Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Moving to Portland...missing the South already...no friends up there...hang out with me?
Posted: May 25, 2009 11:07 am

I am leaving Galveston and all my hurricane heartbreaks and moving to Portland for a few years.

I already miss fat people, Mexicans, oak trees, black people, thunderstorms...etc.

I really dont know anybody that way, the closest friend right now is Sean Spits in Seattle...so please get in touch if you are in Portland and will listen to records and eat good food with me!

Neisha
neisha504@gmail.com
Posted: May 25, 2009 12:54 pm

already miss fat people, Mexicans, oak trees, black people, thunderstorms...etc.

Plenty of the first two here.
Posted: May 25, 2009 3:57 pm

Plenty of all of those here! You shoulda moved to Memphis!
Posted: May 25, 2009 6:11 pm

Not many thunderstorms... Maybe a hand full a year.. maybe... Better practice being nice in Portland... Most people have really thin skin here... Sometimes I miss Va. But I think of all the Rednecks... Lots of Tweakers here...
Posted: May 25, 2009 6:14 pm

I already miss fat people, Mexicans, oak trees, black people, thunderstorms...etc.

You coulda done Milwaukee if you were going north anyway.
Posted: May 26, 2009 10:50 am

Plenty of all of those here! You shoulda moved to Memphis!

No kidding! You'll like certain things of Portland and you'll find lots of Mexicans, but the rest of that stuff you will be missing BAD. There are fat people there though, but somehow, it ain't the same.
Posted: May 26, 2009 10:57 am

There are fat people there though, but somehow, it ain't the same.

It's because we keep 'em-- like the Mexicans and Asians-- out by the airport or down in Milwaukee.
Posted: May 26, 2009 10:58 am

There are fat people there though, but somehow, it ain't the same.

do they not sweat when they eat or something?
Posted: May 26, 2009 11:12 am

Yeah, I think that is it.
Posted: May 27, 2009 1:33 am

sean spits might eat you!!
Posted: May 27, 2009 11:47 am

out by the airport or down in Milwaukee.

Ya mean Milwaukie?
Posted: May 27, 2009 1:54 pm

Ya mean Milwaukie?

Ah! He's turning Midwestern on Portland fast!
Posted: May 27, 2009 7:52 pm

turning Midwestern on Portland

Well the entire midwest has moved here haven't they?

Not many thunderstorms... Maybe a hand full a year.. maybe... Better practice being nice in Portland... Most people have really thin skin here... Sometimes I miss Va. But I think of all the Rednecks... Lots of Tweakers here...

There might be something to say about the company one is/keeps-eh-hem.
Posted: May 27, 2009 9:35 pm

the south misses you back
Posted: May 27, 2009 11:16 pm

Neisha,you'll have fun. Let these folks hep ya out. The goodest locals in PDX are all on here.
Posted: May 28, 2009 5:48 am

I endorse Neisha as a top quality person and friend. She makes homemade bicuits and jam. You couldn't find a better person!
Posted: May 28, 2009 8:30 am

I agree there are some fabulous people in Portland...but you'll remember every black person you see as you can likely count a years worth of sightings on two hands and a years worth of actual human interaction on one. It is a little disconcerting.
Posted: May 28, 2009 10:11 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Unless you ride the 72 bus on a regular basis, then you'll run out of toes to count 'em on. When I first moved to NE I had regular interaction with my dark skinned neighbors. I, along with most of them, can't afford to live there anymore, however.
Posted: May 28, 2009 10:17 am

We're going to go on a cross country trip this summer and I KNOW my girlfriend is going to end up wanting to move to Portland after she visits, but I don't know if I could live somewhere so white. It's not that I'm some "need diversity" PC super-douche liberal...it's just more kind of like cities like that are the "Stuff White People Like" to the extreme all the time. I'm used to living in cities that have bigger black than white populations.
Posted: May 28, 2009 10:27 am

it's just more kind of like cities like that are the "Stuff White People Like" to the extreme all the time.

yup. but they are a timid lot and easy to push around... until they get their lawyers involved.
Posted: May 28, 2009 10:57 am

I, along with most of them, can't afford to live there anymore, however.

No kidding! I have to say that those dark-skinned neighbors would initially looked SHOCKED that a white person would greet them on the street or at the bus stop.

If anyone goes to that Korean market on NE 7th at Knott and they still allow black homeless guys out in the neighborhood, say hey to Johnny, the sweetest deaf/mute wino you'll ever know.
Posted: May 28, 2009 11:02 am

I just saw Johnny last week!

or maybe it was another sweet deaf/mute wino, but it was on Fremont & MLK so I'd guess it was the same guy.
Posted: May 28, 2009 11:03 am

Johnny, the sweetest deaf/mute wino you'll ever know.

hey leftpeg, is that the same guy who scared the crap out of sam when he was moving and was in the truck?
Posted: May 28, 2009 11:49 am

Did he scare him cos he looks scary and can't talk? He looks kinda sketchy but then he smiles and you melt. I think I've told this story here but when my 16 year old cat Lucy went outside and laid down to permanently go to sleep on the sidewalk, Johnny was the one who ran up to our door and was crying and trying to talk and he spelled C-A-T in his hand to Ryan...heartbreak central. I didn't even know he knew us or Lucy until then.
Posted: May 28, 2009 11:56 am

Did he scare him cos he looks scary and can't talk?
kind of, sam was in the moving truck and turned around with his hands full to see the guy standing there
Posted: May 28, 2009 12:06 pm

hey leftpeg, is that the same guy who scared the crap out of sam when he was moving and was in the truck?

It's the same guy, but it was me who scared the crap out of him. It was when I moved up from San Francisco. It was night time and both Sam and I were in the back of the moving truck and I see these two black men walking together down the middle of the street towards us. No big deal until they suddenly split up and one of them starts heading around the side towards the front of the truck and the other guy starts approaching the back of the truck. Not knowing much about Portland at the time, the first thing I thought was that we were going to get jacked. So, I stood and waited to see what was going to happen and then right as the guy gets up to the truck he doesn't say anything and then he leans in and quickly reaches inside his jacket like he's going for a gun or something. I wasn't going to wait to find out, so I quickly reached up and grabbed the bottom of the door and whipped it down. I scared the shit out of him. He jumped back about 5 or 6 feet and then started spouting all this gibberish and I was thinking what the fuck is this. Then he reached back into his coat and pulled out a bit of paper explaining that he was a deaf/mute and then it all became quite clear. He looked pretty shaken and I felt pretty bad, so I gave him a beer, which seemed to do the trick.

I didn't really think about it until now, but I guess that technically makes Johnny the first new person that I met when I moved here.
Posted: May 28, 2009 12:11 pm

ah yeah, fuzzy memories
Posted: May 28, 2009 12:35 pm

He looked pretty shaken and I felt pretty bad, so I gave him a beer, which seemed to do the trick.

a beer always does the trick for Johnny. good dude, he is.
Posted: May 28, 2009 1:35 pm

Lots of Tweakers here...
Riding the MAX regularly confirms this. Meth mouth/face galore.
Posted: May 28, 2009 1:47 pm

We're going to go on a cross country trip this summer and I KNOW my girlfriend is going to end up wanting to move to Portland after she visits,

yeah, if you come during the summer, she'll definitely want to move here. the summer's beautiful. fall, winter, early spring... not so much.

but I don't know if I could live somewhere so white.

i felt the same way, moving here from SF, but i'm working in the northeast part of town, and it's not so bad. which isn't to say that it's not a really white town, but there are plenty of areas where it's not so much. the city's spread out pretty far - you just have to find the right spot.
Posted: May 28, 2009 1:55 pm

in my neighborhood, whitey- numberwise- is on par with southeast asians and mexicans. and lots of russians, too, who are slavs, and according to the nuremburg race laws, not aryan.
Posted: May 28, 2009 2:49 pm

My apartment complex is approx 50 % latino, 35% white, 10% black, 5% other.

There are GOBS of Rooskies in the area, though, so I have Piroshkis available in the neighborhood. Unfortunately there is no Pho within 5 miles :(
Posted: May 28, 2009 3:40 pm

Who cares "how black" an area is? Are black people special sauce or something? It's weird to see this hyper white guilt shit, people who "aren't racist" don't care either way. Y'all sound like my parents, projecting superhuman qualities on every black person they met - "suuuuuuuch a nice guy, no?" It's friggin demeaning and almost as offensive as the jackasses throwing sheets over their heads and burning crosses.
Posted: May 28, 2009 4:06 pm

heeehaawwww!

NEISHA i miss you brown ranger....i just saw a missed call. i'll hit ya back tonight. damn, gonna be at the beach this weekend wish you could too
Posted: May 28, 2009 4:28 pm

Who cares "how black" an area is? Are black people special sauce or something? It's weird to see this hyper white guilt shit, people who "aren't racist" don't care either way. Y'all sound like my parents, projecting superhuman qualities on every black person they met - "suuuuuuuch a nice guy, no?" It's friggin demeaning and almost as offensive as the jackasses throwing sheets over their heads and burning crosses.

word
Posted: May 28, 2009 4:41 pm

I lived in Lake Oswego.
Begin the lack of racial diversity jokes......NOW!
Posted: May 28, 2009 4:41 pm

fuck that, i'm moving to kinshasa.
Posted: May 28, 2009 5:05 pm

word
words..
Posted: May 28, 2009 5:32 pm

Neisha has white guilt???

don't think so.
Posted: May 28, 2009 6:07 pm

..more like everyone else who's posting/projecting has it....all I've gotta say is this is the 6th state I've lived in...all cities have their pluses and minuses...there are a lot of comfotably smug self proclaimed saviors of the world here...which are annoying, yes...but if righteous indignation isn't quite your cup of tea, there are plenty here who would be willing to smoke speed out of a light bulb with you and rob some liquor stores...it all depends what part of the spectrum, or which side of 82nd, you fall in/live on....most, I think, fall somewhere in the middle....words of advice, check it out for yourself....you might just like it...
Posted: May 28, 2009 6:27 pm

Posted: May 28, 2009 7:09 pm

A New Sarpy man!
Posted: May 28, 2009 9:37 pm

White guilt? Not quite, I just like a little variation. Its a black thing, you just don't understand. Now go pick me up some Popeyes, dark meat natch. I'll give you the bones so you can gnash on something with more substance.
Posted: May 29, 2009 7:50 pm

hang out with these guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.myspace.com/hitmebabypunk
Posted: May 29, 2009 7:54 pm

wow...if there was ever an idea that shoulda stayed in the bong...
Posted: May 29, 2009 9:50 pm

BOOOO BLACK CANNIBALS!
there's no blacks in asia.
its awesome.
no major crime.
everyone's nice and friendly.
and even if they tried to start some
shit they're like four feet tall.

charles went to the hospital yesterday
for an ear infection, saw a doctor in 10 minutes.
they had kickboxing on a big screen tv.
free internet and tea.
place was super clean and efficient and cost $50
with medication.
just like charity!

neisha go to dante's and ask for gator.
problem solved.
Posted: May 29, 2009 10:04 pm

neisha go to dante's and ask for gator.
problem solved.

Ain't that the truth!
Posted: May 29, 2009 10:05 pm

problem solved.
and hangover started..
Posted: May 29, 2009 10:11 pm

hang out with these guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.myspace.com/hitmebabypunk

At least their one joke has more legs than The MisFats.
Posted: May 31, 2009 2:25 pm

they are a timid lot and easy to push around... until they get their lawyers involved.

hahahaha
Posted: May 31, 2009 3:16 pm

trying to make a push to get gator and erica down here to memphis for gonerfest.

muscle-threaten him with a stabbing if he declines.
Posted: May 31, 2009 4:30 pm

trying to make a push to get gator and erica down here to memphis for gonerfest.

I'm def making it this year. i'll get on em too.
Posted: May 31, 2009 5:51 pm

Due to friends in town I fear a gator evening or two in the next week...
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 9:37 am

I'm def making it this year. i'll get on em too.

that's great Patrick. you know you got a place to crash if you need it.

i think Huth and his lady are gonna make it down too. PARTY!
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 1:31 pm

Look for Matt Ruhland out there. he works at some place called the Brass Rail I think. Hug him and he will have beers with you.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 1:45 pm

Who cares "how black" an area is? Are black people special sauce or something?

I think it's less about actual black people and more about the homogeneous nature of Portland. I mean, being surrounded by upper-middle class liberal bourgeois farmer's market Subaru driving group-thinkers all the time can be exhausting. And there's this weird attitude/phenomenon where because no one actually has to confront crime, race relations, or significant corruption in any real way, they get all righteous and blow-hardy about everything. It's this strange brew of well-intentioned liberalism and un-self-aware race/classism.

Diversity rules!
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 2:19 pm

The assumption that

Y'all sound like my parents, projecting superhuman qualities on every black person they met

is somehow true of me and anyone else that you don't even know (obviously your parents are fair game) is

friggin demeaning and almost as offensive as the jackasses throwing sheets over their heads and burning crosses
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 2:19 pm

strange brew of well-intentioned liberalism and un-self-aware race/classism.
well put...but it's also how much you react to it, and who you hang out with...cuz there's definately a "real" portland under the shangri-la fantasy....limiting your time on hawthorne and belmont..or at New Seasons, is a start..
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 2:20 pm

cuz there's definately a "real" portland under the shangri-la fantasy

This is true, but don't you think it got to be more work at some point to avoid the shangri la fantasy?
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 2:55 pm

Shit. I must be hanging out in all the wrong places.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 2:59 pm

Who wants to deal with crime, sour race relations and significant corruption? Isn't that the kinda crap you'd rather avoid if possible? It makes absolutely no sense to want inherently bad things in your life, unless you hate yourself.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 3:21 pm

Nail>Head
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 3:24 pm

Um, it's not like we live in 'New Granada' or something.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 3:41 pm

there's 15 year old Russian hookers, psychotic meth-heads, 18th & 13th St Mexican gangs... all within a few blocks of my house.

there's plenty of trouble to be found if that's what you really need in life.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 3:44 pm

it got to be more work at some point to avoid the shangri la fantasy?
depends i guess....forced interaction via work or location can be grating...but i dare ya not to have a good time drinkin with Petey and Jake and crew @ club 21..or anywhere else for that matter....the rainbow collective can twirl about to their hearts content in their portland...I got mine...
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 3:55 pm

I double-dog dare ya
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 3:55 pm

It's on!
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 4:12 pm

but i dare ya not to have a good time drinkin with Petey and Jake and crew @ club 21..or anywhere else for that matter

I certainly don't argue with this at all and had plenty of fantastic times in Portland and I realllllly don't want to get back into some stupid internet assault with people I don't know at all about Portland ever again for the rest of my life. Let's just say it wasn't my cup of tea for a place to live and Memphis is. As was Oakland and if Chicago had been a tad bit warmer, I doubt I'd have too much of a complaint with that city.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 4:44 pm

I hear you...a lot of it is right place for the right time of your life...I lived in SF for 10 years, and it was great for me then, but definately not now...I totally see your point, I'm just pretty hyped on my chosen city to date, as I'm sure you are as well..
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 5:37 pm

Chicago had been a tad bit warmer

heh heh. no problem. we could do with one less westher crybaby.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 5:39 pm

Yeah, agreed. I loved Portland a lot from 2000-2004 and no way in hell could I live in Oakland today! I mean, I am actually considering buying an old farmhouse in Crawfordsville, AR and moving to the country for our 5-7 year plan! To each their own...I certainly am in no place to question where anyone else lives or why they choose to live there.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 5:43 pm

Somewhere in between country and city is the best. I could buy a calf, chicks or hay bales on my way home, but could still see a hipster or two if I take a half hour bus ride.

If I ride the bus for an hour, I'll experience hipster overload.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 6:01 pm

I've just fallen in love with these tiny old farm towns near Memphis--Crawfordsville and Proctor being my faves. The irony is my family is originally from Proctor and my mom, aunt and uncle just sold the last of our land.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 6:14 pm

i knew some folks from proctor
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 7:20 pm

I met this guy who ended up being the son of my mom's friend (there were about 7 original farming families back in ye olden times) and he just moved back to Proctor after being in Sonoma County, CA running an organic farm and doing the whole farmers market thing out there for years. Now he is back on his family's massive land right on the Mississippi doing an organic farm here. I think it is great! I found a 1932 farm cottage on a 1/2 acre in Crawfordsville for $77K. Yep. It is a bit further than Proctor is from Memphis and as SSSSSSS says, that may be a bit TOO far for us at this point.

Anyway, I miss the farmer's markets and great food in Portland and this guy and others like him are bringing it here by buying farms cheap in Arkansas and farming organically and it keeps growing. So in a way, the West Coast is making inroads here in good ways by bringing farming back.
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 9:48 am

Ug, I grew up out in the sticks, woods/farms...no thank you. There are farmer's markets/organic foods everywhere in Wisconsin, it's not hard to pick up meat/dairy/veggies in Milwaukee. There's a huge Farmer's Market just up the road from me right in the downtown area. That (and peace & quiet I guess, if you like that shit) is the only good thing about living on or near a farm. I worked with an organic farmer this winter who home delivers too, across about half the state. There's no delivery cost, you just have to wait until they hit the route in your area (some are weekly, others biweekly).

Farmland make-up isn't very diverse, is it? I think it's a bit different in the south. Here it's Poles/Germans/Belgians and that's it. Just whitey.
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 10:22 am

It is more diverse than there...lots of blacks, whites of varying classes and a huge influx of itinerant farmers who are Mexican or Central American...I am sure I am romanticizing it more than a little, but hey, when I am 50 years old, it might be my speed, who knows?

Memphis has a downtown farmers market that is really great and some of the best Arkansas farmers are there. I don't go as much because we moved "out East" which gets a bad rap from some in Midtown Memphis for not being "diverse" enough, but I can vouch that it is a hell of a lot more diverse than Midtown is these days. Unless you are talking about crime and then Midtown has East Memphis beat right now.
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 10:59 am

massive land right on the Mississippi doing an organic farm

I'm sure it's gorgeous...I like vegetables...I like cultural diversity...but I fucking HATE SNAKES, and that's mainly what that image brings to mind...so I do believe I'ma stay right here!
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 11:12 am

The most snakes I ever saw in my life were in Flawrida. These crazy black racers everywhere. When we had a yard sale, they were mating and chasing each other back & forth all over our yard for hours, jumping from the ground into bushes and generally being really scary...though they are harmless, I don't care!!!
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 11:29 am

It's too cold during winter for poisonous animals here - SW area by the Mississippi has some little timber rattlers, but that's it. No poisonous spiders, bugs, whatever. I'm not a big fan of animals that can kill me or send me to the ER. We do have black bear, but those things are scared of their own shadows. Non-poisonous snakes don't bother me at all, used to pick 'em up and play with them as a kid (until a grass snake bit my thumb and wouldn't let go for 10 minutes). I definitely get being 50 (fuck, it's only 11 years away!) and living out in the country...my thought is out in the woods on a lake, and fishing every day. I could get into that! Too easily bored right now, though.
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 1:57 pm

I like garter snakes a lot and will pick them up, but black racers, though non-poisonous, would bite and are scared shitless of people and are so fast, I doubt I could have ever caught one anyway.
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 7:09 pm

Um, it's not like we live in 'New Granada' or something.

Rainbows Are Ludes
Posted: Jun 4, 2009 9:05 am

got word from Gator last night. they're coming for Gonerfest!
Posted: Jun 4, 2009 1:02 pm

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 10:33 pm

some of these "people"

The gutter punx are too busy 'spangin' for heroin and waiting to get free dental work from the Oregon Health Plan (you're welcome, assholes!) to have a "dark & violent subculture".
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 12:19 pm

Most of the dropped their spikes and started glam bands
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 12:47 pm

some of these "people"

Those people in that book were likely the inbred looking street kids originally from places like Hillsboro, Dallas, Gresham and the old Columbia Villa, exemplified by the crew that murdered that developmentally disabled street kid a few years back under the Steel Bridge...not the heroin-addicted gutter punks, many of whom can't get it together enough to apply for OHP, much less make a dental appointment. Unfortunately, I know about this depressing shit from my few years working at Outside In.
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 3:09 pm

we sure are painting one lovely picture for ms. Neisha...
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 3:15 pm

the crew that murdered that developmentally disabled street kid a few years back under the Steel Bridge...not the heroin-addicted gutter punks

Yeah the ones to watch for are the kids in big pants and Sketchers with their eyes too close together
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 6:18 pm

Yeah the ones to watch for are the kids in big pants and Sketchers with their eyes too close together

HA!! far as I know, there's nowhere in North America where this is not a prudent rule of thumb...and Portland's got nothin' on...say, San Jose with that shit...
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 11:36 pm

Nowhere has this type worse than Florida, but at least they aren't living on the streets and allowed to the point of passive encouragement to live in this fucked up fantasy world of street families.

I could tolerate the crusty junkie train hoppers and the tranny "I'll shoot anything in my veins" crews much easier than the everyone has a stupid street name and looks to get in fights if "you fuck with my 'sister', dude!" contingent. I mean, I am supposed to be empathetic, but I just could not get past supreme annoyance with that crowd.
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 1:25 am

Juggalos!
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 2:24 pm

San Jose

Depite all the hype about how awsome it is to move to Portland, become a "bike mechanic", live on Alberta St., ride a fixed-gear bicycle, get a dog and join a math-rock band, the ugly truth about Portland is that it's kinda like this.
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 2:41 pm

Depite all the hype about how awsome it is to move to Portland, become a "bike mechanic", live on Alberta St., ride a fixed-gear bicycle, get a dog and join a math-rock band, the ugly truth about Portland is that it's kinda like this.

Not in SE it ain't.... yet...
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 2:43 pm

destroyer- I get paid Tues night at midnight if you want to come to Kelly's and help me and Nick get me broke again. Going to make a night of it I am
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 2:49 pm

so I should move out to 161st, drive a souped-up Civic, get a cat and join a clown-rap posse. Maybe I then could pass for "Portland Native"?
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 6:18 pm

I may miss my friends,but i sure as hell don't miss Portland.

I bet Neisha isn't even reading this thread anymore :) .
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 12:09 pm

say, San Jose with that shit...

all I know is, when I get mooched here in SF (for change) I usually ask the bum where's he's from and it's almost always the Pacific NW --- and they look like it too --- white trash from the get-go.

i haven't been up there for a few years but Portland always struck me as the whitetrashiest place on the whole West Coast.

even Seattle is waaaay more "diverse". no wonder Po'land has been "hipsterized" --- it was the easiest place to do that, and they can easily grow moss on their north sides
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 12:36 pm

I just went to a highschool graduation out in the sticks near Bend.

Made Portland look like the most sophisticated center of cultural diversity on the damn planet.

This thread sucks.
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 12:40 pm

saturday market rules!!!
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 12:41 pm

voodoo doughnuts, yeah!!! those doughnuts are craaazy!!!
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 2:03 pm

Bunk!! Simpatica! and a muthafuckin' MOUNTAIN in our skyline!...Holla!
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 3:26 pm

shopping on NW 23rd!!!
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 3:27 pm

the Rose Festival!! The world's greatest city celebration!!!
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 3:42 pm

a muthafuckin' MOUNTAIN in our skyline!...Holla!

Matto, the muthafuckin' VOLCANO on your skyline is bounds more impressive than that Disney Mt. Hood shit.
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 3:48 pm

Dave Zalesky on Channel 8 weather! Home town of Simpsons creator Matt Groening!
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 3:49 pm

VOLCANO on your skyline
St. Helens..true dat...but Hood is ALSO an active volcano...just hasn't blown it's top in a while..
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 4:05 pm

Matto, the muthafuckin' VOLCANO on your skyline is bounds more impressive than that Disney Mt. Hood shit.

Don't forget that pretty much all the big mountains in the Cascades, including Mt. Hood, are volcanoes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cascade_eruptions_during_the_last_40 00_years.png
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 4:39 pm | Edited by: The Troll

Posted: Jun 8, 2009 4:54 pm

Yeah, but that top lopped off like that is pretty bad ass. I had almost daily competitions between the two when taking the bus home from Downtown everyday and Mt. St. Helens was the hands down champ.
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 5:06 pm

well worth the drive to the Johnston Ridge Observatory directly across from the crater of St. Helens ...so fucking awesome...
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 5:08 pm

Drum Circle Coven Death feels mighty earth vibrations from Holy Tabor, jah (see, full circle). I think I'll go practice some Poekoelan by the 2nd reservoir tonight and ponder race relations.
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 5:11 pm

Um, cough cough, volcanosumshit, cough,the end is nigh, cough.

If you're including Mount Tabor, then you'll probably have to include some of the ones on this map too.
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 5:17 pm

If you're including Mount Tabor, then you'll probably have to include some of the ones on this map too.
For sure. It's all about the Buttes!
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 5:19 pm

Yeah, but that top lopped off like that is pretty bad ass.
Yes it is.
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 5:38 pm

don't forget the house show scene! very important to have a bunch of unbathed 18-year-olds standing around in your living room and listening to some cello-playing band (quick, get Willamette Week on the phone!)
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 1:58 pm

don't forget the house show scene!
despite that..I've seen some killer ones...a nice option to have..Pure Country Gold doin all Bad Brains covers comes to mind, somebody out of the "pit" almost going through the living room window...glass everywhere...i am also a huge fan of those things at OTHER peoples houses..
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 2:07 pm

Portland is awesome and a very easy place to live. Everything is accessible, it's full of trees, both Bush administrations hate it, you can ride a bike from one side to the other in a half hour, there are usually three bars on any given corner, not too hot, not too cold and a (beyond) thriving sex industry skanking around in windowless hovels in part of the city, Can't beat it.
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 2:11 pm

you're beyond thriving..
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 2:27 pm

Are you talking about West Virginia?
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 2:40 pm

Portland Rules. I miss meeting up with Petey at Club 21. I miss Apizza Sholls where the owner spelled Marry Me in basil on a pizza when I proposed. I miss the taco carts. I miss seeing my friends bands play all over town. I miss the Mighty Clack, the Washougal, the "not so secret spot" on the Sandy and the place on the Mollala that Seantos and Carizee hipped me to. I miss Gator, Huth, Seantos, Mikey Brooks, Red Fang dudes, Melanie,Hugh Hesher, Ellen and Felicia, Black Elk boys, Rives and the rest of POC(RIP Quality Dan.) Powells, Mississippi records, The Fresh Pot, and my girl Megan Ponder.
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 10:18 pm

The irony is my family is originally from Proctor and my mom, aunt and uncle just sold the last of our land.

A similar thing happening with me and land in my family (only in Texas hills rather delta). Such a huge bummer.

Cool to hear about the organic farmers movin in.
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 9:37 am

I didn't care at first, but now I am more than a bit miffed. I don't think we could afford to buy in Proctor now.

Oh yeah, this is about Portland.
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 2:35 pm

I like Portland. I don't like Denver. Have I said this before?
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 3:17 pm

despite that..I've seen some killer ones

yeah, there's "house shows" and then there's "the house show scene" that my ancient 28-year-old brain read about here: http://www.wweek.com/editorial/3343/9521/

I suppose I remember a time before I was 21...something about dragging a wall of half-stacks into a coffee shop or two...
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 3:26 pm

I managed to roll through Portland the other day only seeing one hipster (rolling a fixed gear with a giant Go Lakers! card in his front spokes, lo-rise jeans and a faded military-looking cap, and a general look of stank).

Got down to the Waverly Marina and took the boat up to Fred's Marina, an area generally safe from the hipster scourge.
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 3:30 pm

Oh I forgot, I saw a gaggle of young ladies on the Sellwood dock. I figure they were prolly wiccans and went to Reed College. It was a full moon out, they musta been having a seance on the river.
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 3:45 pm

giant Go Lakers! card

OBVIOUSLY a newcomer to Portland or one of those horribly offensive hipsters who ironically "like" sports only to lambaste anyone for asking about their supposed team with a litany of how "stupid" sports are.
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 3:55 pm

giant Go Lakers! card

was it Jailblazers rejectionism?
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 4:55 pm | Edited by: frankenspline

one of those horribly offensive hipsters who ironically "like" sports only to lambaste anyone for asking about their supposed team with a litany of how "stupid" sports are.

acceptable hipster sports: kickball, bike polo, dumpster-diving, ironic croquet

acceptable hipster sports for girls: crafting, using your trust fund to open a boutique
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 5:38 pm

was it Jailblazers rejectionism?

Any true Blazers fan would find an excuse for abandoning pit bulls that wouldn't fight or throwing a used handtowel in a teammate's face or hey, selling cloned cell phones on MLK in the off-season.
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 5:59 pm

acceptable hipster sports: kickball, bike polo, dumpster-diving, ironic croquet
you forgot street golf and pillow fighting
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 6:16 pm

you forgot street golf and panty pillow fighting
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 7:50 pm

neisha! Come in and shut these people up!
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 7:53 pm

leftpeg, we were playing croquet ironicly were we?
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 8:20 pm

destroyer- I get paid Tues night at midnight if you want to come to Kelly's and help me and Nick get me broke again. Going to make a night of it I am

Fuck! Sorry I missed you guys. Damn, this thread blew up! I don't even know where to start snarkily remarking.
Posted: Jun 12, 2009 4:32 pm

leftpeg, we were playing croquet ironicly were we?

Ha! Ha! There was nothing ironic about those drunken summer afternoons. Plus, I don't think "irony" had truly arrived en masse in Portland back then.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®