Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / MTV's $5 Cover
Posted: May 3, 2009 7:29 pm

how come no one is talking about this over here? forbidden topic?
Posted: May 3, 2009 7:46 pm

Posted: May 3, 2009 7:51 pm

there's more sections trhan food and ???? DUDE!
Posted: May 3, 2009 9:37 pm

i'm in a few shots, but don't talk. (at the tearjerkers show and skating in the derby scene. saw my head at the harlan show too.)

it's weird watchin it cuz of knowing these folks and seeing them around town all the time. *shrugs*
Posted: May 3, 2009 10:10 pm | Edited by: Wire

I know it's not perfect, but I really like looking at people, places, and things and recognizing them.

And on a related note, there was an awesome quote in the CA from a Music Fest band from Chile: [url=http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/may/03/memphis-in-may-2 009-g tgt-beale-street-music-in/]Every place you go has its own original style of folk music. But only in Memphis is the folk music rock and roll.[/url]
Posted: May 3, 2009 10:13 pm | Edited by: Wire

Fuck it.

Here's the quote: Every place you go has its own original style of folk music. But only in Memphis is the folk music rock and roll.

Here's the link: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/may/03/memphis-in-may-2 009-g tgt-beale-street-music-in
Posted: May 3, 2009 10:14 pm

Oh, piss on it all.

Goodnight.
Posted: May 4, 2009 10:09 am

Thought it is really well done! Can't wait to see the upcoming episodes!
Posted: May 6, 2009 3:58 pm

I love seeing all of my friends on MTV and MTV2! Quite amusing! If this were made up bullshit, most peeps would have used actors. At least this is pretty true to form, uses real people people not actor people, and covers a wide range of interests musically, and is not reflecting on us in a horrible way at all from what I can tell so far. The local musicians are singing the same notes in the same bars as we know them to actually do.

Memphis Roller Derby thanks $5 Cover! It has helped us out alot, as I am sure it has helped other businesses and musicians now getting coverage on MTV and MTV2!
Posted: May 6, 2009 4:11 pm

At least this is pretty true to form, uses real people people not actor people

yeah because that is what makes good fictionalized drama good...non actors?
WTF? Acting and writing is what makes good TV...so somehow improvised lines from non-actors is better?

I dont get it.

I know most people that have something to gain from this arent going to say anything bad...I get it, you dont shit where you eat.

But come on, this thing is unwatchable, really...if it was any other scene that was being exploited, Goners would be having a field day talking how bad it is. Really.
Posted: May 6, 2009 4:25 pm

Why isn't miss linda on this show?! That would make quality tv
Posted: May 6, 2009 4:33 pm

goners dis almost everything anyway. i loved the line about the shorts and shades and drumsticks. i love amy and think she was adorable in the 1st 3 episodes. i love harlan and thought his performance was damn awesome to watch. far from "unwatchable" as you say. what does it matter if it is fictionalized or not. it is entertainment from a guy who drew from his surroundings and put it all together to represent what he saw. as of yet, it doesn't seem like anything to freak out and get all pissed off and woe is me and this is crap about. i mean, muck sticky is a very odd genre of music that isn't my bag, but it was entertaining to see it as a part of memphis music...which it is wether anyone likes it or not.

my point was that it looks like the same bars i go to (bc they are) and it sounds like the same musicians in my area (bc it is) hence me saying it seems true to form. just because you don't like it or the musicians, or their acts, or whatever it is exactly you don't like (which no one is saying you aren't entitled to) doesn't mean it is being exploited.

i mean, should we now make up fictional states and fictional events going on in those places when creating a movie so that whatever state the story is based off of doesn't call themselves being 'explioted'?
Posted: May 6, 2009 4:39 pm

I watched the majority of the first three episodes this morning eating breakfast before work. There were some times where things seemed forced and a bit strained, but overall it was really cool to see some friends. My girlfriend came in and asked what the hell I was watching. At that point I was able to point at the screen and say "That little woman threatened me one night at the deli."

And, the Harlan performance had me singing about Paris all morning.
Posted: May 6, 2009 5:07 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

should we now make up fictional states and fictional events going on in those places when creating a movie so that whatever state the story is based off of doesn't call themselves being 'explioted'?

uhhh...the whole thing is fictional. I dont get what part of this is real/documentary. Sure some folks use their real names...but it is fiction.

Exploitation is the only word to describe Craig's work. It isnt necessarily a bad term, its just what filmakers do...especially ones that give you the first establishing shot of a singer songwriter in her panties...that really gives you an idea of her work as a musician...or having the african american characters have fucking ridiculous "southern"/"rural" accents that dont really exsist anywhere on the planet. Its fiction and exploitation. Hustle and Flow was exploitation, Black Snake Moan was exploitation...

I mean im glad some hard working people (Bomar, Harlan, Jack O, etc.) got some $$$ and the possibilty of more workout of it..thats a good thing. But calling this cinema verite is silly
Posted: May 6, 2009 5:52 pm

This show is past the point of laughably bad. It tries way too hard to be clever and hip and just falls flat. The dialogue is not believable, the story is boring and trite and the acting is terrible. Yeah it's cool to see a goner shirt on TV, but the show is just boring as hell.

I mean I'd rather have something completely outrageous than this lame attempt at drama. How about Jack O gets captured by that Muck Sticky guy. Then River City Tanlines and Box Elders get together and dress up as fancy caterers at one of Mucks party's so they can infiltrate his mansion. Then at the last minute Jack Stands and Harlan T Bobo finally put away their long standing feud to defeat the robots from outer space. Then somehow there is a super fun beach party at the hi-tone.
Posted: May 6, 2009 8:18 pm

Memphis has a beach?
Posted: May 6, 2009 8:28 pm

you lookin for a place to park?
Posted: May 6, 2009 8:33 pm

Oh crap I meant to say Box of Feelings, not Box Elders. This Boxwave shit is getting old.
Posted: May 6, 2009 8:59 pm

boxwavves.
Posted: May 6, 2009 9:00 pm

blackwolf.
Posted: May 6, 2009 9:00 pm

okay, I was waiting to see if I'd read a guy complain about seeing a girl in her panties. done.
Posted: May 6, 2009 9:52 pm

okay, I was waiting to see if I'd read a guy complain about seeing a girl in her panties. done.

HEE-HAW!!!
Posted: May 6, 2009 9:53 pm

if it were about any other scene, goners wouldn't be watching it to begin with. duh.
Posted: May 6, 2009 10:16 pm

yeah, but we looooove our rock of love.
Posted: May 6, 2009 10:38 pm

yeah, real bummer on that one ... ???
Posted: May 6, 2009 10:39 pm | Edited by: Rich Balls

blackwolf.

AIDS Box
Posted: May 6, 2009 11:45 pm

oh damn. i forgot that was on mtv. i never watch it at my house so i was thinking vh1 was responsible like they have been with all the other terrible reality tv shows that i love watching. heheh.
Posted: May 7, 2009 12:53 am

yeah, real bummer on that one ... ???

Hahahaha

I never said it was reality tv or real. I said the portrayal of memphis was true to form. i was only saying i liked watching it. dayum! haha ;)

my point about making up fake places and names still stands. for example your comment about the southern accents being out of place or overdone...are you going to cast a supposed memphis character with a bronx accent? would someone from memphis then be offended due to 'exploitation' or someone from the bronx? it is what it is. you don't have to like it. but i can thank them for the publicity it is bringing to this city and many of it's businesses, leagues, musicians, artists, etc. And all of the 'Flipside' videos aired in conjunction to $5 Cover aren't fiction; they are essentially mini documentaries.

I am with ya essentially. I swore I wasn't going to watch it, I did. But my friends that saw it told me how everyone was at all the places we hang out and everyone in it was people we know and everyone in it was wearing some kind of local business or band t shirt. as a marketing director myself, I got curious.
Posted: May 7, 2009 1:47 am

you guys are fucking delusional if you think this shit is gonna do much for anyone involved .. No one is watching this shit online and most people have and will turn it within the first minute.. Its like a big inside joke that no one outside of Memphis cares about ..Oh an numbers don't lie..

episode 1 Views 7,518
episode 2 Views 3,322
episode 3 Views 2,296
Posted: May 7, 2009 1:55 am

you lookin for a place to park?

I really don't wanna make out with you
quit with the desperation
Posted: May 7, 2009 1:58 am

episode 1 Views 7,518
episode 2 Views 3,322
episode 3 Views 2,296

Just stream of consciousness, no relation, no point. I laughed.
Posted: May 7, 2009 10:32 am

oh damn. i forgot that was on mtv. i never watch it at my house so i was thinking vh1 was responsible like they have been with all the other terrible reality tv shows that i love watching. heheh.

no it is on vh1, just saying, different errrrm... "scene" or whatever.
Posted: May 7, 2009 1:02 pm

"scene" or whatever.

i guess you could call it that. ex-hair band/groupie scene. heheh. total trainwreck. i think that's why i want to watch it. it's so bad i can't look away.
Posted: May 7, 2009 1:48 pm

scene" or whatever.

i guess you could call it that. ex-hair band/groupie scene. heheh. total trainwreck. i think that's why i want to watch it. it's so bad i can't look away

yeah. exactly like that. i mean, they aren't actors, so it isn;t gonna seem like the best acting. but, thats kinda the charm.
Posted: May 7, 2009 2:42 pm

I guess I was expecting "Slacker" but this is more like a daytime soap. Some cool moments. probably check out the next ones.
Posted: May 7, 2009 3:35 pm

This is pretty funny. Leave it to the retard to know what "reality" actually is.
Posted: May 7, 2009 3:37 pm

Better than at least half of the web TV shows I've seen.

Pretty boring overall, I'm just waiting for the boobies to come out, cuz I don't know these people and ain't been to Memphis since 1981.
Posted: May 7, 2009 4:39 pm

This is pretty funny. Leave it to the retard to know what "reality" actually is.
Man I'm more realistic than any idiot that thinks this garbage is gonna do anything for anybody.How about his for realty no increases in any of the musicians myspaces . I doubt any extra records sold no "real" money from Mtv ( independent skateboard videos pay more than mtv) and like I said before no one is watching them ..Just saw a video of a guy jerking it in a car that someone posted on here that had 440,000 more views in half the amount of time ..
Posted: May 7, 2009 6:21 pm

Valerie June is not doing an accent. She really talks like that.
Posted: May 7, 2009 8:33 pm

Just saw a video of a guy jerking it in a car

i thought i deleted that!!!
Posted: May 7, 2009 8:42 pm

haven't seen it but i bet most of these bands would take it in the ass for $$$$$ fucking hacks now excuse me i'm gonna go see shellac in holland i don't do what the tv tells me godamn it someone should just grab the mic and scream LISTEN TO THE BIG BOYS !!! or START YOUR OWN BAND !! oer and over again barrrrf
Posted: May 7, 2009 8:58 pm

haven't seen it but i bet shellac take it in the ass for $$$$$ fucking hacks i do what the tv tells me godamn it someone should just grab the BIG BOYS over and over again and barrrrf on it
Posted: May 8, 2009 10:32 am

Ha!

But it was done with such, I dont know, lame-ness?...a Gilmore Girl type in her hanes-for-her. Could have been done better.

Shit, if he was a real exploitation director, we would have seen Amy bend over for her sheet music pantyless and saw some pucker.
Posted: May 8, 2009 10:54 am

How about Jack O gets captured by that Muck Sticky guy. Then River City Tanlines and Box Elders get together and dress up as fancy caterers at one of Mucks party's so they can infiltrate his mansion. Then at the last minute Jack Stands and Harlan T Bobo finally put away their long standing feud to defeat the robots from outer space. Then somehow there is a super fun beach party at the hi-tone.

BEST IDEA EVER. Tell Craig that I want to see this!
Posted: May 8, 2009 12:12 pm

here's a link to the Jack documentary Alan, Eileen and I made:

http://5dollarcoveramplified.com/home/?video=jack
Posted: May 8, 2009 1:08 pm

whoah.
Posted: May 8, 2009 1:20 pm

i mean, that's some raw shit there.
Posted: May 8, 2009 1:27 pm

How about Jack O gets captured by that Muck Sticky guy. Then River City Tanlines and Box Elders get together and dress up as fancy caterers at one of Mucks party's so they can infiltrate his mansion. Then at the last minute Jack Stands and Harlan T Bobo finally put away their long standing feud to defeat the robots from outer space. Then somehow there is a super fun beach party at the hi-tone.

Did I mention the best friend is a talking pie?
Posted: May 8, 2009 2:21 pm

Just saw a video of a guy jerking it in a car

i thought i deleted that!!!

hahahaha
Posted: May 8, 2009 2:24 pm

Super Fun Beach Party at

BUD BOOGIE BEACH!
Posted: May 8, 2009 2:24 pm

http://5dollarcoveramplified.com/home/?video=jack

NICE!
Posted: May 8, 2009 2:36 pm

fuck. that airline on the washing machine. good shot.
Posted: May 8, 2009 2:50 pm

great little mini doc. loved it!
Posted: May 8, 2009 2:52 pm

Harlan's sex ed video featuring T. Prudhomme, the man of a thousand voices, and Andria, the rockabilly monkey-faced girl...
http://5dollarcoveramplified.com/home/?video=harlan

The Amplified and Flipside stuff is interesting, entertaining, and REAL. Probably not what MTV was looking for.
Posted: May 8, 2009 3:12 pm

haven't seen it but i bet shellac take it in the ass for $$$$$ fucking hacks i do what the tv tells me godamn it someone should just grab the BIG BOYS over and over again and barrrrf on it
hahahaha
Posted: May 8, 2009 3:26 pm

Just saw all 3 episodes...(is that all?) ..not bad..

Brent from No Comply! Ben Nichols from Lucero!....Holy shit....

everybodys in this thing...

good job Andria!
Posted: May 8, 2009 3:46 pm

VERY cool! Great job.
Posted: May 8, 2009 4:16 pm

The Amplified and Flipside stuff is interesting, entertaining, and REAL. Probably not what MTV was looking for.

Yeah this stuff is cool ... The Jack thing was great !!!
Posted: May 8, 2009 4:43 pm

thanks for the props ya'll! i got to produce the docs on Harlan (yep, somehow I got talked into wearing a monkey mask at about 4AM one night), Al Kapeezy, Jack, Alicja, Ben Nichols, and Cody D.
Posted: May 8, 2009 4:43 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Posted: May 8, 2009 4:47 pm

that bobo video is pretty cool
Posted: May 8, 2009 4:48 pm

the bobo video is the only one you can watch outside of the u.s
Posted: May 9, 2009 10:57 am

Episode with Jack in it, only playing in background.

Karen Foster on toilet is the best thing in there. Good work.
Posted: May 9, 2009 2:14 pm

Nice job Andria...best one I've seen yet.
Posted: May 9, 2009 2:21 pm

andria = top quality.
Posted: May 9, 2009 3:47 pm

Elton Britt on an 8 track!

good job Andria!!!

"Jack the Riffer" - that made me smile.

i hope folks who aren't from memphis watch these to get a feel for who these people really are...
Posted: May 9, 2009 4:11 pm

gin blossoms and all.
Posted: May 9, 2009 5:45 pm

you ain't blossoming, you ain't been trying.
Posted: May 9, 2009 5:45 pm

are you talking about andria's amazing drumming in harlan's video?

if so, totally agree.
Posted: May 9, 2009 6:13 pm

jack's nose! but it actually looks better than i've seen it in the pabst. errr... past.
Posted: May 11, 2009 12:03 am

yeah, Andria could try but she couldn't disguise her cute little voice.

On Jay's comments about the numbers...well I assume you got those from the website, but it's also on regular tv and also the bands' videos are being showed on mtv, there are all the side docs and then the soundtrack is being sold. There are performance, download, and mechanical royalties to eventually collect. It will also eventually go to European mtv. There is bound to be a sweet opportunity for at least someone involved. Some of the bands are out there touring and it's an easy way to spark a little more interest in their live shows. The series is the foundation for a managerie sounds and people and interests beyond what's shown on mtv. It leaves the viewer a chance to take what they want and leave the rest.

And if only one thing comes out of it let it be that Andria gets to interview U2 !!!!!
Posted: May 11, 2009 12:33 am

I'm totally on MTV all the time.
Posted: May 11, 2009 12:39 am

Any memphis publicity is GOOD publicity...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®