| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / drag me to hell
Posted: May 30, 2009 9:42 pm

pretty awesome.

hail lamia!
Posted: May 30, 2009 10:53 pm

I totally dug it. go see it!
Posted: May 31, 2009 12:43 am

dang. i saw the breakfast club version of star trek. next time i'm draggin J9 to hell... oh, wait, she already lives with me. how bad can it be?
Posted: May 31, 2009 12:44 am

Yeah, I'm kinda eager myself. Justin Long's been alright with me since Waiting & Sam Raimi has been god-like since the 1st Evil Dead.

Good lookin' out. Thanks for the heads up.
Posted: May 31, 2009 12:44 am

ps raimi rules when he's on fire so... great to hear it's good!
Posted: May 31, 2009 9:17 am

I can't wait for this...the whole cursed loan officer premise is golden as it is.
Posted: May 31, 2009 10:55 am

I was totally turned off when I saw it was PG-13. All horror movies should be rated R. Still good?
Posted: May 31, 2009 11:02 am

you're a pg-13.

I said it was good. and I hate everything!
Posted: May 31, 2009 1:03 pm

I was totally turned off when I saw it was PG-13.
It is one violent-ass PG-13 movie.
Posted: May 31, 2009 1:29 pm

Saw it a couple of days ago. Totally great! Best horror movie I've seen in years. Laugh out loud funny in parts too.
Posted: May 31, 2009 1:36 pm

Movies are stupid. Unless they're about Rock N Roll or skateboarding.
Posted: May 31, 2009 2:18 pm

Fucking ruled. Old lady barfs maggots on bottle blonde. Made me jump.
Posted: May 31, 2009 2:24 pm

Movies are stupid. Unless they're about Rock N Roll or skateboarding.
how old are you?
Posted: May 31, 2009 2:46 pm

said it was good. and I hate everything!

Yeah, but you hate a lot of stuff that's good. I'm not sure that your liking it doesn't make it suck.
Posted: May 31, 2009 5:26 pm | Edited by: Mullett

Hell yes, ninja!

Best horror movie I've seen in years.

Hell yes, ninja!

Movies are stupid.

Cheer up, Rich! Hey, if you don't like John Maine, I have an autographed Fernando Martinez card that I got out of a pack last year. E-mail me a good address for you & I'll forward it to you. I know you like the 'Mazins & I want you to have it.

genemullett@hotmail.com

Best horror movie I remember seeing is the 1st Hostel. Can anyone suggest anything as recent as that which was as good as that for horror? I loved horror as a kid, but just really don't watch it any more.
Posted: May 31, 2009 7:14 pm

That remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was pretty good.
Posted: May 31, 2009 7:14 pm

That remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was pretty good.
Posted: May 31, 2009 8:23 pm

Eh. Pretty much 'Night of the Demon' for the modern teen. If you find loud, clanging noises terrifying, well, you'll be terrified.

Plus, I would've never thought Pasadena had such a thriving evil gypsy subculture.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 12:29 am

Plus, I would've never thought Pasadena had such a thriving evil gypsy subculture.
dude, its a movie.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 9:36 am

The trailer doesn't do this movie justice at all, I went in with low expectations. This movie was great!
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 11:58 am

I said it was good. and I hate everything!

This should be a new section of the Goner Board that only allows posts from Jason.

Also, a Hullabaloo section for Matt Muscle for all things Tulane University related.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 12:46 pm

Pretty good!
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 9:41 pm

and I hate everything!
except for me.
I also had low expectations but thought it was damn good. Lots of barfing and fists down throats. That hanky was pretty creepy too.
Hooray!
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 11:11 pm

This should be a new section of the Goner Board that only allows posts from Jason.

call it the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
section
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 11:29 pm

This should be a new section of the Goner Board that only allows posts from baker.

call it the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
section
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 11:37 pm | Edited by: Rich Balls

Baker:
section

coming from a zzzzzzzzzzzz mother fucker!
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 2:32 am

Best horror movie I remember seeing is the 1st Hostel. Can anyone suggest anything as recent as that which was as good as that for horror? I loved horror as a kid, but just really don't watch it any more.

if you liked Hostel I'd recommend Cabin Fever...same director but I thought it was funnier and more demented

then if you want just ugly creepy dreadful flicks
The Girl Next Door
Irreversible
Audition
The Descent (not the rosario dawson rape flick)

and for more funny gory mayhem done right
Slither
Shaun of the Dead
Bubba Ho Tep

and watch The Host for just a great old fashioned creature feature type flick
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 4:50 am

if you liked Hostel I'd recommend Cabin Fever...same director but I thought it was funnier and more demented

Sweet! I remember seeing the ad for it with the red skull in the background over the cabin.

Irreversible

The French movie that runs backwards where the guy gets his face pounded in with the fire extinguisher? If so, I've seen it.

Slither

That movie just didn't do much for me.

Shaun of the Dead

Too charming to be a horror flick. When they were face-to-face with zombies by the end of it, I really wasn't worried for any of them.

Bubba Ho Tep

Way too retarded to be scary, but not without its charm.

The Host

Saw all of the hype regarding this movie including the quote that it was as good as Jaws, so I made a point not to miss it. Great monster. Not scary enough. Used Kids Records has some mega-packaged DVD of it & some other Korean movies, but I'm not biting.
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 5:17 am

there's no way I'm getting scared by a movie anymore so the fact that something wasn't scary enough does nothing to lessen my enjoyment...if there's monsters, and gore I consider it a horror movie

if you want something to scare you I'd go for movies like irreversible, the plague dogs, maybe audition.......it'll at least creep you the fuck out, but those are all way more rooted in everyday life than most horror
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 6:59 am

irreversible

Is that the same Irreversible to which I responded in my previous post?

the plague dogs

Is that the animated story by the people who did Watership Down? If so, I own it.

audition

Will look into it. Thanks. I'm eager to see Cabin Fever, too.

I guess I should've said "suspenseful" instead of "scary." Hitchcock still keeps me on the edge of my seat more than most of movies I've seen in recent years.

Shaun Of The Dead was just hardly horror to me, even though there's zombies in it & people die. Most of that movie was pretty light-hearted. A movie like Bubba Ho Tep to me is way more sci-fi than horror.
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 9:09 am

really looking forward to 'drag me to hell' from what i keep hearing. going to see it at the drive in tomorrow.
for recent horror, stick with the french:

inside
martyrs
frontiers
them
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 9:29 am

the french are horrific.

and coming to gonerfest!
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 11:05 am | Edited by: jerryd

My son and i are going tomorrow night.

Can't wait!
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 11:06 am

Also, a Hullabaloo section for Matt Muscle for all things Tulane University related.

How about a "I Can't Believe Its A Law Firm" section for
Slopkins and Bizer.
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 12:50 pm

Is that the same Irreversible to which I responded in my previous post?

yes

the plague dogs

Is that the animated story by the people who did Watership Down? If so, I own it.

yes

I guess I should've said "suspenseful" instead of "scary." Hitchcock still keeps me on the edge of my seat more than most of movies I've seen in recent years.

Shaun Of The Dead was just hardly horror to me, even though there's zombies in it & people die. Most of that movie was pretty light-hearted.

I understand and most people seem to feel this way, but for me the moments of horror get magnified when juxtaposed against the light hearted stuff ie when shaun's mom gets killed and the glasses dude. Way more than some random kids at a summer camp who you've only heard utter one sentence and gave you no reason to like them. Take the movie Cabin Fever. You might not like it cause you don't really give a fuck about any of the characters, so when they die or are put in precarious positions you just want to see what happens

I'd like to see a movie like Parenthood or some other family film where at the very end there's a home invasion and everyone is killed....that's be way more of a horror movie than say the remake of TCM.

A movie like Bubba Ho Tep to me is way more sci-fi than horror.

well elvis and the egyptians are from space so I guess I can kind of see where you're going with that, but where exactly would you place Alien
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 1:31 pm

well elvis and the egyptians are from space so I guess I can kind of see where you're going with that, but where exactly would you place Alien

That's a pretty good question. I apologize 'cause I just don't remember that much about the movie. I remember regarding the 2nd movie, it sucks 'cause there's no aliens in the 1st half, but they make up for it 'cause the 2nd half is all aliens. I don't especially remember any gore in it, either.

I would bet Alien is in the sci-fi section of Best Buy & not the horror.

Bubba Ho Tep is just too ridiculous. JFK AND Elvis plus your soul is going to be sucked out of your ass? For real? What is a movie watcher supposed to think? ("Run Elvis or your soul is going to be sucked out of your ass!")

Take the movie Cabin Fever. You might not like it cause you don't really give a fuck about any of the characters, so when they die or are put in precarious positions you just want to see what happens

I don't mind watching a movie & rooting for someone to die. Kinda like the attorney in Jurassic Park. I thought it was going to be a kids movie, but when the attorney buys it, it's on! I think you could file Jaws & [/i]Jurassic Park[/i] under horror, but I could see where someone might call either a drama.
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 2:10 pm

Jaws & Jurassic Park[/i] under horror[/i]

i think those are classified as 'man vs. nature'
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 2:16 pm

I like ridiculous waaaaaay more than serious
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 4:39 pm

I finally know what Paul Dianno's singing in "Prodigal Son." Thanks.
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 6:04 pm

i think those are classified as 'man vs. nature'

I've been on water & seen sharks, but in all of my travels, I've never run across a man-eating dinosaur. Hope you get the better of it in the event you do. If that dinosaur kills you & I am the coroner, I would not list the cause of death as "natural causes."

Also, where is the 'man vs. nature' section amongst Border's DVDs?

If you think JFK & Elvis fighting to keep their souls from being sucked out their asses is that great, you like ridiculous waaaaaay more than anything.

I'm not saying Bubba Ho Tep doesn't have it's charm 'cause it does. I'm saying if someone asked me for a horror recommendation, it would not come to mind.
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 6:13 pm

Strictly Ballroom?!
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 9:25 pm

Best horror film I've seen in a while was last year's 'Let The Right One In' out of Sweden. Chilly and pitch-black in tone, but not without some hilariously devilish moments.
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 9:46 pm

Best horror film I've seen in a while was last year's 'Let The Right One In' out of Sweden. Chilly and pitch-black in tone, but not without some hilariously devilish moments.

REALLY great & creepy movie... & one of the better vampire flicks of recent memory... you can rent it at Blockbuster, which I found odd...
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 11:24 pm

'Let The Right One In'

I work with a guy who fukkin' LUUUUUVED that movie. He gave me a DVD of it, but I just haven't gotten around to watching it.

I think that was part of some series of movies that included Donkey Punch. Donkey Punch is about these college age kids who are on holiday & they wind up meeting some other kids who take them out on a yacht. They are talking about donkey punches & then one of the girls & one of the guys hook up & bang. Naturally, he accidentally kills her with a donkey punch. The rest of the movie is the proverbial "OMG, what do we do with the body" & the aftermath that goes with dumping a body at sea.
Posted: Jun 3, 2009 9:35 am

Alright,I take it all back. Drag Me to Hell is Awesome. The best horror movie I've seen in...a long fucking time. I always want to like horror movies, but they don't actually scare me. Granted once your over the age of 18 it's hard to scare anyone that knows they're watching a movie. So then you're just looking for suspenseful, but most movies are too predictable to even accomplish that. There's a lot of movies that have been hyped as being good horror movies in the past few years, and I've hated most of them. Saw, Hostel, Texas Chainsaw Massacre...all terrible (the re-make of The Hills Have Eyes wasn't bad, and I liked the re-make of Halloween although it wasn't actually scary).
Let the Right One In was fucking awesome, but I wouldn't call it a horror movie even though it was about a vampire. It was weird and creepy and beautiful, but it was more a coming of age love story than horror.
Drag Me to Hell actually made me jump in my seat several times. The story is great, and, even though I saw the ending coming, I enjoyed seeing it through.

Alien is a horror movie. It just happens to be set in outer space.
Posted: Jun 4, 2009 3:31 pm

Best horror film I've seen in a while was last year's 'Let The Right One In' out of Sweden.

Isn't this about pedophilia and grooming your next victim? (haven't seen it)
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 9:09 am

Best horror film I've seen in a while was last year's 'Let The Right One In' out of Sweden.

Saw this in the theater and loved it. Such a drag how they fucked up the subtitles on the DVD.
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 9:30 am

Saw this in the theater and loved it

Exactly. And how hot did that chick look while in the grave with those muddy titties!
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 9:38 am

Alien is Sci Fi Horror

The two are together an actual genre of its own. Bubba Ho Tep (more of a late night cult genre flick) is funny for what it is. Gets a good laugh from most I've watched it with.

I am now interested in seeing Drag Me To Hell after reading this thread.

Oh, and I totally agree the French have effed up flicks. A great Ho-tepish one to check out that's French is "Night of the Living Bread". Retarded!
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 9:55 am

A great Ho-tepish one

is this a genre?
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 10:10 am

yes, yes it is. ;p just kidding.

i meant that the night of the living bread is similar to bubba ho tep in regards to being a rediculous late night cult novella and or parody. does that clarify it?
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 12:06 pm

Jaws & Jurassic Park
Both get filed under Action Adventure at the video store where I work. However, I don't trust the guidelines for the way they sort stuff.
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 12:59 pm

i couldn't get through let the right one in. i was bored. i think i was in a bad mood and had no patience for a movie.

the orphanage scared the shit out of me multiple times.
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 11:43 pm

Agreed...Anyone seen This Film is Not Yet Rated? I guess if those fat housewives aren't confronted with NAKED muddy titties, then all the rest can pass on by.

This movie had me laughing loudly and screaming like I was on a good roller coaster. Good job, Raimi!
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 11:37 am

Justin Long's been alright with me since Waiting

Uggh, I didn't realize "I'm a Mac" was in this. Having watched "He's Just not that into You" on Saturday and "Drag me to Hell" on Sunday, I had a bit of a MacMan overload this weekend.

I found he was far better suited to his role in "He's Just not that into You" than the one in "Drag Me..." I kept hoping he'd get dragged to hell.
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 1:11 pm | Edited by: jerryd

Easily Justin Longs best work:

Posted: Jun 8, 2009 1:50 pm

I kept hoping he'd get dragged to hell.

Without giving the ending away, let's just say I thought this way as well.

My dad pointed out that no one else in the theater was laughing, which I didn't notice because I was laughing and screaming and not paying attention to anyone else. However, it made me think we should have gone over to the Majestic in Hickory Hood to see it for obvious fun reasons.
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 2:18 pm

Having watched "He's Just not that into You"

Didn't know he was in it. Have no intention of watching it. It's gotta be a "chick flick" if there ever was one.
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 2:46 pm

Most definitely a chick flick. Credits say it was based on a book, all the while I thought it was based on a Sex And The City episode with that cute little oriental girl that's on NCIS.

Maybe it's based on a book that was based on a Sex and the City episode???
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®