Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Stooges Raw Power lineup reunion/continuation...
Posted: May 21, 2009 3:55 pm

I dunno if I missed a post about this already but...

http://metrotimes.com/blog/musicblahg.asp?perm=737
Posted: May 21, 2009 4:14 pm

I can't wait for the Zombie Birdhouse reunion.
Posted: May 21, 2009 4:19 pm

If any of you reunionists had an ounce of inspiration left you'd be making new records that didn't suck instead of being stuck in the past. Sad and pathetic.
Posted: May 21, 2009 4:25 pm

you'd be making new records
When is that new Action Swingers 7" coming out?
Posted: May 21, 2009 4:36 pm

Scott Soriano is selling so many copies of my old record he ran out. Now he can devote more time to banning me on Termbo.
Posted: May 21, 2009 6:21 pm

The Igster just released a jazz-influenced album, Preliminaires, this week, btw.

yikes
Posted: May 21, 2009 6:55 pm

Iggy Pop leaping about and boasting he has "insurance on his insurance"

He had insurance for Ron -- James Williamson!

Steve Jones/Straight James, together at last:

http://www.iggypop.org/iggynews.html
Posted: May 22, 2009 1:05 am

If any of you reunionists had an ounce of inspiration left you'd be making new records that didn't suck instead of being stuck in the past. Sad and pathetic.

The Weirdness is definitely not stuck in the past- if anything, it sounds just a lickle bit too nu-metal/ fratboy and a throwback actually would have been better; those songs went down a whole lot better live though

are you that guy who got banned for saying he didn't like Flipper?
Posted: May 22, 2009 10:13 am

No way. Flipper rule.
Posted: May 22, 2009 11:05 pm

Williamson waited til Ashton died to do the reunion. What a fag.
Posted: May 22, 2009 11:24 pm

sounds like iggy didnt contact him until after ron died.
Posted: May 23, 2009 6:49 pm

if you thought the 1st or 2nd mix was bad wait til this shit hits the road. hopefully they will realize how shitty it is when they start to rehearse.
Posted: May 24, 2009 11:04 am

ugh - more bullshit from Mr. "I Got An Idea" Pop. This is about name recognition and little else. (which is no dis of James Williamson - man's gotta eat) It's not much different from, say, the "new" Ford Mustang. Just because it walks and talks like a Stooge, does not make it a Stooge. Revolutionary art requires context; the war in Viet Nam, Quaaludes, Lester Bangs, Richard Nixon, suburban youth coming of age, Gay Liberation - ah hell, just google "1973". Anyways, fuck "Raw Power". As great as it was, it was full of unfulfilled promise (which is arguably, the Stooge legacy)...and hey, Motherfucker, how about finishing "Kill City"!? if you thought the 1st or 2nd mix was bad wait til this shit hits the road. hopefully they will realize how shitty it is when they start to rehearse. We'll all be lucky if this sounds as good as "New Values". Hands up how many of y'all have listened to Ig's new jazz disc?

And yes, Flipper did freakin' RULE for one glorious flaming moment.
Posted: May 24, 2009 11:51 am

Revolutionary art requires context; the war in Viet Nam, Quaaludes, Lester Bangs, Richard Nixon, suburban youth coming of age, Gay Liberation - ah hell, just google "1973".

Exactly; some things belong exclusively to the era they come from. While they aren't revolutionary art by any stretch, I refuse to watch the remake of Shaft or Superfly or any of that; the specific moment when those things would make sense, as far as being made, is gone now. Raw Power is totally a time-and-place thing and, while I missed hearing those songs when I saw them play and enjoyed seeing them, I really don't thiink I want to go see The Stooges again. At the rate he's going, Mr. Pop is gonna rerelease those records in Dolby 5.0 Surround next...

I only mentioned Flipper as the dude there mentioned being banned from Terminal Blowjob and somebody was supposedly banned for dissing them. Haven't heard a lot of Flipper, but loved what I have heard; they're another time-and-place thing.
Posted: May 24, 2009 11:56 am

At the rate he's going, Mr. Pop is gonna rerelease those records in Dolby 5.0 Surround next...

no shit!

and yeah, I only mentioned Flipper for the same reasons. I saw 'em once. Had a drunk conversation with one of 'em. Fond memories. But haven't played either of the two 45s I own, in a long time.
Posted: May 24, 2009 2:21 pm

i wouldnt mind hearing a raw power remix in 5.0
Posted: May 26, 2009 3:33 pm

sounds like iggy didnt contact him until after ron died

I think that's right - it was something of a coincidence. Williamson had some guitars fixed at a local shop and someone there realized who he was and talked him into doing a signing at a local record store. Nice guy. There's a big article in this super-fancy glossy acoustic guitar magazine (name escapes me) about his guitars, and there's a recent photo of him next to one from about '72 where he's leaning against a grave marker. Hard to believe it's the same guy.

I guess after Asheton died, the wheels started turning in Iggy's lizard brain. Based on meeting JW, though, I'd be kinda surprised if he was into it. Still, fame is a hell of an aphrodisiac and I'll bet his kids want him to do it!

He's gonna need to do something about his look, though
Posted: May 26, 2009 3:44 pm

Iggy is shameless. Williamson made a fortune in the computer boom. He was a badass guitar player in his time. He was one of the only guitar players I ever heard who sounded like he was already half way into the guitar solo when he started it. He had instant excitement in his playing. And he and The Dolls definately wrote the blueprint for most Punk songwriting. At least the "music" part. Maybe Mick Ronson too. And Fred "sonic" Smith.
Posted: May 27, 2009 12:16 pm

James Williamson - man's gotta eat

he's a Sony exec, lives in Saratoga, vacations in Hawaii. I don't think he needs the dough.
I never heard anything about his stage presence --- would be interested in seeing & hearing the older version, for sure.
collector scum go here: http://www.stooges1971.com/

Hmmmmm --- Ron wouldn't play with James, Ron dies mysteriously, Iggy immediately books James in Part II Stooges reunion.
Conspiracy theory!!! Conspiracy theory!!! whosegotta conspiracy theory!
Posted: May 27, 2009 12:32 pm

As great as it was, it was full of unfulfilled promise (which is arguably, the Stooge legacy)...

What? They made the best album of all time! What more could you want?

Williamson is rich and successful, the only reason he would do this is screaming fans. I have a feeling this one will be really, really ugly next to the comparative (live) success in recent years.
Posted: May 27, 2009 11:23 pm | Edited by: drunk mark

I am gonna go see it.. Please no new lp though.. PLEASE!!!
Posted: May 27, 2009 11:37 pm

I am in absolute denial that is him.

Riggler is right about Williamson's guitar stylings, sounds like a volcano with a cork popping out of it, just bubbling and churning before the solo and full blast in half a second. Hopefully, they will play some Kill City, also. Consolation Prizes is one of my alltime favorite songs.
Posted: May 28, 2009 12:24 am

james williamson will look great in a hawaiian shirt, khaki shorts and tevas with grey socks. probably will play a steinberger or parker fly guitar through a line 6 fullstack played at like 3.
Posted: May 28, 2009 12:50 am

i bet it will be really good.
Posted: May 28, 2009 11:32 am

What? They made the best album of all time!
- Well, I'm of the opinion that Funhouse was their best album (I'm assuming you're referring to Raw Power) That aside, I probably listen to Raw Power (original version) more often - yes, mostly for James Williamson's moves - it was a couple of years before anyone came close, and then it was two guitar players (Voidoids).

What more could you want?
- I guess I wanted a second album. Something like Kill City, but played by that band. The "unfulfilled promise" is in the possibilities of where they could have taken that, had "circumstances" not brought everything to a grinding halt.

I never heard anything about his stage presence ---
- Intense. I only saw them play once, but James was enough of a bad-ass that it was easy to ignore the ridiculous Ziggy Stardust garb he was sporting. Maybe it just made him scarier. At one point he managed to quiet the crowd (somewhat) by slowly raising both arms and giving them the finger(s) while staring down some chump. Three thugs, and a wiseass that starts the fights they finish.

- I've got no problem with that look at all. Dude still looks like there's some "crazy" beneath the surface. If he brings the goods (see below), who cares what he's wearing?

He was one of the only guitar players I ever heard who sounded like he was already half way into the guitar solo when he started it.
- you nailed it!
Posted: May 28, 2009 11:46 am

He was one of the only guitar players I ever heard who sounded like he was already half way into the guitar solo when he started it.

Yeah, whereas Ron was already at the end when he started it, and Sonic built his like a suspension bridge high above the Detroit River, with a few ore-laden freighters going underneath on their way to the Rouge Plant to become hi powered Mustangs
Posted: May 28, 2009 12:41 pm

Dude still looks like there's some "crazy" beneath the surface

I think it's the eyes.
Posted: May 28, 2009 1:51 pm

What? They made the best album of all time!
- Well, I'm of the opinion that Funhouse was their best album (I'm assuming you're referring to Raw Power)

What more could you want?
- I guess I wanted a second album. Something like Kill City, but played by that band. The "unfulfilled promise" is in the possibilities of where they could have taken that, had "circumstances" not brought everything to a grinding halt.

I'm talking about Funhouse. What I'm saying is they made 3 albums that all sounded different and blazed trails independently. All three are great records. I can't think of more than a literal handful of bands that accomplished more than the Stooges.

You said that the Stooges' legacy was one of "unfulfilled promise." I'm saying they played their part as well as anyone ever, even if there could have been more...there always could have been more.
Posted: May 28, 2009 9:47 pm

james williamson will look great in a hawaiian shirt, khaki shorts and tevas with grey socks.

The new James Williamson
Posted: May 29, 2009 3:29 pm

he Weirdness is definitely not stuck in the past- if anything, it sounds just a lickle bit too nu-metal/ fratboy and a throwback actually would have been better; those songs went down a whole lot better live though

i agree. that album was not very good. i blame most of it on Albini. Live was a different story. Was glad I got to see em...twice. they KILLED both times. Glad to hear there maybe more from them.
Posted: May 29, 2009 5:50 pm

I want James to play with that haircut and the blue suit...
Posted: Jul 20, 2009 7:37 pm

Well, its semi-official...JW will be practicing for the inevitable Raw Power tour with local country-rock (!) band the Careless Hearts:

JAMES WILLIAMSON & THE CARELESS HEARTS
Saturday, Sep 05, 2009 9:00 PM PDT (Doors: 9:00 PM)
Blank Club, 44 S Almaden Ave, San Jose, CA, 95113

I'm liking the khaki shorts and Hawaiian shirt idea...
Posted: Jul 21, 2009 11:15 am

wait, i think i saw james williamson playing in Andrew WK's band.
Posted: Jul 22, 2009 1:20 pm

supposedly, Strait James has been "rockin' hard" lately.
Posted: Jul 22, 2009 1:24 pm

I busted out my copy of Raw Power last night, also listened to the Bomp Whisky live trax (talk about a bad taste cover!). Live version of Johanna is cool so may have to bust out Kill City, and may as well review the Iggy Raw Power remix.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 4:24 pm

This Saturday.

Nicearticleby my buddy Shay
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 4:24 pm

n e e d s p a c e s
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 4:44 pm

have we discussed this yet?

http://www.stooges1971.com/
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 11:38 am

Posted: Sep 2, 2009 12:50 pm

Can't fucking wait.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 2:34 pm

Hey Jesse, you comin' down for this?
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 6:47 pm

I'll be there.
bringing my copy of "You Haven't Seen My Love" 45 to get the DJ to play --- wouldn't be you, would it?

http://www.metroactive.com/metro/09.02.09/music-0935.html
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 7:28 pm

Nope. I think Derek from the Careless Hearts is doing a set of classic Detroit stuff.

I'll be wearing my Count Five shirt. Come over and say hi. Or better yet, say "beer."
Posted: Sep 4, 2009 4:56 pm

JW being interviewed right now on kfjc 89.7

kfjc.org

Steve Mackay will be there Sat. too
Posted: Sep 4, 2009 5:58 pm

Show booked!

ATP, England, Spring 2010. "Raw Power" in its entirety...

but you knew that already
Posted: Sep 8, 2009 7:34 pm

Set list:

Raw Power
Cock In My Pocket
Johanna
1970 (I Feel Alright)
Fun House
No Sense of Crime
Gimme Danger
I Need Somebody
Penetration
Night Theme
I Got Nothin'
Loose
TV Eye
Search and Destroy
I Got A Right
I Wanna be Your Dog
Louie Louie
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 12:04 am

how was it?
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 1:22 pm

oh yeah! James can play!!!

http://www.sanjose.com/stooges-lead-guitarist-in-san-jose-a21301

might even be better than that boy/girl duo of 21 year olds playing bad blues riffs they learned last week on expensive copies of crap guitars while wearing unironed ironic t-shirts
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 1:50 pm

Yep, he had That Sound, no doubt. Not as fluid as he was, but hey, it's been 35 years. Could've been a little louder in the mix, but basically great.

Oddly, I Need Somebody, never one of my favorites on the record, was incredible. Other favorites: Johanna, Fun House, I Got Nothin' (awesome song), Night Theme (complete with backup singers), I Wanna Be Your Dog (w/ keyboard.)

Looking forward to the tour...I'd expect they might show up at SXSW.
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 2:30 pm

No Kill City? Feh.
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 10:22 pm

anyone else think the kill city lp is a bit overrated?
Posted: Sep 10, 2009 6:49 am

i sawe williamson live three times on the raw power tour, front row, reaching up towards iggy

i saw ziggy stardust tour, 6th row center

i obviously went to a progressive HS!

bowie was no iggy. then or now. the second and third stooges are one and two in american rock history. i love it when people think guitar players should never get jobs or become successful.

he stood still the 3/4 songs of the raw power tour and threw down lightning bolts to our ears. the slade fans were checking their painted fingernails.
Posted: Sep 10, 2009 9:33 am

he stood still the 3/4 songs of the raw power tour and threw down lightning bolts to our ears.

When I saw them, about the only time James moved on stage, was to slowly raise both arms to give the crowd a double finger when they got unruly.

Looks like footage from the weekend made it to YouTube...
Posted: Sep 10, 2009 1:11 pm

He wasn't rusty, per se, but it'll sound a lot better with a stack 'o Marshalls behind him.

Surprisingly, they played a lot off the 1st 2 LPs -- Those are big shoes to fill.

Also, it should sound WAAAAY better with some Rock Action
Posted: Sep 10, 2009 2:41 pm

anyone else think the kill city lp is a bit overrated?

No Sense of Crime was kinda boring - I thought they should've done Consolation Prizes instead. But the other three from that album were great.
Posted: Nov 12, 2009 2:23 pm

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 2:43 pm

not bad.
Posted: Nov 12, 2009 3:11 pm

I wouldn't have minded seeing The Pixies reunion shows.
Posted: Nov 12, 2009 10:51 pm

I wouldn't have minded seeing The Pixies reunion shows.

I caught one of them, it was waaaay too fucking expensive but they did play for over three hours, it was good and I liked the noticable onstage tension. You could tell that they really fucking hated each other.
Posted: Nov 12, 2009 11:12 pm

sounded good to me, if there was a weak link, i'm not saying there is, but it would be iggy, music was great(going off of the brazil show)
Posted: Nov 13, 2009 12:51 am

I caught one of them, it was waaaay too fucking expensive but they did play for over three hours, it was good and I liked the noticable onstage tension. You could tell that they really fucking hated each other.

sounds great!
Posted: Nov 13, 2009 12:29 pm

iggy was flat, or at least sounded that way via u-tube. i guess he has old eardrums. it'll get better.
Posted: May 10, 2010 7:39 pm

I guess this thing's in full swing now, but they're only doing European dates (except for the ATP event in upstate NY) at the moment. Any European Goners been to see 'em yet? The clips I've seen on youtube sound pretty good.
Posted: May 11, 2010 5:58 am

Yeah, I saw them in London last weekend and I gotta say they were pretty fucking great. It wasn't great all the way through, they played some songs that weren't so hot towards the end, but the Raw Power stuff was awesome. James Williamson's guitar sound was incredible, it took people heads off, the lead breaks on Search & Destroy were insane, the guy's amp must go up to 12. I have to say, much as I prefer the first two Stooges LP's on record and Ron Asheton's guitar style, live, this line up was the better of the two. I'd go see them again for sure.
Posted: May 11, 2010 10:21 am

they are playing toronto june 19th
Posted: May 11, 2010 12:29 pm | Edited by: The Driver

they are playing toronto june 19th

free show, courtesy of some corporate entity
Posted: May 11, 2010 12:57 pm

In those Brazil videos I can't help but notice that Iggy sounds a little bit like Kate Hepburn on Search and Destroy.
Posted: May 11, 2010 1:06 pm

"This year will probably be heavier on the international (dates)," Pop said. "We haven't booked farther in the States because right now the world has made better offers ... But I'm certain that sometime within the cycle we will do a proper U.S. tour as long as no one else expires or breaks. I'll see to that."

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61J0UJ20100220
Posted: May 11, 2010 1:36 pm

if you haven't heard the 1971 stuff with Ron & James on guitars, find a copy NOW. awesome. they were playing 30 years into the future. most songs never recorded elsewhere.

best Iggy quote is: "NY pussy smells like dog shit!"

the latest remix of Raw Power is the best one yet, believe it or not.
Posted: May 11, 2010 2:11 pm

the latest remix of Raw Power is the best one yet, believe it or not.
I thought it was just the Bowie mix back in print.
Posted: May 11, 2010 5:18 pm

correct.
Posted: May 11, 2010 6:32 pm

But I'm certain that sometime within the cycle we will do a proper U.S. tour as long as no one else expires or breaks. I'll see to that."

Great! Hurry the fuck up!!

Scott Thurston, too!
Posted: May 11, 2010 9:35 pm

Scott Thurston louder than everything else!
Posted: May 12, 2010 1:49 pm

it was just the Bowie mix back in print.

no, it's way different. they went back to the individual tracks and tweaked and recombined them. no more Blowie masking of the drums/bass.
Posted: May 12, 2010 1:55 pm

it was just the Bowie mix back in print.

no, it's way different. they went back to the individual tracks and tweaked and recombined them. no more Blowie masking of the drums/bass.

The new Raw Power re-issue is indeed the original Bowie mix. It's been remastered is all.
Posted: May 12, 2010 4:44 pm

remastered is all.

well it sure sounds a helluva lot better.
Posted: May 12, 2010 6:17 pm

well it sure sounds a helluva lot better.
Maybe you just had some dust on your needle.
Posted: May 18, 2010 1:49 pm

Just added a couple of US dates:

8/29 - Aragon Ballroom - Chicago, IL
8/31 - Bank of America Pavilion - Boston, MA
Posted: May 18, 2010 3:09 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

James Williamson brought a hard edged sound to that final 1970's line-up. The naked aggression on Metallic KO was particularly brutal, bringing some power and grit the songs lacked on Raw Power. It's cool the guy could excel in the straight business world after working as a far out professional musician.
Posted: May 19, 2010 12:58 pm

naked aggression on Metallic KO

that was no guitar, it was a beer bottle
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®