy him a beer.

Randy Holden!!! Sweet!
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 5:53 pm

When I jog in this heat I feel like God.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 5:56 pm

When I jog in this heat I feel like God.
Yeah, nuthead...jog in this heat and you'll get to meet him.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 6:07 pm

When I mow the lawn in this heat I see God.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 6:58 pm | Edited by: Useless Eater

I was contemplating this earlier... my one reward to myself for giving birth is to not drink shitty beer anymore if I have a choice...my question then is this, what are the "best beers" served at Hi-Tone so I don't have to ask?

Order a Unibroue. I think that I had a Trois Pistoles when Eddy Current Suppression Ring played a few years back. Tastes like secessionist Canada. The Maudite (damned) is my favorite but they didn't have it.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 9:13 pm

first memphis event. coming in from atlanta and will be there friday night around 8 memphis time. anyone want to recommend a good spot to eat near the hi-tone?
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 11:34 pm

anyone want to recommend a good spot to eat near the hi-tone?

duh....LAMPLIGHTER BURGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

or the best grilled cheese in memphis! No cussin round Shirley!!!!
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 8:59 am

someone get a good picture of Greg playing the amp we built for him at one of these shows!
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 10:07 am

The HiTone has pretty good food, but don't know if they'll be serving in all the madness.
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 10:11 am

Please don't turn on a pizza oven, HiTone.
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 10:25 am

Remember that scene in schindlers list where all the people get really hot and take off all their clothes, then proceed to dance wildly in that big hot room?

That's kind of what it's going to be like tonight.
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 12:00 pm | Edited by: Scott

I'm currently on a Negra Modelo kick in the name of breast feeding but I doubt they have it.

The Hi-Tone actually has quite the selection of nice beers. Most people at Rock and Roll shows simply choose to go cheap. When there's a Jam Band in there you can't keep the import/microbrew cooler stocked. It's been a few years since I worked behind the bar there, but I believe they do have Negra Modelo...or at least did.
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 1:21 pm

someone get a good picture of Greg playing the amp we built for him at one of these shows!

nice amp!
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 1:21 pm

JAMES- J WAGS IS CLOSED BABY - GONE!
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 2:05 pm

Pleasantly surprised by the lack of humidity and the nice warm breeze.
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 2:22 pm

first beer.
going to Goner, then to somewhere else.
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 6:35 pm

cooler stocked

from what Ive heard you could never keep a cooler stocked
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 7:23 pm

The Artisan is fucking FAB-U-LOUS!!! Kid and Play all over this shit!

If I smell nice at the show tonight it's because I walked through the lobby on the way out.
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 1:29 am

kicked it with the eater and dutch at the lamplighter. then went to murphy\\\'s for some dual bass assault then a shoving match broke out amongst the redneck earthcrisis crew. anyone want bryants in the morning?
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 2:47 am

anyone want bryants in the morning?

You running a delivery service?
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 2:53 am

I'm naked!
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 3:34 am

Just ordered a steak sandwich from peabody room service.
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 3:43 am

going to answer door in the peabody robe. as an experienced robe dweller I would rate the peabody's at 3.5 stars. very light and agile. geometric weaving. a good everyday robe. from a hotel of this stature I would expect a heavy straightjacket of a robe, like a lead blanket of velvet and fuzz. perhaps they employ seasonal robes at the peabody, but this one would not suffice in the winter months.

I am bout to eat some steak in this bitch.
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 3:46 am

wish i could be doing that
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 4:13 am

we will be releasing 50 tix at the door Sat (tomorrow). 1st come, 1st come. 9pm doors. $20
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 9:38 am | Edited by: saispas

I always imagined the Peabody would have that velvet and brocade type robe and leave a complimentary burgundy cravat for their male guests.

I have yet to sleep more than 2 hours. So I've been gardening. It never ends.
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 10:43 am

Good to see so many of you dudes last night, despite our harrowing day of cancelled flights and spur-of-the-moment 9 hour drives.
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 11:23 am

any videos yet?
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 11:24 am

Just ordered a steak sandwich from peabody room service.

did you put it on the Underhill's tab?
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 11:33 am

cool secret show:

Posted: Jun 20, 2009 7:47 pm

need to powder your stuff tonight. anybody melt at murphys today? i was heat stroked out at 1 pm today. lame. drove to oxford. unparty. hateraids by the galon needed. and a cellphone as big as a computer.
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 10:27 pm

i was heat stroked out at 1 pm today
SPEEDO time.
Posted: Jun 21, 2009 2:52 pm

Why on earth did you go to Oxford?
Posted: Jun 21, 2009 2:53 pm

That was me. ^ Somebody forgot to sign out, and I forgot to "I'm gay. It's true." 'em.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®