Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Who Was Better-Loop or Spacemen 3?
Posted: May 4, 2009 4:10 pm

Toughie. Spacemen 3 had better songs but Loop could rock it.
Posted: May 4, 2009 4:28 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

Spacemen 3 gets my vote, I like em both...but Spacemen 3 have more style

And as this wouldnt be a Rich Riggler thread without some name dropping and anectdotes...my band was the opening act on Spectrum's "Songs for Owsely" tour and I got to hangout with Spaceman Willie Carruthers quite a bit and he is dude...fun to hang out with and funny as fuck...however, there were always gross junkie types backstage to bring Sonic Boom "stuff"
Posted: May 4, 2009 4:55 pm

spacemen 3 easily....and i really like Loop.
Posted: May 4, 2009 5:03 pm

Spacemen 3 by a country mile. Loop had some good songs, but Spacemen 3 had some all time great hits, and the post spacemen 3 projects have been mostly solid,
Posted: May 4, 2009 6:35 pm

SUNDIAL!
Posted: May 4, 2009 8:04 pm

SUNDIAL! vs Modern Art

I like the Modern Art album best!
Posted: May 5, 2009 1:29 am | Edited by: dont wanna be a fat boy

SUNDIAL!

now there's a name I haven't heard in forever; need to check those fuckers out again

I have yet to hear the infamous Spaceman 3, but I listened to Heaven's End on the way to high school just about every day; several different people parked next to me wondered what the fuck that noise was flooding out of my car!!
Posted: May 5, 2009 7:29 am

That Telescopes comp that came out a couple of years ago was pretty good too.
Posted: May 5, 2009 8:21 am

That Telescopes comp that came out a couple of years ago was pretty good too.

they really turned into lame pussies when they put out that self-titled in 94...hard to believe it is the same band...7# Disaster and Taste are killer however. I still havent heard To Kill a Slow Girl Walking....
Posted: May 5, 2009 8:29 am

S3 easy, Loopdude was a roadie for S3, bailed & ripped off one aspect/album ("Sound of Confusion") for the entire oeuvre. S3 changed every album, and had a huge number of great songs. Loop I can barely remember their songs...they sounded good, but they're not in the same ballbark for me.
Posted: May 5, 2009 8:36 am

Ditto on what Tricknee says--Loop was a 2nd tier ripoff.

However, some S3 songs have NOT held up. 20 minutes can indeed be TOO LONG.
Posted: May 5, 2009 11:56 am

Well, their 17 minutes of mud "Rollercoaster" cover is one of my favorite covers, ever...and I'm an impatient fucker who can't ever get through "Sister Ray."

S3 experimented a lot, so there are indeed some songs that don't sound as hot at this point, but it's like Can or whatever, they hit heights you can't hit unless you take some chances, and sometimes you'll fall on your face.

Are you talking about Dreamweapon specifically? I don't think you're supposed to listen to that record sober. Used to trip to it, people would freak...sold it cuz I don't trip anymore and have no intention of doing so again. But this was always supposed to be making music to take drugs to make music to, so there you go.
Posted: May 5, 2009 12:20 pm

Loop was not a second tier ripoff. They were equal. Spacemen 3 could never rock out like Loop and Richard Hampson was a better guitar player than the S3 guys. Plus Loop had a kick ass drummer in John Wills (who I hung out with in England). Spacemen 3 couldn't rock out in an extended fashion like Loop. And their records put me to sleep now. I vote Loop!
Posted: May 5, 2009 1:01 pm

Loop was not a second tier ripoff. They were equal. Spacemen 3 could never rock out like Loop and Richard Hampson was a better guitar player than the S3 guys. Plus Loop had a kick ass drummer in John Wills (who I hung out with in England). Spacemen 3 couldn't rock out in an extended fashion like Loop.

true, I suppose you can say that Loop was a better performing rock band...but at the end of the day if you ask what band was more accomplished in doing what they set out to do..making really far out, psychedelic music, then Spacemen 3 wins because of their different styles and different approach...with Spacemen 3 there was more to it than just really loud guitars and drums, which was Loop's bread and butter...
Posted: May 5, 2009 2:07 pm

Are you talking about Dreamweapon specifically?

Yeah. And you could be right because I did listen to it VERY sober. While trying to put together a bookcase.

Still can't get in the line for Loop! Enjoy!
Posted: May 5, 2009 3:02 pm

I think people were putting together bookcases in the background of Dreamweapon...trippy!

Since neither of these bands perform anymore, I'll take S3's records and give Loop the rockin' live band blue ribbon. Everyone's happy!
Posted: May 5, 2009 4:54 pm

Used to love Loop, especially that Fade Out record. It was good and heavy. Can't say I've popped it on the turntable in a long time. Maybe it's time. Still listen to a fair bit of Spacemen 3.
Posted: May 5, 2009 5:10 pm

Fade Out rules. One of my favorite records of all time. (All the kids I knew in England back then played Teles with lots of effect pedals and recorded at House in The Woods in honor of Loop. I remember going to see John's new band Hair & Skin Trading Co. play with Stereolab somewhere and smoking Hash outside in their van. )
Posted: May 6, 2009 12:41 pm

turned into lame pussies when they put out that self-titled in 94...hard to believe it is the same band...

Yeah, a bid for the attention of the cardigan wearing twee set. D'ya think Matt Pike is referrencing the Telescopes with High On Fire?

Man, I don't even remember what Loop records I've got anymore. Nobody at home is going to want to listen to those though.

Hair & Skin Trading Co

That either.

One chord jam last night at TSOT practice, S3 meets Molly Hatchet.
Posted: May 6, 2009 12:48 pm

TSOT

Nobody is going to want to listen
Posted: May 6, 2009 10:38 pm

Nobody is going to want to listen

No shit, even I wanted to leave at several points.
Posted: May 6, 2009 10:52 pm

i was going to suggest that. But I thought we were actually more Loop than S3, more one-chord blues, less heroin shimmer.
Posted: May 7, 2009 2:33 am

if I wanna listen to something that drones on and on I'll just read some goner board/terminal boredom threads out loud

then I'll go jack off in the children's section of the library to get that yucky feeling all these bands were attempting to conjure up
Posted: May 7, 2009 3:04 pm

if I wanna listen to something that drones on and... get that yucky feeling

You could just listen to Antiseen with the volume set to 1.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®