Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / new SCHWINN bikes
Posted: May 11, 2009 9:26 am

are they total hunks of shit? if i spend $115 on a beach cruiser, will it fall apart, or are they decently built?
Posted: May 11, 2009 9:42 am

are they total hunks of shit? if i spend $115 on a beach cruiser, will it fall apart,

Yes. Just get something old/cool offa the net. craigslist? ebay?
Posted: May 11, 2009 9:58 am

there's a year old mongoose mntn bike on c-list right now. is that horrible too? it's only $50.
Posted: May 11, 2009 10:05 am

where can i buy a bike that will let me do this:

(goners may want to watch this muted 'cause of the wanky band of horses song)
Posted: May 11, 2009 10:11 am | Edited by: kosta

that danny mcaskill video is insane. here's a clip of a blind dude who rides trials like that. pretty bonkers as well.
Posted: May 11, 2009 10:15 am

I mean, i would buy something older, that way you know you're getting a quality product. And you can probably (esp. in small town PA) find a cool old Chicago-made Schwinn cruiser for $100 or less. It'll be way better than some shitty made-by-Walmart-slaves in China thing.

PS:
Fuck a mountain bike!
Posted: May 11, 2009 10:22 am

That was always the grand prize on the Bozo Show when you got to bucket number 10
Posted: May 11, 2009 10:24 am

I guess it was bucket number 6
Posted: May 11, 2009 10:38 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

there's a year old mongoose mntn bike on c-list right now. is that horrible too? it's only $50.

Mongoose has a Dept. Store line which is total crap, and a real bike line, which consists of much nicer bikes. Same with Schwinn.
Posted: May 11, 2009 10:44 am

When I was in middle school Mongoose and Diamond Backs were the big shit. Now I see mongoose at like Wal Mart or some shit.

Kinda like how Air Walk shoes are at Payless an shit now.

or the decline of the Starter Jacket.

People should bring all this shit back in style.
Posted: May 11, 2009 10:47 am

This looks to be the best deal I've seen in PA so far...

Here's your cruiser. Overpriced, tho. replacement bars and stem, no fenders for $175? get off the pipe. If you live in a town with even minor topographic undulations, you won't want to go far on the Western Flyer, however. I never venture more than a mile from home on my 1959 flyer. And even that is too much for this old man. 50 lb bikes are harsh, brah.
Posted: May 11, 2009 10:51 am

One option is to turn that $50 schwinn mtb into a cruiser. It's an easy swap to put some cruiser bars on that thing, save your self some effort while pedalling.
Posted: May 11, 2009 10:54 am

we actually bought a pair of new schwinn cruisers last summer. We thought we would try them out to see if we would actually use them (which we did) before paying more for something nicer. I am selling them both now to upgrade... you can have the pair for $100... but they are in Memphis.
Posted: May 11, 2009 11:04 am

so are they decent bikes?
Posted: May 11, 2009 11:27 am

One option is to turn that $50 schwinn mtb into a cruiser. It's an easy swap to put some cruiser bars on that thing, save your self some effort while pedalling.

you could also get a 2 speed hub,and relace the rim! trust me you'll notice the difference. don't get a new schwinn there all pieces of crap. If you want i could score you a nice early 60's schwinn cruiser,but you'll have to pay more than 100$ for it,but you get what you pay for.
Posted: May 11, 2009 11:29 am

i'll keep checking craiglist around here. not much in the way of bikes though, and i'm kinda surprised.
Posted: May 11, 2009 11:35 am

keep looking! check on E-Gay 2. there's actually sum good deals on there for cruisers..
Posted: May 11, 2009 11:59 am

Hemant, SOLD!
Posted: May 11, 2009 12:12 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

don't get a new schwinn there all pieces of crap.

I dunno 'bout that; this one gives me wood.
Posted: May 11, 2009 12:26 pm

i'll keep checking craiglist around here. not much in the way of bikes though, and i'm kinda surprised.

If you live near a few different CL cities, rock up a search on Crazedlist.org
Posted: May 11, 2009 1:04 pm

so are they decent bikes?

Yep... Never had a problem with them. Plus you don't feel bad if they ever get stolen.
Hemant, SOLD!

Scott, They're yours!
Posted: May 11, 2009 3:22 pm

Schwinn, GT and Mongoose are all owned by a parent company now -- Pacific. It's been this way since the early 2000s.

Unfortunately, they've taken these once-reputable brands and dragged 'em through the dirt with low-end Wal-Mart bikes. But at the same time, just to make life difficult, they've continued to produce reasonable high-end bikes with these same brand names. So now a $150 Mongoose exists alongside a $4000 pro-level one-- reminding me of the whole Fender American / Mexican Standard / Asian-made Squier guitar spectrum.

That said, the department store Schwinns of today aren't the absolute bottom. They're a step or two above Magna, Royce Union, NEXT or Roadmaster...
Posted: May 11, 2009 3:45 pm | Edited by: spazZ

This lady in Milwaukee builds these motor bikes or you can just get the bike without a motor if you want. They're pretty sweet

http://custommotoredbicycles.com
Posted: May 11, 2009 5:38 pm

I have had a Schwinn "comfort bike" for over two years now, and have done quite a bit of commuting & leisurely riding with it... no complaints whatsoever. BUT, I take good care of it and it has always been stored indoors, even at work I park in the garage so it has not had much exposure to the elements.
Posted: May 11, 2009 6:12 pm

They're pretty sweet

for real. looks like the motor and the tank are clamped on so you can take it off and put it on a nother bike if you wanted, and shouldn't diminish the value of a cool vintage bike.
Posted: May 11, 2009 7:44 pm

my ex used to work for schwinn, when she left as a going away present she got the last handmade cruiser. thing was built like a tank, steel fenders, the works. weighed about 75 fucking pounds, luckily there are no hills in chicago.

i'd go the ebay/craigslist route.
Posted: May 11, 2009 7:49 pm

i ride a made by slaves wal mart early 90s huffy "white heat" mountain bike. its kinda shitty. i did choose it over a very cool old schwinn though, just because the schwinn needed new tires and tubes and the huffy was complete and just needed air in the tires. i probably will grab the old schwinn when i have some cash to waste.
Posted: May 11, 2009 9:39 pm

the schwinns you buy from a certified SCHWINN dealer are ok..other than that, they are shit.
Posted: May 12, 2009 10:17 am

the schwinns you buy from a certified SCHWINN dealer are ok..other than that, they are shit.

YUP!
Posted: May 12, 2009 10:36 am

This lady in Milwaukee builds these motor bikes or you can just get the bike without a motor if you want. They're pretty sweet

yes, they're great for cruising to the "early bird" specials at the assisted living facilities restaurant, big band night at the rec center and fun with the grand kids when they come to visit
Posted: May 13, 2009 5:30 pm

When I was in middle school Mongoose and Diamond Backs were the big shit. Now I see mongoose at like Wal Mart or some shit.

yep, i always think of that. I started seeing homies in my neighborhood wearing Stussy, what's up with that?

Also, does Dyno still exist? They were owned by GT.

I would kill for this bike
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/haro/18093
Posted: May 13, 2009 5:39 pm

yeah, I neglected to mention that Schwinn makes plenty of mid-range stuff too, for instance:

http://www.schwinnbike.com/usa/eng/Products/Cruisers/

Generally if it comes from a bike shop it's probably from that line. If it's from Walmart / Target, it's one of the cheap ones.
Posted: May 13, 2009 6:35 pm

Posted: May 13, 2009 7:41 pm

wound up getting an almost brand new mongoose mountain bike. i'm sure it's a bottom of the barrell model, but i got it locally for only $50.
Posted: May 13, 2009 7:46 pm

yep, i always think of that. I started seeing homies in my neighborhood wearing Stussy, what's up with that?

Also, does Dyno still exist? They were owned by GT.

I would kill for this bike
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/haro/18093

i think this was the must have for me

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/redline/2018
Posted: May 13, 2009 8:09 pm

i think this was the must have for me

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/redline/2018

who's the mongo that put the brake lever down so low?

this is my all-time number one: http://bmxmuseum.com/image/1985_hutch_trickstar_woody_itson_rockford_b est_of_freestyle_06_lg.jpg
Posted: May 14, 2009 8:17 am | Edited by: spyceeburrito

This belongs in a museum{] Oh wait a minute thats MY bike.
Posted: May 14, 2009 4:41 pm

I had a purple sparkle Stingwray when I was a kid. The ultimate bike. Any other bike is stupid.
Posted: May 14, 2009 6:33 pm

I had a purple sparkle Stingwray when I was a kid. The ultimate bike. Any other bike is stupid.

Stingrays are cool. I had a Chopper myself. Awesome for doing wheelies.
http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/images/ManualSSPL/10319038.aspx
Posted: May 15, 2009 12:36 pm

Chopper is for nerds

Grape Peeler rules!!!

http://www.ann-arbor-bicycleshow.com/images/015.jpg
Posted: May 15, 2009 3:01 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®