Carrie Ann
then
He Ain't Heavy
Long Cool Woman
Air I breathe
Posted: May 18, 2009 7:23 am

King Midas in Reverse
Posted: May 18, 2009 9:17 am

I love me some early Bee Gees, but HOLLIES man, Hollies.
Posted: May 18, 2009 9:41 am

I love me some early Bee Gees

ditto.

the hollies had some good pop/psych jams too:

maker,
try it,
and butterfly.
Posted: May 18, 2009 11:59 am

funny. been listening to hollies box all day

all day

hollies better singles (20-25)
bee gees (15-20

hollies better music
bee gees better solo singing

hollies three good lps

bee gees 5

bee gees tko 13th rd
Posted: May 18, 2009 11:59 am

Look Thru any window,
yes. the best

but i prefer so lonely
Posted: May 18, 2009 12:09 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

I prefer the Hollies proto glam rock attempt, "Hey Willie"...they never really got down like that again
Posted: May 18, 2009 12:29 pm

Manfred mann and zombies

Tag teaming

Holies and bee gees

A heavyweight fight for the ages

In the American corner

Beach boys and Love

And left banke and the byrds

As with everything else (except prose writers) USA USA
Posted: May 18, 2009 2:15 pm

Like many of you already have, I want to say Hollies, b/c when they were on they were great. . .

But then I remember that on the Two Yanks in England record, the Everlys do eight (?) Hollies songs with the Hollies backing them up, all songs the Hollies recorded their own versions of, and in each case Don and Phil smoke Allan, Graham & co. (IMO of course.)

Now, this may have more to do with the Everlys' greatness than the Hollies' lack of worthiness, but still.

This has nothing to do with the Bee Gees. Did the Hollies ever put out an album as strong as the first Bee Gees record? I dunno, can't think of one.

In the 70s of course, one band went disco and the other covered Springsteen. Call that one a draw.
Posted: May 18, 2009 2:35 pm

Did the Hollies ever put out an album as strong as the first Bee Gees record?

That is one of the strongest ever
Posted: May 18, 2009 4:26 pm

In the 70s of course, one band went disco and the other covered Springsteen. Call that one a draw.

call me crazy, but i still think "jive talkin" is TIGHT
Posted: May 18, 2009 4:36 pm

hollies
Posted: May 18, 2009 8:08 pm

But then I remember that on the Two Yanks in England record, the Everlys do eight (?) Hollies songs with the Hollies backing them up, all songs the Hollies recorded their own versions of, and in each case Don and Phil smoke Allan, Graham & co. (IMO of course.)

not sure jeremy. two yanks is so great--a little less than roots however--hard to say whether the material (yes, 8 hollies songs) was reason or the EB themselves. as mentioned above i'm so lonely is my fave H song but the one on 2 yanks is equally mesmerizing.

as far as best BG LP: i like Odessa better than the first but listen to cucumber castle the most.

either band at their peaks cld play at my funeral. but phil and don shd be the pallbearers.
Posted: May 19, 2009 1:59 am

odessa..good lp...kinda concept-ish.
Posted: May 19, 2009 12:18 pm

If the disco era and 1980's Bee Gees/ Barry Gibb solo output hadn't ruined their chances of usurping The Hollies, never putting out a song halfway as killer as "Look Through Any Window" did.
Posted: May 19, 2009 4:24 pm

BEE GEES.
Posted: May 19, 2009 4:45 pm

The Hollies of course but once Graham Nash left they were finished. "He Aint Heavy, He's My Brother" and "Long Cool Woman" are shit.

I like the early Bee Gees. Their first "disco" album Main Course is a lot better than you think. First off its more R&B than disco, and Arif Mardin was the producer, but I have to admit Barry Gibb's whinny pitched vocals can get annoying.
Posted: May 19, 2009 4:48 pm

i hate the early soft psych bee gees. that is some seriously gay shit. i still think "how deep is your love" is one of the greatest pop songs of all time though. i love that melody/ structure.
Posted: May 19, 2009 5:15 pm

"how deep is your love" is pretty ace. these dudes were taking some heavy cues from philly soul, which in't a bad thing...

also, only one of these bands wrote "to love somebody"

(i've little use for the early psyche stuff that i;ve heard myself )
Posted: May 19, 2009 5:25 pm

re: Philly soul - "too much heaven" is as dope as anything the Stylistics ever did -- well, the vocals are slightly inferior, but you know

& without them we wouldn't have al's version of "how can you mend a broke heart"
Posted: May 19, 2009 5:43 pm | Edited by: Will

i guess it's bunk like "tragedy" that really sullied their name. i mean that song is like the sonic embodiment of bad coke - and not in a good way.
Posted: May 19, 2009 6:13 pm

first lp

by barry

a stunner
Posted: May 19, 2009 6:17 pm

why are y'all even talkin about the seventies disco shit?

you say the bee gee's "soft psych" shit is gay, but "how deep is your love" is one of the best pop songs ever written? - now that's gay.

how come graham gouldman's name hasn't been mentioned in this thread?

barry wrote his own shit.

bee gees -"Idea" that's a good song.

and I still dig some Hollies, just not some long cool woman workin for the F.B.I. or whatever their talkin about.
Posted: May 19, 2009 7:28 pm

you say the bee gee's "soft psych" shit is gay, but "how deep is your love" is one of the best pop songs ever written? - now that's gay.

cuz you don't know anything about music. don't blame me, pal!
Posted: May 19, 2009 7:30 pm

ps i almost always have the hollies in my lp bag when i dj, but i don't even own a beegees record.
Posted: May 19, 2009 9:00 pm

but i don't even own a beegees record.

that's like bragging about virginity: inactivity, apathy, or ignorance are not virtues. kindness and charity and doing favors for people are.

yr "crowd" is missing out on this:

Posted: May 19, 2009 9:32 pm

but i don't even own a beegees record.

that's like bragging about virginity: inactivity, apathy, or ignorance are not virtues. kindness and charity and doing favors for people are.

i had that soft psych bullshit lp and traded it. it fucking SUCKS. it' ain't ignorant if i know what i had (trust me, i knew exactly whnat the fuck it was) and got rid of it.

just liike it wasn't ignorant when i gave away/ sold two dead mint copies of father yod and the spirit of '76 "kahoutek" lps. it's horrible, so who gives a fuck??? i got sick money for that shit.
Posted: May 20, 2009 8:14 am

i was in "holiday"
on my way to my
19th Nevous Breakdown
Posted: May 20, 2009 9:35 am

i had that soft psych bullshit lp and traded it. it fucking SUCKS.

Man, that record is AWESOME. Best trade ever.
Posted: May 20, 2009 11:27 am

i'm glad YOU liked it!
Posted: May 20, 2009 11:39 am

Didn't they both cover "He Ain't Heavy"?

Hollies version superior, but not overwhelmingly so.
Posted: May 20, 2009 11:39 am

bunk like "tragedy

c'mon, it's got that gunshot sound in the middle
Posted: May 20, 2009 1:13 pm

I like the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack....great movie, great soundtrack.
Posted: May 20, 2009 4:59 pm

maker,
try it,
and butterfly

And I'll add "Elevated Observations"

Like JB said...these are great Hollies songs. The best imo. All the other good songs they did were by Graham Gouldman. So looking at the 2 catalogs of music, the Hollies are sooooooo mediocre compared to the Brothers Gibb. The Bee Gees recorded so many good songs before their so called "1st" album even came out. Check out those yellow and purple "Rare, Precious, & Beautiful" comps with the butterflies on the cover. They can be found in most dollar bins. Barry Gibb has written 16 #1 Billboard singles, making him 2nd in charge after Lennon & McCartney.

cuz you don't know anything about music.

This speaks for itself. Soft psych is gay but "How Deep Is Your Butt" is not. If you have a Hollies record in your DJ bag, then you have a lame DJ night.
Posted: May 20, 2009 5:16 pm

Somebody put the whole thing up in 13 parts.
The Bee Gees documentary...

Watch it if you have the time.
Posted: May 20, 2009 6:43 pm

no.
Posted: May 21, 2009 6:46 am

re: Philly soul - "too much heaven" is as dope as anything the Stylistics ever did -- well, the vocals are slightly inferior, but you know

Dead-on.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®