Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Thee Oh Sees - Help
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 10:40 pm

Every so often an album comes along that will consistently startle your dog. Thee Oh Sees "Help" is such an album!

So glad I went and found a joint to smoke before I put the needle down on this one! Listen as soon as you can!!!
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 9:29 am

it's a good one!
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 9:32 am

i can't stop listening to it. so close to a perfect 10. i love when they do some turtles on side 2.
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 9:32 am

and the flute on that one song on side one... NICE!!!
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 9:48 am

That's rock flute, it killS!
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 12:16 pm

Why are all of my favorite records always from SF?
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm

you really want me to answer that?
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 12:33 pm

THE LAND OF FRUITS & NUTS!

as Michael Savage says…
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 12:36 pm

And why isn't anybody talking about the new Wooden Shjips album too?
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 12:48 pm

as Michael Savage says

somebody needs to croak that blowhard.

And why isn't anybody talking about the new Wooden Shjips album too?

killer?
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 12:50 pm

This record is great! Went to see them play the other night too. So freakin' good. One of the best surprises from Gonerfest last year IMO. Dwyer wins again!
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 12:55 pm

killer?

Totally. SF is ruling it right now. Best 2 NEW records I've bought in years. AND amazing reishes are dropping like crazy what with the Eddie Hazel solo album and these MONK blues reishes and stuff. It's SICK!
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 2:38 pm

I dig it but prefer ...Master's Bedroom....

Is that sooo wrong?
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 6:54 pm | Edited by: Janderass

Master's Bedroom was fantastic. This one is just more bombastic and wild!

Think I'll go get the Kid Congo and Wooden Shjips records this weekend, and catch up with the rest of the current ITR roster.

This OCS video rules:
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 6:59 pm

so like... how many typically non-itr/ goner/ etc type music fans will buy this album? it's gonna be huge across the board, right? how come every time i turn on the philly station they play garbage? they need to play this album all the time.
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 7:56 pm

i needs it
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 8:18 pm

I'm REAL into the Wooden Shjips at the moment. Must get new one. Eric? You got it? I need to place an order.
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 8:42 pm

Rip Off Records is out of SF, my friend. Do you want me to autograph your Chinese Millionaires LP now?
Posted: May 1, 2009 10:39 am

got new Wooden Shjips. It's good. (it's not on the cart now but i'll update it in a second... we have a few copies in the store not being bought by walk-in psychedelic fatsos.)

Also get that Charles Albright 7"... killer.

Coming next week: Eat Skull... and after that Tyvek lp!
Posted: May 1, 2009 11:15 am

Pretty apt review for Oh Sees here:
http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/4954
Posted: May 1, 2009 11:16 am

. . . and since I can't stop talking about and listening to this record.

Anybody know what the press amount is on the ice cream pink vinyl?
Posted: May 1, 2009 11:34 am

SF is ruling it right now

http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php?action=vthread&forum=8&to pic=38852

Goner Board scoops 'em again!!!
Posted: May 1, 2009 11:49 am

Pretty apt review for Oh Sees here:
http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/4954

damn, i wish i wasn't too dumb to write like that! i can't describe shit for shinola. at least i know why i like stuff in what's left of my mind.
Posted: May 1, 2009 12:11 pm

i wished he'd talked more about how reverb, fuzz and echo kick ass
Posted: May 1, 2009 12:23 pm

i can do that!
Posted: May 1, 2009 1:07 pm

joe, in 300 words or less, tell us what reverb, fuzz and echo mean to you on the new oh sees lp!
go!
Posted: May 1, 2009 1:09 pm

FUUUUUUCKED!!!
Posted: May 1, 2009 1:51 pm

eric pastlame has offically become too big for his skinny little gay britches:

"Had high hopes, but it mostly just sits there. The "hit," "Ruby Go Home," is the high watermark; from then on, however, it's mostly fair-to-middling stuff, and there are a couple of songs that strike me as dead throwaways. Really like 'em live, though."
Posted: May 1, 2009 4:51 pm

Yeah, I'm sure I Am Not Marty Feldman could do a lot better...
Posted: May 1, 2009 5:12 pm

Master's Bedroom was fantastic. This one is just more bombastic and wild!

conquered this dilemma w/ a back 2 back cd burn of both for the beach and the car...'meat step lively/ghost in the trees' wuz a head turner on the sand last Sunday from the ghetto blaster!
Posted: May 1, 2009 7:43 pm

it mostly just sits there.
So out of touch. Sad but maybe we'll see a good set sale out of this.
Posted: May 1, 2009 9:49 pm

is anyone else a bigger fan of the OCS/Cool Death of the Island Raider's era stuff??
Posted: May 1, 2009 10:04 pm

walk-in psychedelic fatsos
Those guys were great at Memphis in May last year!
Posted: May 2, 2009 2:07 am

Boogiddy...
Posted: May 2, 2009 3:10 pm

s anyone else a bigger fan of the OCS/Cool Death of the Island Raider's era stuff??
I really dig that stuff and especially Sucks Blood. The new stuff is great, but I like their spooky folk a lot as well.
Posted: May 2, 2009 9:21 pm

they so killed me at gonerfest 5!!! just in case... gonerfest is a music fest that happens every year in september in memphis hosted by the good people at goner records... ;)
Posted: May 13, 2009 11:31 am

What's the name of the song with the flute on it?
Posted: May 13, 2009 12:23 pm

From someone who is consistently nonplussed by so much new crap...

I LOVE THIS ONE!!!
Posted: May 13, 2009 12:42 pm

Posted: May 13, 2009 12:46 pm

I was at that show! Name of the flute song?
Posted: May 13, 2009 12:54 pm

I found it.
Posted: May 13, 2009 1:12 pm

i just found out i'll be seeing thee oh sees in san francisco on friday!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!
Posted: May 13, 2009 1:48 pm

You suuuuuck! I'm dying for a chance to see them, looks like they're hitting a bad ass stride live from what I've seen on YouTube!
Posted: May 13, 2009 1:51 pm

thank you! hahaha lol
Posted: May 13, 2009 7:02 pm

I'm dying for a chance to see them
GFVI amigo
Posted: May 13, 2009 11:20 pm | Edited by: Janderass

Too much goin' on in Memphis this summer! Maybe they'll swing down this way before or after, of course the Gamblers won't though. If it were entirely up to me it wouldn't be much of an issue to go twice, but, you know . . .
Posted: May 14, 2009 8:33 am

i just found out i'll be seeing thee oh sees in san francisco on friday!

maybe going to see them in June here in L.A." EH WHO KNOWS?
Posted: May 14, 2009 2:19 pm | Edited by: benwah

can't get enough oh sees..
guess they're doing something w/ WFMU and Free Music Archive...here's
a pretty good live show from a month ago + peanut butter oven ++

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Thee_Oh_Sees/
Posted: May 14, 2009 2:40 pm

I wish that Larry would join the mp3 download with purchase of vinyl club, because I'm far too lazy to do it myself.
Posted: May 14, 2009 3:11 pm

a.h. kraken & submarince races come with free cd's.
Posted: May 14, 2009 3:13 pm

The vinyl should be free too. In fact, In THe Red should pay us!
Posted: May 16, 2009 1:38 pm

Helluva record. I (and my next door neighbors) have listened to it 3-4 times today. This record reminds me why life is all worthwhile after all.
Posted: May 17, 2009 8:26 pm

gonna be leaving sf in a couple hours. at daggerman's place right now. we went and FLIPPED at thee oh sees show friday night. john dwyer dedicated a song to me! these motherfuckers cannot be beat. christine who really doesn't even care about most current bands was up front going berzerk the whole time with me. got loads of pics, but i just used my digital camera instead of the pentax cuz i was sure i'd blow it. also, just went on bought the "zorks tape bruise" lp (weird tinted clear wax!) around the corner from here at grooves, next door to it's tops diner. which by the way was tops! peanut butter and chocolate shake was deadly good.

oh motherfucking sees, motherfuckers.
Posted: May 17, 2009 10:22 pm

Please don't tell my parents I had more than three beers tonight, faggot.
Posted: May 18, 2009 11:24 am

john dwyer dedicated a song to me!

HIGH FIVE!

I saw Thee Oh Sees on Saturday @ a roadhouse near Woodland, CA and they went off. My sideburns got a shout out from John Dwyer at the beginning of their set. Chris Woodhouse played a second set of drums on the last two songs. Shit was killer.
Posted: May 18, 2009 11:51 am

We are selling tons of Help, Zork's and the new Woodsist 7". Oh Sees rule. I Am Not Marty Feldman should go back to Chicago. And take Gaylick with him.
Posted: May 18, 2009 2:33 pm

I was up front going wild last time they played Glasslands while you were probably back at the homestead, dumping talc in your long johns and typing Bazooka "Matt Drudge of the Message Board Underworld" Joe love letters.
Posted: May 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Your Chrome Cranks worship is pretty sad too.
Posted: May 18, 2009 3:00 pm

Probably not as sad as the Action Swingers reunion that approximately three people gave half a fuck about. Cue the cute lil' scumrock shittalk, but remember that Bob Bert still has all his hair, asshole.
Posted: May 18, 2009 4:19 pm

You come off like an idiot when you bad-mouth bands like The Oh Sees and The Action Swingers. But then again you must be filled with disappointment since you can't have your own great band. You and Elrick are like the remedial students of Rock N Roll. You got it all completely wrong. Now go listen to your Chrome Crank Cd's poseur.
Posted: May 18, 2009 6:20 pm

who's matt drudge? i ain't that hip and don't really keep up on alot.

and cecil, i finally realized that ridiculous "review" you wrote for "help" might have actually been a pm you sent to matt v, and not a published opinion. if so, he's dumb for sending it to me, and i'm sorry for posting in public if it was indeed supposed to be private. you're still wrong about the album and deserve to be humilated though.
Posted: May 18, 2009 7:42 pm

I need a zork tape bruise.
Posted: May 18, 2009 8:23 pm

I posted it publicly, but good god, who cares? I defended the Coachwhips some four years back much in the same way you're currently defending the Oh Sees and the worst songs on their current LP sound like Coachwhips redux with a lesser impact. Big deal. I like the 'em and I just didn't & don't think this LP is the big deal I was led to believe it was but my opinion hardly matters and I wasn't trying to pretend it did. I'll continue to go see 'em anytime they're in town and I won't buy the recs. Hardly a crime. Now continue picking your ass with Ned's false teeth.
Posted: May 18, 2009 11:43 pm

the worst songs on their current LP sound like Coachwhips redux with a lesser impact.

but compared to the 99% killers on there (and might i add briliantly sequenced killers) your lack of enthusiasm leads me to believe you have become a crotchety gray haired curmudgeon. new york was apparently the worst move you ever made. you should come down here for a visit and let me and 16 help you out with an attitude adjustement. i think maybe all that hanging out with mike diaper has dampened your happiness.
Posted: May 19, 2009 10:39 am

Pastlame doesn't like it because it's not some limited edition 12" that only he and Mike Stiper know about and is on a label with actual distribution so regular people can buy it too not just creeps who hang out all day in the Academy me'ns room .
Posted: May 19, 2009 11:38 am

Been playin it alot to check if I wasn't trippin'.
I wasn't.
The more I hear it, the more I hate it.
It's not a bad band, but this record sucks ass.

It's Broadway Punk.
Posted: May 19, 2009 1:32 pm

you musta got confused when you were looking for records on the NEW RED ARCHIVES label.
Posted: May 21, 2009 10:04 am

Posted: May 21, 2009 10:34 am

you musta got confused when you were looking for records on the NEW RED ARCHIVES label.

I was born confused, so nope.
But I just cannot believe this turd of a record does it for you. You must be goin through penopause.
Coachwips records suck too. But not as bad as Help.

All y'all are stoopid.
Posted: May 21, 2009 10:48 am

you're stupid, stupid.

article on Dwyer & HELP!

that about sums it up. i'm gonna post that shit everywhere.
Posted: May 21, 2009 11:01 am

Stupid Stupid?
Hey, tone down or I get my sister to kick yo' ass.

I am playin The Hospitals - Rainy Day a lot.
You should be doin that too.
And if you scream for help, I'll get my sister to save yo' ass.
Deal?
Posted: May 21, 2009 12:33 pm

back to the Oh Sees, here's Zac quoted in article on Dwyer & HELP!

Best part of the article!

That medium will be tested again later this year, as Thee Oh Sees already have a full album's worth of material ready for the studio.
Posted: May 21, 2009 12:42 pm

There are "show-ers" and "grow-ers" and this'un is definitely in the 2nd category.

(I'm all like...Whaaaat? I'm diggin' it now?)
Posted: May 21, 2009 7:22 pm

two measures in and i was hooked
Posted: May 21, 2009 11:48 pm

two measures in and i was hooked

that's what it took for me, too, and then it just kept on with these levels and highs and lows and melodies and rhythms and noises and...
Posted: May 22, 2009 3:43 pm

The Tidal Wave single is dope. The a-side sounds like it could have been on the Tropicalia comp.
Posted: May 22, 2009 5:45 pm | Edited by: Rich Balls

the Eat Skull LP is great too.
http://www.myspace.com/eatskull
Posted: May 22, 2009 6:57 pm

Eat Skull record is great! Supposedly they're disavowing it? Huh?

And haven't deciphered "Fuck Eat Skull" on the new In The Red Intelligence record... hmmmmmmmm.

pretty sure jay's doing a split oh sees/ jay reatard single. wheeeeee!
Posted: May 22, 2009 8:44 pm

FUCK OCS And anyine whos name startr wiith an L.

"Doyouknowyourenemy!BlaalbalaEnemy,Blablablaenemyblabarf!l
Posted: May 22, 2009 9:07 pm

oAyohAH!"
Posted: May 22, 2009 9:29 pm

________pacpacpacpacpac
_____paccpacpacpapapacpac
_pacpacpacpacpacpacpacpacpac
pacpacpacpac______pacpacpacpac
pacpacpacpac_____pacpacpacpac
_______________pacpacpacpac
___________pacpacpacpac
________pacpacpacpac
______pacpacpacpac
____pacpacpacpac
__pacpacpacpac
_pacpacpacpac
pacpacpacpac
pacpacpacpacpacpacpacpacpacpac
Posted: May 22, 2009 9:32 pm

Eazy-E Eazy-E Eazy-E Eazy-E Eazy-E Eazy E
Eazy-E Eazy-E
Eazy-E Eazy-E
Eazy-E Eazy-E
Eazy-E Eazy-E
Eazy-E Eazy-E
Eazy-E Eazy-E
Posted: May 22, 2009 9:36 pm

Ketel One, THIS is Vodka!
Posted: May 26, 2009 10:18 pm

Boy this record is worthwhile. I listen to it all the time and I'm not just saying that.
Posted: Jun 22, 2009 10:09 am

"zorks tape bruise" lp

Picked one up at Goner this weekend. Haven't gotten to listen to the LP part yet but thoroughly enjoyed the zoned-out sound of the companion CD despite the fact that that freakin' "Kingsmeat" song nearly killed us! My girlfriend was driving and we were all so spaced out from the weekend and the music when she falls asleep at the wheel flying down 78 and drove us off the road into a dramatic slide on the side of the highway!

No harm was done in the end, and in fact, because of that incident I no longer had to answer for any of my shenanigans of the weekend.

I blame Thee Oh Sees for nearly killing us though. Definitely some wizardry on that disk!
Posted: Jun 22, 2009 11:22 am

________gaygaygaygaygay
_____gaycgaygaypacagaygay
_gaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygay
gaygaygaygay______gaygaygaygay
gaygaygaygay_____gaygaygaygay
_______________gaygaygaygay
___________gaygaygaygay
________gaygaygaygay
______gaygaygaygay
____gaygaygaygay
__gaygaygaygay
_gaygaygaygay
gaygaygaygay
gaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygay
Posted: Jun 22, 2009 11:24 am

Lose-R Lose-R Lose-R Lose-R Lose-R Eazy E
Lose-R Lose-R
Lose-R Lose-R
Lose-R Lose-R
Lose-R Lose-R
Lose-R Lose-R
Lose-R Lose-R
Posted: Jun 22, 2009 11:29 am

You bout to get a cap popped in yo azz
Posted: Jun 22, 2009 11:29 am

cuz 2pac is still alive and reading the Goner board!
Posted: Sep 21, 2009 12:49 pm | Edited by: Janderass

us anyone else a bigger fan of the OCS/Cool Death of the Island Raider's era stuff??
I really dig that stuff and especially Sucks Blood. The new stuff is great, but I like their spooky folk a lot as well.

Sucks Blood provides excellent soundtrack at my weekly D&D game! Gotta get Cool Death now!
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 8:50 am

Last night Thee Oh Sees and Fresh and Onlys played our little house (The Compound) here in Provo, Utah. It was honestly one of the best nights of my life! Everybody in the bands were super cool, I bought Mr. Dwyer a carnitas burrito, and Deadcityrebel was crowd surfing!

I'm sure DCR himself will be awake sometime this afternoon to tell you all about it...but I just had to add my testimonial to this thread.
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 3:31 pm

DCR - WAKE UP ALREADY!!!! Waitin' all day!

Where's the pics? How long did they play? Will OCS play MY house??!?
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 9:55 pm

the pics are in my camera, and i think they played a goo 30-45 mins. very fun set. john kept walking the dog.
the crowd surfing was accidental. i was trying to get a good shot standing on my couch and lost my balance teetered into the crowd and before i knew it i was surfing. got some good photos of the ceiling.
john kept kissing me on the forehead.
things didn't work out between lady oh see and i, so you'll all be seeing her at gonerfest in a few days.
also, petey dammit may give eric a run for his money in the tucked in shirt dept.
i gotta be honest, fresh and onlys made it tough for me to decide which band i loved more, holy shit. go see these dudes if you can. and buy all of their records.
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 8:21 am

fresh and only's have alot more in common with thee oh sees soundwise than king tuff, so how come so many people were recommending them to me when i went off about how much i love thee oh sees? also, i've only heard the fresh and only's single on trouble in mind, and that was yesterday. really cool record.
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 8:46 am

i've only heard the fresh and only's single on trouble in mind, and that was yesterday. really cool record.

so you got your records? - good.
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 8:56 am

that sure was a sweet package, mah man.
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 10:58 am

i need to order that shit. got their new lp, haven't listened yet though
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 10:39 pm

Will OCS play MY house??!?

Maybe, or you can move to Utah and be DCR's roommate and see lots of cool bands. Like next month when the Fresh and Only's and Box Elders are coming through!!!

Its been two days since those guys played and I'm still on sort of a high. Thee Oh Sees totally blew my mind, and that new Dog Poison record kicks ass. I got the cd at the show and I love it. Lots of layers and crazy sounds on there, and more flute!!!
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 12:00 am | Edited by: deadcityrebel

more flute!!!
and its different from the flute on help. the dog poison cd rules. fun catchy upbeat shit.

also, fresh'n'onlys grey eyed girl lp is very solid.
Posted: May 23, 2010 10:31 am

Cool Oh Sees video, some familiar faces in there!

I can't believe the drool.
Posted: May 25, 2010 11:00 am

Loved that.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®