Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / More Fashion...favorite jeans?
Posted: May 5, 2009 5:37 pm

Looking for new jeans, definitely none that are "NSFW".

Also, esp. for all you guys who claim to care less, what are your favorite jeans? C'mon, you know you think about what looks good on you...
Posted: May 5, 2009 6:35 pm

plain ol' levi's.... preferably well worn-in. i'm simple.
Posted: May 5, 2009 6:37 pm

oh, they gotta be wide/boot-cut also... no tight at the ankles stuff. i'm a guy, and this is pretty much all i care about in jeans.
Posted: May 5, 2009 6:59 pm

i've always been a 501 dude, but i been wearing these lee regular cut or something that fit just the same and only cost $20. stoked!
Posted: May 5, 2009 7:00 pm

APPLE BOTTOMS!
Posted: May 5, 2009 7:03 pm

Levi's 501 button fly. Worn mid Oct-late Mar. Regular fit, por favor. My spindly shins swim in the boot cut. I got one pair o' wide legs for the rare occasion that I actually rock some cowboy boots, yo!
Posted: May 5, 2009 7:04 pm | Edited by: jerryd

This is what real men wear.

AND HORSES SEEM TO LOVE THEM!
Posted: May 5, 2009 7:12 pm

what are your favorite jeans?

i know this makes you cringe, but 517 boot cuts. they make me feel like i'm a roadie for humble pie.
Posted: May 5, 2009 9:25 pm

I am a fan of the 517s. I like 646s too. I have lately become a fan of the skinny jean now that I can actually wear them and Gap actually makes a nice, lighter weight straight leg pair that are pretty flattering. I will not ever again buy a pair of jeans that cost more than $60...I can't believe how much I spent per pair for awhile there.
Posted: May 5, 2009 9:44 pm

Levi's 510 or 511
Posted: May 5, 2009 10:34 pm

Levi's 510 or 511
ditto, also a company called bullhead has a line called dillon i like.
Posted: May 6, 2009 12:14 am

Can't wear 501's. They're a little too blousey in the thigh.

I will not ever again buy a pair of jeans that cost more than $60

Thing is, I bought a pair of Levi's 514 (slim straight) at the mall over christmas. They were $40, and came in an un-whiskered or otherwise fucked with dark denim. Wore 'em for 3 months (every other day or so) and already have some (sorta big) holes that'll eventually lead to total crotch blowout. WTF?

My fancy gay jeans on the other hand, show zero signs of breakdown after nearly daily wear for about 4 months. They're made with heavy, unwashed/untreated Japanese selvedge denim and are sewn in England by a company called Albam. They were $100, and it seems likely they'll last AT LEAST 3x as long as those shitty-ass Levi's. The cost/benefit analysis clearly comes out in favor of the expensive fruity jeans, so for now I'll stick with those.
Posted: May 6, 2009 12:16 am

I will say that my pair of 1960's twill (pre-polyester) Levi's Sta-Prest are holding up very well. They still look almost new.
Posted: May 6, 2009 3:18 am

Posted: May 6, 2009 8:32 am

Mike Stiper and his buddies all wear girls jeans to go with their record bags. Very stylish!
Posted: May 6, 2009 8:35 am

I wear Levi's 501's...and none of that vintage bullshit...any other kind of jeans is for fags...even when women wear womens jeans.
Posted: May 6, 2009 8:49 am

Oh yeah, don't forget the moustache to complete that classic Williamsburgh now/Christopher St. 1977 look! Mike Stiper is such a trendsetter.
Posted: May 6, 2009 9:09 am | Edited by: Womb Raider

Posted: May 6, 2009 9:10 am

total crotch blowout.
bike riding a lot?

I have been getting jeans from old navy for awhile now...they are only like 20 bucks and look decent.
Posted: May 6, 2009 9:17 am

I was thinking about checking out Old Navy--they probably have those very same Gap jeans with an Old Navy tag inside for about half the price.
Posted: May 6, 2009 9:39 am

Yeah, that is basically what they are....a little thinner, cheaper denim.
Posted: May 6, 2009 10:13 am

total crotch blowout.
bike riding a lot?

You'd think, but no! Every pair of jeans I've ever owned usually goes crotchless after about 1 and a half or 2 years. I do SOME bike riding, but jeeze!

I think, for the most part, "designer jeans" are bullshit- mostly they're the same shitty made-in-China, cheap/thin denim variety as Levi or Gap or whatever. And most of the made in the US/Japan/Europe shits cost like $200+ which is totally bonkers to me. Albam are the most reasonably priced, super high quality, will last many years kind of jean I've found.
Posted: May 6, 2009 10:55 am

$100 is actually chump change in the Designer Denim world! I'm gonna check it out. I have some great vintage indigo denim original 501 ltd edition remakes I got off eBay for about $70 each when they were selling for close to $300. Thing is they are now about 4 sizes too big. I still wear the smaller of the 2, but I'm swimming in these bitches.
Posted: May 6, 2009 11:00 am

Baby blue Bugle Boy jean shorts. They're a little short for my tastes but the material is sooo soft- almost khaki-like.
Posted: May 6, 2009 12:04 pm

eventually lead to total crotch blowout

yeah, what's up with that? why i stopped buying 501's.
i bought some Levi's at Target ("signature" model) and they lasted a lot longer.
have had good luck with Kenneth Cole jeans but those are more like $50.
Posted: May 6, 2009 12:46 pm

I know you said jeans, but in my skewed “what is fuckable” all man should wear;
Levis 501 (or a not too strange of a variation on the classic)
Dickies standard work pants " pretty much great on all men, they last and they are in the $20 price range and usually don’t make a guy less fuckable (unless he is unfuckable to start out with… )
Posted: May 6, 2009 1:11 pm

skinny jeans that are totally cheap as all hell are lip service ones online. but they are made cheap too...
i got some sass and bide ones that have lasted me a damn long time too.
501 Levi's with button fly worn in really are the best....
Posted: May 6, 2009 3:12 pm

Posted: May 6, 2009 3:17 pm

I wonder if Mike Stiper and Sarim sit around Mike's palatial loft in Williamburg musing about what jeans to buy? I doubt it. That even sounds too pathetic for them. Besides, Mike's a rich kid and probably has his stylist buy them for him.
Posted: May 6, 2009 3:32 pm

Who the hell are Mike Stiper and Sarim?
Posted: May 6, 2009 3:32 pm

501 shrink to fit.
Posted: May 6, 2009 3:38 pm

Ask Bazooka Joe. He spends all his spare time on Termbo.
Posted: May 6, 2009 3:57 pm

lords of the underground.
Posted: May 6, 2009 4:08 pm

MIKE STIPER IS FAG COP
Posted: May 6, 2009 4:15 pm | Edited by: rich riggler

Glad I didn't let him play bass for me. Except he could have bankrolled the band. And made little bags with our name on it for his Williamburg buddies to carry around.
Posted: May 7, 2009 3:42 am

Thing is, I bought a pair of Levi's 514 (slim straight) at the mall over christmas. They were $40, and came in an un-whiskered or otherwise fucked with dark denim. Wore 'em for 3 months (every other day or so) and already have some (sorta big) holes that'll eventually lead to total crotch blowout. WTF?

Yeah. Same thing is going on with me right now. I'm talkin' large sized tears around my wallet. Levi's 520's. I like the fit and the wash but they are about as durable as crepe paper. Bullshit.
Posted: May 7, 2009 8:34 am

Levi's has really cheaped out over the years; I want to say they were bought out by someone a number of years back which tends to lead to doing things on the cheap. Good thing there are still tons and tons of reasonably priced, well-made vintage Levi's on eBay and various shops--I'd say thrift stores but all those places were raped years ago.
Posted: May 7, 2009 9:22 am

about as durable as crepe paper. Bullshit.

Yeah, the holes that showed up in my Levi's after 2 1/2 or 3 months were the kind of holes that I normally get after TWO YEARS of daily wear (I tend to only buy one pair of jeans at a time).

I'd say thrift stores but all those places were raped years ago.

Yeah, I got my bad ass Sta-Prest at Xtabay in Portland for maybe $30 5 or 6 years ago. Chances of that happening again seem slim to none.
Posted: May 7, 2009 10:15 am

Xtabay was great but I am talking about Amvets and the like...where the same pants would have been 3.99. Those were the days. I would also find amazing deals at The Bins too...
Posted: May 7, 2009 1:05 pm

i can still find the old levi's at the thrift stores. takes some work though. the best levi's are all the vintage ones. i'll even take some 80's....
Posted: May 7, 2009 1:07 pm

i like gap/old navy jeans. i don't like the price tag so much for the gap ones, but they're a little more durable. the old navy jeans are alright. like sarah said, a little thinner, but for the price, you really can't beat them.

they're the only ones that fit around my butt without leaving a huge amount of room around my waist. i don't get it. a lot of companies seem to think if you have a big ass that your waist is going to be huge too. not always the case. :P
Posted: May 7, 2009 1:14 pm

if you have a big ass that your waist is going to be huge too. not always the case. :P

Hear, hear! I still run into this problem with the silly amount of weight I lost though--jeans will fit in the ass but my waist gets swallowed. Annoying.
Posted: May 7, 2009 1:43 pm

Xtabay

Best vintage I've found in Portland...damn, that girl is a primo handpicker! But pricey, indeed. I'm taking in a box of my Grandma's costume jewelry, just in the hopes that its trade-in value will put a dent in the cost of this LBD I'm after. Funny I haven't seen any jeans there at all...

Old Navy jeans fit me suckily, somehow the waist/crotch/hip ratio is all wrong...but GAP are alright, go figure. My Summer fave's are from the GAP outlet and are 70's style slacks, made of feather-light weight denim fabric...I'd kill for 2 more identical pairs. I've had good luck at the Levi's stores checking out some of the new styles and finding jeans on sale for $20 or so...but for me, like the rest of y'all, 501's still rule the roost.
Posted: May 7, 2009 2:14 pm

501's and 514's are the only way to go, although 514's tend to fall off my ass more than 501's (easy access).
Posted: May 7, 2009 2:35 pm

514's all they way.

I find my Levi's last for a long time w/out blowing out the crotch... & I wear 'em alot... what the hell is Joe doing in his jeans? That's the real question.
Posted: May 7, 2009 2:39 pm

I got some Uniqlo made in Japan raw denim jeans cheap the other week, and they're really heavy 14oz denim. I reckon they should last better than the Wranglers I bought earlier this year, which are wearing out pretty fast. That said I think people who spend their time talking about how their jeans fade and how the don't wash them for 6 months are weird.
Posted: May 7, 2009 2:43 pm

That blog is extremely weird.

No Uniqlo in Memphis.
Posted: May 7, 2009 2:48 pm

There are entire forums for people who take pictures of themselves in their jeans after 'wearing them hard'. Mynudies is one I can think of. It blows my mind that people spend $300 on a pair of jeans and then wear them every day without washing them for half a year, posting pictures along the way.
Posted: May 7, 2009 3:31 pm

what the hell is Joe doing in his jeans? That's the real question.

I guess my junk is bigger than your junk?
Posted: May 7, 2009 3:47 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I'm rockin' black 560s today. baggy as all hell on my chicken legs. $8 at Ross, I couldn't say no, never pay more than $10 for 'em. They'll probably .last forever since I never wear them.
Posted: May 7, 2009 3:48 pm

what the hell is Joe doing in his jeans? That's the real question.

yeah, I have this same problem. Blessing and a curse, am I right?
Posted: May 7, 2009 3:59 pm

nice try - ask around - I'M PACKIN' A ROD!
Posted: May 7, 2009 4:21 pm

I'M PACKIN' A ROD!

I bet.
Posted: May 7, 2009 5:21 pm

I like the 514 cut. My jeans need replacing, but I have a couple of pairs of cords that are holding up just fine. Gap's low rise straight cut are pretty comparable, I've got a pair of those too and they've held up extremely well. Can't remember when I got them, but it had to have been sometime last year and I wear them all the time.
Posted: May 7, 2009 5:22 pm

Even in bed? That's a bit much.
Posted: May 7, 2009 5:30 pm

somehow the waist/crotch/hip ratio

God, there was one cut of Gap jeans that I thought was great until I tried to pee wearing them. The zipper was just a bit too short and getting up and over it I always felt in danger of doing some serious damage to myself. My conclusion was that the designer was female and missed the class on common design gotchas.
Posted: May 7, 2009 5:54 pm

Yeow!!! I had a pair of zippered jeans like that once. I think they were Lees, though. too-short zippers suck dong.
Posted: May 7, 2009 6:11 pm

too-short zippers suck dong.

too-short zippers bite dong.
Posted: May 7, 2009 7:57 pm

I love my Calvin Kleins.

Isabella puts their jeans on sale a couple times a year. Got some Citizens for Humanity for $25. They fit well and looked good when I bought them, but they're a bit loose now. I think they may be running a sale right now?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®