Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Ladies, Help Me Find a Dress
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 9:33 pm

Appropriate for a bridesmaid dress, but not bridesmaid-y. I'm digging emeralds and deep blues/teals and yellows...Can be any color except black and earth tones. I hate shopping, so help!
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 7:11 am

Hmmmm...check the sale section at Anthropologie? They typically are good with color. What is your style?
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 10:15 am | Edited by: Razor A Go Go

I like a fitted bodice and open hips, generally. Like all the dresses in the dance scene from the Parent Trap. No spaghetti straps, please. I got bigguns.
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 11:33 am

http://www.trashydiva.com/site/indexNOW.html

40's and 50's styles...saw them used as bridesmaids dresses once...3 girls, all with very different body types, each got to pick their own. They are well tailored and fit busty really well...
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 12:26 pm

I realize this is cheap but there are super cute dresses at target right now with beautiful jewel tones.
http://www.target.com/Merona-Trapunto-Dress-Lush-Moss/dp/B001P6ZDD2/qi d=1244568333/ref=br_1_9/189-5964556-0360066?ie=UTF8&node=144456011&fro mbrowse=1&rh=&page=1

If you dresses that shit up with heels and jewels, it could work if it is a daytime, outdoor kinda wedding.
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 5:11 pm

25% off all dresses at crazy beautiful down highland right now.
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 6:37 pm

I still need to go in there (crazy beautiful) but I am crazy broke for another month or so.

That dress from Trashy Diva is so gorgeous. I like the Target dress too...there are some flowery ones there by Tracy Feith that may fit the bill too.
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 11:36 pm

The Trashy Diva site won't let me link a specific dress, though the black one on the home page is great...there's one on sale that comes in royal blue (my goddamned favorite color to wear at the moment) and green...their stuff definitely has total rockabilly chick appeal, but as long as you don't dye half of your short bangs fuschia and accessorize with dice and flames, most of the pieces are just plain purdy indeed...the lingerie shop is fucking superfab too!
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 6:52 am

@ Skank Police - the halter ones that are like $35?
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 8:07 am

the lingerie shop is fucking superfab too!

I bought a floral print, bias-cut 30's rayon nightgown and wore it to a friend's wedding here in 1999. After Vegas Thunder played, we all got kicked out of the Brooks and my place at the time was on the other side of the park. I ended up drunkenly stumbling across the greens sans heels to welcome the wedding to my house and ripped up the entire hem. I ended up selling it somewhere. It was the perfect summer wedding dress for a Memphis summertime outdoor wedding...so think "NIGHTGOWN."
Posted: Jun 23, 2009 9:25 pm

So I ended up, so far, with this and this.

#1 is an alternate.

#2 was a last minute that I never in a million years would have tried on and ended up doing so at the last minute. In theory, I hate it - taffeta, halter, weird crap on the bottom. But it looked fucking awesome on me so I got it. However...major side-boob issue. The saleswoman thought foundations could help, so I went down to that department and the woman told me that no fucking way I could wear that dress...that it was made for like an A-cup...how the fuck anyone my size could be an A-cup would be not only odd, but unfortunate. Any suggestions on amazing wonderful bra that won't fucking show and still keep my junk in place? I am totally demoralized. For once I take a risk on something so totally out of my element, and it works majorly, except for the bigguns. :(
Posted: Jun 23, 2009 9:57 pm

I don't get it...a halter with gathered cups is the PERFECT style for a busty girl...ala the Trashy Diva dress, and many that I have myself (D cups, sister). You can get it on, right? Why would one sales person say "yes", and the other, "no"? Is it just made without enough fabric for good coverage? I would try Nordstrom or Neiman's for a bra, the sales people usually know their shit...or the stick on puppy tape cups...
Posted: Jun 23, 2009 10:36 pm

I don't get it either. The first salesperson was a dress lady, the other was a bra lady. And not for nothin', but apparently I am a size that I wasn't aware existed...Perhaps b/c the taffeta doesn't really have any scrunch/give in the chestal area whereas those TD dresses seem to be sateen or something with a little bit of stretch or expandability/coverage? How do TD sizes run? I'm 14-ish...some dresses in that size being way too fucking big, some of them way too fucking small. Dear god, I hate shopping.
Posted: Jun 23, 2009 10:41 pm | Edited by: Windy

I have to say - that style dress is typically great for large breasteses and curvy hips, so I'd ditch the advice of the bra lady.

If the dress makes you feel great, wear it. take a girlfriend/trusted man friend to help you find a flattering bra.

and if you're anything like me...don't forget to take the dress with you when you go bra shopping.
Posted: Jun 23, 2009 11:53 pm

If you're a fan of fuller circle skirts and classic details, then you'll love our new Trixie2 dress! This dress has a lot of construction details that assure even the most buxom beauty will love it! The sides of this dress are HEAVILY gathered with elastic. The front bodice has the inner construction most akin to a bra to keep you in place. The skirt is circular cut to give you volumes of fabric. The cotton gives the skirt a crisp line. This dress has a generous sizing, so check the size chart and order the smallest possible size to assure the most flattering fit.

From the TD site on the Trixie halter dress for $34...they're pretty accurate...measure your self and check the size chart...
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 1:39 am

I don't get it either. The first salesperson was a dress lady, the other was a bra lady. And not for nothin', but apparently I am a size that I wasn't aware existed...Perhaps b/c the taffeta doesn't really have any scrunch/give in the chestal area whereas those TD dresses seem to be sateen or something with a little bit of stretch or expandability/coverage? How do TD sizes run? I'm 14-ish...some dresses in that size being way too fucking big, some of them way too fucking small. Dear god, I hate shopping.

http://www.stopstaringclothing.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail& p=290

get an XL in that. hot. :) i have a few of their dresses and love them. it's not a full skirted dress, but they fit nicely for whatever size. proportionate for various sizes. and i have a big ass and it fits me nicely.

or...i know it's really odd, but i've had some sort of luck with that store cache when i am looking for dresses. they're actually able to do tailoring/alterations for you too. and they'll order stuff in your size if they don't happen to have it there.

this: http://www.cache.com/cache/control/product/~category_id=0120/~product_ id=05044C35550041

and they usually have a lot more in the stores than just that. so if they have one around you, it may be worth your while to check it. :) they're a little bit more expensive, but for what they have, it's generally worth it..
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 8:32 am

elle, that green dress is lovely. I think it would be good looking even for a shape like mine--the fantastic Jackie O no breasts look combined with Rhoda hips. Maybe as long as you have hips, that dress (any wiggle or pencil skirt) is good.

Halter dresses, on the other hand, are NOT for the tiny of breasts. I've found empire waists with cut in shoulders to be the most flattering style, but am game for any fitting advice.

And good work Razor. I know it is a pain.
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 8:42 am

Love that green dress, but I tried enough form-fitting ones on to know they aren't for me. Fucking beer gut and Catholic ass...:(

Gonna try to hit a few more places after work today. I would like to find something definite soon as the event is like a month away and I want to be able to return any maybes before the CC bill comes.

I usually have an okay time dress shopping...I may try a bunch on but usually end up with 'the one' after one store...

Checked the cache site out - we have them here, but looks like they only go up to a sz. 12, which is usually kind of iffy on me.
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 8:48 am

I had this one custom made from this pattern...a netted/satin pinstripe over lining with satin straps and belt/sash thingy...ended up being kind of underwhelmed with it...
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 9:18 am

I'd like to go on record here as saying there's nothing wrong with side boob. I think you should just go for it.
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 10:20 am

Oh, I love side-boob. Unfortunately it doesn't really work unless you're like an A-C, and a model or starlet of some sort. And it'd be a LOT of side-boob...floppy jallopies...
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 10:56 am

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 1:42 pm

Goooooo modesty dresses!
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 11:17 pm | Edited by: Razor A Go Go

So ordered some sort of 100-way bra from Victoria's Secret today, just to see if I can somehow get them in the awesome halter dress...but...bought dresses 3-6 today just in case:

3...really awesome, though maybe more appropriate for the rehersal dinner, though i can't justify buying two brand new dresses for this mess. i love it, though...matches the bride's invites, sort of rockarolla peacock psych show posters theme she got going...not loving the thinner straps on it, is the only thing.

4...real pretty, flattering, but more of an alternate than a knock-yer-socks off sort of deal...a safety choice

5....but in a deep teal/peacock blue-ish color. never in a million years would've picked it up but a friend thought the color was up my alley...fucking loved it. gonna have to try it on with better things underneath, as it bunched slightly above my ass...the shuttering, while not really a fan of it on racks or in pictures, is really flattering and causes cool things to happen with light and color in the fabric...thinking of a bright green shoe with it...i'm think it's b/w the tit-torture halter, this one, and the next one:

6 is this brand.//color with a slightly different bodice...actually liking the neckline on this one a little better...maybe will order it too :) ... need to call macy's and see if they do free alterations, as it went a bit futher below my knees than i like. i think it's b/w these last two and the halter one, though. squee! shopping day 2 was way more productive

now on to making a fascinator for this weekend....ohhhh, fingers
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®